PDA

View Full Version : Perfect fit for the Sox

Rockabilly
07-22-2010, 10:06 AM
This guy will becoming back this week after being out most of the year. He would be a great lead off hitter for the next few years. My idea is to move Beckham back to 3rd base if we got Brian Roberts..

According to the Orioles MGMT they're willing to trade anyone on their roster. I'm not sure what it would take to get Roberts..

If we made this trade and sign Konerko to extension our infield would be set for the next few seasons.

My line up would look like this

1 Roberts 2B
2 Vizquel DH
3 Rios CF
4 Konerko 1B
5 Quentin RF
6 AJ C
7 Alexei SS
8 Beckham 3B
9 Pierre LF

Roberts would add so much more speed to this lineup and we can rest Omar with him being 43 years old. I want him fully healthy for the post season.

hawkjt
07-22-2010, 10:11 AM
What was his injury?
Kind of a gamble that he will be ready to contribute after sitting so long.
Hate to move Gordo.
Not ruling it out,but he would have to come pretty cheap.

Rockabilly
07-22-2010, 10:14 AM
What was his injury?
Kind of a gamble that he will be ready to contribute after sitting so long.
Hate to move Gordo.
Not ruling it out,but he would have to come pretty cheap.

Strained abdominal muscle. We need someone to play 3rd for the next few seasons. I would also hate to move Beckham back to 3rd base but I think Roberts could add so much to the Sox for the next 3 and half years.

KW is always looking to make a trade for someone who can help us for a few seasons. Like he did last year with Peavy and Rios.

Domeshot17
07-22-2010, 10:19 AM
In this case why wouldn't we DH beckham or roberts? It just makes zero sense to me to have the best defender of the 3 DH.

I don't really like this, I don't see how it helps us really score more runs. I mean yes, it helps the top of the lineup not be as weak, but you are still hitting Omar 2. If anything I would go Pierre 1 Roberts 2

Rockabilly
07-22-2010, 10:22 AM
In this case why wouldn't we DH beckham or roberts? It just makes zero sense to me to have the best defender of the 3 DH.

I don't really like this, I don't see how it helps us really score more runs. I mean yes, it helps the top of the lineup not be as weak, but you are still hitting Omar 2. If anything I would go Pierre 1 Roberts 2

My way would have Omar rotating between DH and playing the field. Just so we can save his legs for the post season.

eriqjaffe
07-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Any trade that provides more time at DH for Omar Vizquel is seriously misguided.

doublem23
07-22-2010, 10:30 AM
Brian Roberts sucks ass

Rockabilly
07-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Brian Roberts sucks ass

I don't think someone that avgs about 180 hits a season and 35 SB's also with a batting avg around 290 and high OBP sucks ass.

doublem23
07-22-2010, 10:41 AM
I don't think someone that avgs about 180 hits a season and 35 SB's also with a batting avg around 290 and high OBP sucks ass.

He's a suspected former steroid user whose career had been largely unremarkable until a sudden, upswing in 2005. Now he's 32 and has a bad back.

Pass. We don't need middle infielders.

Rockabilly
07-22-2010, 10:49 AM
He's a suspected former steroid user whose career had been largely unremarkable until a sudden, upswing in 2005. Now he's 32 and has a bad back.

We need infield help for next season. Who do you have playing 3rd base next season?

Unless you're willing to give up Beckham for Fielder or Dunn. The Sox need to get a another bat in this lineup. I believe we can get Roberts for cheap and with the O's paying some of his salary.

Rockabilly
07-22-2010, 11:00 AM

His 2004 stats were also pretty damn good.

eriqjaffe
07-22-2010, 11:01 AM
We need infield help for next season. Who do you have playing 3rd base next season?Viciedo?

Jpgr91
07-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Strained abdominal muscle. We need someone to play 3rd for the next few seasons. I would also hate to move Beckham back to 3rd base but I think Roberts could add so much to the Sox for the next 3 and half years.

KW is always looking to make a trade for someone who can help us for a few seasons. Like he did last year with Peavy and Rios.

He had a back injury. He injured it when attempting a steal. He has not played a game since early April. He has yet to attempt a steal in rehab. He is way too risky.

Rockabilly
07-22-2010, 11:03 AM
Viciedo?

Are you ready for a lot of errors? He should never play 3rd base

Rockabilly
07-22-2010, 11:05 AM
He had a back injury. He injured it when attempting a steal. He has not played a game since early April. He has yet to attempt a steal in rehab. He is way too risky.

your right it is a risky move but IF it comes cheap. I'd be willing to do it.

Chez
07-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Does Brian Roberts Version 2010 = Robbie Alomar Version 2003?

soltrain21
07-22-2010, 11:15 AM

I was a freshman in college in 2004. Now I'm three years removed and have a full time job.

Things change.

Domeshot17
07-22-2010, 11:24 AM

So were Andruw Jones

CHISOXFAN13
07-22-2010, 11:26 AM
So you want to keep moving Beckham around the infield? That's pure silliness.

If you want an upgrade, second base isn't the position to worry about.

Zisk77
07-22-2010, 11:28 AM
We need infield help for next season. Who do you have playing 3rd base next season?

Unless you're willing to give up Beckham for Fielder or Dunn. The Sox need to get a another bat in this lineup. I believe we can get Roberts for cheap and with the O's paying some of his salary.

Quite possibly Brent Morel. Also we still have Teahen.

Rockabilly
07-22-2010, 11:29 AM
So were Andruw Jones

yeah but Roberts has had a solid career from the very beginning with this only be his first down season because of the injury..

maybe you should look at Roberts stats from his last 3 full seasons. No team think our minor league system is worth anything. Unless you're willing to give up Beckham we're not going to get a star player back.

Who do you think the Sox should go after and what are you willing to give up for that player?

Domeshot17
07-22-2010, 11:31 AM
yeah but Roberts has had a solid career from the very beginning with this only be his first down season because of the injury..

maybe you should look at Roberts stats from his last 3 full seasons. No team think our minor league system is worth anything. Unless you're willing to give up Beckham we're not going to get a star player back.

Who do you think the Sox should go after and what are you willing to give up for that player?

I have said from day 1 I think we land Laroche. Carlos Torres and another mid level spec should get that done.

Rockabilly
07-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Quite possibly Brent Morel. Also we still have Teahen.

you really want to put Teahen at 3rd base

Rockabilly
07-22-2010, 11:42 AM
So you want to keep moving Beckham around the infield? That's pure silliness.

If you want an upgrade, second base isn't the position to worry about.

here is the list of 3rd baseman that are free agents this off season. Tell me which guy you would want to start for us next season.

Garrett Atkins BAL *
Jorge Cantu FLA
Eric Chavez OAK *
Pedro Feliz HOU
Bill Hall BOS *
Brandon Inge DET
Maicer Izturis LAA
Mike Lowell BOS
Melvin Mora COL
Nick Punto MIN *
Ty Wigginton BAL

Zisk77
07-22-2010, 11:43 AM
you really want to put Teahen at 3rd base

More than anything in the world. He's adequate. Not terrible defensively as many claim. Would I upgrade there if I could...sure. And as I said it could be Brent Morel who is very good defensively.

Instead of trading for Roberts wouldn't it make more sense to trade for Aramis Ramirez if the Cubs ate some of the salary, rather than move Beckham out of position and Gamble Roberts will be healthy and good?

Plus if you obtain Roberts, you don't need Pierre, but can u get rid of him?

spawn
07-22-2010, 11:45 AM
here is the list of 3rd baseman that are free agents this off season. Tell me which guy you would want to start for us next season.

Garrett Atkins BAL *
Jorge Cantu FLA
Eric Chavez OAK *
Pedro Feliz HOU
Bill Hall BOS *
Brandon Inge DET
Maicer Izturis LAA
Mike Lowell BOS
Melvin Mora COL
Nick Punto MIN *
Ty Wigginton BAL

That's not the point. It's pretty damn irresponsible to change his position every season.

Rockabilly
07-22-2010, 11:46 AM
More than anything in the world. He's adequate. Not terrible defensively as many claim. Would I upgrade there if I could...sure. And as I said it could be Brent Morel who is very good defensively.

Instead of trading for Roberts wouldn't it make more sense to trade for Aramis Ramirez if the Cubs ate some of the salary, rather than move Beckham out of position and Gamble Roberts will be healthy and good?

Plus if you obtain Roberts, you don't need Pierre, but can u get rid of him?

I would like to see the Sox get Aramis. I don't know if the Cubs would trade him to us.

Rockabilly
07-22-2010, 11:47 AM
That's not the point. It's pretty damn irresponsible to change his position every season.

tell me our 3rd baseman for next season

Domeshot17
07-22-2010, 11:47 AM

Could you imagine the laughing stock the Rays would have been if they let Longoria play 3rd in the minors, then called him up to play 2nd, moved him to 1st, back to 2nd.....

but we are cool doing it with Gordon???

Totally agree

soltrain21
07-22-2010, 11:53 AM

You realize it could be ANY third baseman, right? Who the hell knows what happens in the offseason.

Zisk77
07-22-2010, 11:53 AM

Garrett Atkins BAL *
Jorge Cantu FLA
Eric Chavez OAK *
Pedro Feliz HOU
Bill Hall BOS *
Brandon Inge DET
Maicer Izturis LAA
Mike Lowell BOS
Melvin Mora COL
Nick Punto MIN *
Ty Wigginton BAL

Garrett Atkins BAL * No
Jorge Cantu FLA We could acquire him no cheap to DH, brutal defender
Eric Chavez OAK * Injured
Pedro Feliz HOU no
Bill Hall BOS * no
Brandon Inge DET Sure if the price was right, very versatile, good defender,
Power, lots of K's
Maicer Izturis LAA He's good, but not a 3b.
Mike Lowell BOS Retired
Melvin Mora COL No
Nick Punto MIN * :puking:
Ty Wigginton BAL no

Rockabilly
07-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Garrett Atkins BAL * No
Pedro Feliz HOU no
Bill Hall BOS * no
Power, lots of K's
Mike Lowell BOS Retired
Melvin Mora COL No
Ty Wigginton BAL no

I agree with you. They all suck.

SCCWS
07-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Garrett Atkins BAL * No
Pedro Feliz HOU no
Bill Hall BOS * no
Power, lots of K's
Mike Lowell BOS Retired
Melvin Mora COL No
Ty Wigginton BAL no

Mike Lowell is not retired. He is starting a minor league rehab/showcase this weekend. If he can still play, he will be dealt very soon, probably to Texas.

doublem23
07-22-2010, 12:21 PM

Mark Teahen, probably

DirtySox
07-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Mark Teahen, probably

Or Morel at some point. I fully expect him on the team sometime next year unless he is traded. Though that may be less likely with the torn labrum.

Dibbs
07-22-2010, 12:31 PM
I honestly think moving Beckham back to 3B is one of the worst ideas I can think of. He should be nowhere but 2B...or traded, which I do not want.

Zisk77
07-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Mike Lowell is not retired. He is starting a minor league rehab/showcase this weekend. If he can still play, he will be dealt very soon, probably to Texas.

He is not currently retired, but he said he will retire at the end of this year.

Zisk77
07-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Or Morel at some point. I fully expect him on the team sometime next year unless he is traded. Though that may be less likely with the torn labrum.

Torn labrum is on his non throwing shoulder and is not a significant injury.

DirtySox
07-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Torn labrum is on his non throwing shoulder and is not a significant injury.

Right. But any injury still impacts trade implications, even if minor.

spawn
07-22-2010, 01:05 PM

Tell me what I'm having for lunch tomorrow.

kevingrt
07-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Anyone have any interest in going after OF Cody Ross from the Fish? Decent hitter with 15-20 HR power. Plays a decent CF and a good RF. Hits around .260-.280. Any thoughts? I really wouldn't mind him on the team. Get rid of Jones and then you can DH TCQ more.

DumpJerry
07-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Viciedo?
The Lead Glove.

Nellie_Fox
07-23-2010, 01:38 AM
Why would you want to keep screwing with Beckham? Let him settle in at a position so we can find out what his potential is.

WhiteSox5187
07-23-2010, 01:47 AM

He also had a great 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009. But you are right, he is banged up now and we don't need a middle infielder right now. We might not even really need a leadoff man seeing as how Pierre's OBP gets better and better every month.

We could use a left handed bat or another arm for the pen though.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-23-2010, 02:59 AM

Teahen, Viciedo, and Morel are all options. Not the best, but I would rather have one of those 3 there than put Beckham back at 3B. There isn't any reason to keep switching his position on him every year. Plus the Sox said Beckham was always viewed as a 2B player, and I'm sure he finds it more comfortable than 3B ever was. He's done a good job there for the most part too. If the Sox are going to make any trades with what little pieces they have in the farm, it needs to be for a DH or RF type to push Quentin in the DH spot. No reason to make a trade into an already crowded IF when you can attempt to fill a hole. I'd even look into making a trade for a potential 1B, in the case that Konerko leaves in the offseason, which is a very real possibility.

HebrewHammer
07-23-2010, 07:56 AM

Garrett Atkins BAL *
Jorge Cantu FLA
Eric Chavez OAK *
Pedro Feliz HOU
Bill Hall BOS *
Brandon Inge DET
Maicer Izturis LAA
Mike Lowell BOS
Melvin Mora COL
Nick Punto MIN *
Ty Wigginton BAL

I think we know which way KW might be leaning.

Bob Roarman
07-23-2010, 08:00 AM
"Where's he gunna play?"

hawkjt
07-23-2010, 08:33 AM
The Lead Glove.

I do not agree. Limited range? yes. But soft hands...watch him at first,if he replaces PK. I just do not think it is fair to label a guy in his first handful of games at the mlb level at age 21 when he hardly ever plays.

kittle42
07-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Can the next thread be about getting Albert Pujols, Stephen Strasburg or Miguel Cabrera?

doublem23
07-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Can the next thread be about getting Albert Pujols, Stephen Strasburg or Miguel Cabrera?

I don't want Albert, he'll be a free agent after this year.

Zisk77
07-23-2010, 02:13 PM

No way i give up Carlos Torres for those guys let alone Beckham.

07-23-2010, 02:26 PM

Garrett Atkins BAL *
Jorge Cantu FLA
Eric Chavez OAK *
Pedro Feliz HOU
Bill Hall BOS *
Brandon Inge DET
Maicer Izturis LAA
Mike Lowell BOS
Melvin Mora COL
Nick Punto MIN *
Ty Wigginton BAL

Adrian Beltre