PDA

View Full Version : CSN Chicago Running Old Cubs Game

Viva Medias B's
07-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Currently, CSN Chicago is running and old Cubs game against the Philadelphia Phillies from (I think) 1987. Harry Caray and Steve Stone are calling the game. I guess they are broadcasting this in honor of Andre Dawson going in the Hall of Fame this weekend.

Brian26
07-23-2010, 08:16 PM
If they showed the Eric Show game, I'd record it.

Brian26
07-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Nice to see the Phillies had certifiable red-asses like Elia and Juan Samuel at the time.

Brian26
07-23-2010, 08:19 PM
And there's Tom Hume, the guy who taught Mark Prior how to pitch.

Coops4Aces
07-23-2010, 08:31 PM
If they showed the Eric Show game, I'd record it.

I wish there was a way to watch highlights like that and many other memorable moments. I'd love to watch him nail Dawson in the face.

Viva Medias B's
07-23-2010, 09:33 PM
I wish there was a way to watch highlights like that and many other memorable moments. I'd love to watch him nail Dawson in the face.

Show was a complete turd. Are you suggesting that just because Dawson was a star Cub player that he deserved to get beaned in the face?

tony1972
07-23-2010, 09:40 PM
Currently, CSN Chicago is running and old Cubs game against the Philadelphia Phillies from (I think) 1987. Harry Caray and Steve Stone are calling the game. I guess they are broadcasting this in honor of Andre Dawson going in the Hall of Fame this weekend.

Definitley 1987...Steve Stone has a mullet and two girls in the stands have banana clips in thier moussed hair.

I also spotted several Coca-Cola and Benetton shirts in the stands too.

Brian26
07-23-2010, 10:49 PM
Show was a complete turd. Are you suggesting that just because Dawson was a star Cub player that he deserved to get beaned in the face?

I didn't enjoy the beaning so much as watching Dawson chase Show into rightfield after he finally woke up. That was an outstanding moment.

Coops4Aces
07-24-2010, 12:47 AM

Never suggested that at all. He wasn't hurt in the end, so looking back at it, it was incredibly entertaining.

LoveYourSuit
07-24-2010, 12:51 AM
Never suggested that at all. He wasn't hurt in the end, so looking back at it, it was incredibly entertaining.

He ended up in the hospital :?:

salty99
07-24-2010, 12:56 AM
NO way that was Harry broadcasting. He had a stroke that year.

LongLiveFisk
07-24-2010, 01:01 AM
My preview channel showed it was from August 1, 1987.

Ah, the good ol' days. Good times. :cool:

LoveYourSuit
07-24-2010, 01:25 AM
Here's a Youtube link I found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZkNvjPpt-8

Even if you hate the Cubs, you sitll have to appreciate Dawson. You see this guy and then look at Sammy. What a shame.

(Kudos to the Red Baron also).

Rohan
07-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Here's a Youtube link I found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZkNvjPpt-8

Even if you hate the Cubs, you sitll have to appreciate Dawson. You see this guy and then look at Sammy. What a shame.

(Kudos to the Red Baron also).

Exactly. Andre Dawson is my favorite Cubs player of all time. Nothing but mad respect for him.

g0g0
07-24-2010, 01:54 PM
God I loved that team. I also miss hearing Harry call it.

PatK
07-24-2010, 03:16 PM
It was funny seeing some of those old names.

Also, odd to see no advertising plastered all over the stadium, and the lack of rooftop patios.

white sox bill
07-24-2010, 03:53 PM
Exactly. Andre Dawson is my favorite Cubs player of all time. Nothing but mad respect for him.
Ditto, I liked the guy. I'm happy he's being enshrined

Viva Medias B's
07-24-2010, 05:29 PM

It was Harry, he bounced back quickly from the stroke.

Coops4Aces
07-24-2010, 05:45 PM

I watched the game last night and that was definitely not Harry. Completely different voice.

Viva Medias B's
07-24-2010, 05:52 PM
I watched the game last night and that was definitely not Harry. Completely different voice.

He was there; during the game, Harry appeared on camera with Miss America.

TommyJohn
07-24-2010, 06:40 PM
I watched the game last night and that was definitely not Harry. Completely different voice.Huh?? I watched the end of it and that was definitely Harry Caray.

Juice16
07-24-2010, 06:49 PM

Agreed. I loved Dawson growing up and I very excited about him going to the hall.

Brian26
07-24-2010, 08:24 PM

He was there; during the game, Harry appeared on camera with Miss America.

Huh?? I watched the end of it and that was definitely Harry Caray.

Dewayne Staats did play-by-play during the middle three innings with Stone. Harry was there for the first three and last three innings.

Thome_Fan
07-24-2010, 09:30 PM
Is there a link to video of said fight?

WhiteSox5187
07-24-2010, 11:32 PM
Is the game on OnDemand by any chance?

Nellie_Fox
07-25-2010, 02:08 AM
Way too much Cubbie love here.

Brian26
07-25-2010, 12:18 PM

As much as I despise the current fanbase and the what the organization has turned into, I have much softer feelings for some of the 1980s northside teams.

Remember, this was before the first night game was played, so all home games were televised on Channel 9 during the day throughout the summer. In grade school and early high school it was routine to have the Cubs games on during the day before watching the Sox at night. I didn't necessarily root for the Cubs, but I absolutely followed them (it was hard not to, as there wasn't necessarily as many choices back then on tv, and you certainly weren't making a choice between the two Chicago teams since they almost always played at different times).

The other aspect was that the Cubs/Sox rivalry wasn't as intense then as it is now. There was no interleague play (this seemed inconceivable at the time), the anti-Sox media bias by the Tribune outlets hadn't quite surfaced yet, the Cubs fanbase seemed palatable at the time, Harry was fun to watch/listen to, and the Cubs in general were harmless viewing for, at the time, a kid who couldn't get enough baseball.

LongLiveFisk
07-25-2010, 01:43 PM

For the record, my comment about the "good ol' days" was just a reference to my life in general at the time (I was 16), and really had nothing to do with the Cubs per se.

But I can't speak for anyone else. :D:

FireMariotti
07-26-2010, 01:58 AM
Is there a link to video of said fight?

Loveyoursuit posted a link to it a couple posts up.

Here's another fun Dawson related video. It's got everything; bats tossed, ejections, a certain favorite umpire, garbage, the white sox, and a joey gladstone look alike! Enjoy! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAKkHxkkCyA&feature=related)

Brian26
07-26-2010, 08:37 PM

Here's another fun Dawson related video. It's got everything; bats tossed, ejections, a certain favorite umpire, garbage, the white sox, and a joey gladstone look alike! Enjoy! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAKkHxkkCyA&feature=related)

Silky "D" Dan Roan! Great video. Eric Gregg almost got decapitated by the Hawk's third round of bats.

Marqhead
07-26-2010, 08:40 PM
Silky "D" Dan Roan! Great video. Eric Gregg almost got decapitated by the Hawk's third round of bats.

That is one of the loudest shirts I've seen in quite some time.

Brian26
07-26-2010, 08:42 PM
By the way, glad to see the Tribune media engine was in full force in 1991. That sportscast was 5:15 long, and he didn't get to the Sox until 4:19 into the clip. The Sox highlights ended at 4:40.

FireMariotti
07-26-2010, 11:10 PM
By the way, glad to see the Tribune media engine was in full force in 1991. That sportscast was 5:15 long, and he didn't get to the Sox until 4:19 into the clip. The Sox highlights ended at 4:40.

This was the first year for the new stadium. Seemed like an electric atmosphere at New Comiskey. I wish I was old enough to appreciate the excitement around that team in the very early 90's.

SOXPHILE
07-27-2010, 01:00 PM

No kidding. I mean, I know the whole Dawson spectacle was a big deal, but 21 seconds of Sox ? Checking the baseball almanac, that 3-2 win over Toronto got them to 50-42, while that Cubs win over the Reds shot them up to 45-48, only games under .500.

Glad to see some things never change, and the inhabitants of the bleachers at the Urinal threw all kinds of **** out onto the field back in 1991 too.

Viva Medias B's
07-27-2010, 01:06 PM

That's a shock that he would be in the middle of it. And Lou was managing the Reds then.

areilly
07-27-2010, 01:45 PM
Dewayne Staats did play-by-play during the middle three innings with Stone. Harry was there for the first three and last three innings.

Was this when Harry would still do double-duty by moving to the radio during the middle innings?

Medford Bobby
07-28-2010, 06:19 PM
My preview channel showed it was from August 1, 1987.

Ah, the good ol' days. Good times. :cool:

Me too, pure salad days for a single guy in his late 20's:wink: