PDA

View Full Version : Teahen To Return As A Utility Player

Sockinchisox
07-21-2010, 11:36 PM
Vizquel is going to man 3rd.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0722-bits-white-sox-mariners-c20100721,0,6976357.story

soltrain21
07-21-2010, 11:39 PM
Bye bye Andruw Jones, I hope.

SephClone89
07-21-2010, 11:44 PM

No. We need his defense.

Boondock Saint
*exhales deeply*

MetroPD
when they say "utility player" they really mean equipment maintenance guy right?

LoveYourSuit
07-21-2010, 11:47 PM
Viciedo will go.

delben91
07-21-2010, 11:48 PM
Viciedo will go.

Or Lillibridge, but yeah, probabay Dayan.

WhiteSox5187
07-21-2010, 11:51 PM
I really think Kotsay is going to be the odd man out. I think Teahen takes his spot in the lineup as a DH or whatever spot in the lineup needs a day off.

voodoochile
07-22-2010, 12:26 AM
Or Lillibridge, but yeah, probabay Dayan.

Think it has to be Viciedo because Lillibridge is more versatile defensively.

doublem23
07-22-2010, 01:13 AM
What a waste of money Teahen is.

Nellie_Fox
07-22-2010, 01:20 AM
Viciedo should be the one to go down. He's not ready, and he's not going to get ready sitting on the bench. He needs to be playing every day, and not on the White Sox.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-22-2010, 01:58 AM
I would hate for it to be Viciedo, but considering all he does is warm the bench, then he might as well. Plus Vizquel needs to play everyday the way he plas D and is hitting. Ozzie will never use the Tank at DH.

october23sp
07-22-2010, 02:05 AM
Will they package Jenks in whatever deal they make?

Nellie_Fox
07-22-2010, 02:14 AM
Will they package Jenks in whatever deal they make?Who's talking about making any deals? This is about opening up a roster spot for Teahen when he comes back. There would be teams that would want Jenks, but they'd also expect to get him for nothing right now because he's struggling.

thomas35forever
07-22-2010, 02:41 AM
Good. Vizquel shows no signs of slowing down. Why mess with success in the name of big contracts?

DumpJerry
07-22-2010, 08:21 AM
You must be a Tigers and Twins fan. Otherwise I cannot figure for the life of me why you would want to take our outfield staff down to the bone.

soltrain21
07-22-2010, 08:24 AM
You must be a Tigers and Twins fan. Otherwise I cannot figure for the life of me why you would want to take our outfield staff down to the bone.

Well, ****. You figured me out. I'm actually both a Tigers and Twins fan.

doublem23
07-22-2010, 08:38 AM

Because Jones sucks?

TomBradley72
07-22-2010, 09:41 AM
No rational reason for having both Teahen and Kotsay on the same roster...they are the same player...with Teahen having a little more versatility.

Chez
07-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Unless Ozzie is going to give Tony Pena a start, we're going to have to make another roster move the first week in August due to the double header in Detroit. Perhaps they send Viciedo down after the first game, replace him with Torres (who starts the second game) and then activate Teahen (for Torres) after Game 2. This assumes Teahen will be ready by then.

harwar
07-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Vizquel is going to man 3rd

sounds like a good idea to me .. at his age he's going to need time off and that's when Teahen can play there, since i don't think Lillibridge has ever played 3rd .. although i'd rather see him somewhere else (preferably back on the royals, oh well) .. i'd guess that Viciedo goes down

Domeshot17
07-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Barring a trade....

It SHOULD be Kotsay, he sucks, but you know how Ozzie is with him, you would think they were related by blood

It WILL be Viciedo, which is fine since Ozzie refuses to play him.

Tragg
07-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Bye bye Kotsay

Huisj
07-22-2010, 10:38 AM
I guess I don't mind playing Vizquel a lot there for the rest of the year. It kind of is similar to Uribe playing lots of 3B down the stretch in '08 when we won on the strength of good pitching. Solid play at the corner could do a lot to help the pitching.

Ideally, Kotsay would be gone when Teahen comes back, but with Guillen, that isn't going to happen, because he's his favorite. Seems like a waste to cut Andruw Jones since he's the only good defensive option in RF. With Beckham hitting again all the sudden, Lillibridge doesn't seem to have many playing opportunities, but do you want to cut the one speed threat from the bench? The logical person has to be Viciedo. If he's not going to play, he's got to go down and get more at bats and keep developing. He's had a taste now and shown he can do a few things. Maybe he comes back in September for another followup taste, and then next year he could be ready to produce in a more significant role. Doesn't seem like all that bad of a plan at all.

slavko
07-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Because Jones sucks?

I hope he move a baserunner along One Of These Days.

FielderJones
07-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Viciedo should be the one to go down. He's not ready, and he's not going to get ready sitting on the bench. He needs to be playing every day, and not on the White Sox.

:thumbsup:

It was nice to try him out here when we had room on the roster, but playing every day in Charlotte will only help him get ready for a chance next spring to make the big club, and/or to join in September.

doublem23
07-22-2010, 12:57 PM
:thumbsup:

It was nice to try him out here when we had room on the roster, but playing every day in Charlotte will only help him get ready for a chance next spring to make the big club, and/or to join in September.

There's just no room for the poor kid when your DH tandem are hitting .219 and .202 respectively.

Domeshot17
07-22-2010, 01:09 PM
There's just no room for the poor kid when your DH tandem are hitting .219 and .202 respectively.

Come on Doub, the kid is only hitting 80 points higher than Kotsay and slugging 120 points higher with an OPS about 100 points higher. He is just NOT READY

FielderJones
07-22-2010, 01:19 PM

DFA Kotsay, DH Viciedo from the right and Teahen from the left? Okay, I guess I could live with that. Just saying that in Charlotte, Viciedo is an every day player and gets to both bat and field. I'm not ready to trust him in the field in a major league pennant race yet.

Tragg
07-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Viceido's not ready for what? 3b? Maybe not, but he'll likely never be.

But DH? How's he not ready, considering the clowns Guillen absolutely insists on playing? What does he have to do - kiss the ring and show proper "respect"?

Sockinchisox
07-23-2010, 11:02 PM
Teahen accepts the role, says he'll do whatever it takes to help the team make the postseason.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-spt-0724-bits-white-sox-as-chicago20100722,0,4094301.story

DirtySox
07-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Teahen accepts the role, says he'll do whatever it takes to help the team make the postseason.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-spt-0724-bits-white-sox-as-chicago20100722,0,4094301.story

Good to hear. Teahen seems like a helluva nice guy. Too bad he isn't better at baseball.

tm1119
07-23-2010, 11:24 PM
I think people are writing Teahen off a little too quick. Im not claiming hes great or is going to light the world on fire when he comes back, but hes certainly more than capable of starting on our roster. Theres no doubt he should be starting over Kotsay at the least. Even with Teahen's bad start he was still a lot better than Kotsay has been over the entire season. Of course Ozzie wont see that though. I hope KW just cuts Kotsay so Ozzie cant play him anymore. Call up Teahen and send Dayan down, and then call up De Aza and cut Kotsay. De Aza is a LH bat that could probably hit at the rate Kotsay is right now, plus hes got some speed and can actually play D.

Save McCuddy's
07-24-2010, 12:10 AM
:praying:Bye bye Kotsay

Hitmen77
07-24-2010, 12:19 AM
I think people are writing Teahen off a little too quick. Im not claiming hes great or is going to light the world on fire when he comes back, but hes certainly more than capable of starting on our roster. Theres no doubt he should be starting over Kotsay at the least. Even with Teahen's bad start he was still a lot better than Kotsay has been over the entire season.

Agreed. I'm not saying Teahen is a great hitter or anything, but he should be an improvement over Kotsay. When he gets back (assuming no trades by the Sox), I'm hoping - if the choice between using a lefty at DH is Kotsay or Teahen - that Ozzie would use Teahen more often.

DFA Kotsay, DH Viciedo from the right and Teahen from the left? Okay, I guess I could live with that. Just saying that in Charlotte, Viciedo is an every day player and gets to both bat and field. I'm not ready to trust him in the field in a major league pennant race yet.

I agree, but that's not going to happen. Seeing as Viciedo has been just sitting on the bench now, it's becoming clear that he's going back to AAA when Teahen comes back. They'll keep Jones for his defense and they'll keep Kotsay.

Craig Grebeck
07-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Kotsay must go. His hot streak is over, and he seemingly only rotates between 1B and DH. With Teahen, there is the luxury of 3B (eek!), 1B, and OF.

Kotsay's paltry numbers are propped up by a great May, and a below average but not terrible June.

LITTLE NELL
07-24-2010, 12:31 PM
At this point I'd rather go with the veterans, send Viciedo back to Charlotte were he can play on a regular basis. Its only for 5 weeks, Sept 1st will be here before you know it.

ChiSoxGal85
07-24-2010, 12:33 PM
I'm not a huge Kotsay fan - but Paulie does need to rest every once in a while. Who would play first to give him that rest if Kotsay is DFA'd? Viceido?

Domeshot17
07-24-2010, 12:36 PM
I'm not a huge Kotsay fan - but Paulie does need to rest every once in a while. Who would play first to give him that rest if Kotsay is DFA'd? Viceido?

Teahen:scratch:

voodoochile
07-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Kotsay must go. His hot streak is over, and he seemingly only rotates between 1B and DH. With Teahen, there is the luxury of 3B (eek!), 1B, and OF.

Kotsay's paltry numbers are propped up by a great May, and a below average but not terrible June.

I said the same thing last night. I mean if all he's going to be used as is DH and occasional 1B he's very replaceable by a better bat. If not Teahen then Dunn or one of the other names that has been mentioned can be that guy. Might even be able to get away with keeping both Teahen and the new bat by sending down Lillibridge because in a pinch you can put Teahen at third and move Omar to another IF position, though it does leave things a little thinner than Ozzie probably likes.

Still replacing Lillibridge and Kotsay with Teahen and Dunn (for example) would make the Sox offense incredibly stronger for the stretch run and playoffs.

Craig Grebeck
07-24-2010, 12:53 PM
I said the same thing last night. I mean if all he's going to be used as is DH and occasional 1B he's very replaceable by a better bat. If not Teahen then Dunn or one of the other names that has been mentioned can be that guy. Might even be able to get away with keeping both Teahen and the new bat by sending down Lillibridge because in a pinch you can put Teahen at third and move Omar to another IF position, though it does leave things a little thinner than Ozzie probably likes.

Still replacing Lillibridge and Kotsay with Teahen and Dunn (for example) would make the Sox offense incredibly stronger for the stretch run and playoffs.
Agreed on all counts.

Thanks for May, Kotsay.

voodoochile
07-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Agreed on all counts.

Thanks for May, Kotsay.

Yeah and come to think of it Teahen can play 2B also. That might make Lillibridge the odd man out already then all we need to do is get Ozzie to start giving Viciedo some AB at DH and let him play some first.

TheCommander
07-26-2010, 10:33 PM
Well, ****. You figured me out. I'm actually both a Tigers and Twins fan.

The truth comes out!

UofCSoxFan
07-26-2010, 10:40 PM
What a waste of money Teahen is.

It's a bad signing no doubt but at least KW and the White Sox aren't married to bad movies. Unlike some teams, like the Cubs, the Sox won't play a guy just because of his contract nor will the be afraid to improve a position if it means sitting a highly paid player.

I'm still holding out hope that Teahen could provide value as a utility guy. That seemed to be when he played his best ball in KC (I may be wrong there). He won't live up to his deal but the good news is at least we have someone in Vizquel that has stepped up. It would be a much worse deal if we had a Nick Punto type player at third b/c of Teahen's failure.

soltrain21
07-26-2010, 10:43 PM
It's a bad signing no doubt but at least KW and the White Sox aren't married to bad movies. Unlike some teams, like the Cubs, the Sox won't play a guy just because of his contract nor will the be afraid to improve a position if it means sitting a highly paid player.

I'm still holding out hope that Teahen could provide value as a utility guy. That seemed to be when he played his best ball in KC (I may be wrong there). He won't live up to his deal but the good news is at least we have someone in Vizquel that has stepped up. It would be a much worse deal if we had a Nick Punto type player at third b/c of Teahen's failure.

Not true. Ozzie loves "Lady In The Water."

UofCSoxFan
07-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Not true. Ozzie loves "Lady In The Water."

Ugh....I'm not going to even change it. Good catch and well played.

Tragg
07-27-2010, 10:29 AM
The Sox may not be married to contracts, but Guillen certainly is cemented hard to bad, bad baseball players that he likes. There's some reason that Kotsay's been a lineup stalwart. And "tremendous" Wise last year; and Owens and Erstad.