PDA

View Full Version : 1955 White Sox schedule

LITTLE NELL
07-24-2010, 08:28 AM
I was looking up the box score on Baseball Reference for the 1st Sox game I attended which was July 15, 1955 and just happened to glance at the Sox schedule that year and from July 26 to Aug 14 the Sox went on a 19 game road trip ,they played in 6 cities (all except Cleveland). So I go to the 1955 Cub schedule and they were at home and played 22 games with every team except St Louis coming into Wrigley. I wonder what went on that year that the Sox had to take a 3 week, 6 city road trip. I can remember 2 week, 4 city road trips but nothing like that 3 week trip.
PS Sox were 10-8-1 on the trip.

LongLiveFisk
07-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Unless Comiskey Park was being used for a purpose other than baseball for some reason during that stretch, I can't imagine why that would happen. Was there something going on in Chicago during the Summer of '55 and Comiskey Park was being used for it?

SI1020
07-25-2010, 02:12 PM
I was looking up the box score on Baseball Reference for the 1st Sox game I attended which was July 15, 1955 and just happened to glance at the Sox schedule that year and from July 26 to Aug 14 the Sox went on a 19 game road trip ,they played in 6 cities (all except Cleveland). So I go to the 1955 Cub schedule and they were at home and played 22 games with every team except St Louis coming into Wrigley. I wonder what went on that year that the Sox had to take a 3 week, 6 city road trip. I can remember 2 week, 4 city road trips but nothing like that 3 week trip.
PS Sox were 10-8-1 on the trip. That must have been a great first game to go to. The Sox rally in the bottom of the 9th to beat the Senators.

LITTLE NELL
07-25-2010, 02:49 PM
That must have been a great first game to go to. The Sox rally in the bottom of the 9th to beat the Senators.

Went with an outing from the YMCA and sat in the first row in LF right behind Minnie.

LITTLE NELL
07-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Unless Comiskey Park was being used for a purpose other than baseball for some reason during that stretch, I can't imagine why that would happen. Was there something going on in Chicago during the Summer of '55 and Comiskey Park was being used for it?

I can't remember anything going on in the city and besides the Cubs were home for 3 weeks.
At first I thought they might have built the new press box during that time but that did not happen until the winter of 56 or 57 when there was a strange fire in the old one.

Noneck
07-25-2010, 03:20 PM
I am curious now also. Maybe Lip would know or he could ask Billy Pierce who would know.

LITTLE NELL
07-25-2010, 03:38 PM
I am curious now also. Maybe Lip would know or he could ask Billy Pierce who would know.

I was thinking the same thing but Lip hasn't been heard from lately.

roylestillman
07-25-2010, 04:16 PM
I searched the Tribune archives for that time period and while they do mention the unusual 20 game road trip, there is no mention as to why it was scheduled that way. On July 31st the annual East-West Negro League All Star game was played at Comiskey, so I don't think it had anything to do with work at the park. Probably just a fluke - wasn't most travel still being done by train back then? Maybe once you got out east it was more convenient to make the short train trips rather than back and forth from Chicago.