PDA

View Full Version : Who else is excited to see our new closer's entrance music?

HomeFish
07-23-2010, 04:19 PM
While we're currently in closer-by-committee, odds are that in a few weeks, either Putz or Thornton will be anointed closer. Which means they'll have to enter the game to a music/video display suitable for an MLB closer.

When Putz was closer in Seattle, he was notorious for having one of the most ridiculous video board intros in all of baseball.

Coops4Aces
07-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Seriously?

sullythered
07-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm concerned with when a crucial role on the team is up in the air...
I hope it's totally badass, though.

Nellie_Fox
07-24-2010, 12:14 AM
I don't even pay attention to the "entrance music."

BadBobbyJenks
07-24-2010, 12:35 AM
Bring back the GONG!

voodoochile
07-24-2010, 12:48 AM
How do you "see" entrance music? :scratch:

DonnieDarko
07-24-2010, 12:50 AM

When you trip out on some acid...

...man. :cool:

doublem23
07-24-2010, 12:51 AM

Ask these guys

:partybus

voodoochile
07-24-2010, 12:54 AM
Ask these guys

:partybus

Man those are some dated references. Maybe we need to get a new one with LiLo and Beasley...:tongue:

TDog
07-24-2010, 01:43 AM
Thornton would have trouble closing back-to-back games on any sort of regular basis. He isn't going to be a primary closer. Even coming in before the ninth and excluding the All-Star Game, he already has a couple of blown saves.

There is nothing wrong with having three pitchers who share the closing duties, which is what the closer role on the White Sox will be if Jenks isn't the regular closer.

Over By There
07-24-2010, 08:04 AM
Bring back the GONG!

The gong and the video montage were awesome while they lasted.

doublem23
07-24-2010, 08:38 AM
Thornton would have trouble closing back-to-back games on any sort of regular basis. He isn't going to be a primary closer. Even coming in before the ninth and excluding the All-Star Game, he already has a couple of blown saves.

There is nothing wrong with having three pitchers who share the closing duties, which is what the closer role on the White Sox will be if Jenks isn't the regular closer.

PLEASE tell me what you're basing this nugget of "insight" on. Since joining the Sox in 2006, per 162 games, he's averaged 69 appearances and 63 innings. In that same span, Jenks has averaged (over 162 games)... 69 appearances and 69 innings.

kufram
07-24-2010, 10:08 AM
I envy all of you people who are able to go to White Sox games regularly. Difficult for me because I'm 6 time zones earlier than you. BUT an advantage is that I don't have to listen to entrance music...

Afternoon games this week-end mean I get to watch them live and I don't have to check scores on my phone in the wee hours.

I don't like the designated closer too much... except when the guy is the real deal and their are few of those over a period of time long enough to get the title. We've got 4 guys, and I include Bobby Jenks, that can come in for a late inning and shut teams down. The order in which you use them shouldn't make all that much difference in my opinion. The point is to win the game. Save statistics are rarely important to me. Scoreless innings are what makes these guys important. I hope Bobby gets back on track. We need him. I think he will.

TDog
07-24-2010, 11:09 AM
PLEASE tell me what you're basing this nugget of "insight" on. Since joining the Sox in 2006, per 162 games, he's averaged 69 appearances and 63 innings. In that same span, Jenks has averaged (over 162 games)... 69 appearances and 69 innings.

Look at the way Thornton is used. His bad outings have more often followed games where he was used on the previous day. Look at the comments Guillen has made about trying to provide Thornton with sufficient time off.

This nugget isn't something I made up. It comes from comments by the White Sox pitching staff.

Thornton isn't going to be a fulltime closer for the White Sox unless the White Sox provide only sporadic save opportunities from here on out.

downstairs
07-24-2010, 02:36 PM
I envy all of you people who are able to go to White Sox games regularly. Difficult for me because I'm 6 time zones earlier than you. BUT an advantage is that I don't have to listen to entrance music...

Afternoon games this week-end mean I get to watch them live and I don't have to check scores on my phone in the wee hours.

I don't like the designated closer too much... except when the guy is the real deal and their are few of those over a period of time long enough to get the title. We've got 4 guys, and I include Bobby Jenks, that can come in for a late inning and shut teams down. The order in which you use them shouldn't make all that much difference in my opinion. The point is to win the game. Save statistics are rarely important to me. Scoreless innings are what makes these guys important. I hope Bobby gets back on track. We need him. I think he will.

Damn. I have a hard enough time following the Sox from 900 miles away- but in the same time zone. Can't imagine trying to keep up with them 6 time zones away (I assume you're in Europe somewhere?)

SephClone89
07-24-2010, 02:41 PM
Damn. I have a hard enough time following the Sox from 900 miles away- but in the same time zone. Can't imagine trying to keep up with them 6 time zones away (I assume you're in Europe somewhere?)

Being six hours ahead must be awful. I follow my favourite English soccer team, but I'm six hours behind them. In other words, I never have to get up earlier than 6:45 or watch any later than 4ish.

I'm going to be in England this fall, and I leave right during the last week of the season. If we make the playoffs I'll be getting mlb.tv to watch the games. It'll be bizarre to be in the time zone for Spurs but six hours ahead for the Sox...a lot of staying up till about 3 or 4 in the morning, but I figure for the playoffs it'll be worth it.

white sox bill
07-24-2010, 02:51 PM
Yes upgrading our closers entrance music is the missing link that will boost us to the next level!!

Nellie_Fox
07-25-2010, 12:44 AM
Being six hours ahead must be awful. I follow my favourite English soccer team, but I'm six hours behind them.I'm genuinely curious; are you originally British or Canadian, or has your love of soccer driven you to put the extraneous "u" in favorite? I notice you do it regularly.

kufram
07-25-2010, 04:18 AM
Being six hours ahead must be awful. I follow my favourite English soccer team, but I'm six hours behind them. In other words, I never have to get up earlier than 6:45 or watch any later than 4ish.

I'm going to be in England this fall, and I leave right during the last week of the season. If we make the playoffs I'll be getting mlb.tv to watch the games. It'll be bizarre to be in the time zone for Spurs but six hours ahead for the Sox...a lot of staying up till about 3 or 4 in the morning, but I figure for the playoffs it'll be worth it.

I watched all of the post season in 05 starting at 2:00-3:00 am. It was hard, but worth every tired moment. mlb.tv is great for me.

I live in the South of England and have done for over 25 years, transplanted from NE Indiana. At least I'm not 2-3 days behind like in the 80s and could only follow the White Sox by the International Herald Tribune. Frank Thomas was lines of serious stats to me... only saw a very few games he played in and that was '05.

I followed soccer (football) back then because I lived in Wimbledon and the local team went from the lower divisions to the top division in just a few years (mainly by kicking the opponents more than the ball). They even beat Liverpool in the Cup final.

But as soon as the internet came along and allowed me to first listen and then watch White Sox games and ice hockey my interest in soccer waned sharply. Also the players diving all of the time, even when they knew instant replay would mean everyone knew they were diving put me off.

I was surprised when I saw that the NBA was mostly players walking up and down the court and lost a lot of interest in the regular season, but the NCAA tournament was well covered and that's great.

I digress and may get modded for talking about other sports so I'll leave it at that. Wasn't happy yesterday that the first game I got to see live in a while was not interesting after the second!

p.s. I do many things Anglo these days just by force of habit from living here so long. Hot tea with milk in the morning, spelling done in "proper English" as my friends would say, difficulty saying the word "garage" so I avoid it. Perhaps my view on health care would be best left out here.

kufram
07-25-2010, 04:28 AM
I'm genuinely curious; are you originally British or Canadian, or has your love of soccer driven you to put the extraneous "u" in favorite? I notice you do it regularly.

Sorry, I didnt see your post until I'd answered another. Please refer to my response to SephClone

Sam Spade
07-25-2010, 06:04 AM
I'm excited and anticipating seeing bobby get put back in the closer's role after returning to the level of performance he had in june before missing a week or so.

Why do I want that? Because I don't expect to see bobby excel in a set up role, like those that may replace him, and the team is better when he is on.

Procol Harum
07-25-2010, 08:59 AM
I live in the South of England and have done for over 25 years, transplanted from NE Indiana.

p.s. I do many things Anglo these days just by force of habit from living here so long. Hot tea with milk in the morning, spelling done in "proper English" as my friends would say, difficulty saying the word "garage" so I avoid it. Perhaps my view on health care would be best left out here.

All that and you're a bloody Southron, too.... :wink:

kufram
07-25-2010, 09:52 AM
All that and you're a bloody Southron, too.... :wink:

Nah. I'm still a Yankee..... not the baseball team.

Nellie_Fox
07-26-2010, 12:08 AM
Sorry, I didnt see your post until I'd answered another. Please refer to my response to SephCloneThe question was directed to SephClone.

kufram
07-26-2010, 04:11 AM
The question was directed to SephClone.

Of course it was. I beg your pardon. Why did I not see that? Senility.