PDA

View Full Version : Joakim Soria

Rockabilly
07-22-2010, 12:41 PM
I was listening to sports radio here in San Fran. The host was talking about the MLB rumors.

He said that the Sox should go after Soria instead of going for a starting pitcher or hitter. That way Hudson could developed into the rotation for next year and we can cut the games down to 5-6 innings because of our solid pen.

Anyone like this idea?

Craig Grebeck
07-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Stupid idea is stupid.

LoveYourSuit
07-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Stupid idea is stupid.

Insightful as usual Grebeck :rolleyes:

Anyway, back to the topic.

I would like another releif pitcher, but I feel the needs are stronger at the plate.

And do these people think KC would just hand off Soria for nothing? I beleive the dicussion would start with Hudson and others.

No thanks.

TheCQExperience
07-22-2010, 12:47 PM
I've been saying this since Soria came into the league... "that kid is destined to be Mariano's replacement." Soria is completely awesome, but I don't think we have anywhere near the top prospects to get him from a division rival especially if we are bidding with the Yankees.

Craig Grebeck
07-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Insightful as usual Grebeck :rolleyes:

Anyway, back to the topic.

I would like another releif pitcher, but I feel the needs are stronger at the plate.

And do these people think KC would just hand off Soria for nothing? I beleive the dicussion would start with Hudson and others.

No thanks.
Wah wah wah. I'm stating a fact. It's a stupid idea. Anytime someone goes down or ****s up Rockabilly rolls in to suggest something he happened to hear on SF talk radio (sources need not be named, of course) that involves a top-of-the-line player and the White Sox. It's just the way he rolls.

LoveYourSuit
07-22-2010, 12:51 PM
I've been saying this since Soria came into the league... "that kid is destined to be Mariano's replacement." Soria is completely awesome, but I don't think we have anywhere near the top prospects to get him from a division rival especially if we are bidding with the Yankees.

I am not impressed with Soria. He is good, but he looks very hittable to me. I think he will flame out in 2 years. Just my thought.

LoveYourSuit
07-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Wah wah wah. I'm stating a fact. It's a stupid idea. Anytime someone goes down or ****s up Rockabilly rolls in to suggest something he happened to hear on SF talk radio (sources need not be named, of course) that involves a top-of-the-line player and the White Sox. It's just the way he rolls.

The idea about getting another relief pitcher is not stupid.

But I agree about the constant rumors people bring up here that have no source.

We'll agree to that.

Besides, it's not like KC is going to give away Soria for a bag of balls.

Craig Grebeck
07-22-2010, 12:53 PM

We'll agree to that.

Precisely. They will not and should not. If we're looking for relief help, it'll be patchwork guys -- not Joakim Soria.

KMcMahon817
07-22-2010, 01:03 PM
I am not impressed with Soria. He is good, but he looks very hittable to me. I think he will flame out in 2 years. Just my thought.

He really doesn't get that many opportunities to shine, so I wouldn't be that surprised if you're right.

Rockabilly
07-22-2010, 01:04 PM

I believe you said the same **** about my Prince Fielder thread a few weeks back about NO sources and just yesterday Buster Olney and Rosenthal said the Sox are going hard after Fielder.

I said it was a idea that he had not that its going to ****ing happened.

Pablo_Honey
07-22-2010, 01:04 PM
He said that the Sox should go after Soria instead of going for a starting pitcher or hitter. That way Hudson could developed into the rotation for next year and we can cut the games down to 5-6 innings because of our solid pen.
Joakim Soria and Dan Hudson cannot co-exist on this team at the same time. If there existed a sports radio show host who would think it's possible for the Sox to acquire Soria without giving up Hudson, he's delusional. If he exists at all.

Rockabilly
07-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Joakim Soria and Dan Hudson cannot co-exist on this team at the same time. If there existed a sports radio show host who would think it's possible for the Sox to acquire Soria without giving up Hudson, he's delusional. If he exists at all.

He said that the package would involved around Viciedo & Santos. That way KC could have their closer of the future.

samurai_sox
07-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Would love to see Soria on the Sox but now way KC trades him to a division rival. Soria has one of my favorite nicknames in baseball,

The Mexicutioner.

Rockabilly
07-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Would love to see Soria on the Sox but now way KC trades him to a division rival. Soria has one of my favorite nicknames in baseball,

The Mexicutioner.

It looks like Houston might be trading Oswalt to the Cards, so trades within a division do happen

spawn
07-22-2010, 01:56 PM
I was listening to sports radio here in San Fran. The host was talking about the MLB rumors.

Anyone like this idea?

Is there anyone you don't want the Sox to go after?

Pablo_Honey
07-22-2010, 02:16 PM
He said that the package would involved around Viciedo & Santos. That way KC could have their closer of the future.
Well, Viciedo's bat looks promising but his plate discipline and defenisve limitations hurt his value. He's a personal favourite of mine so I'm biased but I'd rather not see him get dealt. As for Santos, I doubt any team would consider him to be a centerpiece of any trade. Don't get me wrong, he's been fantastic for us but he's in no way guaranteed to be a good closer. The Royals will ask for Hudson if we want Soria because they still could use a lot more pitching depth in the farm.

Foulke You
07-22-2010, 03:07 PM
It looks like Houston might be trading Oswalt to the Cards, so trades within a division do happen
That they do. Cliff Lee was just traded from the Mariners to the Rangers and that was an AL West inter-division trade.

Zisk77
07-22-2010, 03:11 PM

So why would we do it? Santos is younger and cheaper and will be for some time. If Jenks scares you their still is Thornton and Putz on the staff. Why would Soria be a good idea. If we are going to give up our limited prospects lets fill a hole or two.

Craig Grebeck
07-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Of course those trades happen. Impending free agents like Lee and guys in the twilight of their primes like Oswalt will get dealt within the division. Maybe Soria would too, if the Sox had the ammunition.

Guys like Shin Soo Choo? No, those guys are generally not traded within the division.

TDog
07-22-2010, 07:05 PM

We'll agree to that.

This isn't even a rumor. Like a lot of things in this forum, it's one Sox fan (I'm guessing it was the SF sportstalk host who is a Sox fan, as no one else seems to talk about the Sox, who suggested this) saying something he believes should happen. Yesterday while I was in my car, he was talking, in the context of the Giants getting a hitter from KC, about how the Royals get fleeced whenever they make a deal.

This Soria thing isn't coming from a baseball insider.

Bullpen help wouldn't hurt, though. I don't know that it would be considered the most pressing White Sox need. But it may be the bullpen that decides the division. Every contender could use some bullpen help, the White Sox less than the Twins and the Tigers. The Rays blew two saves in one game in an extra-inning loss to the Orioles this week.

guillen4life13
07-22-2010, 07:57 PM

Main Entry: opin·ion
Pronunciation: \ə-ˈpin-yən\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin opinion-, opinio, from opinari
Date: 14th century
1 a : a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter b : approval (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/approval), esteem (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/esteem)
2 a : belief stronger than impression and less strong than positive knowledge b : a generally held view
3 a : a formal expression of judgment or advice by an expert b : the formal expression (as by a judge, court, or referee) of the legal reasons and principles upon which a legal decision is based

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/opinion

EMel9281
07-22-2010, 09:04 PM

Anyone like this idea?

Again, another hair-brained trade idea...

No thanks, why would the Royals give him up, especially to an interdivision rival?

kittle42
07-22-2010, 09:09 PM
Moral of this thread: stop listening to sports radio in SF.

Frater Perdurabo
07-22-2010, 09:13 PM

Listening to sports radio would not be among the things I would do if I had the privilege of being in San Francisco.

Slappy
07-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Absolutely no reason to go after Soria. We have 3 or 4 guys that can close and do a fine job of it on the team as it is.

Go get Greinke somehow. Sheesh.

mjmcend
07-23-2010, 01:16 AM

Drop the "in SF" and you are on to something.