PDA

View Full Version : Maggs breaks ankle!

Zisk77
07-24-2010, 09:53 PM
CBS sportsline reports maggs fractured ankle today.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/gametracker/recap/MLB_20100724_TOR@DET

doublem23
07-24-2010, 09:58 PM
Sucks for Maggs, but I'm not going to lose sleep over the injuries that are ravaging the Tigers staring lineup.

Viva Medias B's
07-24-2010, 10:48 PM
Sounds like what happened to Robin Ventura in 1997 during a spring training game.

Rockabilly
07-24-2010, 10:57 PM
Also Carlos Guillen was injured in the game

doublem23
07-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Sounds like what happened to Robin Ventura in 1997 during a spring training game.

Ventura's injury was much, much more severe. Not only did he break his ankle, he dislocated it and was feared lost for the season. He had to be carted off the field, his foot basically broke off his leg (held on by the skin, of course).

Maggs could return this year. He was able to walk off the field with help.

BleacherBandit
07-24-2010, 11:05 PM
With this injury and Inge's do you think this will become a two-horse race?

Rockabilly
07-24-2010, 11:09 PM
Tigers will have $65 million available for next year's team. I could see the Tigers going after Jayson Werth now.

twinsuck
07-25-2010, 12:22 AM
O-e-no!!!

thomas35forever
07-25-2010, 12:46 AM
We're in a perfect position to pull away from Detroit. Let's do it.

Nellie_Fox
07-25-2010, 01:04 AM

Ventura's injury was much, much more severe. Not only did he break his ankle, he dislocated it and was feared lost for the season. He had to be carted off the field, his foot basically broke off his leg (held on by the skin, of course).

Maggs could return this year. He was able to walk off the field with help.
Yeah, I've seen both. Maggs's isn't even close. I couldn't even see what caused the injury to Maggs. Ventura's foot got turned 180 and was facing the wrong way.

BadBobbyJenks
07-25-2010, 01:25 AM
This is looking like a two horse race now. Inge, Mags and a pitching staff that sucks after Verlander anyway.

kittle42
07-25-2010, 02:28 AM
Let's get into the playoffs as the best of the worst in the Central and lose in the first round to Tampa Bay! [/2008]

Zakath
07-25-2010, 03:43 AM
We're in a perfect position to pull away from Detroit. Let's do it.

We were in a pretty good position anyway, with Detroit having a very nasty schedule from now through the end of August.

This will just make their road trips to Tampa, Boston, here, and New York even tougher.

Konerkoholic
07-25-2010, 03:47 AM
Let's get into the playoffs as the best of the worst in the Central and lose in the first round to Tampa Bay! [/2008]

I say yes to A and no to B.

hawkjt
07-25-2010, 09:31 AM

You prefer the alternative of not making the playoffs?
We would most likely face the Yanks,not the Rays...ok,not much different.
Can't win if you don't get in.

LITTLE NELL
07-25-2010, 09:49 AM
You prefer the alternative of not making the playoffs?
We would most likely face the Yanks,not the Rays...ok,not much different.
Can't win if you don't get in.

And anything can happen in a short series.

doublem23
07-25-2010, 09:55 AM
And anything can happen in a short series.

Yeah, if Javy could have held that lead in Game 1, there's no reason to think we couldn't have won that series.

Even with the water-downed playoffs nowadays, making the postseason in baseball is a huge deal, especially for a team that looked completely dead as late as June.

Oblong
07-25-2010, 10:03 AM
His ankle was already bothering him. He said before the game he wasn't going to play in the OF until it got better. Some are questioning Lamont's decison to send him home from 1B on Cabrera's double. I don't buy it. He was goingto break/fracture it anyway.

Guillen's injury is no big deal, he's already played more than I expected this year anyway.

The lineup's going to be full of rookies (Jackson, Boesch, Worth, Sizemore, Rhymes), second year playrs (Avila), and bench guys (Santiago, Larish, Raburn).

Just call them the Mud Hens..... oh well.

hawkjt
07-25-2010, 10:29 AM
His ankle was already bothering him. He said before the game he wasn't going to play in the OF until it got better. Some are questioning Lamont's decison to send him home from 1B on Cabrera's double. I don't buy it. He was goingto break/fracture it anyway.

Guillen's injury is no big deal, he's already played more than I expected this year anyway.

The lineup's going to be full of rookies (Jackson, Boesch, Worth, Sizemore, Rhymes), second year playrs (Avila), and bench guys (Santiago, Larish, Raburn).

Just call them the Mud Hens..... oh well.

Just never know, some of those youngsters have played well for the Tigers this year. And it appears that next year the Tigers could quickly pivot and re-build on youth and new freed up Free Agent money with Maggs's contract kaput. Now that they have ownership that is willing to spend, Tigers are going to be hanging around...unlike the Tribe and KC.

kjhanson
07-25-2010, 10:37 AM

You're right. What are we thinking? We should tank the last 65 games and try to get a top 10 draft pick. I hear there's this high school pitcher who could help us by 2013.

Foulke You
07-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Just never know, some of those youngsters have played well for the Tigers this year. And it appears that next year the Tigers could quickly pivot and re-build on youth and new freed up Free Agent money with Maggs's contract kaput. Now that they have ownership that is willing to spend, Tigers are going to be hanging around...unlike the Tribe and KC.
I agree. The loss of Maggs hurts the Tigers right now but the option not vesting could be a huge plus for them going into next year. They could still get Maggs back for the final stretch drive if the Tigers continue to hang around in the race too.

theamb
07-25-2010, 01:07 PM
With this injury and Inge's do you think this will become a two-horse race?

Doubtful. Unless Detroit heads into a tailspin in the next week or two.

But they still have a viable triple crown candidate and that alone can still carry them.

Simply put, this division remains very mediocre and likley won't be decided until the very end.

kittle42
07-25-2010, 02:20 PM
You're right. What are we thinking? We should tank the last 65 games and try to get a top 10 draft pick. I hear there's this high school pitcher who could help us by 2013.

Yes, because that's what I meant.

What I'm saying is the fact that the Tigers have injuries piling up better not turn into an excuse for KW to not make a move to improve this team at the deadline and put it in a better position to be able to not only make the playoffs, but win once they're there.