PDA

View Full Version : Will Chris Sale be this year's Bobby Jenks?

JermaineDye05
07-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Now, let me be clear. . .

I don't mean will Sale become this year's Bobby Jenks as in the 2010 Bobby Jenks that's bad. That would be most disappointing.

I mean could Chris Sale become the 2010 version of that 2005 fire-baller that was called up to take over the closer duties after Dustin Hermanson, who had been having an insane year, was sidelined with back problems.

Now, I highly doubt Chris will just become our closer, that's just too ridiculous. However, from what I've read, the Sox would like to get him some time in the bullpen this year (possibly a September call-up but I've heard people say August). I'm just curious how he would be used in our bullpen.

Will he face only lefties? or will he be a long man (I doubt this given the workload he's been given in the minors so far)? Another set-up man to go along with Putz and Thornton?

Now, Bobby did have way more experience when he had been called up so this is quite a bit different. Also, considering Sale was the top pick, I don't know if the Sox want to throw him right in the fire immediately.

thomas35forever
07-23-2010, 04:51 PM
I think it's unfair to compare Sale to the '05 Jenks since Jenks was already in the minors at the start of the season. However, I can see that you're trying to compare someone who was nowhere close to the big leagues at the start and is now on the verge of doing so.

Boondock Saint
07-23-2010, 04:52 PM
No. The two aren't even comparable, in my opinion.

Pablo_Honey
07-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Eh, I don't know about that. The Sox aren't putting Sale through the minors on a fast track so that he can contribute majorly to the team. It is well-known that the reasons are:

1) Reinsdorf saving his precious money on Sale's signing bonus
2) Preserving Sale's arm after logging many innings in college
3) Sale and his agent being smart by starting his arb clock early

Given these reasons, I really doubt the Sox will give Sale an important job in the pen down the road. He'll probably be used as a LOOGY or a mop-up in non-pressure situations.

TheCQExperience
07-23-2010, 05:16 PM
With Threets throwing the ball well I'm doubting we'll see Sales up until September.

There's no one who the Sox can really send down from the pen to bring Sales up.

sox1970
07-23-2010, 05:23 PM
With Threets throwing the ball well I'm doubting we'll see Sales up until September.

His name is Sale. Not like Soupy Sales.

Pablo_Honey
07-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Not even Scott Linebrink? Or Tony Pena?

TheCQExperience
07-23-2010, 05:50 PM
Not even Scott Linebrink? Or Tony Pena?

Pena has been good as of late, and while I think everyone would love to see Linebrink gone we are unfortunately stuck with his crummy arm and obnoxious salary.

doublem23
07-23-2010, 06:03 PM
If there's going to be a "Bobby Jenks" of 2010, it's Sergio.

Pablo_Honey
07-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Pena has been good as of late, and while I think everyone would love to see Linebrink gone we are unfortunately stuck with his crummy arm and obnoxious salary.
I actually think it's the other way round. He was good in April and May aside from two really rough outings that inflated his ERA. Then he was inconsistent in June and he's looking a bit shaky in July as well aside from the two great multi-inning effort. And Linebrink is...well, he sure makes us cross the Line sometimes with our language and makes us count down to the Brink of his ERA.

Hitmen77
07-23-2010, 07:20 PM
I actually think it's the other way round. He was good in April and May aside from two really rough outings that inflated his ERA. Then he was inconsistent in June and he's looking a bit shaky in July as well aside from the two great multi-inning effort. And Linebrink is...well, he sure makes us cross the Line sometimes with our language and makes us count down to the Brink of his ERA.

Pena has been useful for us in long relief. He bailed us out in the game that Peavy went down. He also came in and did a good job in Hudson's first outing. There may have been another recent game that Pena had a good stint in long relief too (I want to say there was a 3rd such game, but I don't remember).

Unless someone else in the pen can effectively go out and pitch 3 innings if needed, I can't imagine of getting rid of Pena at this point.

Brian26
07-23-2010, 07:43 PM
If there's going to be a "Bobby Jenks" of 2010, it's Sergio.

Or Threets.

Sergio's made his way around the league once now. Bobby was an unknown commodity in '05 for the last six weeks.

DonnieDarko
07-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Jenks was also great in '06, with his highest amount of blown saves, if I'm not mistaken? If not his highest, it's certainly up there. Whatever the case may be, he has shown that he can be really, really good...like it's been said, he just needs to regain his form. To give up on him now would not be wise.

Pablo_Honey
07-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Unless someone else in the pen can effectively go out and pitch 3 innings if needed, I can't imagine of getting rid of Pena at this point.
True, Pena's shown himself to be more reliable in multi-inning effort for some reason. I would rather have cut Williams and brought Torres with us to start the season but Threets has been decent so far so we will see. It's starting to look like Pena is the new DJ Carrasco - great in providing long inning relief but unreliable in tight games.

Noneck
07-23-2010, 08:36 PM
I dont believe Sale is currently on the 40 man roster.

Hitmen77
07-23-2010, 08:44 PM
I dont believe Sale is currently on the 40 man roster.

He could be added if the Sox wanted to bring him up. If I'm counting correctly (and if this site is up to date), there are only 39 men on the 40-man roster at this time.
http://mlb.mlb.com/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=cws

Plus the Sox could move Peavy to the 60-day DL to free up a spot on the 40-man if necessary.

ghostface36
07-26-2010, 10:06 PM
sergio will be kinda similar, but i dont think we'll see a jenks '05 situation too many more times in the whole mlb

soxfanreggie
07-26-2010, 10:37 PM
No he won't, although Chris can feel free to prove me wrong!

VMSNS
07-26-2010, 10:57 PM
Scott Merkin was on the Score just last week, and said it was very possible that Sale could be called up at some point this year, despite a very short stint in the minors. He gave the example of Mark Buehrle in 2000 as a Sox pitcher who spent little time in the minors, but was called up to make a difference on a playoff contending team.

I'm not sure if Sale will be 2005's "Bobby Jenks", but I think it's quite possible that he could be called up and help out the team this season.

TDog
07-26-2010, 11:09 PM
Scott Merkin was on the Score just last week, and said it was very possible that Sale could be called up at some point this year, despite a very short stint in the minors. He gave the example of Mark Buehrle in 2000 as a Sox pitcher who spent little time in the minors, but was called up to make a difference on a playoff contending team.

I'm not sure if Sale will be 2005's "Bobby Jenks", but I think it's quite possible that he could be called up and help out the team this season.

And if the White Sox want to bring him up because he could make a difference in the bullpen, they would bring him before the rosters expand so that he can be postseason eligible if indeed he does made a difference. I'm not sure how that would be done, and I'm not sure if the interest in bringing him up is actually there.

TheOldRoman
07-27-2010, 08:46 AM
[blowhard] If he's going to be the next Jenks he better start eating! [/dumbass]

Domeshot17
07-27-2010, 09:20 AM
I would bet he gets called up in August so he can be added to the playoff roster if need be. Bringing him up in September does not allow it

TheOldRoman
07-27-2010, 12:02 PM
I would bet he gets called up in August so he can be added to the playoff roster if need be. Bringing him up in September does not allow itYes. If he isn't added to the roster sometime before then they will DL Linebrink on August 31 and bring him up to get him eligible.

JermaineDye05
08-21-2010, 09:16 PM
Given Chris' recent success and the rest of the bullpen's failure, could we see him thrown into the closer's role for the remainder of the season or at least until Bobby is healthy again?