PDA

View Full Version : Jenks irritated by challenge to 'prove myself'

DonnieDarko
07-24-2010, 08:32 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100723&content_id=12549602&notebook_id=12554148&vkey=notebook_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Zakath
07-24-2010, 08:52 AM
He shouldn't have to prove himself over and over again?

Sorry, Bobby, but this is the major leagues, and in the position you're in, yes, you do. You're paid to come in and get outs. That's it.

hawkjt
07-24-2010, 08:53 AM
I am ok with Bobby being a bit irritated. Just go out and win the job back,Bobby. Competition is ok. Lets hope we do not need a closer the rest of this trip like last nite...:D:

I love the quote from Ozzie on Carlos..'' He is like a bull before going into the ring when he DH's...he is always swinging..we wear him out when he DH's..'' But this is also why I am not sure Carlos is cut out to be a DH. The guy can run,as his stolen base showed...I think we need to play him in the outfield at least half the games. But, like Ozzie said, when he is in the lineup he makes other guys better,and just collects RBIs.
Any talk of trading him to get Dunn is dumb. He is almost as good as Dunn and will be cheap for a few more years,while Dunn would be gone in two months.

I hope Kenny just adds a smaller piece for prospects..none of our top ones.

BringHomeDaBacon
07-24-2010, 08:54 AM
If there's any position where "what have you done for me lately" rings true it's closer. The fact that it's his sixth year as closer doesn't necessarily warrant job security given the short lifespan of most closers. If anything it's a call for greater scrutiny.

Also, Bobby can let us know the next time Mariano Rivera is sporting an ERA over 5 and a WHIP over 1.5 at the end of July.

That said, I hope he gets back on track.

DonnieDarko
07-24-2010, 08:59 AM
If there's any position where "what have you done for me lately" rings true it's closer. The fact that it's his sixth year as closer doesn't necessarily warrant job security given the short lifespan of most closers. If anything it's a call for greater scrutiny.

Also, Bobby can let us know the next time Mariano Rivera is sporting an ERA over 5 and a WHIP over 1.5 at the end of July.

Pretty much my thoughts on the matter as well. GET OUT OF MY HEAD, MAN

flo-B-flo
07-24-2010, 10:23 AM
quit whining and get outs..........do your job..............

slavko
07-24-2010, 10:32 AM
I am ok with Bobby being a bit irritated. Just go out and win the job back,Bobby. Competition is ok. Lets hope we do not need a closer the rest of this trip like last nite...:D:

I love the quote from Ozzie on Carlos..'' He is like a bull before going into the ring when he DH's...he is always swinging..we wear him out when he DH's..'' But this is also why I am not sure Carlos is cut out to be a DH. The guy can run,as his stolen base showed...I think we need to play him in the outfield at least half the games. But, like Ozzie said, when he is in the lineup he makes other guys better,and just collects RBIs.
Any talk of trading him to get Dunn is dumb. He is almost as good as Dunn and will be cheap for a few more years,while Dunn would be gone in two months.

I hope Kenny just adds a smaller piece for prospects..none of our top ones.

Truth. The rest of you "grass is greener on the other side" guys:Learn it.

Dick Allen
07-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Yeah, well, we're irritated with him blowing two games in four days.

slavko
07-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Bobby sounds like an NBA starter who isn't hacking it. Making NBA money too. Shut up, strap it on, cinch it down, buckle it up, whatever.

dickallen15
07-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Bobby sounds like an NBA starter who isn't hacking it. Making NBA money too. Shut up, strap it on, cinch it down, buckle it up, whatever.

Using the NBA, could you imagine Michael Jordan saying something like Jenks said? He proved himself every night.

tstrike2000
07-24-2010, 11:06 AM
It's up to Bobby's sharp curve ball. When he has it, game over, and of course when not, it's Billy Koch time.

TDog
07-24-2010, 11:13 AM
Using the NBA, could you imagine Michael Jordan saying something like Jenks said? He proved himself every night.

That's only because Dan Dakich wasn't guarding him.

Domeshot17
07-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Bobby has to stop trying to rest on what he did in 2005 and 2006. I guess thats true for a lot of members of this team, players coaches and front office.

Ozzie's qoutes on Carlos are disappointing. He still doen't get how terrible Mark Kotsay is. I would not trade Carlos for Dunn (although Dunn is way better than Carlos, just not for 2 months of Dunn). However, I would take about 250 players over Kotsay as a DH right now.

manders_01
07-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Boo-****ing-hoo Bobby. :rolleyes: Like any other profession, your performance goes down and you get pulled into the boss' office. Sorry, but I can't help as read this as, "I've been doing it for 6 years and done it well so I'm entitled to do it." Bull****. You're going to need to prove yourself again.

I know there is a lot of anger in that post but he sounds like a 6-year-old complaining that life isn't fair. And that irritates me.

voodoochile
07-24-2010, 11:24 AM
I think Bobby's more irritated by the fact he'll have a harder time getting a big fat raise this winter if he doesn't get the chance to save 35+ games this season.

dwitt76
07-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Yeah, well, we're irritated with him blowing two games in four days.

Damn, you beat me to the punch with that one. :clap:

EdHerman12
07-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Once a closer starts showing signs of inconsistency...it's the beginning of the end. I truly believe he'll have more success than failure...but at this point with the position the Sox are in, they can't afford for him to fail especially when our starters are pitching so well and our hitters are hitting...That's frustrating for everyone...

tony1972
07-24-2010, 12:09 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100723&content_id=12549602&notebook_id=12554148&vkey=notebook_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

What a team player Jenks is !(teal)..:rolleyes:

Sorry..not only are you blowing games..but you sound like a very selfish player Bobby..

I'm getting tired of his antics on the mound and his attitude as well...

I'm sure Garcia and Floyd were 'irritated' to see their 2 to 3 hour great pitching performances choked away by you Bobby in less than 5 minutes because you couldn't get your crap together..!!

JB98
07-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Good. Glad to hear it. I'm glad he's pissed off. Maybe that will motivate him to pitch better.

GoGoCrede
07-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Good. Glad to hear it. I'm glad he's pissed off. Maybe that will motivate him to pitch better.

My thoughts exactly. This could be a really good thing.

soltrain21
07-24-2010, 12:33 PM
He does sort of come off like a baby about it. It's professional sports, Bobby. You have to "prove" yourself every time you go out there. Every player does.

Proving yourself every time is the same thing as, you know, being a good player.

BadBobbyJenks
07-24-2010, 12:43 PM
I don't really even understand the closer by committee stance anyway. Guy is reliever of the month, but then blows two saves and he is terrible. Huh?

DirtySox
07-24-2010, 12:51 PM
He comes across rather childish here. His peripherals are terrible. Needs to show he should be closing games again.

Craig Grebeck
07-24-2010, 12:55 PM
I don't really even understand the closer by committee stance anyway. Guy is reliever of the month, but then blows two saves and he is terrible. Huh?
He's not terrible, but he's clearly ineffective. It's clear that Putz can do the job; he has a track record, one arguably better than Bobby's.

Boondock Saint
07-24-2010, 12:56 PM

There's a difference between blowing two saves and giving up five hits, two walks and five runs without recording a single out that wasn't a sacrifice, all while getting the daylights hit out of you and being unable to throw a curveball over the plate.

BadBobbyJenks
07-24-2010, 01:05 PM
There's a difference between blowing two saves and giving up five hits, two walks and five runs without recording a single out that wasn't a sacrifice, all while getting the daylights hit out of you and being unable to throw a curveball over the plate.

Like I said two outings.

Where was the clamor for Thornton to get demoted to mop up duty when he sucked for 3 straight outings in June?

I think 5 years of closing earns you the right to try and work your way out of a funk without being demoted.

Craig Grebeck
07-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Like I said two outings.

Where was the clamor for Thornton to get demoted to mop up duty when he sucked for 3 straight outings in June?

I think 5 years of closing earns you the right to try and work your way out of a funk without being demoted.
I think what happened from 2005-2009 is wholly irrelevant. Jenks is a bullpen arm -- these guys lose it fast.

BadBobbyJenks
07-24-2010, 01:11 PM
I think what happened from 2005-2009 is wholly irrelevant. Jenks is a bullpen arm -- these guys lose it fast.

How do you explain the month of June of 2010 where he was perfect?

spongyfungy
07-24-2010, 01:14 PM
The point is there are better options at closer than him. Guillen named three of them in Putz, Santos, and Thornton

Craig Grebeck
07-24-2010, 01:15 PM
How do you explain the month of June of 2010 where he was perfect?
I don't think he lost it, necessarily, but I do think 2005-2009 are irrelevant to the discussion. How do I explain a good string like that? It was a good run, like Kotsay's May. This is why bullpen roles are so ****ing stupid. When a pitcher looks bad, you don't put him in high leverage situations. Let him work it out somehow, in low leverage situations or side sessions.

The fact is, in April, May, and July, Bobby has been subpar.

Boondock Saint
07-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Like I said two outings.

He gave up five earned against Detroit, I'll give you that. But the other two games where he "sucked", he gave up one run. Bobby has six games this year with two or more earned runs (2,3,3,3,2,2), while Matt has two (5,2). Bobby has given up two or more walks in an inning five times this year (2,2,3,2,2), while Matt has walked two men once this year. But please, keep talking about how Bobby deserves it more than Thornton because Bobby pitches last.

BadBobbyJenks
07-24-2010, 01:18 PM
But please, keep talking about how Bobby has been better than Thornton this year because Bobby pitches last.

Who said that? Please find it or don't make pointless statements.

shes
07-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Like I said two outings.

5 years of slightly above-average closing earns one exactly . . . nothing. Bobby is not an elite pitcher who is "in a funk" -- he has been slipping for a few years now. The end has been in sight. Closers who go from good to great to good to average to very bad do not go back to good again very often. While I don't believe he's as bad as the numbers indicate, he's also only the 3rd or 4th best option to close right now. You can't just continue to trot out your 3rd or 4th best reliever as your closer if you want to win a three-team race. It's non-sensical.

Craig Grebeck
07-24-2010, 01:19 PM
This is not some isolated occurrence. People aren't upset at Bobby because of the last two games. He's been less than stellar throughout the year.

Boondock Saint
07-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Who said that? Please find it or don't make pointless statements.

I already fixed it. But it still stands that Thornton deserves a second chance a lot more than Bobby does. Bobby has had rough outings all over the place this year, and 1-2-3 outings from Bobby have become the exception rather than the rule this year.

BadBobbyJenks
07-24-2010, 01:26 PM
5 years of slightly above-average closing earns one exactly . . . nothing. Bobby is not an elite pitcher who is "in a funk" -- he has been slipping for a few years now. The end has been in sight. Closers who go from good to great to good to average to very bad do not go back to good again very often. While I don't believe he's as bad as the numbers indicate, he's also only the 3rd or 4th best option to close right now. You can't just continue to trot out your 3rd or 4th best reliever as your closer if you want to win a three-team race. It's non-sensical.

To be honest I think the "Closer" is silly when the most important innings can just as well be the 7th or the 8th, but I have yet to see a manager play that game. We have guys in roles and our 9th inning guy was perfect in June and then is terrible for two games. I don't see what the rush is to change things. What difference does it make putting Jenks in the 7th or 9th especially considering how many people think Jenks sucks when he isn't in a closing situation.

Craig Grebeck
07-24-2010, 01:29 PM
To be honest I think the "Closer" is silly when the most important innings can just as well be the 7th or the 8th, but I have yet to see a manager play that game. We have guys in roles and our 9th inning guy was perfect in June and then is terrible for two games. I don't see what the rush is to change things. What difference does it make putting Jenks in the 7th or 9th especially considering how many people think Jenks sucks when he isn't in a closing situation.
The difference is putting him in when the game is in doubt. I wouldn't do that until he shows he can actually throw a goddamn curveball.

BadBobbyJenks
07-24-2010, 01:34 PM
The difference is putting him in when the game is in doubt. I wouldn't do that until he shows he can actually throw a goddamn curveball.

If that is what Ozzie does I can at least understand it, but if all he is doing is shuffling the 7th, 8th and 9th, I don't get it.

guillensdisciple
07-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Bobby has to stop trying to rest on what he did in 2005 and 2006. I guess thats true for a lot of members of this team, players coaches and front office.

Ozzie's qoutes on Carlos are disappointing. He still doen't get how terrible Mark Kotsay is. I would not trade Carlos for Dunn (although Dunn is way better than Carlos, just not for 2 months of Dunn). However, I would take about 250 players over Kotsay as a DH right now.

At their best, and not hampered by injuries Carlos is very close to being an equal or even better than Dunn.

Craig Grebeck
07-24-2010, 01:38 PM
At their best, and not hampered by injuries Carlos is very close to being an equal or even better than Dunn.
That's the problem.

guillensdisciple
07-24-2010, 01:44 PM
That's the problem.

Truth, but who knows, maybe he'll become a non injured beast like Jermaine Dye did when he came to the Sox soon. Wouldn't that be nice?

Domeshot17
07-24-2010, 01:48 PM

Pointless statement. At their best and not hampered by injuries, Kerry Wood and Mark Prior were 2 of the 10 best pitchers in baseball in the early 2000s, what did that get the cubs exactly?

I like Quentin just fine, I am not advocating trading him for Dunn (I would trade him for prince though). That said, Adam Dunn consistently gives you 35-40 homers and 90 RBI a year, consistently. Quentin has never done it in 2 straight years.

StillMissOzzie
07-24-2010, 01:53 PM

What he said!

SMO
:gulp:

shes
07-24-2010, 01:55 PM

If Bobby blows a lead in the bottom of the 7th, we can still rally and get it back. Not so in the bottom of the 9th or in extra innings. It's also extra demoralizing to lose a game on the last at-bat.

Corlose 15
07-24-2010, 01:57 PM
This is not some isolated occurrence. People aren't upset at Bobby because of the last two games. He's been less than stellar throughout the year.

I just looked up his game log. The only month were his ERA has been under 5.00 is June.

5.00 in April
7.88 in May
0.75 in June
9.95 in July

Stop bitching Bobby and get somebody out.

Pablo_Honey
07-24-2010, 02:14 PM
I just looked up his game log. The only month were his ERA has been under 5.00 is June.

5.00 in April
7.88 in May
0.75 in June
9.95 in July

Stop bitching Bobby and get somebody out.
This. Bobby and his defenders are making it sound like he's just in a bad funk when his numbers state otherwise.

hawkjt
07-24-2010, 11:20 PM
While I have no problem with using JJ as closer for a few weeks while Bobby works out his problems, I do not subscribe to this concept that he is unlikely to come back to his June form. That stretch in June was no mirage,it was 13 straight dominant save stuff. It is obvious to anyone paying attention that when he left for the leave of absence, he lost his sharpness,and has yet to get it back.

I am convinced he will be back in his role by the end of August and team will be much better for it.

Nellie_Fox
07-25-2010, 12:49 AM
Bobby sounds like an NBA starter who isn't hacking it. Making NBA money too. Shut up, strap it on, cinch it down, buckle it up, whatever.You forgot "bow your neck."

ilsox7
07-25-2010, 02:28 AM
**** you, Bob. Enjoy your last 3 months on the South Side, as you won't be getting $10MM per year from the Sox in 2011. Hopefully KW can find a taker for you in the next week and we'll get something of value in return. Doubtful though.

TomBradley72
07-25-2010, 11:51 AM
We'll see what happens...knowing Ozzie, he'll go with Jenks in the next save situation.

kufram
07-25-2010, 12:22 PM
I would think we have Bobby for the rest of this year anyway. I'm not even thinking about next year with him. We need him to step up.

He was on bereavement leave, yes? I don't know the circumstances, nor are they any of my business, but I assume something pretty serious was/is going on.

I think he'll be closing again and I think he needed to have something re-focus him.

Maybe 2 blown saves... as life threatening as they feel to us.. just aren't what they seem. Hopefully, his anger now will be exactly what he needs to get the tunnel vision back that a closer needs. Hope so.

pudge
07-25-2010, 01:53 PM
This. Bobby and his defenders are making it sound like he's just in a bad funk when his numbers state otherwise.

Anyone who's a Bobby defender at this point is blinded by their fandom.

kufram
07-25-2010, 02:02 PM

Understandable statement, but people were saying exactly that about the entire team only a few weeks ago.

hi im skot
07-25-2010, 05:52 PM

Silly.

ewokpelts
07-26-2010, 03:26 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100723&content_id=12549602&notebook_id=12554148&vkey=notebook_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cwsit's ok fatty. just keep blowing saves and you wont have to prove yourself anymore. you'll be out of a job

Mod Edit: Highlighted the part that got you a rip. Read the rules...

hi im skot
07-26-2010, 03:42 PM
it's ok I'm an idiot who can't read the rules. just keep blowing saves and you wont have to prove yourself anymore. you'll be out of a job

This post is pure poetry.

:rolleyes:

Mod note: don't quote posts that get people banned. I realize you quoted this before the banning took place, but read the rules at the top of the Clubhouse.

ShoelessJoeS
07-26-2010, 05:11 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100723&content_id=12549602&notebook_id=12554148&vkey=notebook_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cwsWow. Unfortunately, Bobby, this is professional sports. Quit bitching and just do your job.

The only man who will ever get a lifetime pass is Al Bundy. I mean, the guy once threw four touchdowns in a high school game!

Smokey Burg
07-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Aww, poor baby. Join the rest of the working world, where we have to prove ourselves everyday when we walk into the office, production floor, or job site. But don't worry, if you can't prove yourself as a ball player, you'll have to prove yourself on your next job, most likely driving a garbage truck, stocking shelves, or can you say "would you like an apple pie with your order?"

voodoochile
07-27-2010, 12:09 PM
Aww, poor baby. Join the rest of the working world, where we have to prove ourselves everyday when we walk into the office, production floor, or job site. But don't worry, if you can't prove yourself as a ball player, you'll have to prove yourself on your next job, most likely driving a garbage truck, stocking shelves, or can you say "would you like an apple pie with your order?"

Or I don't know... retiring on the $5M net he's made so far...:rolleyes:

asindc
07-27-2010, 03:55 PM
Wow. Unfortunately, Bobby, this is professional sports. Quit bitching and just do your job.

The only man who will ever get a lifetime pass is Al Bundy. I mean, the guy once threw four touchdowns in a high school game!

I believe the evidence only reflects that he scored four TDs in one game, not necessarily threw for four. Nonetheless, an appropriately-noted monumental achievement.:tongue:

asindc
07-27-2010, 03:58 PM
I think Bobby's more irritated by the fact he'll have a harder time getting a big fat raise this winter if he doesn't get the chance to save 35+ games this season.

Ding, ding, ding!!

Bobby should be irritated with himself, since if he was pitching like he did in 2005, he would not have to worry about getting a raise this coming winter. Throw curveballs for strikes, dammit!

Slappy
07-27-2010, 04:00 PM
And ditch that silly windup. It ain't workin.