PDA

View Full Version : By adding 1 piece is this team championship caliber?

tm1119
07-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Given only the players that are rumored to be available would adding just 1 of those players make this team championship worthy?

Just curious as to what people feel.

getonbckthr
07-21-2010, 08:11 PM
I would say we are championship caliber right now because of our pitching. You add a Fielder or Dunn it can only help your chances.

chaotic8512
07-21-2010, 08:17 PM
I would say we are championship caliber right now because of our pitching. You add a Fielder or Dunn it can only help your chances.

And therein lies the conundrum. Any attempt to add Fielder or Dunn means that in all likelihood, we'd have to break up that pitching, or lose Beckham. Neither of those are options if we want to compete.

But yes, I'd say we're pretty close as is. I'd feel a whole lot more comfortable with one more bat, though.

Pablo_Honey
07-21-2010, 08:21 PM
We need a good 3B, a RF or DH, a stud lefty out of the pen and a true stud ace. This team has more holes than that but those are the major flaws of this team.

SephClone89
07-21-2010, 08:25 PM
We need a good 3B, a RF or DH, a stud lefty out of the pen and a true stud ace. This team has more holes than that but those are the major flaws of this team.

*** man.

This team with "a good 3B, RF/DH, stud lefty out of the pen and a true stud ace" is one of the best teams in baseball.

Tragg
07-21-2010, 08:28 PM
No
Another reason why dumping young talent is a dubious idea.

getonbckthr
07-21-2010, 08:28 PM
I'm fine with Threets. We will survive with Quentin. If we were to add a starter I would prefer a 3-5 opposed to a stud.

tm1119
07-21-2010, 08:33 PM

I think we are the best team in our division, and better than anybody in the West, but the East is whole different story in my opinion. You could easily make the argument that the Yankees, Red Sox, and Rays are all better than us. I think we definitely need to add another bat to be able to keep up with them just because they all have better offenses than us and have very comparable pitching staffs. Prince or Dunn would be awesome, but I dont think they are necessary. A good solid LH power bat to hit behind Q would really do wonders for this team.

Pablo_Honey
07-21-2010, 08:39 PM
*** man.

This team with "a good 3B, RF/DH, stud lefty out of the pen and a true stud ace" is one of the best teams in baseball.
Exactly. How are you gonna compete for championships if you are NOT one of the best teams in baseball? Sometimes you can get really lucky like the Cardinals in 2006 but most World Series winners were one of the top teams in the league. Just barely winning this joke of a division and getting knocked out of first round simply won't cut it.

I'm fine with Threets. We will survive with Quentin. If we were to add a starter I would prefer a 3-5 opposed to a stud.
Threets is yet a question mark despite his superb minor league lines. He doesn't strike out many guys and he's had issues with command. I'll need more than 3 innings before being comfortable with him. Quentin's health is starting to become a huge concern. I'd rather push him to DH and have someone else take RF duties. Or we can acquire a DH and keep him there which is why I said a RF or a DH. And the rotation needs a stud because we don't have a single guy who we can expect to go out there and win every time. If Danks and Peavy can become this kind of a guy, then we won't need one but right now, our rotation is a'ight.

Of course, all my points can be countered with this one simple line: "We can't afford it." Afterall, it's all a pipedream anyway.

soltrain21
07-21-2010, 10:07 PM

What team has all of that, including the talent we are already fielding out there?

TheVulture
07-21-2010, 10:11 PM
We've already got a good thirdbaseman - goes by the name of Omar Vizquel.

Pablo_Honey
07-21-2010, 10:32 PM
What team has all of that, including the talent we are already fielding out there?
Rangers are probably closest to that. Yankees are pretty close to it too except for the pen minus Rivera. Red Sox has the offense going for them but injuries and bad pitching get in the way, but the pitching wasn't supposed to be this bad. Yes, I know it's hard to get a perfect team but the Sox aren't exactly one piece away from championships. We gave third base to Mark Teahen until he got injured; still have Kotsay DH'ing; had Randy Williams be our LOOGY - if you can even call him that - and saw Peavy struggle and then go down with an injury. A bit messy, IMHO.

We have a good rotation that can be great from time to time. On second thought, I guess having an ace is just a luxury. Continuing on, our offense is average to above average at best. We have no decent table setters; we only have two cleanup hitters; and our bottom half of lineup is a joke. Defensively, we are very good, I'll give you that. One of the top infield defenses, and a good outfield with Rios in center. Overall, you have a team that is good enough to win AL Central but probably not World Series.

We've already got a good thirdbaseman - goes by the name of Omar Vizquel.
Yes, him and his glorious sub-700 OPS. He is a fine fielder but his bat leaves a lot to be desired for the hot corner position. Oh and when Teabag...I mean, Teahen comes back, he will overtake third base duties once again. Eww.

Edit: It's been reported Teahen won't start at 3B once he returns. Still, Vizquel would have been a backup on a championship team.

TDog
07-21-2010, 10:55 PM

Not if you diminish the pitching.

This team is championship caliber right now because of its pitching.

khan
07-22-2010, 11:03 AM
I'd say no. There are obvious holes in the roster that cannot be solved by one guy.

Hitmen77
07-22-2010, 11:36 AM
I voted "yes, if it is Dunn or Fielder".

Otherwise, I think this team has the pieces in place to make a run. It's just a matter of whether the players will come through. Specifically:

- Is the starting pitching going to continue to roll? Is Hudson going to be at least serviceable as the 5th starter?

- Quentin. Can this guy avoid the constant nagging injuries? As we saw last month, when he's on he can be dangerous. But then there's the injuries. It seems like every week it's a new problem. Not only has he missed games, but it'll be hard to keep a hot bat going if you are constantly being sidelined.

- Jenks. Is this just a brief bump on the road or is he going to continue having problems? This week was a classic example: Forget all the other failings of this team these last 7 games, if Bobby does his job we're 5-2 on this road trip and 4.5 and 5.5 ahead of our rivals.

- Defense. We seem to have turned the corner on defense over the last 6 weeks, but defense is bad when Vizquel isn't at 3B. We can't afford to give away too many runs (and games) due to errors.

If all these fall into place (not too improbable), then we're still stuck with rally killers Kotsay and/or Jones in our lineup. That might not cut it down the stretch and against the big boys of the AL. I really don't think we're getting another big bat for our lineup. I'm guessing that the Sox are just going to go with Kotsay/Teahen/Jones for that spot in the lineup from here on out.

If we did get another big bat, and the other things fall into place, then this team could go far.

Another reason we need another bat (other than Kotsay and Jones suck) is Quentin's constant injuries. It's easier to gloss over 1 hole in the lineup when Carlos is smoking the ball. When he's out, then having both Kotsay and Jones in the lineup is just brutal.

khan
07-22-2010, 11:53 AM
I especially don't think this team would be championship calibre if Dunn or Fielder were added.

That is, IF the cost would be:

1. To weaken the pitching staff by trading away the only solution for the 5th SP in Daniel Hudson, AND

2. Forcing Brent Lillibridge to be the everyday 2B by trading away Beckham.

Overall, I think the team would be weakened in other areas by trading away contributors at 5th SP/2nd Base despite correcting the Kotsay debacle. I think the team would be weakened overall to the point that a WS wouldn't be all that probable.

FielderJones
07-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Overall, I think the team would be weakened in other areas by trading away contributors at 5th SP/2nd Base despite correcting the Kotsay debacle. I think the team would be weakened overall to the point that a WS wouldn't be all that probable.

Absolutely agree. The current asking price for Fielder and Dunn is too high to keep this team championship caliber. Teahen might be enough to correct the Kotsay debacle.