PDA

View Full Version : One Year Ago Today: Buehrle's perfect game

Rockabilly
07-23-2010, 10:26 AM
It was so ****ing awesome to be at Buehrle perfect game. I almost didn't make it..

Hopefully Buehrle gives us a win tonight!!!

This was my 4th best game that I ever went to..

roylestillman
07-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Proud to say I was there and kept score. For fun, go to You Tube and type in Buehrle Perfect Game to see all of the amatuer video shot that day. It'll bring a tear to the eye.

Hitmen77
07-23-2010, 10:49 AM
That game actually put the Sox in a tie for first with the Tigers. Needless to say, that part of the game was soon a distant memory and the Sox quickly fell well out of the race.

But 7/23/09 will live on as one of the great moments in White Sox history.

dwitt76
07-23-2010, 11:01 AM
This was my 4th best game that I ever went to..

What are the other 3?

Rockabilly
07-23-2010, 11:12 AM
What are the other 3?

World Series Game 1 & 2

My first Sox game with my Dad.

tebman
07-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Proud to say I was there and kept score. For fun, go to You Tube and type in Buehrle Perfect Game to see all of the amatuer video shot that day. It'll bring a tear to the eye.

:clap: We were there, too! I almost didn't go because it was a weekday afternoon and I wasn't sure I could get off work. I was prepared to give my tickets to my son so he could go with a friend.

A surreal afternoon. Especially the (literally) breathless few seconds for me in the ninth as I watched Kapler's fly ball head for left-center, and the moment I saw the ump behind second base pump his fist to call the out. That kind of experience is why we love baseball.

DumpJerry
07-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Buehrle is pitching tonight...........

MARTINMVP
07-23-2010, 12:35 PM
My fiance was there with her friends that day. None of them were even aware anything special was going on until the 8th inning when the people around were whispering about it. I was stuck at work and had no idea any of it was going on until she texted me in the bottom of the 8th. I told her that by doing that, she had just jinxed it.

soltrain21
07-23-2010, 01:03 PM
I was there with Hi I'm Skot. It was a great game.

Too bad rest of the season was AWFUL.

Nelfox02
07-23-2010, 01:08 PM
That game actually put the Sox in a tie for first with the Tigers. Needless to say, that part of the game was soon a distant memory and the Sox quickly fell well out of the race.

taking 3 of 4 from a good Rays team, capped off by the perfecto---only go to D Town and lose 3 of 4, including both games of a day night double header that big bart and contreras pitched....yuck. Didnt Jenks blow the save in the Saturday game????

GoGoCrede
07-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Can you believe it's already been a year? I'm still jealous of everyone who was there. That was a perfect day.

TornLabrum
07-23-2010, 01:59 PM
I was there, too, and it remains the high point of my baseball-watching career, probably because I didn't get to any World Series games in '05. It was my first major league no-hitter, and for it to be a perfect game just put it into a completely different realm.

Rohan
07-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Can you believe it's already been a year? I'm still jealous of everyone who was there. That was a perfect day.

I can't believe it's only been a year since that happened.

twinsuck
07-23-2010, 02:06 PM
That was the exact peak of the Sox 2009 season, after that everything went to hell.

Foulke You
07-23-2010, 02:20 PM
"He makes the catch!!!......Dwayne Wise makes the catch!! Mercy!!!!!!"

thomas35forever
07-23-2010, 02:24 PM
I still remember I was wearing a Cubs shirt from my playing days that day. Strange I decided to wear it on that particular day.

SephClone89
07-23-2010, 02:34 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122020

Though your thread title is a lot better.

GoGoCrede
07-23-2010, 03:23 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122020

Though your thread title is a lot better.

Oh crap, sorry!! :redface:

soxlady8
07-23-2010, 03:44 PM
What a magical day :)

I was given two free tickets up in 509 an hour and fifteen minutes before the game started. I hustled to get there on time. I asked a few people they could skip out of work and no one could so I went solo.

After the game , I got Scoops ice cream
on 31st street. When I got home I put my ticket in a safe and secure spot.

Last summer was the WORST summer ever for ME personally and I needed that game to help cheer me up. It was definitely the best and brightest spot for that summer.

chisoxfanatic
07-23-2010, 03:46 PM
I was considering going to the game up to a half hour before the first pitch. I wish I did so, but I was pinching pennies at that time since I didn't know if I was going to have a full-time position for the upcoming school year.

Crestani
07-23-2010, 04:06 PM
I watched it at a bar on my lunch break and needless to say, never made it back into the office..!!:busted:

FielderJones
07-23-2010, 04:15 PM
I watched it at a bar on my lunch break and needless to say, never made it back into the office..!!:busted:

:thumbsup:

I was watching on Gameday, flipping between the browser and work. When it got to the 7th inning I decided I had to see the rest on TV. Luckily the Exchequer, a couple doors down Wabash, is a Sox bar. Finished the game there, then stopped in the lunch room for some gum :busted: before returning to work.

ghostface36
07-23-2010, 04:31 PM
i wasn't there but seeing on TV was just as awesome
hawk was on another level that day in the 8th and 9th inning

IlliniSox4Life
07-23-2010, 06:46 PM
I was working, luckily my bar has TVs. The game was on and the place was dead. After the 7th inning I turned the house music down and turned on the audio to the game. There were 4 guys in the bar watching the game with me. 3 of them had heard the game on the radio and stopped in specifically to watch the end. Two (younger) people walked in right around the top of the 9th and sat at the other end of the restaurant to eat. I got them drinks and asked if they were baseball fans and they said not really. So I politely informed them that Mark Buehrle was throwing a perfect game and I am a huge baseball fan, and asked if it would be OK with them if I was a little distracted for the next 15 minutes. They were cool with it, so I went and watched the bottom of the 9th. After Wise's catch I went over and checked on em real quick and they were still deciding on what to eat, so I watched the rest of the game. You never heard a random assortment of 5 guys be so loud as that day. I bought everyone victory shots of Jameson. It was so dead that day and after paying for the shots I walked out with like $15 in tips after an 8 hour shift, and I was perfectly content.

DonnieDarko
07-23-2010, 07:14 PM
I remember going to work (I worked at Soldier Field at the time) that day and walking through the bar area of the club there and seeing Chuck Garfein talking about a "day in White Sox lore" and immediately my ears pick up.

"What happened?" I asked the bartender.

"Oh, the guy that pitched for the Sox won. He had a Perfect Game."

I flinched. "Wait, Buehrle threw a Perfect Game?"

"Yeah."

That entire day I was downright pissed. I stayed up and watched the game when I got home on Demand. Was up until 3 AM, I think.

After two innings, I also remembered nothing truly special about it while I listened to it in the car with my fiancee. I remember Farmer and DJ going at it worse than usual. I wouldn't even have thought that Buehrle would have done what he did that day, but man was it awesome. :D:

LongLiveFisk
07-23-2010, 07:33 PM
I was mad at myself because I was off work that day. My ass should have been there! Had no one to go with, but it helped me change my ways. These days, if I really want to go somewhere and no one else wants to go, screw it...I just go by myself. Who really cares anyway, you know?

ChiSoxGirl
07-24-2010, 01:57 AM
I was mad at myself because I was off work that day. My ass should have been there! Had no one to go with, but it helped me change my ways. These days, if I really want to go somewhere and no one else wants to go, screw it...I just go by myself. Who really cares anyway, you know?

I adopted this line of thinking a long time ago. If I sit around waiting for people to do stuff or go places with, I'd never go anywhere or do anything and would miss out on a lot of great places and things. Besides, this also makes you more independent, which can only be a good thing.

GoGoCrede
07-24-2010, 01:59 AM

I love going to Sox games by myself. I used to wait around for friends too, but it got tiring because none of my friends are quite as devoted as I am. I actually think I prefer going to games alone. In the same vein, I love going to movies, dinner, events, etc. on my own too. I like going at my own pace and not having to entertain someone else.

Nellie_Fox
07-24-2010, 02:07 AM
"He makes the catch!!!......Dwayne Wise makes the catch!! Mercy!!!!!!"Come on. It was the high point of the guy's career; at least get his name right.

GoGoCrede
07-24-2010, 02:09 AM
Come on. It was the high point of the guy's career; at least get his name right.

He may not have been the best player ever, but that catch ensured he would be remembered for years to come. I'm really happy he has that.

BlackandWhiteSox
07-24-2010, 02:55 AM
I'm embarrassed to admit both of these things but...

1) I missed Buehrle's no-hitter completely because I was sleeping, not even a minute after I woke up I see on TV(ESPN or CSN, I forget which) that he threw a no-hitter. I was shocked and pissed at myself. I watched it later, but it's just not the same.

2) I watched pretty much all of Buehrle's perfect game live, but I had no idea he had a perfect game going until Hawk said "Call your friends. Call your neighbors." etc. because I was on the internet so I wasn't paying that much attention. Luckily I caught that part though, I would've been really embarrassed and angry if I had missed the end.

Anyway, my heart sank just like everyone's when Kapler hit that pitch. I thought for sure it was going to land somewhere. "The Catch" was amazing, the only similar feeling I could compare it too was Pods' walkoff HR. Just absolutely stunning.

hawkjt
07-24-2010, 07:43 AM
MB is magic on 7/23 again last nite. From here forward, 7/23 will forever be known as BurlymonDay. May all your days be Burlymondays,MB!!

ode to veeck
07-24-2010, 11:10 AM
the Sox bats helped, getting the A's new ace Cahill deep into pitchcounts all night helping getting a couple of runs for Mark to work with off the normally stingy A's mound stud... but it was Mark's night for sure