PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie to the Flubs?????

Fenway
07-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Gammons on WEEI commented on Sun-Times story

"Could happen".

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/2517698,CST-SPT-sox21.article

Pablo_Honey
07-21-2010, 03:02 PM
Why do I get a feeling this thread will quickly turn into a Fire Ozzie vs. Keep Ozzie thread?

Personally, I won't mind seeing him go to the Cubs but I doubt Ozzie will change colours that easily though. I think his first choice would be the Marlins.

BadBobbyJenks
07-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Stupid article is stupid.

oeo
07-21-2010, 03:06 PM
How many taken managers are going to be rumored to go to the Cubs? Since when did the Cubs become a highly-sought-after job?

Sandberg will be their manager, he'll be a god for a couple years, they will then turn on him, he will be fired, rinse, repeat.

#1swisher
07-21-2010, 03:15 PM
Well, it is up to his wife, Ibis. My hunch, he goes if the Cubs want him.

guillensdisciple
07-21-2010, 03:16 PM

After all the smack he has talked about the Cubs, I doubt it. He really dislikes that organization, and loves the Sox organization. This organization holds his loyalty both as a player and as a coach. He'll sign an extension as soon as it is available.

KenBerryGrab
07-21-2010, 03:22 PM
No way.

sox1970
07-21-2010, 03:23 PM
I don't think Ozzie would want to manage 81 games at Wrigley Field.

#1swisher
07-21-2010, 03:26 PM
After all the smack he has talked about the Cubs, I doubt it. He really dislikes that organization, and loves the Sox organization. This organization holds his loyalty both as a player and as a coach. He'll sign an extension as soon as it is available.

Re read the article...he has a lot of friends over there.

WhiteSox1989
07-21-2010, 03:29 PM
This will never happen.

hi im skot
07-21-2010, 03:32 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l4x4h8saFt1qbwyip.gif

WhiteSox1989
07-21-2010, 03:33 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l4x4h8saFt1qbwyip.gif

ay. :thumbsup:

BleacherBandit
07-21-2010, 03:33 PM
When has Ozzie ever publicly cotemplated managing for the Cubs? This is all news to me.

oeo
07-21-2010, 03:34 PM

That elevator conversation Ozzie was talking about sounded sarcastic. The fact that she said she wants to stay in Chicago probably means Ozzie isn't going anywhere.

And the whole Sun Times story was merely hypothetical, something that probably wouldn't happen for years from now if it were to ever happen. The Cubs hiring Ozzie wouldn't even be a good PR move, Cubs fans hate Ozzie. They can bring in the guy they've wanted to compare to Ozzie for years. The former fan favorite that comes in to be a hero.

BadBobbyJenks
07-21-2010, 03:34 PM

Re read the article: ''I don't think you can say never because you never know what will happen, but I would have to wait until Jerry Reinsdorf is no longer the owner of the White Sox.''

infohawk
07-21-2010, 03:35 PM
This Sun-Times article is just fodder to generate buzz. I HIGHLY doubt that Ozzie would ever manage the Cubs. He pretty much took it off the table with the comment about being loyal to Jerry Reinsdorf. This is just a Chicago columnist creating an angle that ties both Chicago teams into the Pinella retirement story. That's a pretty neat trick when you can write a story where the fan bases of BOTH teams will discuss the column. And that's all it's intended to do. Well-played, Joe Cowley!

BleacherBandit
07-21-2010, 03:37 PM
Re read the article: ''I don't think you can say never because you never know what will happen, but I would have to wait until Jerry Reinsdorf is no longer the owner of the White Sox.''

It's too hard trying to decipher what Ozzie's implying some times. That sounds like he really would consider managing the Cubs under different circumstances.

JermaineDye05
07-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Ozzie commented on this and said not as long as Jerry's around.

Also, remember that Ozzie hates Wrigley.

g0g0
07-21-2010, 04:14 PM

This. I don't think the North Side wants him anyways. Personally I like Ozzie, but the Cubs don't need any more drama!

spawn
07-21-2010, 04:17 PM
As long as Reinsdorf is alive and owner of the White Sox, Ozzie isn't going anywhere.

doublem23
07-21-2010, 04:17 PM
How many taken managers are going to be rumored to go to the Cubs? Since when did the Cubs become a highly-sought-after job?

Sandberg will be their manager, he'll be a god for a couple years, they will then turn on him, he will be fired, rinse, repeat.

Even without the results on the field, the Cubs are still a major market, national draw. And if, god forbid, they ever won the World Series... That's instant baseball immortality.

Of course, some of this hinges on the Ricketts keeping payroll up around the Tribune Clearance Sale days, and there has been a lot of speculation that is not going to happen.

doublem23
07-21-2010, 04:19 PM
It's too hard trying to decipher what Ozzie's implying some times. That sounds like he really would consider managing the Cubs under different circumstances.

It sounds like if he were out of work, and the Cubs came and offered him a managerial position, he would accept it. AKA No ****.

GoGoCrede
07-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Shut up, Cowley. That said, if this happened, I'd be torn between laughing hysterically and tearing up.

veeter
07-21-2010, 06:13 PM
Not even worth commenting on.

TDog
07-21-2010, 06:21 PM
I would love to manage the Cubs. Never having been employed by a baseball team and only coaching at the scholastic level, I see no possibility that is ever going to happen. I won't say I couldn't do as good a job as Piniella, but I could win as many championships.

Another reason I won't get the Cubs job is that my name wouldn't sell tickets. Ozzie Guillen's name wouldn't sell Cubs tickets. Find someone who took a team to the World Series (Cubs fans refuse to admit 2005 counts) or hire a former Cubs star and you don't drive people away from the ballpark.

LongLiveFisk
07-21-2010, 06:34 PM

I am not 100% convinced of the Sandberg thing, but I could definitely see that happening before Ozzie taking the helm up on the north side.

slavko
07-21-2010, 06:40 PM
Falling for a writer's cheap trick to stir the pot a little. Or a sports radio host doing the same, from what I heard today. SUCKERS!

RadioheadRocks
07-21-2010, 09:02 PM
falling for a writer's cheap trick to stir the pot a little. Or a sports radio host doing the same, from what i heard today. suckers!

+1

TheVulture
07-21-2010, 11:06 PM
:o:

I can't believe no one's posted this yet:
:threadsucks

pythons007
07-21-2010, 11:53 PM
Ozzie becomes the Cubs manager just as soon as they win the World Series, when pigs fly, and when I grow an arm out of my ass.

MARTINMVP
07-22-2010, 12:37 AM
Gammons on WEEI commented on Sun-Times story

"Could happen".

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/2517698,CST-SPT-sox21.article

No.

CLR01
07-22-2010, 04:39 AM
That would be fantastic. I'll help him move the **** in his office.

white sox bill
07-22-2010, 07:28 AM
IIRC Buerhle said a while back the only way he'd pitch for the cubs is if no one else wanted him. I think same with Oz

g0g0
07-22-2010, 08:35 AM
Joe Torre being linked now too?? These guys have great experience/pedigree but I really want some young, new blood in the clubhouse next year. Torre would be amazing though.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/news/story?id=5399665&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

doublem23
07-22-2010, 08:47 AM
Joe Torre being linked now too?? These guys have great experience/pedigree but I really want some young, new blood in the clubhouse next year. Torre would be amazing though.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/news/story?id=5399665&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

What amazing pedigree he has, he won the World Series with the most insane collection of talent money could buy. He pretty much hasn't done anything when he wasn't in charge of the Yankees.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-22-2010, 08:53 AM
Joe Torre
Joe Girardi
Bobby Valentine
Bob Brenly
Fredi Gonzalez
Ozzie Guillen
Ryne Sandberg

Which name on the above list keeps the Wrigley turnstiles spinning?

Plus, I think Reinsdorf learned long ago not to let your employees go to work across town.

HebrewHammer
07-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Outdated ballpark. Aging roster. Mediocre farm system. New owner. Why would an elite manager really want to come to Chicago?

I don't see Joe Girardi leaving New York unless he's fired. I don't see Ozzie Guillen leaving the White Sox. I could maybe see Fredi Gonzalez, but I think he could be a hot commodity this offseason. I think Joe Torre is as likely to retire as he is to join the Cubs. I don't think Bob Brenly has much to offer. I guess Ryne Sandberg is the most likely pick. I don't really understand why. He's not exactly charismatic and I don't think he's had that much success in the minors. Whatever. There's going to be a lot of meathead speculation before they actually settle on a guy. Ozzie isn't going anywhere and he shouldn't.

Iwritecode
07-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Joe Torre
Joe Girardi
Bobby Valentine
Bob Brenly
Fredi Gonzalez
Ozzie Guillen
Ryne Sandberg

Which name on the above list keeps the Wrigley turnstiles spinning?

Plus, I think Reinsdorf learned long ago not to let your employees go to work across town.

Who goes to a baseball game to see the manager? :?:

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Who goes to a baseball game to see the manager? :?:

We're talking about the Cubs here, right?

Domeshot17
07-22-2010, 01:11 PM
Ozzie to the Cubs

Omar retires and manages the Sox

g0g0
07-22-2010, 01:46 PM
What amazing pedigree he has, he won the World Series with the most insane collection of talent money could buy. He pretty much hasn't done anything when he wasn't in charge of the Yankees.

We all know that just because you have all the talent doesn't mean you win the WS every year. Now maybe every other year in NY lol, but not 100%. Torre has proven he can manage egos as well as the game. I think of him as the Phil Jackson of the MLB. Jackson has don't **** because he's always made sure he's had the talent. Hard to lose with MJ, Scottie, Kobe, Shaq, etc.

khan
07-22-2010, 01:48 PM
Joe Torre
Joe Girardi
Bobby Valentine
Bob Brenly
Fredi Gonzalez
Ozzie Guillen
Ryne Sandberg

Of this list bandied about by the media, very few make sense.

Why would Torre, at 70 YEARS OLD, take on a ****ty team with aging, expensive players, that really doesn't look ready to win for a few years at best? Besides, he's sucked as a manager anytime he doesn't have the most expensive and most steroid-infused team in the league.

Why would Girardi leave arguably the easiest managerial job in the game? When you're racing your Corvette against Ford Pintos, it's akin to getting free wins every year. I honestly think many of us here on these boards could win with THAT much talent and THAT much money.

Why would Valentine leave a cushy job at the 4-letter network to take on the scrubs, who look to be years away from contending?

And why would Ozzie leave a place where he's comfortable for a place where he doesn't like his workplace?

Basically, it looks like a race between Brenly, Sandberg, and maybe Gonzalez, if he doesn't go to Atlanta first. The rest of these names are unadulterated bull****, pipe dreams, or speculation.

Madvora
07-22-2010, 01:49 PM
The Chicago papers are a joke. Anybody who has ever been good at anything has been rumored to be on their way to the Cubs.

khan
07-22-2010, 01:55 PM
We all know that just because you have all the talent doesn't mean you win the WS every year. Now maybe every other year in NY lol, but not 100%. Torre has proven he can manage egos as well as the game. I think of him as the Phil Jackson of the MLB. Jackson has don't **** because he's always made sure he's had the talent. Hard to lose with MJ, Scottie, Kobe, Shaq, etc.

This would be an apt comparison, IF Torre was able to win in another place outside the bronx. Phil Jackson won here in Chicago AND in la, PROVING his quality as a coach.

Torre, OTOH:

1. Didn't have the most roided up and most expensive team in the mets, sucked as a result, and was fired.

2. Didn't have the most roided up and most expensive team in Atlanta, won 1 division, and was fired.

3. Didn't have the most roided up and most expensive team in St. Louis, sucked as a result, and was fired.

4. Finally had the most roided up and most expensive team in the yankees, and rode the gravy train to world series wins.

5. Doesn't have the most roided up and most expensive team in the dodgers, and has won 2 divisions, but hasn't won it all.

Sorry, despite the 4-letter network's use of this comparison to Phil Jackson, it doesn't really fit.

Iwritecode
07-22-2010, 02:22 PM
We're talking about the Cubs here, right?

They go to the game to drink, talk on their cell phone and check out chicks. :cool:

g0g0
07-22-2010, 03:20 PM
This would be an apt comparison, IF Torre was able to win in another place outside the bronx. Phil Jackson won here in Chicago AND in la, PROVING his quality as a coach.

Torre, OTOH:

1. Didn't have the most roided up and most expensive team in the mets, sucked as a result, and was fired.

2. Didn't have the most roided up and most expensive team in Atlanta, won 1 division, and was fired.

3. Didn't have the most roided up and most expensive team in St. Louis, sucked as a result, and was fired.

4. Finally had the most roided up and most expensive team in the yankees, and rode the gravy train to world series wins.

5. Doesn't have the most roided up and most expensive team in the dodgers, and has won 2 divisions, but hasn't won it all.

Sorry, despite the 4-letter network's use of this comparison to Phil Jackson, it doesn't really fit.

Jackson winning in two different places doesn't prove anything. The only thing it proves is he can win with a loaded team. As for Torre's records, I can't speak for them. But I do respect him as a coach and would love to have him and his experience over say Brenly if I had to make a choice. That being said, I still want Ryno!

doublem23
07-22-2010, 03:32 PM
Jackson winning in two different places doesn't prove anything. The only thing it proves is he can win with a loaded team. As for Torre's records, I can't speak for them. But I do respect him as a coach and would love to have him and his experience over say Brenly if I had to make a choice. That being said, I still want Ryno!

The point still stands that a Torre/Jackson comparison is silly. With loaded teams come loaded egos. Jackson is on a very, very short list of best coach in NBA history. If you were making a list of best manager in MLB history, Torre doesn't even crack the top 20. Maybe even further down.

Okay, the guy proved he can occasionally win when handed the best talent money can buy. Doesn't mean he's a good manager.

khan
07-22-2010, 03:41 PM
The point still stands that a Torre/Jackson comparison is silly. With loaded teams come loaded egos. Jackson is on a very, very short list of best coach in NBA history. If you were making a list of best manager in MLB history, Torre doesn't even crack the top 20. Maybe even further down.

Okay, the guy proved he can occasionally win when handed the best talent money can buy. Doesn't mean he's a good manager.
Thanks.

I'd add that being able to repeat success in different settings pretty much validates you as a success.

Getting lucky, simply because your owner spends more money than anyone else and gets more steroid-infused freaks than anyone else doesn't mean much. Moreover, being unable to be successful ANYWHERE ELSE in your career speaks VOLUMES about being lucky rather than good.

Of course, when ANYTHING happens in nyc, it becomes exaggerated ad nauseum. The four letter network will of course manufacture some tortured reasoning to list the highly-lucky joe torre as the greatest manager EVER...

Paulwny
07-22-2010, 03:46 PM

Agree, I could wave to the bull pen to bring in Rivera.
Although, he does seem to be able to manage huge egos which were/are on Yankee teams.

PatK
07-22-2010, 04:24 PM
People should be banned from journalism for coming up with such nonsense articles as this one.

g0g0
07-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Thanks.

I'd add that being able to repeat success in different settings pretty much validates you as a success.

Getting lucky, simply because your owner spends more money than anyone else and gets more steroid-infused freaks than anyone else doesn't mean much. Moreover, being unable to be successful ANYWHERE ELSE in your career speaks VOLUMES about being lucky rather than good.

Of course, when ANYTHING happens in nyc, it becomes exaggerated ad nauseum. The four letter network will of course manufacture some tortured reasoning to list the highly-lucky joe torre as the greatest manager EVER...

I am definitely comparing apples to oranges, but the concept is sound. The NBA was founded 80 years after the MLB so the pool for greatness is larger with the MLB. The one other thing I'll say is Phil definitely knows how to go to a winner. I'd like to see him manage a team that doesn't have Top 50 players on it year after year. Give him to the Clippers and see how magical he is. Torre took over a baseball team in the Mets that lost players like Tom Seaver. Of course they'll suck. He was 1st/2nd in his time in Atlanta and guided them to the playoffs for the first time in over 30 years. He's done well in 3 out of the 4 teams he's managed. He hasn't always had superstars like Phil has. LA is just as bad as NY. Man, look what you did - you're making me defend a former NY Yankee...blegh!

TDog
07-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Ozzie to the Cubs

Omar retires and manages the Sox

If you want to manage the White Sox, you first have to become a Marlins bench coach. After the Marlins win the World Series, you can be hired by the White Sox for your first major league managing job.

If you screw up at that, you can always get a job with the Mets.