PDA

View Full Version : Beckham

SCCWS
07-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Long time ( 40+) White Sox fan living in Red Sox territory. With the Comcast preview the last week, I saw 6 White Sox games w Minn and Seattle. My first real look at Beckham at 2nd. I came away w mixed thoughts. Obviously 2nd has much different angles than SS and 3rd so he is certainly still learning. Also his offensive struggles may have a negative impact on his overall play. What I saw this week:

1. He was leading the league in errors so he went into the week struggling defensively.
2. He plays as hard as anyone on the field. He must have dove ( granted he missed most or all) 6 times in 6 games. Certainly the effort is there. Couldn't tell if dives are result of poor positioning/slow reaction or just extra effort.
3. He looks very good at turning the double play, has a good arm and stands in with runners coming at him. Made a great play on a bad throw from Viciedo.
4. Didn't see many plays going back or into foul grouind.

I saw several postings on improvement of Alexei by working w Omar. Seattle announcer even commented how the 2 spend time in infield before games. I hope Gordon is getting same attention. I see a lot of Pedroia in this area and he is a great defensive 2nd baseman. With the small sampling, I defer to posters who see him more often.

hawkjt
07-23-2010, 01:25 PM
He leads the league in errors? I am surprised. I have been very happy with Gordo at second. Good range, solid hands, strong arm,and very tough hanging in there on double plays...much better than Lillibridge.

I think he is going to be an outstanding second baseman.

Zakath
07-23-2010, 01:36 PM
He leads the league in errors? I am surprised. I have been very happy with Gordo at second. Good range, solid hands, strong arm,and very tough hanging in there on double plays...much better than Lillibridge.

I think he is going to be an outstanding second baseman.

Not sure where the leading the league in errors stat came from (either overall or at his position). Gordon has 10 errors in 83 games (407 total chances) while Chone Figgins has 11 in 95 games (398 total chances). Alexei actually has more errors than Gordon does.

DumpJerry
07-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Among all MLB 2nd Basemen (as of today):

Gordon=10 errors
Chase Utley= 10 errors
Chone Figgins= 11 errors
Dan Uggla= 11 errors
Skip Schumaker=12 errors

Gordo does not lead the league in errors.

ESPN's website sorts errors by position (which is the only fair way to do it, otherwise a Shortstop would look real bad compared to an outfielder).

DirtySox
07-23-2010, 01:38 PM
I don't have many qualms with his defense. Growing pains and such. I think he will be average at worst.

Craig Grebeck
07-23-2010, 01:39 PM

Gordon=10 errors
Chase Utley= 10 errors
Chone Figgins= 11 errors
Dan Uggla= 11 errors
Skip Schumaker=12 errors

I'd be fine with it if he did. Errors are bull**** -- plus the eye test has me pleasantly surprised with his play.

twsoxfan5
07-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Also his offensive struggles may have a negative impact on his overall play. What I saw this week:

I don't really get this part b/c in the time frame you gave Beckham was really picking it up at the plate and is hitting around .400 so far in July. So I guess I am saying that maybe his offense was hurting his D earlier in the year but I don't think it is now.

oeo
07-23-2010, 01:43 PM
I'd be fine with it if he did. Errors are bull**** -- plus the eye test has me pleasantly surprised with his play.

Yes, he's adjusted pretty well. Though he does have trouble with charging and throwing on the move. That's quite a bit different from the other side of the infield though.

kufram
07-23-2010, 02:33 PM
I hope that Beckham-Ramirez are our middle infield for years to come. With Omar and PK outside them to learn from for at least the rest of this year those two guys could be the best in the majors for a long time.

TCM's only weakness is his slow starts at the plate but I think that will get better over time and if not it has at least become something not to panic about about... well some of us don't panic about!

Beckham has shown that he is tough after getting through an awful first half at the plate but not taking it out on the field with him. That has surprised me a bit. I thought he might crack. Kudos to him.

Now they both know the organization will stick by them maybe we will get lucky and get very long contracts with both when the time comes.

SCCWS
07-23-2010, 03:32 PM

Gordon=10 errors
Chase Utley= 10 errors
Chone Figgins= 11 errors
Dan Uggla= 11 errors
Skip Schumaker=12 errors

ESPN's website sorts errors by position (which is the only fair way to do it, otherwise a Shortstop would look real bad compared to an outfielder).

I posted that going into this week Beckham led the league ( not the majors) in errors by a 2nd baseman. Figgins passed him this week.