PDA

View Full Version : A Game A Week...

voodoochile
07-21-2010, 12:49 AM
When the Sox were at their low points, people were talking about all they had to do was make up a game a week and things would work out.

Well, they obviously made up a lot more ground, a lot faster than that.

So I'd like to propose that we simply stick with that goal. Put a game a week on the Twinkies and Kittens and lets wrap this bad boy up in a bow by the middle of the third week in September...

HomeFish
07-21-2010, 12:54 AM
How many more games @MIN and @DET do we have?

voodoochile
07-21-2010, 12:59 AM

Lots - what a great point, there will probably be weeks the Sox can make up 2 or even 3 games on their divisions rivals...

jcw218
07-21-2010, 01:25 AM

The Sox have 14 games left against Detroit, 8 @ DET and 9 against Minnesota, 3 @ MIN

HomeFish
07-21-2010, 01:33 AM
We usually play Detroit pretty well.

The rest of July is a cupcake schedule. Are we set up to face King Felix at home v. Seattle?

mzh
07-21-2010, 01:50 AM

The rest of July is a cupcake schedule. Are we set up to face King Felix at home v. Seattle?
Yep, Floyd vs. Felix. Lookin' forward to this pitchers duel.

jcw218
07-21-2010, 01:55 AM

Yes, the schedule has us facing King Felix on Monday 7/26 at the Cell with Danks taking the bump for us

Mohoney
07-21-2010, 05:54 AM
A game a week on both teams is unrealistic.

Forget the rest of the schedule. Go 6-3 against the Twins and 8-4 against the Tigers, and it's over.

goon
07-21-2010, 08:17 AM

How long has Felix Hernandez been a King?

Is Seattle set up to face Emperor Gavin on the Road v. Chicago?

fram40
07-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Yes, the schedule has us facing King Felix on Monday 7/26 at the Cell with Danks taking the bump for us

cool. I have tickets for this game. And Konerko hits a lot of homers at games I go to. A lot.

Rocky Soprano
07-21-2010, 11:36 AM

Forget the rest of the schedule. Go 6-3 against the Twins and 8-4 against the Tigers, and it's over.

Unrealistic?

Did you not see what the Sox did in the past month?

MARTINMVP
07-21-2010, 12:42 PM

Not if we go back to playing .500 baseball again like we did through the second half of April and all of May. We don't exactly know how good the Sox really are - after the 9 game win streak, they lost 3 in a row to Minnesota and won the first two against Seattle. We have to see how well they play now through the next three weeks, at least, before we get a really good idea just how good this team might be.

voodoochile
07-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Not if we go back to playing .500 baseball again like we did through the second half of April and all of May. We don't exactly know how good the Sox really are - after the 9 game win streak, they lost 3 in a row to Minnesota and won the first two against Seattle. We have to see how well they play now through the next three weeks, at least, before we get a really good idea just how good this team might be.

There's two other teams in the equation. It isn't all about how well the Sox play but how well or poorly they play. Both teams look very beatable (though they obviously get up to play the Sox as should be expected).

And of course the wildcard in the game is Cleveland who appears to be heating up a tad. They are so far back I don't think they can actually make a run at the division, but they may add a bunch of losses to the other ALC teams playing spoiler in the process...

jcw218
07-21-2010, 12:57 PM
How long has Felix Hernandez been a King?

Is Seattle set up to face Emperor Gavin on the Road v. Chicago?

This is how the rotations line up for the next 5 games against the Mariners including tonight's baring any rainouts

7/21 @ SEA Floyd vs Hernandez
7/26 @ CHI Danks vs Hernandez
7/27 @ CHI Floyd vs Rowland-Smith
7/28 @ CHI Buehrle vs Vargas
7/29 @ CHI Garcia vs Pauley

IIRC, Felix Hernandez has been referred to as King Felix since his 2nd season in the show.

tacosalbarojas
07-21-2010, 01:13 PM
This is how the rotations line up for the next 5 games against the Mariners including tonight's baring any rainouts

7/21 @ SEA Floyd vs Hernandez
7/26 @ CHI Danks vs Hernandez
7/27 @ CHI Floyd vs Rowland-Smith
7/28 @ CHI Buehrle vs Vargas
7/29 @ CHI Garcia vs Pauley

IIRC, Felix Hernandez has been referred to as King Felix since his 2nd season in the show.
Yep, about the time BA was taking him deep in Seattle.

Mohoney
07-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Unrealistic?

Did you not see what the Sox did in the past month?

I just think it's unrealistic to think that 26-5 can continue into 52-10. I would love for that to happen, but I just can't see it.

voodoochile
07-21-2010, 04:47 PM
I just think it's unrealistic to think that 26-5 can continue into 52-10. I would love for that to happen, but I just can't see it.

No but 26-5 (now 28-8?) has led to the team picking up about 3 games per week. That would wrap up the division by the end of August probably, so no one's expecting it (at least I assume not). They don't need to continue that pace to continue to expand the lead.

HomeFish
07-21-2010, 05:17 PM
If we won the Floyd v. Strasburg game, we can win the King Felix v. Floyd game.

The question is, does Floyd have a shutout in him.

goon
07-21-2010, 05:53 PM

Dude, you keep forgetting it's Emperor Gavin. King Felix vs. Emperor Gavin.

delben91
07-21-2010, 07:26 PM

Are you still not optimistic about tonight?

SoxandtheCityTee
07-21-2010, 09:54 PM
If the Sox could extend this .800 run just a bit longer, I'd love to have 60 wins, or close to it, by the end of July. Then they could play not that much over .500 in August and September (I expect better, of course, but things happen) and still have 90 wins. How many more over that it will take will depend on the head-to-head with DET and the Twinkies.

As thrilling as those last fews days of the 2008 season were -- culminating in the Blackout game, one of the greatest experiences of my life -- it screwed up our rotation for the playoffs. Whether it would have made any difference against the Rays or not, and though there's no one in our current rotation that I regard the way I do he-whose-name-must-not be-mentioned, I'd prefer that the AL Central not go down to the wire again.

mzh
07-21-2010, 09:57 PM
As thrilling as those last fews days of the 2008 season were -- culminating in the Blackout game, one of the greatest experiences of my life -- it screwed up our rotation for the playoffs. Whether it would have made any difference against the Rays or not, and though there's no one in our current rotation that I regard the way I do he-whose-name-must-not be-mentioned, I'd prefer that the AL Central not go down to the wire again.

True dat. Although there really isn't anyone on this team comparable to the immortal Javy Vazquez to start game 1 :redneck