PDA

View Full Version : Sox To Open Beer Garden Outside Gate 5

Sockinchisox
07-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Will be called "TBD's" and opens next Monday two hours before gametime.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20100722&content_id=12520318&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

DumpJerry
07-22-2010, 05:38 PM
During the last homestand before the ASB, I saw they were doing something there and meant to email my rep about it. Should be a fun place to meet and greet.

soltrain21
What an awful name.

Medford Bobby
To Be Determined :scratch:

ewokpelts
kudos to the sox! now let's see more of this in the future!

salty99
07-22-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm sure the name will change once they find a sponsor.

Hitmen77
07-22-2010, 05:46 PM

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20100722&content_id=12520318&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

I did notice a couple of weeks ago that they had part of the area in front of gate 5 torn up.

I wonder when they're going to fill that empty space in the new structure that replaced half of the ramp by gate 5?

hawkjt
07-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Saw that area torn up last homestand...I thought it was kind of dumb to be tearing up during the peak season,so good that they finished it quickly.

Nice option for folks to meet pre-game,and to let train and road traffic clear out post-game.

soxfan43
07-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Saw that area torn up last homestand...I thought it was kind of dumb to be tearing up during the peak season,so good that they finished it quickly.

Nice option for folks to meet pre-game,and to let train and road traffic clear out post-game.

Should hopefully make the Bullpen Bar a bit less crowded now that there's another post game option. Hate the name obviously, but Im sure they'll find a sponsor.

DumpJerry
07-22-2010, 06:20 PM
Should hopefully make the Bullpen Bar a bit less crowded now that there's another post game option. Hate the name obviously, but Im sure they'll find a sponsor.
It's not a full service bar like the Bullpen Sports Bar. After a Bobby Jenks outing, you'll need something stronger than beer or wine.

LoveYourSuit
07-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Is this the best we can do? :(:

Man, all the talk from the past had me thinking an actual establishment/restaurant would open in that area. This is just another half ass improvement if you ask me.

2 tents, a bunch of benches and $7 domestic beer ....... makes you wish crappy as Jimbos was back.

Jerko
07-22-2010, 07:49 PM
Didn't they have a huge tailgate tent there years ago? Don't think that lasted an entire season.

ChiSoxGirl
07-22-2010, 07:52 PM
This is good stuff right here! I love the idea of having another place for pre and post-game meet-ups.

LoveYourSuit
07-22-2010, 08:14 PM
Is this thing facing 35th street or is it on the other side facing the parking lot?

rookie
07-22-2010, 08:28 PM
The Nationals have something similar to this. You just go in there after the game, get a postgame beer and mingle until you feel like dealing with the traffic. They were hoping the area was going to be developed until the market went under, so in the meantime they do this tent thing. I like the idea that it's outside for when it's nice.

Brian26
07-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Is this thing facing 35th street or is it on the other side facing the parking lot?

It has to be on the parking lot side. There wouldn't be enough room to place it on the street side.

SaltyPretzel
07-22-2010, 09:26 PM
I like the idea but not sure if letting people in there without game tickets is gonna work. I'm assuming it's closed DURING the game?

I think the Cubs do the same thing with their Captain Morgan club.

beasly213
07-22-2010, 09:27 PM

Man, all the talk from the past had me thinking an actual establishment/restaurant would open in that area. This is just another half ass improvement if you ask me.

2 tents, a bunch of benches and $7 domestic beer ....... makes you wish crappy as Jimbos was back.

No it doesn't. There a handful of nicer bars now around the park instead of that dump.

This is the first step give it time and I think the Sox will get more and more places around the park to eat and drink before and after the game.

tsoxman
07-22-2010, 09:35 PM
I think the Cubs do the same thing with their Captain Morgan club.
You're right...that's basically all the Captain Morgan Club is- a beer garden.

tony1972
07-22-2010, 09:40 PM
The Nationals have something similar to this. You just go in there after the game, get a postgame beer and mingle until you feel like dealing with the traffic. They were hoping the area was going to be developed until the market went under, so in the meantime they do this tent thing. I like the idea that it's outside for when it's nice.

Agreed. No one really anticipated the economy going the way it has the past few years back when the Sox had some of their plans in place 2006 / 2007.

If the economy and market hadn't collapsed..I think there would have been a lot of development the past two years. Right now..funds and resources simply are not there. That's not the White Sox fault.

If the economy rebounds in a couple years...I'm sure we'll see more devlopment...

Viva Medias B's
07-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Having just come back from St. Louis, it looks like TBDs is really like the beer gardens the Hilton Hotel and Mike Shannon's have outside of Busch Stadium. The difference here is that the Sox would run TBDs while the Cardinals obviously don't run these beer gardens.

LoveYourSuit
07-22-2010, 09:41 PM
No it doesn't. There a handful of nicer bars now around the park instead of that dump.

This is the first step give it time and I think the Sox will get more and more places around the park to eat and drink before and after the game.

When you say around the park, that's a bit misleading.

If you have to go 4-5 blocks away from where you left your car parked (the parking lot) then what's the point?

oeo
07-22-2010, 09:47 PM

The article clearly says, "The White Sox also continue to consider further development and expansion of the Gate 5 area."

So no, just because this is the first thing does not mean it will be the last.

LoveYourSuit
07-22-2010, 09:49 PM
The article clearly says, "The White Sox also continue to consider further development and expansion of the Gate 5 area."

I know, I did see that.

But to wait this long to just get that, that's kind of a letdown (to me).

tony1972
07-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Having just come back from St. Louis, it looks like TBDs is really like the beer gardens the Hilton Hotel and Mike Shannon's have outside of Busch Stadium. The difference here is that the Sox would run TBDs while the Cardinals obviously don't run these beer gardens.

The area is slowly picking up. Here are a few points I'd like to bring up:

(1) Right now if you live in the South / Southwest Suburbs..your only option is to drive..or take the train all the way downtown..then the red line back to 35th. Next year we will have the stop at Metra

(2) Cork and Kerry just opened and is a great improvement over Jimbo's

(3) Rocky's on 31st (if you dont mind walking 5 or 10 minutes) is a nice place to go to before and after a game

(4) Halsted around 35th has a few options now. There's Shaller's Pump, Catcher's Inn, Wings and Rings and Mitchell's all near each other.

(5) We have tailgating and now the beer garden at Gate 5.

I wish Sox fans would stop complaining / comparing the area to Wrigleyville. Do you want to go somewhere such as the Cubby Bear which is overpriced and you have to tip someone because they hand you a paper towel after you use the men's room? Or not have the option to tailgate and have to spend $60 at bars / clubs to meet up with friends before and after a game and have some drinks?

I think we have some good options. Definitely not as many..and there's some walking involved..but we also have options they don't have in Wrigleville (like tailgating).

I swear..we could win the World Series every year...the Sox could charge a $1 for tickets....they could personally send a limo to our homes and pick us up and take us to the games..and you'd still find some Sox fans that would find something to be unhappy about!!

tony1972
07-22-2010, 09:51 PM
When you say around the park, that's a bit misleading.

If you have to go 4-5 blocks away from where you left your car parked (the parking lot) then what's the point?

OMG! WALKING 4 BLOCKS!!! HOW CAN ANYONE DO DO THAT?!!?!?! I'm not going to try it...I'd hate for them to send out a rescue party after I collapse in the middle of 35th because I walked a quarter mile!!

LoveYourSuit
07-22-2010, 09:55 PM
The area is slowly picking up. Here are a few points I'd like to bring up:

(1) Right now if you live in the South / Southwest Suburbs..your only option is to drive..or take the train all the way downtown..then the red line back to 35th. Next year we will have the stop at Metra

(2) Cork and Kerry just opened and is a great improvement over Jimbo's

(3) Rocky's on 31st (if you dont mind walking 5 or 10 minutes) is a nice place to go to before and after a game

(4) Halsted around 35th has a few options now. There's Shaller's Pump, Catcher's Inn, Wings and Rings and Mitchell's all near each other.

(5) We have tailgating and now the beer garden at Gate 5.

I wish Sox fans would stop complaining / comparing the area to Wrigleyville. Do you want to go somewhere such as the Cubby Bear which is overpriced and you have to tip someone because they hand you a paper towel after you use the men's room? Or not have the option to tailgate and have to spend $60 at bars / clubs to meet up with friends before and after a game and have some drinks?

I think we have some good options. Definitely not as many..and there's some walking involved..but we also have options they don't have in Wrigleville (like tailgating).

I swear..we could win the World Series every year...the Sox could charge a $1 for tickets....they could personally send a limo to our homes and pick us up and take us to the games..and you'd still find some Sox fans that would find something to be unhappy about!!

All of the above, how exciting!

tony1972
07-22-2010, 09:58 PM
All of the above, how exciting!

Well..if we make the playoffs..it will be exciting...:smile:

LoveYourSuit
07-22-2010, 09:59 PM
OMG! WALKING 4 BLOCKS!!! HOW CAN ANYONE DO DO THAT?!!?!?! I'm not going to try it...I'd hate for them to send out a rescue party after I collapse in the middle of 35th because I walked a quarter mile!!

Ask Bill Simonson how his walk to Jimbos went.

tony1972
07-22-2010, 10:01 PM

The one from ESPN? that was in 2000 and Jimbo's was right next to the ballpark...

LoveYourSuit
07-22-2010, 10:02 PM
Well..if we make the playoffs..it will be exciting...:smile:

Good White Sox baseball doesn't need to be sold to Sox fans. We will show up.

Casual baseball fans, or party people, they need the ambience the atmospher to show up.

Need to make it an event.

LoveYourSuit
07-22-2010, 10:03 PM
The one from ESPN? that was in 2000 and Jimbo's was right next to the ballpark...

Not "right next to the ballpark."

It's that dreaded 3 block walk.

kittle42
07-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Good White Sox baseball doesn't need to be sold to Sox fans. We will show up.

Casual baseball fans, or party people, they need the ambience the atmospher to show up.

Need to make it an event.

And you know what? Those people bring money to the team which, in turn, *should* make the team better.

CHISOXFAN13
07-22-2010, 10:22 PM

You believe that blowhard's story? LOL.

doublem23
07-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Not "right next to the ballpark."

It's that dreaded 3 block walk.

:violin:

Then go to the beer garden and pay $7 for a beer. Face it, nobody wants a ****ty corporate sports bar attached to the Cell. Not the people in the neighborhood and there's no way any sane businessman is going to put a restaurant in the middle of a sea of parking lots for 81 days of business and 284 dead days.

thomas35forever
07-22-2010, 10:32 PM
It could definitely have a better name.

GoSox2K3
07-22-2010, 10:39 PM

Yeah, I know, we saw that. But to have Sox fans not complain about something is kind of a letdown.

:rolleyes:

Jpgr91
07-22-2010, 10:41 PM
I think it is interesting that the Sox are finally deciding to "go it alone" in the development of the Gate 5 area. Hopefully this move signals that they are willing to take a little bit of financial risk in getting the area fully developed. I find it pretty dissapointing that the building on the North Side of 35th street is still vacant.

doublem23
07-22-2010, 10:45 PM

The moral of that story is don't go out looking for fights when you're drunk after midnight.

Gavin
07-22-2010, 10:46 PM
I think it is interesting that the Sox are finally deciding to "go it alone" in the development of the Gate 5 area. Hopefully this move signals that they are willing to take a little bit of financial risk in getting the area fully developed. I find it pretty dissapointing that the building on the North Side of 35th street is still vacant.

Even with this "bar", in terms of after-work it's just easier to grab a few in a bar in the loop and head to the south side. What's stopping the neighborhood near sox park from having some sports bars a la Wrigleyville? The 81 game argument? Or the neighborhood?

LoveYourSuit
07-22-2010, 11:01 PM

Then go to the beer garden and pay $7 for a beer. Face it, nobody wants a ****ty corporate sports bar attached to the Cell. Not the people in the neighborhood and there's no way any sane businessman is going to put a restaurant in the middle of a sea of parking lots for 81 days of business and 284 dead days.

:violin: right back at you.

I forgot, the Cell is in the middle of the Sahara Desert. :rolleyes:

Did you know that there is a college just east of the park, a police station down the street, and actual homes within 2 blocks of the stadium?

But everyone there bags a lunch, no way they can afford to eat out.

Jpgr91
07-22-2010, 11:03 PM
Even with this "bar", in terms of after-work it's just easier to grab a few in a bar in the loop and head to the south side. What's stopping the neighborhood near sox park from having some sports bars a la Wrigleyville? The 81 game argument? Or the neighborhood?

I think its a combination of both the neighborhood and the 81 games. There area around USCF is less densely populated than other areas of the city. The lower population density leads to only having large crowds 81 times a year.

LoveYourSuit
07-22-2010, 11:05 PM
The moral of that story is don't go out looking for fights when you're drunk after midnight.

He got his ass kicked by the park. by a band of thugs on his way to an establishment 3 blocks from the stadium.

If the establishment was across the street, this would not have happened.

kittle42
07-22-2010, 11:16 PM
What's stopping the neighborhood near sox park from having some sports bars a la Wrigleyville? The 81 game argument? Or the neighborhood?

Both.

GoGoCrede
07-22-2010, 11:26 PM
I never saw much of the neighborhood before my internship near the park the summer. I like it, and I do hope more establishments can be built near there. That said, I will probably avoid this like the Bullpen Sports Bar, because I always have this vision of it being crowded every single time I try to go (dunno if that's true).

Jerko
07-22-2010, 11:44 PM
So, over under. How many people do we think will try to drive TO the Cell AFTER the game monday to use the beer garden since you don't need a game ticket to drink there? I give it a week or 2 before they change that. (I'm only being half sarcastic sadly)

beasly213
07-23-2010, 12:07 AM

People who live near the park don't want Wrigleyville part 2 near them. There are a lot of families here and come 10:30 it gets really quiet and its nice. The people that live here aren't begging for a ton of overpriced bars and all the headaches that come with it.

Part of the reason I moved to Bridgeport was because it is the polar opposite of Wrigleyville. I like to visit Lakeview and Lincoln Park but there is no way I would want to live there.

beasly213
07-23-2010, 12:08 AM
I never saw much of the neighborhood before my internship near the park the summer. I like it, and I do hope more establishments can be built near there. That said, I will probably avoid this like the Bullpen Sports Bar, because I always have this vision of it being crowded every single time I try to go (dunno if that's true).

Bullpen Sports bar usually isn't too crowded during the game. That's when I like to check it out. You can watch the game from field level and enjoy a beer. :gulp:

kittle42
07-23-2010, 12:27 AM
That said, I will probably avoid this like the Bullpen Sports Bar, because I always have this vision of it being crowded every single time I try to go (dunno if that's true).

It is most certainly not true.

kittle42
07-23-2010, 12:28 AM
People who live near the park don't want Wrigleyville part 2 near them. There are a lot of families here and come 10:30 it gets really quiet and its nice. The people that live here aren't begging for a ton of overpriced bars and all the headaches that come with it.

Part of the reason I moved to Bridgeport was because it is the polar opposite of Wrigleyville. I like to visit Lakeview and Lincoln Park but there is no way I would want to live there.

It's great here. I really don't want to have to drive 2 miles to get to Jewel. The South Side is a dead zone of activity.

When I decide to settle down and have a family, Lincoln Square it is.

ilsox7
07-23-2010, 12:33 AM
It's great here. I really don't want to have to drive 2 miles to get to Jewel. The South Side is a dead zone of activity.

I love me some Lincoln Square. But I have also fallen hard for Printer's Row. It's gonna take a lot to get me out of here.

chisoxfanatic
07-23-2010, 12:36 AM

This is not true. It just doesn't have the same vibe as the touristy Lakeview (which probably has as many transplants as natives--not my cuppa tea). My mom actually has told me she's glad I decided to live here in this neighborhood over some north side neighborhoods many times. I've lived by myself in Bridgeport now for over 5 1/2 years (same place) and live in the quietest part of the neighborhood (east of Halsted, north of 31st Street). It quiets down here around 8-9 on most nights!

There is a Dominick's just 1 mile away from where I live at Archer & Ashland! 2 miles isn't that much to drive to go to Jewel. There's one right at Roosevelt & Wabash (although I tend to go to the one on Des Plaines just north of Lake to avoid some of the "element" that shops at the one at R & W, plus the checkout wait is much less--it's a nicer Jewel by far).

This place is just 3 miles south of downtown as well, and 4 blocks from the Orange Line. There are so many awesome things about living here!

kittle42
07-23-2010, 01:02 AM
This is not true. It just doesn't have the same vibe as the touristy Lakeview (which probably has as many transplants as natives--not my cuppa tea). My mom actually has told me she's glad I decided to live here in this neighborhood over some north side neighborhoods many times. I've lived by myself in Bridgeport now for over 5 1/2 years (same place) and live in the quietest part of the neighborhood (east of Halsted, north of 31st Street). It quiets down here around 8-9 on most nights!

There is a Dominick's just 1 mile away from where I live at Archer & Ashland! 2 miles isn't that much to drive to go to Jewel. There's one right at Roosevelt & Wabash (although I tend to go to the one on Des Plaines just north of Lake to avoid some of the "element" that shops at the one at R & W, plus the checkout wait is much less--it's a nicer Jewel by far).

This place is just 3 miles south of downtown as well, and 4 blocks from the Orange Line. There are so many awesome things about living here!

To me, most of that sounds terrible. To each his/her own!

doublem23
07-23-2010, 06:36 AM
He got his ass kicked by the park. by a band of thugs on his way to an establishment 3 blocks from the stadium.

If the establishment was across the street, this would not have happened.

That is absolutely not what happened.

doublem23
07-23-2010, 06:45 AM
So, over under. How many people do we think will try to drive TO the Cell AFTER the game monday to use the beer garden since you don't need a game ticket to drink there? I give it a week or 2 before they change that. (I'm only being half sarcastic sadly)

This is exactly what has always been the problem with the Cell... It's a suburban designed ballpark dropped in the middle of an urban environment. Wrigley is an urban park in an urban environment. The answer to some of our problems isn't to add more suburban elements (like a ****box Buffalo Wild Wings or whatever).

The Dude
07-23-2010, 07:24 AM

I live in the neighborhood and have no problem with a corporate sports bar or any bar or restaurant for that matter. I know many people in the area also have no issue with this either.

Just to mention, there is another establishment that should be open by next month called "Turtles Bar and Grill" which is located on 33rd and Wells, just a block east of Cork and Kerrys. Should be interesting to see how this place does. :gulp:

Parrothead
07-23-2010, 07:46 AM
I love me some Lincoln Square. But I have also fallen hard for Printer's Row. It's gonna take a lot to get me out of here.

Not even if I was given a ton of cash would i live there.

To me, most of that sounds terrible. To each his/her own!

Agreed.

hawkjt
07-23-2010, 08:10 AM
I know there was talk of a Sox owned building of sorts north of the park tht would include a resturant,memorbilia store,and sports bar as recently as last winter. I presume that is still being considered and that this beer tent is just a little added ''socializing'' spot outside the park.

I have walked past that place under construction,''Turtles'' and they were working on it even after a game,so I presume they are working non-stop to get it open for this season. Does not look large,but still looks like it could be a nice option...and provide a bit of synergy with Cork and Kerry.
Anyone know what is going on with the other end of the block to the west from Cork and Kerry...is that building just going to be residential or a resturant as rumored? If it is, then that would be like 3 spots in a block and a half ...only two blocks from the park,and only a block from the north end of the el stop for those taking the train. I think it would work fine as a jumping off point after the game for el riders.

dwitt76
07-23-2010, 08:39 AM
Has anybody been to the cork and kerry yet? I am curious how it is. Never been to one.

doublem23
07-23-2010, 08:57 AM
Not even if I was given a ton of cash would i live there.

Agreed.

Isn't it *slightly* ironic to agree with the "to each their own" comment and then rag on someone for enjoying Printer's Row? I mean, I'd rather splatter my brains on the wall than live in the SW suburbs, but I understand why it appeals to others.

This is the wonderful thing about Chicago, there's living environments for all different types of people. If you want to live in a quite subdivision, there's places like that. If you want to live in an attractive, walkable urban environment, that exists, too. Back when I lived in Peoria, IL there was basically nothing; you could choose to live in rundown, crime-infested wasteland, disgusting urban sprawl, or on a farm in the middle of ****ing nowhere. There was, maybe, 1 square mile of a liveable urban setting.

fox23
07-23-2010, 08:58 AM
This is a great idea and I'm glad they finally did it. For everyone throwing out other options and saying there's already bars around, this place isn't for you then. Trust me, for every one of us who knows some of the watering holes around the park, there's 10 more people who drive to the game that don't nor have any desire to.

Also, whether it is fair or not, there is a stigma of the neighborhood that keeps most people from wandering around the park after games, especially night games. I think this is the perfect place to relax and have a beer or soda while traffic dies down on a weekday night.

DumpJerry
07-23-2010, 09:10 AM
This thread is deja vu all over again. Same old tired arguments about "not enough bars spitting distance from the park" and "Lakeview=Heavan" etc. etc.

People, it is what it is. The Sox are located in residential area, accept that fact-it will never change. You want to go to a baseball game in the middle of Disneyland for adults? Go to The Urinal. After all when go to a bar after the game at The Urinal, your car is right across the street in the parking lot....oh wait.....never mind. You still have to walk 5 miles to your car from a Cubs' game.

dickallen15
07-23-2010, 09:51 AM
The White Sox had a beer garden six or seven years ago for a few months.

As for the Cork and Kerry, I haven't gone in, but have been by there several times. It looks pretty nice.

doublem23
07-23-2010, 10:04 AM
As for the Cork and Kerry, I haven't gone in, but have been by there several times. It looks pretty nice.

It's getting pretty decent reviews... Might go down sometime this weekend to avoid the gameday crowds.

twsoxfan5
07-23-2010, 10:12 AM
I like the idea a lot. I also like all the new bars in the area going up. Sometimes I head to the bullpen bar before a game, sometimes I go to Market beforehand (I work in the West Loop) and sometimes I hit up a bar around the stadium. Point being is that these all seem like good things.

Oh yeah and I also like the north & south sides of town. I have lived in Tinley Park, Lakeview, Old Town, Bucktown, Palos Heights, and very soon Orland Park. I have found that they all have good qualities.

Ok sorry for being so positive. :D:

roylestillman
07-23-2010, 10:13 AM
The White Sox had a beer garden six or seven years ago for a few months.

I remember that, but if I remember half the time it was rented out for some kind of private party. If that happens here (see Fan Deck) I wil be disappointed. This place is great for it's location. Its the first gate off the El which may pull in the casual fan. Allowing non ticketed fans in is great and will solve the problem of where to meet up with friends who have tickets with those who don't.

A few questions: Will there be food? Will there be real bathrooms?

(By the way, did anybody notice that the tables in the press release rendering are blue?)

beasly213
07-23-2010, 10:27 AM

Bridgeport isn't a happening place where there are tons of things to do every night and it's always a party but it is close enough to everything I enjoy (downtown, West Loop, Museum Campus, U.S. Cellular Field, neighborhood bars where the bartenders remember you by name) which is why I like living there.

Like doub said the great thing about Chicago is there is a neighborhood for just about everybody. I don't really get why everyone wants the Sox to have something simmilar to Wrigley in terms of stuff to do before and after the game. If you look around baseball there aren't a lot of stadiums that have the same neighborhood and atmosphere that Wrigley does.

The Yankees don't play in a great neighborhood with a ton of things to do, neither do the Mets, the Indians, The Dodgers, The Angels, the Rangers, and on and on across baseball.

When I go to Sox games I like to tailgate, go to the games and head home. I suppose that is just me though. :cool:

Meixner007
07-23-2010, 10:44 AM
So I'll keep from forming an opinion until I hear what other people have to say, but I don't understand the point of this?

Why pay for beer and stand outside the park when you can bring your own beer and stand outside the park? If you're going to pay for beer why not buy it inside the park instead of standing outside the park?

DumpJerry
07-23-2010, 10:46 AM
The Yankees don't play in a great neighborhood with a ton of things to do, neither do the Mets, the Indians, The Dodgers, The Angels, the Rangers, and on and on across baseball.
..and with the exception of the Rangers, all of these teams have won at least one World Series title since 1908. Maybe it's not dead goats after all.......

Jerko
07-23-2010, 10:46 AM
I don't mind new bars or what not going up in the hood or near the park. What I do think is a bad idea is having unticketed people roaming around/driving to the parking lots if they are not attending the game. I can also see tailgaters starting **** when they are told they have to go into the park when the game starts while people in the beer garden don't. And we are all assuming that ALL the people that will show up here are interested in baseball. I can see a batch of thugs just hanging out there trying to rip off people going to and leaving the game. But I'm cynical that way. Hope it works out well but I wouldn't be surprised if they had to tweak the rules as we go forward.

DumpJerry
07-23-2010, 10:47 AM
So I'll keep from forming an opinion until I hear what other people have to say, but I don't understand the point of this?

Why pay for beer and stand outside the park when you can bring your own beer and stand outside the park? If you're going to pay for beer why not buy it inside the park instead of standing outside the park?
If you don't drive to the game, you won't have a car to tailgate in. You don't want to take the time to set up a tailgate. Just to mention a couple of reasons.

DumpJerry
07-23-2010, 10:49 AM
I don't mind new bars or what not going up in the hood or near the park. What I do think is a bad idea is having unticketed people roaming around/driving to the parking lots if they are not attending the game. I can also see tailgaters starting **** when they are told they have to go into the park when the game starts while people in the beer garden don't. And we are all assuming that ALL the people that will show up here are interested in baseball. I can see a batch of thugs just hanging out there trying to rip off people going to and leaving the game. But I'm cynical that way. Hope it works out well but I wouldn't be surprised if they had to tweak the rules as we go forward.
From the press release, it sounds like the beer garden will be closed during the game. Unless it is a Buehrle game, who is going to hang around outside a ballpark for three hours for the opportunity to rob someone in front of 20,000 people?

dwitt76
07-23-2010, 10:49 AM
For a person who takes the EL to the games (do not own a car). I would rather drink an overpriced beer in this beer garden than sit in a parking lot and drinking a six pack w/o knowing a person with a car. I have never done the latter nor ever will, but I see myself drinking in this beer garden. :gulp:

g0g0
07-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Cool, maybe the party will move from Wrigley.

Jerko
07-23-2010, 11:02 AM
From the press release, it sounds like the beer garden will be closed during the game. Unless it is a Buehrle game, who is going to hang around outside a ballpark for three hours for the opportunity to rob someone in front of 20,000 people?

I assume it is open during the game because boyer was quoted as saying the beer garden "will serve as a place to watch games with other Sox fans." When word gets out I wouldn't put it past people to go there a half-hour or so after the game ends and try to jack people who have been drinking for 5 or 6 hours.

roylestillman
07-23-2010, 11:05 AM

There are days when the cooler, ice, chairs, beer, pack, unpack, pack routine gets a little old for a few beers before the game.

doublem23
07-23-2010, 11:11 AM
There are days when the cooler, ice, chairs, beer, pack, unpack, pack routine gets a little old for a few beers before the game.

Especially on a weekday.

hawkjt
07-23-2010, 11:15 AM
I assume it is open during the game because boyer was quoted as saying the beer garden "will serve as a place to watch games with other Sox fans." When word gets out I wouldn't put it past people to go there a half-hour or so after the game ends and try to jack people who have been drinking for 5 or 6 hours.

Wow, how often have people who hang around the bullpen bar for an hour after the game been ''jacked'' leaving the park lately....guess I missed all the coverage of these incidents.

As for why would people go there? Because tons of fans come on the el, and are waiting to meet people outside the park before the game, and would like to have a beer while waiting.
And after the game, instead of going to the other side of the park to have a beer in the bullpen bar while waiting for the el rush to recede or traffic to die down, the can now walk out of the park,down the stairs(which I love over those endless ramps) and saunter over to a beer garden for that beer.

I do not think the Sox are presenting this as some kind of major entertainment option,but just a fan friendly,low-key ballpark area meeting spot. If no one likes it, then it will probably fade quickly....but I will stop in personally and when meeting friends outside the park...it will be my new meeting spot.

Railsplitter
07-23-2010, 11:24 AM

I have Tix for next monday!:D:

LoveYourSuit
07-23-2010, 11:27 AM
This thread is deja vu all over again. Same old tired arguments about "not enough bars spitting distance from the park" and "Lakeview=Heavan" etc. etc.

People, it is what it is. The Sox are located in residential area, accept that fact-it will never change. You want to go to a baseball game in the middle of Disneyland for adults? Go to The Urinal. After all when go to a bar after the game at The Urinal, your car is right across the street in the parking lot....oh wait.....never mind. You still have to walk 5 miles to your car from a Cubs' game.

You have to pamper to both crowds to survive in this era.

There are not enough die hards to pack the cell each and every night. You have to get more of the Disneyland crowd into the park to make ends meet.

I know we the Sox fans like to thump our chests about this being only about baseball, that is not the way it works. It's a business first, and then a game.

LoveYourSuit
07-23-2010, 11:30 AM
I remember that, but if I remember half the time it was rented out for some kind of private party. If that happens here (see Fan Deck) I wil be disappointed. This place is great for it's location. Its the first gate off the El which may pull in the casual fan. Allowing non ticketed fans in is great and will solve the problem of where to meet up with friends who have tickets with those who don't.

A few questions: Will there be food? Will there be real bathrooms?

(By the way, did anybody notice that the tables in the press release rendering are blue?)

Doesn't mention anything about food, nor do I see them building bathrooms for this thing. I expect to see the green portables placed in there.

LoveYourSuit
07-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Wow, how often have people who hang around the bullpen bar for an hour after the game been ''jacked'' leaving the park lately....guess I missed all the coverage of these incidents.

As for why would people go there? Because tons of fans come on the el, and are waiting to meet people outside the park before the game, and would like to have a beer while waiting.
And after the game, instead of going to the other side of the park to have a beer in the bullpen bar while waiting for the el rush to recede or traffic to die down, the can now walk out of the park,down the stairs(which I love over those endless ramps) and saunter over to a beer garden for that beer.

I do not think the Sox are presenting this as some kind of major entertainment option,but just a fan friendly,low-key ballpark area meeting spot. If no one likes it, then it will probably fade quickly....but I will stop in personally and when meeting friends outside the park...it will be my new meeting spot.

Biggest mistake about this park was building the bullpen bar and stadium club on the RF corner insread of the LF corner where access to a major avenue was available.

kobo
07-23-2010, 11:38 AM
This is a great idea. I usually take the el to the game and meet up with friends, so now instead of walking around with a 12 pack waiting to meet up or trying to find them I can head to the beer garden, have a beer or two, and then meet my friends. And like someone else said, instead of heading down to the bullpen bar after the game to let some of the crowd thin out can now head to the beer garden. It's a win win.

Meixner007
07-23-2010, 11:45 AM
If you don't drive to the game, you won't have a car to tailgate in. You don't want to take the time to set up a tailgate. Just to mention a couple of reasons.

For a person who takes the EL to the games (do not own a car). I would rather drink an overpriced beer in this beer garden than sit in a parking lot and drinking a six pack w/o knowing a person with a car. I have never done the latter nor ever will, but I see myself drinking in this beer garden. :gulp:

Especially on a weekday.

This is a great idea. I usually take the el to the game and meet up with friends, so now instead of walking around with a 12 pack waiting to meet up or trying to find them I can head to the beer garden, have a beer or two, and then meet my friends. And like someone else said, instead of heading down to the bullpen bar after the game to let some of the crowd thin out can now head to the beer garden. It's a win win.

I guess we have different definitions of tailgaiting. It today's economy I'm surprised people aren't trying to save more when and where they can.

90% of the games I go to I will "tailgate." I'll pick up a 6-pack to a case, depending how many people I'm meeting up with and take the EL to the game. I'll walk to parking lot b, where there's a grassy patch, next to where the busses park, and throw back a few there. It's hardly inconvienent, and actually pretty nice. It happens so often, I just tell my friends to meet me at "the spot."

But to each their own I guess.

jdm2662
07-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Am I the only one that only cares about the team on the field and not cool things to do? :scratch:

DumpJerry
07-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Biggest mistake about this park was building the bullpen bar and stadium club on the RF corner insread of the LF corner where access to a major avenue was available.
:scratch:?

I did not know the BSB and Stadium Club have a drive-through lane like McDonald's.

chisoxfanatic
07-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Am I the only one that only cares about the team on the field and not cool things to do? :scratch:
No, you aren't the only one. Tailgating can be fun, but I could take that or leave it. The game is what matters here, and I'm sure the vast majority of the posters here feel the same.

chisoxfanatic
07-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Wow, how often have people who hang around the bullpen bar for an hour after the game been ''jacked'' leaving the park lately....guess I missed all the coverage of these incidents..
The BP Bar is open for an hour after the game? Maybe 5 or 6 years ago. But, with each progressing year, it's been open for less and less time after the game. I went there a few times last year, and the last call was about 20 minutes after we got in, and then we were told to leave soon after!

jdm2662
07-23-2010, 12:03 PM
The BP Bar is open for an hour after the game? Maybe 5 or 6 years ago. But, with each progressing year, it's been open for less and less time after the game. I went there a few times last year, and the last call was about 20 minutes after we got in, and then we were told to leave soon after!

Could it be because there are more people in it now? My friends I and went to it quite a bit in 2000/2001 when there were maybe 16K at the ballpark. It wasn't crowed at all. The last few times I've gone, it's wall to wall of people. This was even in 2000 during a Bears/Packers game. We got a seat with no issues.

doublem23
07-23-2010, 12:12 PM

There are not enough die hards to pack the cell each and every night. You have to get more of the Disneyland crowd into the park to make ends meet.

I know we the Sox fans like to thump our chests about this being only about baseball, that is not the way it works. It's a business first, and then a game.

God damn, will you quit your ****ing complaining? The Sox aren't struggling to make ends meet, they still have a top 10 payroll in baseball, and nowhere does it say that this is the end-all, be-all of their plans to reinvest in the surrounding neighborhood. Here's the thing, though, if you want to replicate Wrigleyville, then your first enemy are the parking lots. You can't have both, an active urban environment and then acres of ugly, empty land.

DumpJerry
07-23-2010, 12:15 PM
God damn, will you quit your ****ing complaining? The Sox aren't struggling to make ends meet, they still have a top 10 payroll in baseball, and nowhere does it say that this is the end-all, be-all of their plans to reinvest in the surrounding neighborhood. Here's the thing, though, if you want to replicate Wrigleyville, then your first enemy are the parking lots. You can't have both, an active urban environment and then acres of ugly, empty land.
Make the parking lots below ground so that bars and roller coasters can be built above them.

TomBradley72
07-23-2010, 12:19 PM

Well said. The idea that bars and restaurants within a short walk of the ballpark is "Disneyland or Wrigleyville" is pretty silly....it's pretty common across the league that fans enjoy having that as part of the experience.

DumpJerry
07-23-2010, 12:23 PM
it's pretty common across the league that fans enjoy having that as part of the experience.
Actually, it's not. Most ballparks are an island surrounded by tons of parking in remote areas. But that point has already been made in this thread. Several times.

doublem23
Well said. The idea that bars and restaurants within a short walk of the ballpark is "Disneyland or Wrigleyville" is pretty silly....it's pretty common across the league that fans enjoy having that as part of the experience.

And there are more bars opening around the Cell, just in the past few years there's at least 4-5 now that have opened up within 5 minutes of the park. But you know, those don't count, because one ****faced douchebag got roughed up at 2 AM... in 2000. :rolleyes:

I definitely can't wait until the Chili's, Buffalo Wild Wings, and Benigan's opens. Then it will be a real life Chicago experience!

LoveYourSuit

It's a "God damn" open forum, isn't?

Get off your damn high horse.

I was just stating my opinion.

I'm done with this ****ing topic.

doublem23
07-23-2010, 12:27 PM
It's a "God damn" open forum, isn't?

Get off your damn high horse.

I was just stating my opinion.

I'm done with this ****ing topic.

It is an open forum, so don't get offended when people call you out for bitching and moaning and pissing and crying about every. single. little. ****ing. thing.

Oh no, the Sox opened up a beer garden by the ballpark... THAT'S TERRIBLE. Another option for fans to congregate, or have a drink, or completely ignore if they choose to... WHAT A GOD DAMN NIGHTMARE.

Cat Thief
07-23-2010, 12:27 PM
:popcorn:

kittle42
07-23-2010, 12:36 PM
After all when go to a bar after the game at The Urinal, your car is right across the street in the parking lot....oh wait.....never mind. You still have to walk 5 miles to your car from a Cubs' game.

And that's what anyone who drives deserves! :tongue:

doublem23
07-23-2010, 12:37 PM

For serious, I don't even like driving to Sox games. Anyone who drives to Cubs games is out of their damn mind.

kittle42
07-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Actually, it's not. Most ballparks are an island surrounded by tons of parking in remote areas. But that point has already been made in this thread. Several times.

You are right - but most ballparks are not located 8 miles from another ballpark with a completely different surrounding area.

hawkjt
07-23-2010, 12:41 PM

I could be wrong,but I thought they kept it open for awhile. I have only been down there pre-game and during those rain delays last homestand this year.

As for carrying the sixpack on the el,and drinking over at the tables by the bus parking...I agree that is a cheaper way to go,and we do it often.
What kind of pisses me off is that they removed the handful of tables that are right by the entrance which is where we congregated in the past,and moved them over by the bus parking...not sure why,but maybe it was in anticipation of this new beer garden. Now there are only these tiny two seat tables in that area...oh well...just my opinion,but more options is always a good thing...as we are in America and no one has to do anything they do not want to do.:D:

DumpJerry
07-23-2010, 12:56 PM
LYS complained about having to walk three blocks to his car after drinking at a Bridgeport bar post Sox game.

*awaits LYS' excuse why he should not have gotten a DUI*

You are right - but most ballparks are not located 8 miles from another ballpark with a completely different surrounding area.
True, but also irrelevant. One park has nothing to do with the other. I'm sure the same could be said that while there are MLB parks in remote areas, there is a NFL, NBA or NHL stadium in the city near bars, etc.

Hitmen77
07-23-2010, 01:08 PM
:rolling:

This thread is hilarious. Leave it to Sox fans to complain when the team does something positive at the park.

"i'm going to complain about this because there's not enough bars one foot from the park, the neighborhood is not enough like Wrigley, the neighborhood is becoming too much like Wrigley, I would never live in Bridgeport, blah, blah, blah, blah"

Geez people, give it a rest with the constant complaining. The Sox are making an improvement that some fans might personally not use. OMG! It sucks and I'm going to bitch and moan about it!....and the Sox never said this was the last development ever around the Cell. So--->:chillpill:

If Brooks Boyer reads this site, I'd imagine that he has to be rolling his eyes. Hey Brooks, if you're reading this all I have to say is:
:welcome:. The griping is nothing new here.

God damn, will you quit your ****ing complaining? The Sox aren't struggling to make ends meet, they still have a top 10 payroll in baseball, and nowhere does it say that this is the end-all, be-all of their plans to reinvest in the surrounding neighborhood.

:clap:

doublem23
07-23-2010, 01:12 PM
True, but also irrelevant. One park has nothing to do with the other. I'm sure the same could be said that while there are MLB parks in remote areas, there is a NFL, NBA or NHL stadium in the city near bars, etc.

Well, yeah, they kind of do, they're marketing to the same group of people. Casual fans who want to go to a baseball game pick Wrigley 9 times out of 10 over the Cell (not a scientific number) and one major reason is the Wrigleyville atmosphere.

DumpJerry
07-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Well, yeah, they kind of do, they're marketing to the same group of people. Casual fans who want to go to a baseball game pick Wrigley 9 times out of 10 over the Cell (not a scientific number) and one major reason is the Wrigleyville atmosphere.
The Sox don't do much marketing to the tour bus companies in Des Moines as it is.

doublem23
07-23-2010, 01:22 PM
The Sox don't do much marketing to the tour bus companies in Des Moines as it is.

Even when you discount the fact that Wrigley is an out-of-town tourist destination, the Cubs draw way better amongst casual fans in the Chicagoland area, especially the young crowd (AKA the one more likely to spend money). You're living in an extreme state of denial if you don't want to believe that.

DumpJerry
07-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Even when you discount the fact that Wrigley is an out-of-town tourist destination, the Cubs draw way better amongst casual fans in the Chicagoland area, especially the young crowd (AKA the one more likely to spend money). You're living in an extreme state of denial if you don't want to believe that.
The Sox target families more than young adults in their marketing. Kinda hard to hit the bars with a 7 year old in tow. I agree with this strategy because a casual fan is just that, casual. S/he may come to a few games for a couple of years and then find some other entertainment source and move on. Get a little kid hooked on the team and there will be nothing casual about his/her devotion to the team through the years.

Bottom line: the Sox are not hurting financially despite the claims of some people on this site who seem to use the Yankees as the benchmark for the definition of "financial success."

doublem23
07-23-2010, 01:31 PM
The Sox target families more than young adults in their marketing. Kinda hard to hit the bars with a 7 year old in tow. I agree with this strategy because a casual fan is just that, casual. S/he may come to a few games for a couple of years and then find some other entertainment source and move on. Get a little kid hooked on the team and there will be nothing casual about his/her devotion to the team through the years.

Bottom line: the Sox are not hurting financially despite the claims of some people on this site who seem to use the Yankees as the benchmark for the definition of "financial success."

Well that certainly explains why the Cubs have outdrawn us for almost 20 years now, despite our much better on-field performance in that time.

DumpJerry
07-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Well that certainly explains why the Cubs have outdrawn us for almost 20 years now, despite our much better on-field performance in that time.
Kids are in school for four of the six months of the regular season. Drunk 20-somethings aren't.

doublem23
07-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Kids are in school for four of the six months of the regular season. Drunk 20-somethings aren't.

So what you're telling me is... we're marketing to the wrong crowd...

:thinking:

P.S., I'm not sure how long it's been since you've been to Wrigley, but I've been there to three games in the past 2 years (all free tickets, don't ask) and the Urinal always has a ****load of kids, too. It's possible to target these two groups simultaneously.

DumpJerry
07-23-2010, 01:50 PM

P.S., I'm not sure how long it's been since you've been to Wrigley, but I've been there to three games in the past 2 years (all free tickets, don't ask) and the Urinal always has a ****load of kids, too. It's possible to target these two groups simultaneously.
I've been to Wrigley three times in the past two years, too (none Sox games, all free tix). I would say the average age was in the 30's, did not see many families. My friend's seats are near home near the field, so we're not talking Bleachers or some other "kid unfriendly" area.

GoSox2K3
07-23-2010, 01:52 PM
No, you aren't the only one. Tailgating can be fun, but I could take that or leave it. The game is what matters here, and I'm sure the vast majority of the posters here feel the same.

I thought the only thing that mattered was the game.:scratch:

kittle42
07-23-2010, 02:30 PM

It matters when you are competing for the casual fan's dollar with a very nearby competitor.

kittle42
07-23-2010, 02:33 PM
I've been to Wrigley three times in the past two years, too (none Sox games, all free tix). I would say the average age was in the 30's, did not see many families. My friend's seats are near home near the field, so we're not talking Bleachers or some other "kid unfriendly" area.

Small sample size, dump. I live in Wrigleyville. LOTS of families at those games.

doub's point is right - your argument, while understandable, can essentially be morphed into "The Sox are marketing to the wrong crowd" because the Cubs continue to outdraw the Sox.

DumpJerry
07-23-2010, 02:33 PM
It matters when you are competing for the casual fan's dollar with a very nearby competitor.
Every time I'm at a Sox game (being a full season STH, I get to a ton of games), I am always surrounded by people who are at their first game at Comiskey. While my observations are not scientific, it seems the Sox are doing alright in attracting the "casual" fan.

kittle42
07-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Every time I'm at a Sox game (being a full season STH, I get to a ton of games), I am always surrounded by people who are at their first game at Comiskey. While my observations are not scientific, it seems the Sox are doing alright in attracting the "casual" fan.

That's fine. Then they need to attract 10,000+ more causal fans per game.

SoxandtheCityTee
07-23-2010, 02:48 PM

Or you're living Near South, and have for 20+ years. Though I don't deny your premise on the casual youth crowd, doub, I do disagree with your 90/10 proportion. A hugely increased number of young people with drink-disposable income live around here these days (for whatever incomprehensible-to-others reasons :tongue:) and go to Sox games as a casual thing. I see them. Cubs still out-drawing in this demo, but it's changing over time and IMO will continue to do so.

DumpJerry
07-23-2010, 02:49 PM
That's fine. Then they need to attract 10,000+ more causal fans per game.
I'd rather it be Sox fans. They show up more frequently.

If the Sox played 51 day games at home each year we could actually make a comparison as to who attracts more casual fans. Since that is not happening, it is apples and automobiles when comparing the two teams.

Of course, if the Sox played 51 home games each year, I would have to cancel my season tickets since I would not be able to make most of the games due to work.......

kittle42
07-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Or you're living Near South, and have for 20+ years. Though I don't deny your premise on the casual youth crowd, doub, I do disagree with your 90/10 proportion. A hugely increased number of young people with drink-disposable income live around here these days (for whatever incomprehensible-to-others reasons :tongue:) and go to Sox games as a casual thing. I see them. Cubs still out-drawing in this demo, but it's changing over time and IMO will continue to do so.

It would be nice if people started moving here and became regular attendees at Sox games. Up here near Wrigley, every damn out-of-town midwest transplant decides that it's fun to be a "Cubbie fan."

Hartman
07-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Wrigley is a completely different animal. It's not about baseball, it's about a "lifestyle" which makes it "cool" to go to a Cubs game, regardless of how the team performs. Which is why the place is filled with people who don't have the slightest clue whats going on in the field. The Cubs don't have to do any marketing.

kittle42
07-23-2010, 02:52 PM
If the Sox played 51 day games at home each year we could actually make a comparison as to who attracts more casual fans. Since that is not happening, it is apples and automobiles when comparing the two teams.

Actually, the fact that the Cubs can draw that many people while having 51 day games is even more a testament to their drawing power and marketing ability.

If the Sox had 51 day games, the attendance figures would be cringe-worthy.

doublem23
07-23-2010, 02:59 PM
I'd rather it be Sox fans. They show up more frequently.

No, they don't, and they haven't for 20 years. It's not a stadium capacity thing, it's not a ticket prices thing, the Cubs "poor marketing approach" simply bests us, DESPITE THE FACT, we have had more success on the field.

Wrigley is a completely different animal. It's not about baseball, it's about a "lifestyle" which makes it "cool" to go to a Cubs game, regardless of how the team performs. Which is why the place is filled with people who don't have the slightest clue whats going on in the field. The Cubs don't have to do any marketing.

The Cubs market the hell out of that. I'm not saying I want the Cell to turn into Wrigley South, but there has to be a happy medium where we can somehow cater to young folks who want to have fun and families. Why the two are mutually exclusive, I have no idea, but (and I know this is not the Sox strategy) it is a terrible idea on just trying to draw in lame-ass 30-somethings and their ugly babies.

kittle42
07-23-2010, 03:08 PM

I'd venture to say they have the same number of people at a game who care about what's going on as the Sox do - same number, not same %, mind you.

As for the drooling masses, hey, I'll take their money at the Cell any day if it helps my favorite team's bottom line.

This is why places like St. Louis are fun to go to for baseball. Not only is there a "lifestyle," but man do those ****ers get pissed when the Cards lose. "Baseball Village" is like a ghost town afterward.

kittle42
07-23-2010, 03:09 PM
it is a terrible idea on just trying to draw in lame-ass 30-somethings and their ugly babies.

Ha ha ha ha!!!

SoxandtheCityTee
07-23-2010, 03:10 PM
It would be nice if people started moving here and became regular attendees at Sox games. Up here near Wrigley, every damn out-of-town midwest transplant decides that it's fun to be a "Cubbie fan."

Oh, there are real fans here too, plenty of them. I was just talking the casual crowd because of the Wrigley comparison.

In this hood, many of the newly-arrived, just-graduated-from-a-Big-Ten school-and-moved-here are choosing the Sox. I hope those numbers will increase when the economy improves and more new grads can actually get jobs and move here from wherever they are hanging out now. Tiny sample size, but the crowd in my college-age niece and nephew brigade, including their plus ones and friends, are overwhelmingly Sox fans. And that includes those raised in NW side, NW burbs, you name it.

I get what you mean about Wrigleyville though -- might be a hopeless case there. But I'd argue that cause and effect are sometimes reversed. My friend's recent-grad nephew chose that nieghborhood precisely because he was already a Cubs fan. So no loss there!

kittle42
07-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Oh, there are real fans here too, plenty of them. I was just talking the casual crowd because of the Wrigley comparison.

In this hood, many of the newly-arrived, just-graduated-from-a-Big-Ten school-and-moved-here are choosing the Sox. I hope those numbers will increase when the economy improves and more new grads can actually get jobs amd move here from wherever they are hanging out now. Tiny sample size, but the crowd in my college-age niece and nephew brigade, including their plus ones and friends, are overwhelmingly Sox fans. And that includes those raised in NW side, NW burbs, you name it.

I get what you mean about Wrigleyville though -- might be a hopeless case there. But I'd argue that cause and effect are sometimes reversed. My friend's recent-grad nephew chose that nieghborhood precisely because he was already a Cubs fan. So no loss there!

Good to hear re: the South Loop.

Oh, and for every 10 or so people I meet who decided to become Cubs fans after moving here, I get the 1 person I love talking to who says something like this: "Man, I never hated the Cubs until I started living here!"

Now those people know what they're talking about!

Jerko
07-23-2010, 03:13 PM
They really don't say a lot in that release.

Is this open during the game? Or just before and after?

If it IS open during the game, are beer sales cut off after the 7th like inside the park?

If it is NOT open during the game, do they sell beer during the hour it's open after the game?

Can people with no game ticket just sit out there and drink for 6 hours?

If beer is cut off inside after the 7th but not outside, will there be a mass-exodus for the beer garden from the "casual" fan? That would make it hard to meet someone there after the game.

NOTE: I do drink at games and have nothing against this.

doublem23
07-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Good to hear re: the South Loop.

Oh, and for every 10 or so people I meet who decided to become Cubs fans after moving here, I get the 1 person I love talking to who says something like this: "Man, I never hated the Cubs until I started living here!"

Now those people know what they're talking about!

That's good people.

A friend of mine from college who grew up in a small town in Northwest Illinois moved to the city a couple of years ago. She never really liked baseball, and still doesn't now, but after living on the North Side and dealing the Blue Faithful for a few years, she does hate those Cubs.

ewokpelts
07-23-2010, 03:15 PM
I don't mind new bars or what not going up in the hood or near the park. What I do think is a bad idea is having unticketed people roaming around/driving to the parking lots if they are not attending the game. I can also see tailgaters starting **** when they are told they have to go into the park when the game starts while people in the beer garden don't. And we are all assuming that ALL the people that will show up here are interested in baseball. I can see a batch of thugs just hanging out there trying to rip off people going to and leaving the game. But I'm cynical that way. Hope it works out well but I wouldn't be surprised if they had to tweak the rules as we go forward.cubs have the same policy at the captian morganclub. they seem to have no problems.

sides, who's stupid enough to pay $23 to park just to sit in a beer garden?

Parrothead
07-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Isn't it *slightly* ironic to agree with the "to each their own" comment and then rag on someone for enjoying Printer's Row? I mean, I'd rather splatter my brains on the wall than live in the SW suburbs, but I understand why it appeals to others.

This is the wonderful thing about Chicago, there's living environments for all different types of people. If you want to live in a quite subdivision, there's places like that. If you want to live in an attractive, walkable urban environment, that exists, too. Back when I lived in Peoria, IL there was basically nothing; you could choose to live in rundown, crime-infested wasteland, disgusting urban sprawl, or on a farm in the middle of ****ing nowhere. There was, maybe, 1 square mile of a liveable urban setting.

:thumbsup:

ewokpelts
07-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Biggest mistake about this park was building the bullpen bar and stadium club on the RF corner insread of the LF corner where access to a major avenue was available.bullpen bar was a later addition.

stadium club is meant for game day use primarily. it's not a sports bar.

SephClone89
07-23-2010, 03:19 PM
I'd venture to say they have the same number of people at a game who care about what's going on as the Sox do - same number, not same %, mind you.

I'm sick of the delusions our fanbase has of the Cell being some stronghold of baseball knowledge, with everyone waiting on every pitch and everyone "being all about the game."

There is almost no park in baseball like that.

ewokpelts
07-23-2010, 03:20 PM
it can seem like that.

i care about the performance of the club, but I also know stuff like this helps the club compete financially

SoxandtheCityTee
07-23-2010, 03:21 PM
A friend of mine from college who grew up in a small town in Northwest Illinois moved to the city a couple of years ago. She never really liked baseball, and still doesn't now, but after living on the North Side and dealing the Blue Faithful for a few years, she does hate those Cubs.

:rolling: Who can blame her?

mrfourni
07-23-2010, 03:21 PM
They really don't say a lot in that release.

Is this open during the game? Or just before and after?

If it IS open during the game, are beer sales cut off after the 7th like inside the park?

If it is NOT open during the game, do they sell beer during the hour it's open after the game?

Can people with no game ticket just sit out there and drink for 6 hours?

If beer is cut off inside after the 7th but not outside, will there be a mass-exodus for the beer garden from the "casual" fan? That would make it hard to meet someone there after the game.

NOTE: I do drink at games and have nothing against this.

I assume as far as beer sales go, it will be just like the BPSB. You will be able to buy drinks for as long as it is open. You probably won't be able to bring beer back into the park after the 7th inning.

My question for those who might know, will they allow smoking there?

ewokpelts
07-23-2010, 03:24 PM
For serious, I don't even like driving to Sox games. Anyone who drives to Cubs games is out of their damn mind.if you get a parking pass, it's ok.

kittle42
07-23-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm sick of the delusions our fanbase has of the Cell being some stronghold of baseball knowledge, with everyone waiting on every pitch and everyone "being all about the game."

There is almost no park in baseball like that.

What's funny is I bet every fanbase thinks their fans are just like that, and that they are the only ones in baseball like that.

It is true - walk around the Cell sometimes, kids - plenty of folks getting hammered and not caring much at all.

ewokpelts
07-23-2010, 03:31 PM
I assume as far as beer sales go, it will be just like the BPSB. You will be able to buy drinks for as long as it is open. You probably won't be able to bring beer back into the park after the 7th inning.

My question for those who might know, will they allow smoking there?why? when there's the smoker's dungeon 500 feet away?

GoGoCrede
07-23-2010, 03:34 PM
That's good people.

Sounds similar to my story. I never followed baseball till college. My freshman year roommate (now one of my best friends) grew up a Sox fan. One time, my university was selling $5 Cubs tickets and I asked her if she wanted to go. She made a face and told me that she was going to make me a Sox fan. And that's what she did. I've never looked back.

I know my story isn't all that common, because for every new college kid like me who adopted the Sox, there are at least 10 casual fans who adopt the Cubs because of the neighborhood and sheer novelty of it.

Thank God I'm a Sox fan. It could just as easily have gone the other way. Shudder.

Jerko
07-23-2010, 03:38 PM
What's funny is I bet every fanbase thinks their fans are just like that, and that they are the only ones in baseball like that.

It is true - walk around the Cell sometimes, kids - plenty of folks getting hammered and not caring much at all.

Kittle is right. Go to a Saturday game or a crowded game, and by the 5th inning walk the concourse. 3/4 of the people won't even be facing the field.

kittle42
07-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Kittle is right. Go to a Saturday game or a crowded game, and by the 5th inning walk the concourse. 3/4 of the people won't even be facing the field.

That concourse can get to be a meat market.

skobabe8
07-23-2010, 05:33 PM
From the picture, it looks like the entrance to the Gate 5 retail area is right in the middle of this design.

My question is, would they incorporate that indoor space with the beer garden? Are there bathrooms inside? If you allow people inside, would it only be ticketholders? Can Smoque set up shop inside so I can enjoy their delicious slow cooked meat, so as not to restrict it to only people with a 300 level ticket? I guess that was more than one question.

Brian26
07-23-2010, 08:48 PM

Doub, you're way off here. Way off. The demographics at Wrigley Field have changed drastically over the past 25 years. Cubs night games are not designed to target a "kid-friendly" crowd.

Brian26
07-23-2010, 08:54 PM

Nice.

Brian26
07-23-2010, 10:15 PM
Could it be because there are more people in it now? My friends I and went to it quite a bit in 2000/2001 when there were maybe 16K at the ballpark. It wasn't crowed at all. The last few times I've gone, it's wall to wall of people. This was even in 2000 during a Bears/Packers game. We got a seat with no issues.

I remember going in '96 when they first opened it, and Wills and Melton would do postgame shows from there. Players would come over for interviews after they showered up after the game. They would keep it open for a couple of hours after the game.

SephClone89
07-23-2010, 10:27 PM
Nice.

Yeah, what the hell does that even mean?

Brian26
07-23-2010, 10:41 PM
The Cubs market the hell out of that. I'm not saying I want the Cell to turn into Wrigley South, but there has to be a happy medium where we can somehow cater to young folks who want to have fun and families. Why the two are mutually exclusive, I have no idea, but (and I know this is not the Sox strategy) it is a terrible idea on just trying to draw in lame-ass 30-somethings and their ugly babies.

9 times out of 10, even with ugly kids and underwater mortgages, that demographic has more money to blow on baseball than the 20-something Gen-Y wannabe city dwellers.

I'm glad you're not in marketing.

doublem23
07-24-2010, 01:08 AM
9 times out of 10, even with ugly kids and underwater mortgages, that demographic has more money to blow on baseball than the 20-something Gen-Y wannabe city dwellers.

I'm glad you're not in marketing.

I'm not the one arguing to hone in SOLELY on one population demographic and apparently ignoring all others.

That's probably if you're looking at that 20-something demographic alone, but if you're looking at the group within that group that's going to baseball games, I think it evens out a lot more. AND EVEN IF THAT'S NOT THE CASE, we're about to enter the 3rd decade that the Cubs outdraw us, OBVIOUSLY, they're doing something right that we're not.

I cannot believe how difficult this concept is to grasp. I hate the Cubs as much as anyone, but they've obviously figured something out that we haven't. The consensus of the dissent seems to be that the Cubs are making a mistake marketing their park as a fun-time for young adults, when the Sox are wisely marketing to families. And yet here we are, routinely being the #2 draw in town for most of my life.

RIDDLE ME THAT

roylestillman
07-24-2010, 09:06 AM
I'm not the one arguing to hone in SOLELY on one population demographic and apparently ignoring all others.

That's probably if you're looking at that 20-something demographic alone, but if you're looking at the group within that group that's going to baseball games, I think it evens out a lot more. AND EVEN IF THAT'S NOT THE CASE, we're about to enter the 3rd decade that the Cubs outdraw us, OBVIOUSLY, they're doing something right that we're not.

I cannot believe how difficult this concept is to grasp. I hate the Cubs as much as anyone, but they've obviously figured something out that we haven't. The consensus of the dissent seems to be that the Cubs are making a mistake marketing their park as a fun-time for young adults, when the Sox are wisely marketing to families. And yet here we are, routinely being the #2 draw in town for most of my life.

RIDDLE ME THAT

You are right on the money, (although this is wandering into attendance thread territory)

The problem is the financial decision that faces the family going to the park. Parking, tickets and even minimal concessions are going to run a family of four about $250 for a night out. Watching Netflix and ordering a pizza gets a little more appealing. The single 20something is taking the El paying a steep cover charge and not paying a heck of a lot more for a beer than at a north side watering hole.

Trust me, I love the fans at our park better than up north, but for a family, going to the park is a once or twice a year special event. For guy with his first big paycheck out of college sharing an apartment with three other buddies, they are going a dozen or more times a year. The Cubs are simply targeting the demographic with more discretionary income.

fox23
07-24-2010, 11:43 AM
You are right on the money, (although this is wandering into attendance thread territory)

The problem is the financial decision that faces the family going to the park. Parking, tickets and even minimal concessions are going to run a family of four about $250 for a night out. Watching Netflix and ordering a pizza gets a little more appealing. The single 20something is taking the El paying a steep cover charge and not paying a heck of a lot more for a beer than at a north side watering hole.

Trust me, I love the fans at our park better than up north, but for a family, going to the park is a once or twice a year special event. For guy with his first big paycheck out of college sharing an apartment with three other buddies, they are going a dozen or more times a year. The Cubs are simply targeting the demographic with more discretionary income.

Agree 100%. I also find in my experiences that my single or newly married 20 something friends are far more likely to want to just get up and go to a game on a whim and also follow their team closely. Most of my 30+ year old friends are putting their priorities on other aspects of their lives.

cub killer
07-24-2010, 01:42 PM
T
Who comprises this "element" that you speak of?

kittle42
07-24-2010, 01:48 PM

I think we all know. Nice use of an embarrassing term I used to hear my grandmother use, chisoxfanatic!

DumpJerry
07-25-2010, 01:28 PM

Nice.

I think we all know. Nice use of an embarrassing term I used to hear my grandmother use, chisoxfanatic!
Come on, the element she is referring to is Hydrogen. It is the lightest element on the Periodic Table of Elements. Being a White Sox fan (a fanatic one, no less!), CSF knows that Sox fans go for more substance than mere Hydrogen with its single electron and proton.

Either that, or she is talking about the South Loop Yuppies who cram themselves into the store to get their Belgian Endive. Whenever I stop there on my way to a game, those darn Yuppies get in my way.:angry:

cub killer
07-26-2010, 12:34 AM
Either that, or she is talking about the South Loop Yuppies who cram themselves into the store to get their Belgian Endive. Whenever I stop there on my way to a game, those darn Yuppies get in my way.:angry:
Ah, I wish she would have clarified. For a second there, I thought she was being racist and it was kinda disappointing to see that.

Milw
07-26-2010, 10:40 AM
Why does it have to be an either/or?

IlliniSox05
07-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Has anybody been to the cork and kerry yet? I am curious how it is. Never been to one.

I've been there several times, both for dinner and for postgame drinks. The food menu is rather limited, but good nonetheless. Definitely one of the better burgers I've had lately.

After a game, it is crowded inside but still manageable. Prices are about what you'd expect....$5 for an aluminum bottle of miller lite. It's a small bar, but they make room by pushing all the tables into one corner.

As someone who lives 2 blocks away, I can tell you that it's really nice to have this kind of option in the neighborhood. Just a HUGE improvement over Jimbo's!

Looking forward to seeing what Turtle's has to offer.

UofCSoxFan
07-26-2010, 10:46 PM

Haven't you heard....walking 4 blocks in Bridgeport is about as safe as walking 5 miles in Beirut.

hawkjt
07-26-2010, 11:22 PM
Anybody stop in at TBD's tonite?
Looked ok on TV...lots of televisions,but did not look like many people in there pre-game...first nite,nobody knew it was there, I am sure.

roylestillman
07-27-2010, 12:11 AM
Anybody stop in at TBD's tonite?
Looked ok on TV...lots of televisions,but did not look like many people in there pre-game...first nite,nobody knew it was there, I am sure.

Stopped in before and after the game. Three stars. Very hassle free, short lines to get beverages. All prices are the same as in the park. Probably about 2 dozens round tables with chairs and another couple of dozen high tops with a large open area for just standing around. Funny part were these large elaborate tents with permanent looking doors marked Men and Women. After going through the doors you found four porta potties. Also no food whatsoever. Nice part is that it has its own entrance to the park, which was pretty cool given the huge crowd tonight.

After the game it was still open. Not too bad on the bum's rush - maybe 45 minutes before the white shirts started to tell you to leave.

It is what it is, which is a great place to meet up with people to hand off tickets like we were doing tonight ( we were coming from the southside another guy from out west another from work downtown.) Hope it does well, without getting too crowded.

russ99
07-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Stopped in before and after the game. Three stars. Very hassle free, short lines to get beverages. All prices are the same as in the park. Probably about 2 dozens round tables with chairs and another couple of dozen high tops with a large open area for just standing around. Funny part were these large elaborate tents with permanent looking doors marked Men and Women. After going through the doors you found four porta potties. Also no food whatsoever. Nice part is that it has its own entrance to the park, which was pretty cool given the huge crowd tonight.

After the game it was still open. Not too bad on the bum's rush - maybe 45 minutes before the white shirts started to tell you to leave.

It is what it is, which is a great place to meet up with people to hand off tickets like we were doing tonight ( we were coming from the southside another guy from out west another from work downtown.) Hope it does well, without getting too crowded.

Met my group there last night, and I gotta give it 2 thumbs up. Beer's the same price as inside the park.

Also, at the back sides of the beer garden is a super-easy entry into the park without waiting in line.

Do you guys know what was inside the building? We didn't get a chance to go in there.

LoveYourSuit
07-27-2010, 09:54 AM

$7 for an MGD :o:

You must be crazy!

No thanks.

I come to realize that any White Sox run establishment will have these kind of prices. So it doesn't matter if they build something bigger outside as I have been suggesting.

mantis1212
07-27-2010, 10:02 AM
I went there last night, it's a plus. A couple of beer stands, and few TVs, porto-potties. A good place to kill a few minutes waiting for somebody.

You can see a lot of temporary aspects to it- I imagine they'll build it up a bit over time.

fox23
07-27-2010, 10:47 AM

You must be crazy!

No thanks.

I come to realize that any White Sox run establishment will have these kind of prices. So it doesn't matter if they build something bigger outside as I have been suggesting.

Well yeah. Why would they undercut themselves?

roylestillman
07-27-2010, 11:05 AM
Met my group there last night, and I gotta give it 2 thumbs up. Beer's the same price as inside the park.

Also, at the back sides of the beer garden is a super-easy entry into the park without waiting in line.

Do you guys know what was inside the building? We didn't get a chance to go in there.

It looked like just raw space and quite a bit of it. At he end of the night they were mpving all of the table and chairs into it.

kittle42
07-27-2010, 11:49 AM

You must be crazy!

No thanks.

As they should.