PDA

View Full Version : Why do baseball players wear belts?

voodoochile
07-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Yeah, I know... To keep their pants up...

But why belts? Why not draw strings like other sports use? :scratch:

MARTINMVP
07-20-2010, 10:42 PM
In the 1993 Dennis the Menace movie, Margaret asked why boys have belly buttons. Dennis replied "so they don't look bad in bathing suits."

In all seriousness, I wish I had a good answer. I never thought of that question before, but now you got me curious too.

Dub25
07-20-2010, 10:54 PM
Yeah, I know... To keep their pants up...

But why belts? Why not draw strings like other sports use? :scratch:

I guess because it looks professional... :scratch:

doublem23
07-20-2010, 10:54 PM
Stylish. I think it's just tradition, just like why baseball players wear button up jerseys. You'd think for athletics, a pullover jersey would be tops, but those just don't look baseball.

voodoochile
07-20-2010, 10:57 PM
Stylish. I think it's just tradition, just like why baseball players wear button up jerseys. You'd think for athletics, a pullover jersey would be tops, but those just don't look baseball.

Good point. Probably dates back to Cricket - which has always been considered a gentleman's sport as all the sports invented in the UK are...

WhiteSox5187
07-20-2010, 11:01 PM
In the 1970s it certainly looked like the belt was on the way out in baseball. Pullovers are kind of making a come back in college ball and there is one style that has the top two buttons as real buttons, but then has buttons sewed on and gives the illusion of buttons. I think it makes more sense to have that as as a fielder you won't lose the ball in your shirt at least.

DSpivack
07-20-2010, 11:06 PM
Good point. Probably dates back to Cricket - which has always been considered a gentleman's sport as all the sports invented in the UK are...

Tennis, sure, but I'm not so sure about soccer.

WhiteSox5187
07-20-2010, 11:09 PM

I recall reading that almost every culture has had some form of soccer in its history. It was kind of "invented" everywhere.

voodoochile
07-20-2010, 11:13 PM

I recall reading that almost every culture has had some form of soccer in its history. It was kind of "invented" everywhere.

Yeah, I didn't think Soccer originated in the UK, but rugby did, so there goes that idea...:D:

TDog
07-20-2010, 11:17 PM
It's probably a matter of tradition. Baseball is the only major sport where the uniform resembles street clothes. Other sports have unifoms that sort of enhance their activities. A baseball coach wears a baseball uniform on the bench. It would seem ridiculous for basketball or football coach, who wasn't on the active player roster, to dress in the players' uniform.

The late-1970s White Sox uniforms that everyone thought were so ugly didn't have belts. A couple of players who wore them have told me they were the most comfortable uniforms they ever wore. America preferred the more traditional look.

october23sp
07-21-2010, 12:08 AM
I don't know but when I played high school ball (not like it was too long ago) sliding head first would always hurt me because my belt would dig into my waist. I'm not big either, if that matters as to why it hurt.

g0g0
07-21-2010, 07:54 AM
Yeah, I didn't think Soccer originated in the UK, but rugby did, so there goes that idea...:D:

I guess it depends on who's writing the history books. America was "discovered" how many times?

voodoochile
07-21-2010, 11:54 AM
I guess it depends on who's writing the history books. America was "discovered" how many times?

Once. Before that it was called something else...:tongue:

SephClone89
07-21-2010, 11:57 AM

Association football in its modern form can be attributed almost completely to Britain. For over a century in Britain, it has been a working class game. Definitely not a gentleman's game.

Rugby, on the other hand, is an upper-class game. It seems somewhat backwards, but it's the truth.

Red Barchetta
07-21-2010, 12:18 PM
I think most players prefer the ability to tighten their pants with belts vs. the "pretty close" feel of the button elastic snaps waistbands that were popular during the 70s/80s. I for one like the more traditional look of button down jerseys and belt-loop pants. I hope the trend continues and MLB doesn't go back to pull overs and elastic waist bands.

Paulwny
07-21-2010, 12:42 PM
http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/pants.htm

Malgar 12
07-21-2010, 08:07 PM

They both originated in England. (Athough many countries have had kicking games - perhaps even Ancient Greece) Soccer, that is Association football is an English invention...that's why they get so upset every four years when they don't win the World Cup. (It's like the USA and the basketball gold medal).

Bobby Thigpen
07-21-2010, 09:32 PM
Football players wear belts as well.

SBSoxFan
07-22-2010, 01:02 AM
Probably to make it harder for Steve Lyons to pull his pants down while on the playing field. :tongue:

Nellie_Fox
07-22-2010, 01:29 AM
Probably to make it harder for Steve Lyons to pull his pants down while on the playing field. :tongue:He was wearing a belt.

BhWEqWHllQA

SBSoxFan
07-22-2010, 07:36 PM
He was wearing a belt.

BhWEqWHllQA

Ha, that never gets old! For some reason, my memory has him in pants with an elastic waistband and snaps. :redface:

vinny
07-24-2010, 09:39 PM
Maybe to cover for the pitcher scraping the ball on the prong of the buckle?

EnglishChiSox
07-25-2010, 02:44 PM

In the old days cricketers just wore old dress shirts open at the neck, there really wasn't much fashion involved at all.

Railsplitter
07-27-2010, 09:29 AM
Better belts than suspenders!