PDA

View Full Version : I don't get it..

Paulwny
07-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Am I missing something?
Jones makes a great catch and doubles off the runner at first.
The winning run was at 2nd, there was no need for the 1st base runner to be off and running. If Jones doesn't catch the ball the winning run goes to 3rd or scores ending the game.

soltrain21
07-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Yes. The runner messed up big time.

TDog
07-22-2010, 03:40 PM
I was wondering the same thing until I watched the replay. Obviously Bradley screwed up, but he was caught in a bad position because if Jones fields the ball on one hop, there is a possible force at second.

Of course, if you have your head in the game, getting forced at second at worst gives you runners at first and third with two outs. If there had been runners on first and third with one out. Bradley needs to be standing on the base until the ball drops. (Of course he needs to make sure the hitter doesn't pass him rounding the base (that happened with Pablo Sandoval in a Giants game this season, apparently for the first time since it happened in a one-run loss by the 1977 White Sox).

Also, on that play, if Figgins had crossed the plate before the out was recorded at first, the run would have counted unless the Sox had thrown to second for the fourth out. But in a game ending situation, the only way Figgins run would have counted would have been if somehow thrown the ball in the stands before they could get the out at second. With Bradley playing for the other team, that would have been unlikely.

Zakath
07-22-2010, 03:57 PM
I was wondering the same thing until I watched the replay. Obviously Bradley screwed up, but he was caught in a bad position because if Jones fields the ball on one hop, there is a possible force at second.

Of course, if you have your head in the game, getting forced at second at worst gives you runners at first and third with two outs. If there had been runners on first and third with one out. Bradley needs to be standing on the base until the ball drops. (Of course he needs to make sure the hitter doesn't pass him rounding the base (that happened with Pablo Sandoval in a Giants game this season, apparently for the first time since it happened in a one-run loss by the 1977 White Sox).

Also, on that play, if Figgins had crossed the plate before the out was recorded at first, the run would have counted unless the Sox had thrown to second for the fourth out. But in a game ending situation, the only way Figgins run would have counted would have been if somehow thrown the ball in the stands before they could get the out at second. With Bradley playing for the other team, that would have been unlikely.

Bradley was the hitter on the play, not the baserunner. Lopez was on first and got doubled off.

Paulwny
07-22-2010, 04:02 PM

I also thought about the force at 2nd. However, Jones was on the ground, he'd have to get up to be able to make a throw to 2nd. If the runner on 1st would have gone half way he's probably save at 2nd.
I'm not so sure that Jones, if he doesn't make the catch, would throw to 2nd. I think he'd be more concerned with the runner who went to 3rd trying to score when he sees a throw going to 2nd.

tstrike2000
07-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Am I missing something?
Jones makes a great catch and doubles off the runner at first.
The winning run was at 2nd, there was no need for the 1st base runner to be off and running. If Jones doesn't catch the ball the winning run goes to 3rd or scores ending the game.

Runner at first had a major brain cramp.

DumpJerry
07-22-2010, 04:06 PM
Now you know why the Mariner's are in last place. Podsednik-style base running.

TDog
07-22-2010, 05:23 PM
Bradley was the hitter on the play, not the baserunner. Lopez was on first and got doubled off.

I was watching Comcast Sports-Bay Area for the replay and the replay host said it was Bradley who was doubled off, which apparently confused me. No excuse. One should always watch televised baseball with the sound muted (unless Vin Scully or Jon Miller is talking.) My apologies.

TDog
07-22-2010, 05:26 PM
I also thought about the force at 2nd. However, Jones was on the ground, he'd have to get up to be able to make a throw to 2nd. If the runner on 1st would have gone half way he's probably save at 2nd.
I'm not so sure that Jones, if he doesn't make the catch, would throw to 2nd. I think he'd be more concerned with the runner who went to 3rd trying to score when he sees a throw going to 2nd.

As I said, the runner screwed up and didn't have his head in the game. But when you're running from first on a ball that might be caught or fielded on one hop in short right, you can only control not getting forced at second and getting back to first if the ball is caught.

pudge
07-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Seeing it live, I thought the same thing. You just go about half way and react. Don't know what he was thinking. The absolute worst base running play was the guy getting caught in the pickle after his single to RF. I have not seen a worse base running play in a long, long time.

slavko
07-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Seeing it live, I thought the same thing. You just go about half way and react. Don't know what he was thinking. The absolute worst base running play was the guy getting caught in the pickle after his single to RF. I have not seen a worse base running play in a long, long time.

The pickle itself was no bargain either as rundowns go. Let's say on the Jones catch (which almost makes you forget that he can't advance a runner to save his life) the runner has gone halfway. It was hard to tell if the ball was caught or trapped, what would YOU do? Watching the umpire's sign may not give you enough time to get to the right base.

Paulwny
07-22-2010, 09:48 PM
The pickle itself was no bargain either as rundowns go. Let's say on the Jones catch (which almost makes you forget that he can't advance a runner to save his life) the runner has gone halfway. It was hard to tell if the ball was caught or trapped, what would YOU do? Watching the umpire's sign may not give you enough time to get to the right base.

You play it safe and go half way. Being late to 2nd base still keeps the inning alive, being late to 1st base, double play, inning over.