PDA

View Full Version : Would the Royals trade Grienke?

Rockabilly
07-23-2010, 03:34 PM
http://twitter.com/TKras/status/19361923962

The Rays will have amazing rotation if they were to get Zack

JermaineDye05
07-23-2010, 03:35 PM
I think they'd have to lose a ton. I doubt the Royals do it though, he and Billy Butler are the only guys that bring people into the stadium. If they go, that stadium could very well be empty.

Rockabilly
07-23-2010, 03:38 PM
The Rays have a lot of great young talent. If the Royals could get 3 solid prospects they just might do it.

Wade Davis and maybe Jennings.

Standing Ovation
07-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Sox should go after Alex Gordon. Lefty bat (I think) and just tearing it up in AAA. Could play 3B in emergency situations too. He just got called up to replace DeJesus.

tm1119
07-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Jeremy Hellickson, Desmond Jennings, and Wade Davis would be almost impossible to turn down, for any player. I doubt the Rays would do that though, and I doubt the truth to this rumor even more.

doublem23
07-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Sox should go after Alex Gordon. Lefty bat (I think) and just tearing it up in AAA. Could play 3B in emergency situations too. He just got called up to replace DeJesus.

I'd be surprised if the Royals sold low on Gordon.

Pablo_Honey
07-23-2010, 03:59 PM
It doesn't make sense for the Rays to pursue another pitcher given their already strong rotation. I'd assume they wanna go after a legit bat.

I'd be surprised if the Royals sold low on Gordon.
Yup. Also, with Callaspo gone, Gordon will probably take over at third for them in the nearby future, unless they think Betemit can be their starting third baseman :redneck

Standing Ovation
07-23-2010, 04:11 PM
It doesn't make sense for the Rays to pursue another pitcher given their already strong rotation. I'd assume they wanna go after a legit bat.

Yup. Also, with Callaspo gone, Gordon will probably take over at third for them in the nearby future, unless they think Betemit can be their starting third baseman :redneck

Maybe...but it seemed they had all but given up on him a few months ago. Would fit into the former 1st rounder mold that KW seems to like.

Rockabilly
07-23-2010, 04:42 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/no_untouchable_royals_not_even_greinke_ou2Pr91GY5V hDikez6feVK

GAsoxfan
07-23-2010, 05:09 PM
I thought the Royals should have shopped him this past off-season. As great as Grienke is, he only impacts roughly 30 games a season. If you could get three or four legit prospects who could impact a combined 350 - 400 games, I think you'd hae to consider it.

Pablo_Honey
07-23-2010, 05:22 PM
I thought the Royals should have shopped him this past off-season. As great as Grienke is, he only impacts roughly 30 games a season. If you could get three or four legit prospects who could impact a combined 350 - 400 games, I think you'd hae to consider it.
Greinke's value was certainly at the highest in the offseason but any GM with half a brain would have been smart enough to not overpay in acquiring him. Remember that last season was Greinke's only ace-calibre season so far. He's a fine #2 or even a #3 on a conteder in his usual form. Selling high doesn't always work because no one likes to buy high.

Besides, trading Greinke would cost the Royals what small fans they have, all 3 of them. For a franchise that's having a hard time selling tickets, that's not healthy. He's still making little money so I don't think the Royals will sell him now. Most likely he will be gone before the start of next season because next season is when the expensive part of his backloaded contract kicks in.

CHISOXFAN13
07-23-2010, 05:24 PM

Garza and Shields have been horrendous since May. It makes all the sense in the world.

getonbckthr
07-23-2010, 05:32 PM
Man would Beckham, Hudson and Flowers get it done?

Pablo_Honey
07-23-2010, 05:39 PM
Garza and Shields have been horrendous since May. It makes all the sense in the world.
Garza had 3 rough outings since May and Shields had 2 rough ones. Otherwise, they've been a'ight, not good or great but a'ight. I'd hardly call them horrendous. Horrendous is a word that describes the likeness of Randy Williams.

Yeah I know they haven't been shutting them down like they were in the beginning of the season but given their history of dominance in the past, I seriously consider this to be a fluke slump for both guys. On the other side of the baseball, the Rays only have 4 guys whose OBP is higher than .350. The rest are stinking up the joint badly including a certain outfielder named BJ Upton. They need a bat and they have the ammunition to acquire one.

Pablo_Honey
07-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Man would Beckham, Hudson and Flowers get it done?
Probably not, but it is a possibility because the Royals are such a joke organization. Beckham and Flowers are in the "Selling Low" category and Hudson, as the Fielder rumour pointed out, is viewed as a #3 at best. That's hardly a plausible package for a pitcher of Greinke's calibre. Most importantly, we NEED ALL three guys in the nearby future. Garcia and AJ will probably walk or be let go after this season, which paves way for Hudson and Flowers to take over fulltime and Beckham being gone leaves a gaping hole at second unless you want to crown Lillibridge as the second baseman of the future for his mini hot streak.

getonbckthr
07-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Garza had 3 rough outings since May and Shields had 2 rough ones. Otherwise, they've been a'ight, not good or great but a'ight. I'd hardly call them horrendous. Horrendous is a word that describes the likeness of Randy Williams.

Yeah I know they haven't been shutting them down like they were in the beginning of the season but given their history of dominance in the past, I seriously consider this to be a fluke slump for both guys. On the other side of the baseball, the Rays only have 4 guys whose OBP is higher than .350. The rest are stinking up the joint badly including a certain outfielder named BJ Upton. They need a bat and they have the ammunition to acquire one.
I never do this correction stuff but you took the time to insert a " ' " how hard would have it been to use " al "? Or even shorter "ok "?

getonbckthr
07-23-2010, 05:44 PM
Probably not, but it is a possibility because the Royals are such a joke organization. Beckham and Flowers are in the "Selling Low" category and Hudson, as the Fielder rumour pointed out, is viewed as a #3 at best. That's hardly a plausible package for a pitcher of Greinke's calibre. Most importantly, we NEED ALL three guys in the nearby future. Garcia and AJ will probably walk or be let go after this season, which paves way for Hudson and Flowers to take over fulltime and Beckham being gone leaves a gaping hole at second unless you want to crown Lillibridge as the second baseman of the future for his mini hot streak.
I don't think we are selling low on Beckham what so ever. As far as needing Hudson because of Freddy's age your 5 would be: Grienke, Danks, Buerhle, Floyd and Peavy.

Pablo_Honey
07-23-2010, 06:22 PM
I never do this correction stuff but you took the time to insert a " ' " how hard would have it been to use " al "? Or even shorter "ok "?
Sorry, it's just my habit of saying "a'ight" to describe something iffy at best and "all right" to describe something slightly above average. A'ight has this negative tone to it whereas in all right is somewhat positive, IMHO.

I don't think we are selling low on Beckham what so ever. As far as needing Hudson because of Freddy's age your 5 would be: Grienke, Danks, Buerhle, Floyd and Peavy.
Wow, that just flew right over my head. I totally forgot we were trading for Greinke. My bad :redface:

Still, I wanna see us keep Hudson due to Greinke's questionable mental state and Hudson's affordability. I'd argue with you on Beckham's value but last time I argued about it with the others in a thread, I ended up having to blow off some steam with a profanity-ridden tirade :tongue: So I'll just leave it at that.

GAsoxfan
07-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Greinke's value was certainly at the highest in the offseason but any GM with half a brain would have been smart enough to not overpay in acquiring him. Remember that last season was Greinke's only ace-calibre season so far. He's a fine #2 or even a #3 on a conteder in his usual form. Selling high doesn't always work because no one likes to buy high.

Besides, trading Greinke would cost the Royals what small fans they have, all 3 of them. For a franchise that's having a hard time selling tickets, that's not healthy. He's still making little money so I don't think the Royals will sell him now. Most likely he will be gone before the start of next season because next season is when the expensive part of his backloaded contract kicks in.

I think that's exactly why they would get a lot for him. Ace pitchers only become available when they're too expensive for a small-market team, or they're about to hit free agency. To get a young guy under team control for several years is worth a lot.

cws05champ
07-24-2010, 10:36 PM
You all forget that he is just a few years removed from time off from an anxiety disorder. He is still not very comfortable talking to the media or spotlight. If he were to go to a major market with pressure, you never know what pitcher you will get.

JermaineDye05
07-26-2010, 09:39 PM
He pitched badly against the Twins, but I'd still take him in a heartbeat. I'd love for Kenny to come out of nowhere and get him at the deadline. I'd give up Beckham for Zack, pending on how many years Greinke has left.

JermaineDye05
07-26-2010, 10:40 PM
In all seriousness. . .

Does a package of say Gordon, Hudson, and whatever prospects the Sox have left even entice the Royals to think about trading away Greinke to a division rival?

kittle42
07-26-2010, 10:49 PM
In all seriousness. . .

Does a package of say Gordon, Hudson, and whatever prospects the Sox have left even entice the Royals to think about trading away Greinke to a division rival?

Are the Royals really a rival to anyone?

JB98
07-26-2010, 10:59 PM
I wouldn't take him. Not convinced he's healthy. He was scratched from a start against the White Sox right before the ASB. Now, he gets shelled by the Twins. I'd stay away.