PDA

View Full Version : The Big Hurt is a total gentleman

The Loop
07-21-2010, 03:06 PM
A fan shares a story describing how Frank Thomas went way above and beyond in accommodating fans at the All-Star FanFest in Anaheim. The Sox legend comes off as a real class act in this story.
http://ifollo.com/celebritystory/big-hurt-total-gentleman

Madvora
07-21-2010, 03:08 PM
It's funny to think that there was a time when Thomas couldn't keep his foot out of his mouth. He seems like such a great guy.
There was also a time like that for Konerko early in his career. The way Paulie acts today it seems like that wasn't even possible. I remember him regularly saying stupid things to the media (however I can't remember specifics.)

palehosepub
07-21-2010, 03:44 PM
Sometimes players, like any other people, act different when they are "on stage" vs. "one on one". I think Frank is one of those people. I have met him twice, once by chance at a restaurant, and once at a Soxfest signing. He was very open, gracious and accommodating and others I have known who have met him "one on one" have similar observations. I think sometimes in front of a microphone or audience Frank has obviously lacked some PR skills in the past and it seems like he is maturing and getting over that defensiveness. Maybe looking back over his career during the "steroid era" he feels vindicated and perhaps more appreciated..

I like him as an analyst on Comcast, he has a way to go but I find his comments insightful and generally interesting.

asindc
07-21-2010, 04:16 PM
I met Frank in Vegas before the 2003 season. We only talked briefly, as he was about to do his workout (we met at the Bellagio fitness club). He was a bit standoffish at first, but lit up when I told him I am a lifelong Sox fan. Watching him at his retirement press conference earlier this year, I got the impression that he is much more at peace with how his career unfolded, and definitely more comfortable in his role as a baseball ambassador.

thomas35forever
07-21-2010, 04:20 PM
Go Big Hurt!

doublem23
07-21-2010, 04:25 PM
I met Frank in Vegas before the 2003 season. We only talked briefly, as he was about to do his workout (we met at the Bellagio fitness club). He was a bit standoffish at first, but lit up when I told him I am a lifelong Sox fan. Watching him at his retirement press conference earlier this year, I got the impression that he is much more at peace with how his career unfolded, and definitely more comfortable in his role as a baseball ambassador.

I think a lot of it has to do with just growing up and maturing. A lot of Frank's more memorable troubles with the media came in his younger years, when he was still basically a 20-something prima donna athlete (not dissing him, all 20-something superstars are). But watching him now on CSN, you can see he is a more sage, more mature adult. A lot of his "selfishness" was always overblown, of course, but a few times he was his own worst enemy, but that's not really any different than most 20-somethings.

Shoeless_Jim
07-21-2010, 11:47 PM
Sometimes players, like any other people, act different when they are "on stage" vs. "one on one". I think Frank is one of those people. I have met him twice, once by chance at a restaurant, and once at a Soxfest signing. He was very open, gracious and accommodating and others I have known who have met him "one on one" have similar observations.

completely agree.

In what I think was 1999, maybe 2000 I had the opportunity to stand on the field during the Reds vs. White Sox pre-game batting practice. Frank Thomas has always been my favorite player and when he walked by my sister and I got his autograph. He was very friendly and seemed happy to take the time for us. To me he seemed like a great guy.

Granted I was 9...

Parrothead
07-22-2010, 12:05 AM
When i met frank in the skyboxes at USCF he was a total jag. he was with his kids and we were minding our own business in our box. he had security come over to our box and told us not to go over to his and then had security at the door. We did nothing except say hi.

other times while out he was a jag too, perhaps because we saw the "situation" he was with. i think you all know what i am saying there.

TornLabrum
07-22-2010, 12:06 AM
Frank would always sign stuff (balls, jerseys, etc.) for us to raffle off when the Windy City Sox Fans were still around.

07-22-2010, 12:42 AM
When i met frank in the skyboxes at USCF he was a total jag. he was with his kids and we were minding our own business in our box. he had security come over to our box and told us not to go over to his and then had security at the door. We did nothing except say hi.

other times while out he was a jag too, perhaps because we saw the "situation" he was with. i think you all know what i am saying there.

Maybe he just hates you?

Parrothead
07-22-2010, 01:26 AM
Maybe he just hates you?

i did not fall all over him so you could be right.

ghostface36
07-22-2010, 03:59 AM
my favorite autographs are from frank thomas and jim thome

Crestani
07-22-2010, 07:18 PM
Maybe he just hates you?

:hurt

chisoxfanatic
07-22-2010, 09:20 PM
In '95, I went to a game with my aunt, and we went to the team parking lot afterwards for autographs. I got several Sox players to autograph my tee shirt (including Ozzie, Ventura, Larry Thomas, and Paco). Frank Thomas saw us, got in his car, and drove off. That moment made Ventura my favorite player.

hawkjt
07-22-2010, 10:41 PM
These ballplayers come up to the majors without a lot of training in public relations...they know one thing,trying to make the club.
So Frank,and PK needed some time to ease into the public role.
I heard Joe Cowley today denigrating Carlos Quetin for his quirkiness,his ''dark intensity'' ect...saying he was sick of it and would be fine if Carlos was traded for Dunn or Fielder.
I thought Cowley was a jerk...now I know it. Unless you are a quote machine for these beat writers,they start labeling you,(like Frank) as anti-social,and prima donnas....screw you,Joe.

LongLiveFisk
07-22-2010, 11:00 PM
It seems that different situations can elicit a different response from players, maybe just depending on the player's mood or other external factors. I only had any interaction with Frank while he was on the field (came over to sign autographs and once for camera day) and in those situations he seemed very amicable. I can understand why people who had a bad experience will keep it with them, though, because it has to be totally demoralizing to have someone you think so highly of seem to not care about you.

Parrothead
07-23-2010, 12:40 AM
It seems that different situations can elicit a different response from players, maybe just depending on the player's mood or other external factors. I only had any interaction with Frank while he was on the field (came over to sign autographs and once for camera day) and in those situations he seemed very amicable. I can understand why people who had a bad experience will keep it with them, though, because it has to be totally demoralizing to have someone you think so highly of seem to not care about you.

personally i did not care to meet or talk to him anytime i met him. i just thought that frank doing a pre-emtive jag move makes him a jag.

happydude
07-23-2010, 12:18 PM

This makes a great deal of sense. It's imperative, though, that we keep in mind that ballplayers are people and subject to the same moods as the rest of us. We all have moments in our lives where we treat people less kindly than they deserve. Athletes and entertainers may be rich and famous but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are happy.

asindc
07-23-2010, 01:24 PM
[/B]

This makes a great deal of sense. It's imperative, though, that we keep in mind that ballplayers are people and subject to the same moods as the rest of us. We all have moments in our lives where we treat people less kindly than they deserve. Athletes and entertainers may be rich and famous but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are happy.

Wise words.

Balfanman
07-24-2010, 02:46 PM
In '95, I went to a game with my aunt, and we went to the team parking lot afterwards for autographs. I got several Sox players to autograph my tee shirt (including Ozzie, Ventura, Larry Thomas, and Paco). Frank Thomas saw us, got in his car, and drove off. That moment made Ventura my favorite player.

There could be a very logical explaination for this. Maybe Frank noticed that some of the other players were signing autographs that day and didn't feel the need to. For all I know maybe the players have some sort of rotation system in place where they take turns signing after a game. Maybe he had a particularly rough game, or had another event that he had to get to, whether public or private, and needed to get going. Maybe he signed autographs before the game.

I'm sure that players in general, as any human being would, have times when they are just tired and don't want to deal with people. At any rate, I wouldn't hate Frank for one, isolated incident.