PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Who will the Sox acquire?

JermaineDye05
07-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Who do you think?

Rockabilly
07-23-2010, 04:26 PM
I think it will be Adam Dunn.

twinsuck
07-23-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm hoping Prince Fielder. That would be awesome, I'm already a huge fan of his so I would love to see him in a Sox uniform. but then again I used to be a fan of Mark Teahen when he was on the Royals. :redface:

kittle42
07-23-2010, 04:29 PM
Small move(s). That's what we do best!

If the answer is anything other than that (except nothing), I'll be surprised/happy.

doublem23
07-23-2010, 04:53 PM
I think KW would like to make a splash, but we just don't have the pieces to make any big deals, especially with Peavy out for the year.

DirtySox
07-23-2010, 04:56 PM
I think KW would like to make a splash, but we just don't have the pieces to make any big deals, especially with Peavy out for the year.

Indeed. I also don't think this team gets better in the present or future if Hudson has to be traded. I think a Luke Scott/Adam LaRoche type pickup is in the cards, unless Dunn can be had for players not named Hudson/Beckham/Quentin.

JermaineDye05
07-23-2010, 04:57 PM

I feel the same way. I also think that KW and Ozzie both feel that this team is good enough to win the world series as is. If they get in the playoffs, I think the pitching should be able to hold its own and the defense has been great. That's how we did it in 05.

I do expect some fairly big changes in the offseason though. I have a feeling that KW will a huge offseason and acquire a pretty big name come December. Let's hope it's in order to improve this team for a title defense.

PaleHoser
07-23-2010, 05:00 PM
I'm don't see anything but a minor move because price will be too high.

I'd love to see the Dodgers lose out the rest of July. They're currently fourth in their division, but only two out of wild card (the N.L. is such a joke). The McCourts divorce may have them willing to shed some salary.

If they get cold quick, Manny Ramirez playing on a two month rental for his next contract would be nice.

EDIT: Just noticed he's on 15-day DL for "right calf tightness" effective July 21st, but not expected back until late August. Maybe not such a good idea.

Corlose 15
07-23-2010, 05:06 PM
I think it'll end up being a Luke Scott/Adam Laroche type or nothing.

It'd be nice to get Haren. I'd be more comfortable going against Texas, NYY with another big time ace type starter that Peavy is supposed to be. Maybe by the end of the year Danks will be that starter though.

Domeshot17
07-23-2010, 05:22 PM
I'll be happy with Laroche. Hopefully having such a terrible farm system and nothing to play with will inspire Kenny to not have such crappy drafts :tongue:.

thomas35forever
07-23-2010, 05:22 PM
What are Carl and Robbie doing these days?

JermaineDye05
07-23-2010, 05:24 PM
What are Carl and Robbie doing these days?

Crazy Carl is apparently playing with the Newark Bears according to his wiki page.

Roberto retired.

eriqjaffe
07-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Let's see...who's out there that Kenny has had a fixation with in the past...and appears to be on a downslide...and would add to an already crowded situation?

Therefore, my guess is Chone Figgins!

harwar
07-23-2010, 05:35 PM
they all want Beckham,Hudson or even Danks or Floyd .. the nerve .. yea, i think it will be some small upgrade

thomas35forever
07-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Crazy Carl is apparently playing with the Newark Bears according to his wiki page.

Roberto retired.
Give Carl a call. Maybe he wasn't the best or most stable player we ever had, but dammit, he helped us win a ring.

JB98
07-23-2010, 05:44 PM
they all want Beckham,Hudson or even Danks or Floyd .. the nerve .. yea, i think it will be some small upgrade

The only one of those four I'd consider dealing is Hudson, so, yeah, the other GMs can go to hell.

I can see KW making a small move or two, but no big splash.

Slappy
07-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Bring on Luke Scott for Kotsay and a little cash. :redneck

khan
07-23-2010, 06:08 PM
I don't think KW has the ammo to get Dunn or Fielder; As somebody else has already said, maybe that will inspire KW/JR to draft more/invest more in drafting and scouting.

I don't think Scott will be moved, simply because he's not that expensive for Baltimore.

I don't want a pitcher like Haren, since he can only contribute every 5th game. Nor does Nolasco do much for this team, IMO.

Berkman's expensive enough to supply motivation to Houston to trade him away, but then we haven't heard much about the SOX being interested. Ditto for LaRoach, though I'd be pleased with either, provided that they don't cost too much in trade.

I'll go with KW re-signing JD.

russ99
07-23-2010, 06:09 PM
I'm going for Haren. Can't have too much good starting pitching.

Worry about next year when it's next year.

I also think the price on Dunn will fall by the 31st, when it's obvious that he's not going back to DC.

LaRoche's option is vested when he's traded, so I think it's less likely he comes here.

Corlose 15
07-23-2010, 06:18 PM
What the Sox really need to do is bitchslap the Indians into giving up Choo for pennies on the dollar a la a Cubs/Pirates trade.

Crestani
07-23-2010, 06:18 PM
There is no way that Danks, Floyd, or Beckham get dealt...NO WAY! Therefore, they only chip he has to deal with is Hudson.
So, unless he can pry away something special for Hudson, nothing is happening.

Pablo_Honey
07-23-2010, 06:29 PM
What the Sox really need to do is bitchslap the Indians into giving up Choo for pennies on the dollar a la a Cubs/Pirates trade.
Choo is a Boras client. I don't think KW/JR would like dealing with him. Well, they did somehow manage to endure it with Crede so maybe it might work but Boras will certainly demand huge contracts considering Choo's level of talent.

sox1970
07-23-2010, 06:33 PM
I'm sticking with Dunn. July 30th or 31st.

Corlose 15
07-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Choo is a Boras client. I don't think KW/JR would like dealing with him. Well, they did somehow manage to endure it with Crede so maybe it might work but Boras will certainly demand huge contracts considering Choo's level of talent.

He'd fit perfectly on this team. LH bat, decent power, high average and OBP, can play the outfield to spell Quentin.

I think there's no way in hell the Indians would ever trade him, much less trade him in the division, but I can dream.:smile:

Corlose 15
07-23-2010, 06:43 PM
The only one of those four I'd consider dealing is Hudson, so, yeah, the other GMs can go to hell.

I can see KW making a small move or two, but no big splash.

The only way I deal Hudson is if there is a major league starter coming back in the deal. There is nobody behind him to step into the rotation if he's gone.

doublem23
07-23-2010, 07:13 PM

No way do we land Choo, but he's still got 3 arb years left, he'd be under our control until 2013. We don't have to worry about extending him for years.

The only reason I could see this going down is because, IIRC, there's still some question if he's going to have to return to Korea to serve his mandatory military service before 2012.

But yeah, there's no way he's coming here. Suxxxxx

Hitmen77
07-23-2010, 09:01 PM
The Sox don't have the minor league talent to get Dunn or Fielder. Maybe the best we can hope for is Adam LaRoche from Arizona.

Realistically, I expect just a minor trade only. Our only change at DH is when Teahen returns and he gets some at bats instead of Kotsay.....maybe.

A. Cavatica
07-23-2010, 09:04 PM
They get Mike Lowell and cash for Teahen.

Pablo_Honey
07-23-2010, 09:21 PM
I think there's no way in hell the Indians would ever trade him, much less trade him in the division, but I can dream.:smile:
Oh absolutely...Choo's gotta be one of my favourite players in the game now. Then again I'm biased because I was born in Korea.:D:

No way do we land Choo, but he's still got 3 arb years left, he'd be under our control until 2013. We don't have to worry about extending him for years.
Well, I'm sure it will take a massive haul to acquire him so it would suck to have him only here for 3 years. Also, the Sox don't like going to arb so they will try to settle on a contract before the hearing, which might be frustrating for Kenny.

The only reason I could see this going down is because, IIRC, there's still some question if he's going to have to return to Korea to serve his mandatory military service before 2012.
Yeah, IIRC, if he made the Olympics team, he would have been removed from that duty but he couldn't make it because he was playing with the Indians at the time.

Zisk77
07-23-2010, 09:22 PM

Well Choo is similar to Mickey Mantle after all...

MetroPD
07-23-2010, 09:28 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/pammyb20/compu2_7383376.jpg