PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to see Omar return as a coach?

mzh
07-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Yes, we all know, Omar is 43. Can't be too long until he decides to hang up the spikes. My question is, seeing the clearly positive impact he has had on this team not just hitting and fielding solidly, but mentoring Alexei and the young guys, does anyone think that the organization (or Omar) would be open to having him as a coach in a couple years? I personally would love it.

SephClone89
07-21-2010, 12:02 PM
Sure. Not sure if he'd pick us over another team, though.

doublem23
07-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Sure. Not sure if he'd pick us over another team, though.

Remember when Sandy Alomar's career was winding down with the Sox and everyone thought he'd be a great addition to the coaching staff. Shockingly, Sandy elected to return to Cleveland, wheer his career heyday was.

Honestly, I think an MLB coach has such little responsibility, it's not a big deal. As long as they get along with the rest of the staff and preach the same message, that's all you can ask for. Outside of the 3B coach and manager, their jobs are so behind the scenes, I don't have enough knowledge of what most coaches do to make strong opinions on who would be really good or who would suck.

mzh
07-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Remember when Sandy Alomar's career was winding down with the Sox and everyone thought he'd be a great addition to the coaching staff. Shockingly, Sandy elected to return to Cleveland, wheer his career heyday was.

Honestly, I think an MLB coach has such little responsibility, it's not a big deal. As long as they get along with the rest of the staff and preach the same message, that's all you can ask for. Outside of the 3B coach and manager, their jobs are so behind the scenes, I don't have enough knowledge of what most coaches do to make strong opinions on who would be really good or who would suck.
True, true. It does seem that he gets along with Ozzie pretty well, but as you said, if he doesn't want to coach or if he returns to Cleveland I wouldn't hold it against him. All I'm saying is if he wants to, I'd take him.

ewokpelts
07-21-2010, 12:54 PM
i think he's already a coach.

#1swisher
07-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Omar said a few weeks ago that he would like to manage someday.

O.V. "The Artist" (http://www.cleveland.com/budshaw/index.ssf/2009/03/_surprise_ariz_omar.html), in this article, he says he wants to manage.

TDog
07-21-2010, 01:53 PM

It depends on the coach and his position. From what players have told me, coaches serve in part as a buffer between the players and the manager. Players can go to coaches with things they wouldn't go to the manager with. I was told that players liked Don Gutteridge when he was a White Sox coach. When he had to be the boss, he had a hard time managing the team.

On that same 1970 White Sox team, coach Billy Adair was a great teacher who helped players tremendously, although the success didn't show up until he was gone from the team. That team had an odd mix of players who were just establishing themselves as major leaguers, such as Bill Melton, Carlos May and Ed Herrmann, and players who were at or near the ends of their careers, like Luis Aparicio, Bobby Knoop. It's really amazing how many players from that team never played in the majors again. Knoop could have gone to Luke Appling for help with his hitting, but there was nothing anyone on the planet could have done to make him an even better defensive second baseman. The Sox were mired in last place, and just probably just wanted to retire to Southern California and coach for the Angels

On the current White Sox team, Jeff Cox isn't just the third base coach, but, as I understand it, he works with the players on baserunning, as you might expect, and bunting. He keeps a notebook on his and the players' successes and failures on the bases.

Some coaches do more than others. Jim Bouton, who threw a knuckleball, wrote about growing up a huge fan of Sal Maglie (the losing pitcher in the Don Larson perfect game, I believe), and Maglie ended up his pitching coach with the 1969 Seattle Pilots. Once after a game in the shower, Bouton asked Maglie if he could help him with something. He wrote that Maglie simply said something like "try throwing a curveball" and continued showering.

kevingrt
07-21-2010, 03:44 PM
i think he's already a coach.

That's what I was thinking too.

But yeah I think their are probably some other organizations that he holds closer to his heart particularly one right off Lake Erie that needs a lot of help on learning the fundamentals of the game.

But yeah I would love to see him in the black pinstripes helping coach Ozzie's team one day.

Speaking of Ozzie and Omar, are their any two more opposite personalities on this team?