PDA

View Full Version : Busch Stadium Beer Draft: $8.75

Viva Medias B's
07-20-2010, 11:17 PM
When I go to ballgames at our own ballpark, I seldom (if ever) have a beer these days. That is because I am either driving to and from USCF or just not in the mood to drink. Here, I am in St. Louis for a couple of days where I attended this evening's Cardinals' 7-1 win over Philadelphia at Busch Stadium. When I got to Busch Stadium, I ordered a draft beer and was shocked to find out it cost $8.75. 16-ounce plastic bottles of beer cost $8.00. Is the price of beer typically this high at our ballpark? Or is Busch Stadium really gauging beer drinkers?

BadBobbyJenks
07-20-2010, 11:33 PM
It is up to 7 for bottles at the Cell, but St Louis has always been more expensive.

WLL1855
07-20-2010, 11:33 PM
Yeah, they're gouging. Costs more for a Bud Light in St. Louis than for a Pilsner Urquell at the Cell.

BleacherBandit
07-20-2010, 11:38 PM
If they're sponsored by Busch the least Busch could do is charge a reasonable price to the vendors at the stadium. I never get more than one beer at the Cell but that's just because it's ridiculous to order even one.

kittle42
07-20-2010, 11:43 PM
The $8.75 beers are 20 oz., at least.

ilsox7
07-20-2010, 11:52 PM
Yeah, they're gouging. Costs more for a Bud Light in St. Louis than for a Pilsner Urquell at the Cell.

Well, Bud Light is the better beer out of those two.

doublem23
07-20-2010, 11:57 PM
Well, Bud Light is the better beer out of those two.

http://perfunction.typepad.com/perfunction/images/2008/09/11/rimshot.jpg

ilsox7
07-21-2010, 12:03 AM
http://perfunction.typepad.com/perfunction/images/2008/09/11/rimshot.jpg

Seriously, I would order a Coors Light or other macro beer before I ordered a Stella. Same ****, except Stella is marketed as a quality Belgian beer, when it is, in fact, the worst Belgian beer you could find.

Nellie_Fox
07-21-2010, 01:18 AM
Well, Bud Light is the better beer out of those two.You can't be serious. Bud Light isn't better than anything. If Bud Light is my only choice, I don't drink.

Seriously, I would order a Coors Light or other macro beer before I ordered a Stella. Same ****, except Stella is marketed as a quality Belgian beer, when it is, in fact, the worst Belgian beer you could find.Pilsner Urquel and Stella Artois are not the same thing. And Stella may not be a great beer on a European scale, but Coors Light? Come on. The name is redundant. Regular Coors has almost no flavor, and Coors Light is just fizzy water.

ComiskeyBrewer
07-21-2010, 01:46 AM
i always forget why i don't drink at the ballpark........till i see the prices.

Parrothead
07-21-2010, 06:23 AM
yes, it is normal. NY, Bos, Wash were the same.

Johnny Mostil
07-21-2010, 06:31 AM
Regular Coors has almost no flavor, and Coors Light is just fizzy water.

+1

I went to a Sox game at NYY in May and was shocked to see bottled water being sold for $5 each. I saw that and didn't even think to check the beer price.

C-Dawg
07-21-2010, 06:34 AM
Beer should be free at Busch Stadium. Isn't the brewery like three blocks away? They could put in a pipeline directly to the ballpark.

Fenway
07-21-2010, 06:54 AM

$ 7.75 at Fenway

However the beer vendors are only in the $130 seats

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2010/07/21/from_where_i_sit_elitism/

dakuda
07-21-2010, 07:00 AM
Beer was $10 in Toronto this year. THey have a small and a large, that is the large price. They use US$ and CAN$ in a 1:1 ratio in the park.

doublem23
07-21-2010, 07:36 AM
Regular Coors has almost no flavor, and Coors Light is just fizzy water.

I would just like to point out that Coors Light has almost as much alcohol in it as Guinness.

Oblong
07-21-2010, 07:46 AM
At Comerica a 16 oz can of Labatt or Light or Bud is $7. They sell an $8.75 draft at the concession windows but I never get them because I don't eat food at the ballpark so I'm not sure of the size. Maybe 25 ounces?

They also sell 12 ounce cans of Pabst and Labatt Lime for $5.75.

Water is $4. But they will let you bring in an unopened non flavored bottle water from the outside. On the very muggy days I get one from an outside vendor for $1 and keep that filled up from the drinking fountain.

Johnny Mostil
07-21-2010, 08:44 AM
I would just like to point out that Coors Light has almost as much alcohol in it as Guinness.

But as much flavor as water. Maybe less.:wink:

roylestillman
07-21-2010, 08:47 AM
Talking to beer vendors at the park, it sounds like $7 beer is the price point on the curve where people have started to say forget it. They say that even with the favorable weather sales are way down.

I absolutely understand the need for more revenue to pay salaries these days, but if you're making less by charging more, the bean counters may have to look at what people are willing to pay and adjust accordingly.

Ex-Chicagoan
07-21-2010, 09:49 AM
They also sell 12 ounce cans of Pabst and Labatt Lime for $5.75.

I don't get "Labatt Lime." Canada's not known for its citrus crop.

kittle42
07-21-2010, 09:56 AM

Which isn't really very much. Isn't Guinness like 4.2%?

I'd like to point out the Guinness barely has more calories than American light beers. Many seem to be surprised by this.

doublem23
07-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Which isn't really very much. Isn't Guinness like 4.2%?

I'd like to point out the Guinness barely has more calories than American light beers. Many seem to be surprised by this.

Guinness floats around 4.1%-4.3%. Coors Light is usually 4-4.1%.

It's not to say that Coors Light is an awesome beer, but hey, if you want to get drunk it's not a bad choice, either. It'll get the job done.

Oblong
07-21-2010, 10:21 AM
I don't get "Labatt Lime." Canada's not known for its citrus crop.

I'm guessing it's just a response to Bud Light Lime...

I like both. Doesn't taste like beer and if I want a beer I'll get one but I can drink those too. I just don't kid myself that I'm drinking a beer.
They go well on a very hot day.

SI1020
07-21-2010, 12:14 PM
I think Stella Artois is a fine beer and would only drink Bud Light if I was delirious with thirst.

thomas35forever
07-21-2010, 12:16 PM
One of the things my grandfather said before he passed was that he was stunned by how much the price of beer had gone up in his lifetime. Prices like this are probably the main reason I won't drink at the ballpark even though I just turned 21 this year.

BadBobbyJenks
07-21-2010, 01:00 PM
It's not to say that Coors Light is an awesome beer, but hey, if you want to get drunk it's not a bad choice, either. It'll get the job done.

p_v9RUE2nrw

doublem23
07-21-2010, 01:53 PM
I think Stella Artois is a fine beer and would only drink Bud Light if I was delirious with thirst.

Don't mind ilsox. He's just a beer snob.

I mean, Stella sucks, but I would probably pick it over a Bud Light.

ilsox7
07-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Don't mind ilsox. He's just a beer snob.

I mean, Stella sucks, but I would probably pick it over a Bud Light.

I prefer beer geek. :D:

But seriously, I drink my share of macro beer and without a doubt would pick any macro stuff over Stella. Stella just has people pay more for the same lack of flavor and quality.

doublem23
07-21-2010, 02:43 PM
But seriously, I drink my share of macro beer and without a doubt would pick any macro stuff over Stella. Stella just has people pay more for the same lack of flavor and quality.

Well I just have a vendetta against Anheuser-Busch.

Viva Medias B's
07-21-2010, 04:04 PM
I don't know if the draft serving that Busch Stadium sells for $8.75 is 20 oz. I guess I'll have to try and see when I go to tonight's game against the Phillies. Meanwhile, as for the 16-ounce plastic bottle that Busch Stadium sells for $8.00, an area Schnucks grocery store in west suburban Brentwood sells a six-pack of those bottles for about $7.75.

On a side note, I found at the same Schnucks a six place of Budweiser in 7-ounce glass bottles for $4.65. I don't recall seeing either A-B or Miller products in those sizes for sale in the Chicago area.

MeteorsSox4367
07-21-2010, 04:16 PM
When I was at a Cardinals game last summer, I spent $17 for two bottles of Bud Light plus a tip for the vendor. The beer was nice and cold, but I left wondering what the hell I was doing.

Viva Medias B's
07-21-2010, 04:34 PM
When I was at a Cardinals game last summer, I spent $17 for two bottles of Bud Light plus a tip for the vendor. The beer was nice and cold, but I left wondering what the hell I was doing.

What I would do, if you're saying in a downtown St. Louis hotel, is head to someplace like Mike Shannon's and have a beer or two there before and/or after the game. A domestic beer there is $4.25. Shannon usually does his postgame radio show from there.

MeteorsSox4367
07-21-2010, 04:37 PM
What I would do, if you're saying in a downtown St. Louis hotel, is head to someplace like Mike Shannon's and have a beer or two there. A domestic beer draft there is $4.25.

Yeah. We stayed at the Hilton right across the street from Busch (and next to Shannon's), but we really wanted one beer apiece in the ballpark. My friend bought the next round and we were kidding each other about spending $17 for two beers on Catholic school salaries.

At least the Cardinals won.

Nellie_Fox
07-22-2010, 01:24 AM
Beer should be free at Busch Stadium. Isn't the brewery like three blocks away? They could put in a pipeline directly to the ballpark.Oh, yeah, free beer is a great idea at ballgames. No problems there.

Guinness floats around 4.1%-4.3%. Coors Light is usually 4-4.1%.

It's not to say that Coors Light is an awesome beer, but hey, if you want to get drunk it's not a bad choice, either. It'll get the job done.So will a lot of beers that have actual flavor. Coors Light doesn't come close to being "awesome."

doublem23
07-22-2010, 06:03 AM
So will a lot of beers that have actual flavor. Coors Light doesn't come close to being "awesome."

It is if you're want to get hammered.

slavko
07-22-2010, 04:57 PM
It is if you're want to get hammered.

At that price you're hammered and screwed. You should stay together for a while.

Nellie_Fox
07-23-2010, 12:15 AM
It is if you're want to get hammered.Why would you choose ANY light beer for that purpose? They're all lower in alcohol content than their regular counterpart. Coors Light is 4.2%, regular Coors 5%.

johnnyg83
07-23-2010, 12:26 AM
Coors Light is one of the worst beers in production. Bud Light is not far behind.

To say that Coors Light is better than Stella is laughable. In my opinion, of course ... and stella is 5.2% alcohol FWIW.

I know bartenders who call Coors Light "The Gentleman's Beer" because no matter how much someone drinks they never get too drunk. So, if that's your goal and flavor doesn't matter than I understand.

ilsox7
07-23-2010, 12:29 AM
Coors Light is one of the worst beers in production. Bud Light is not far behind.

To say that Coors Light is better than Stella is laughable. In my opinion, of course ...

I know bartenders who call Coors Light "The Gentleman's Beer" because no matter how much someone drinks they never get too drunk. So, if that's your goal and flavor doesn't matter than I understand.

I know plenty of bartenders (and other beer geeks) who laugh at folks spending 6 bucks on a Stella when they can get the same thing by ordering a Coors or Miller. All opinion, of course, but the beer community generally laughs at people drinking Stella who think they are drinking some high class, great beer. As always, though, drink what tastes best to you.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I am saying Crap Macro Beer > Stella somewhat tongue in cheek. If evaluating on an absolute level (not taking into account price), then yea, I guess Stella is slightly better. But when you take into account price, I'd go with the macro crap.

johnnyg83
07-23-2010, 12:47 AM
I know plenty of bartenders (and other beer geeks) who laugh at folks spending 6 bucks on a Stella when they can get the same thing by ordering a Coors or Miller. All opinion, of course, but the beer community generally laughs at people drinking Stella who think they are drinking some high class, great beer. As always, though, drink what tastes best to you.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I am saying Crap Macro Beer > Stella somewhat tongue in cheek. If evaluating on an absolute level (not taking into account price), then yea, I guess Stella is slightly better. But when you take into account price, I'd go with the macro crap.

Fair enough. I like Stella and I loathe Coors Light. But I also love Genuine Draft and High Life. We actually had a party at work where we blind tasted PBR and Stella (because someone had said you couldn't taste the diffference) and 90% picked Stella. Not sure what it proves, but it was fun.

ilsox7
07-23-2010, 12:50 AM
Fair enough. I like Stella and I loathe Coors Light. But I also love Genuine Draft and High Life. We actually had a party at work where we blind tasted PBR and Stella (because someone had said you couldn't taste the diffference) and 90% picked Stella. Not sure what it proves, but it was fun.

Yea, I pretty much don't "like" any of those beers, but I do have the occasional macro for whatever reason. I just don't understand why people spend 6 bucks on Stella when the bar typically has a much better beer for a similar price. But I also realize that my tastes are not the same as everyone else's and always encourage people to drink what tastes good to them.

captainclutch24
07-24-2010, 07:22 AM
Petco has similar prices for 20 oz beers. Coors Light is a good beer andf beats the hell out of bud. I am not a fan of Stella. I will take regular budweiser or bud light over it anyday.

Oblong
07-24-2010, 08:51 AM

so the beer geeks laugh at those who drink stella because they think they are being beer geeks too when the beer geeks know better? "Heh Heh.... look at them. They think they're like us. NOT. Snort Snort"

Stella is NOT the same thing as Coors or Miller. Not even close. No blind taste test would ever prove that out. The only thing they have in common is their looks. Stella has a distinct smell and aftertaste. I love the stuff. I'd drink it if it were non alcoholic for the flavor alone. But I do not drink beer to impres others or to tell a story. I drink what tastes good and satisfies me.

Nellie_Fox
07-25-2010, 12:55 AM
I do not drink beer to impres others or to tell a story. I drink what tastes good and satisfies me.:thumbsup:

LongLiveFisk
07-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Talking to beer vendors at the park, it sounds like $7 beer is the price point on the curve where people have started to say forget it. They say that even with the favorable weather sales are way down.

I absolutely understand the need for more revenue to pay salaries these days, but if you're making less by charging more, the bean counters may have to look at what people are willing to pay and adjust accordingly.

I am not a beer drinker so I guess I just don't get it, but I was starting to wonder where that threshold was going to be. I would think at some point, people have to say no. And unless they do, that price will keep going up. I am glad to hear people are starting to put the brakes on.

harwar
07-25-2010, 09:34 AM
i've been drinking Coors longnecks for 35 years .. one of the benefits to living in the rockies for me, was Coors, because i couldn't find it in Chicago back then .. when i used to travel a lot,i always tried the local beer where ever i was, including beer made from cow's blood and corn(if my memory is right) somewhere in southeast Africa .. also,had a $10.00 beer in Paris,and that was in 1983 ..

doublem23
07-25-2010, 09:36 AM
so the beer geeks laugh at those who drink stella because they think they are being beer geeks too when the beer geeks know better? "Heh Heh.... look at them. They think they're like us. NOT. Snort Snort"

Stella is NOT the same thing as Coors or Miller. Not even close. No blind taste test would ever prove that out. The only thing they have in common is their looks. Stella has a distinct smell and aftertaste. I love the stuff. I'd drink it if it were non alcoholic for the flavor alone. But I do not drink beer to impres others or to tell a story. I drink what tastes good and satisfies me.

That's basically what ilsox is saying, too, I think he's making fun of the people who drink Stella because they think it's some kind of status symbol (I drink a beer imported all the way from Europe... I'm obviously more sophisticated than you) when Stella basically is just a macrobrew like Bud or Miller.

Sort of how we laugh at the news that PBR is marketed as a top shelf American beer in China. It costs over $40 a bottle there (I am not making this **** up) and Chinese businessmen lap it up because they think they're being "authentically American."

FielderJones
07-25-2010, 10:44 AM
Sort of how we laugh at the news that PBR is marketed as a top shelf American beer in China. It costs over $40 a bottle there (I am not making this **** up) and Chinese businessmen lap it up because they think they're being "authentically American."

It's not quite the same PBR (http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/evanosnos/2010/07/pabst-in-china-continued.html) that's sold here, but still. $44 for a beer?! What'll ya have? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI_mZrLRl0I