PDA

View Full Version : Piniella Hangs It Up (After the Season)

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-20-2010, 01:22 PM
After this season, per the Score:

http://wscr.cbslocal.com/2010/07/20/lou-piniella-will-retire-after-this-season/

soltrain21
07-20-2010, 01:24 PM
He hung it up before this season started. I've been more involved in the Cubs' season than he has.

Marqhead
07-20-2010, 01:24 PM
I was prepared to be shocked by this happening in season, but after the season certainly makes sense for him.

Rockabilly
07-20-2010, 01:25 PM
it looks like he already gave up months ago. He pretty much cashed it in this year..

Viva Medias B's
07-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Didn't see this posted, so I'll post the breaking news that Cubs manager Lou Piniella will step down at the end of the year.

Link (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/2515460,lou-piniella-chicago-cubs-retire-20.article)

WhiteSox1989
07-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Saw this one coming, as others have said, he doesn't seem to interested in his ball club THIS year..

TomBradley72
07-20-2010, 01:34 PM
The Chicago Cubs, where managers careers or reputations come to an end.

Leo Durocher, Dusty Baker, Lou Piniella, Don Baylor...Jim Essian.

white sox bill
07-20-2010, 01:36 PM

Leo Durocher, Dusty Baker, Lou Piniella, Don Baylor...Jim Essian.
I guess thats what they mean by "Ivy covered burial ground"

tstrike2000
07-20-2010, 01:42 PM
Good for him, he's had several great seasons as a player and coach including the '90 Reds World Series champ team. Sounds like he made the decision a while ago, but managing this year's Cubs team would probably want to make a lot of people retire.

Mendoza Line
07-20-2010, 01:45 PM
In all fairness, Dusty is having a pretty good year with the Reds.

eriqjaffe
07-20-2010, 01:45 PM

Leo Durocher, Dusty Baker, Lou Piniella, Don Baylor...Jim Essian.Of course, Dusty's Reds are 1/2 game back of St. Louis right now, so...

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-20-2010, 01:51 PM
I posted it in Talking Baseball.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=121929

DumpJerry
07-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Both threads merged and placed in Talking Baseball since most of Lou's career in baseball has been away from the Cubs.

dwitt76
07-20-2010, 02:00 PM
No surprise here. Will Hendry get the axe at the end of the year?

TDog
07-20-2010, 02:04 PM
W.P. Kinsella wrote (maybe he was quoting, whatever) that Shoeless Joe Jackson's glove was where triples went to die.

The Cubs seem to be the team where baseball's most highly touted managers go to die, career-wise, although Dusty Baker seems to have recovered nicely.

HomeFish
07-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Riggleman may be making a comeback soon too. Dusty had a rough start in CIN.

Who replaces Pinella?

downstairs
07-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Link:

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/8590096/23298130?tag=mccBlogView;comBlogEntryListMiniCnt

downstairs
07-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Crap. I just posted this in What's The Score without checking here first (thought anything Cubbie related went there). Sorry about that- I guess you can merge?

g0g0
07-20-2010, 02:27 PM
Good - time to bring in someone who's fresh and ready to deal with this mess. I seriously hope it's Ryno but I'll take Girardi too due to him being linked before and also a former player.

Foulke You
07-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Good - time to bring in someone who's fresh and ready to deal with this mess. I seriously hope it's Ryno but I'll take Girardi too due to him being linked before and also a former player.
Cubs fans have a history of severely turning on their managers when things go south. Dusty We Trusty went out the window pretty quick as did the love for Pinella. If Sandberg is hired, it will be interesting to see how the fans treat him if the team continues to flounder under his watch. He is considered Cub royalty there so I wonder if they would give him a longer rope or if they would turn on him as well.

doublem23
07-20-2010, 02:44 PM

Who replaces Pinella?

Ryno

DirtySox
07-20-2010, 02:50 PM
[/URL][URL="http://twitter.com/Kevin_Goldstein"]http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/19750912/kgotto_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/Kevin_Goldstein) Kevin_Goldstein (http://twitter.com/Kevin_Goldstein)
If you think Ryne Sandberg is the managerial answer for the Cubs, you are still blinded by that home run off Bruce Sutter. 42 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/Kevin_Goldstein/status/19015404617) via TweetDeck (http://www.tweetdeck.com/)

^^^
This

ernie14
07-20-2010, 02:58 PM

Who replaces Pinella?

Mark Grace !!!! Slumpbuster:dtroll:

PaleHoser
07-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Who replaces Pinella?

Terry Bevington.

MeteorsSox4367
07-20-2010, 03:20 PM
After watching the Cubs give up the lead in the ninth on Saturday, I said to my Dad, "If Piniella isn't a drinker, he's going to start now with this team."

If I could ask one favor of Lou, could we have one more epic blowup before you retire? The "What Kind of Baseball..." one from earlier this season was entertaining. How about just one more?

As for his replacement, maybe Brenly as a darkhorse?

TDog
07-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Cubs fans have a history of severely turning on their managers when things go south. Dusty We Trusty went out the window pretty quick as did the love for Pinella. If Sandberg is hired, it will be interesting to see how the fans treat him if the team continues to flounder under his watch. He is considered Cub royalty there so I wonder if they would give him a longer rope or if they would turn on him as well.

Maybe they should streamline things and just name Sammy Sosa as their next manager.

(The joke being that Cubs fans have already turned on Sosa, but it works better as a joke if you figure that out on your own. I know this explanation is the equivalent of laughing at my own joke, but I fear some could take the post seriously otherwise, and teal might only confuse.)

BleacherBandit
07-20-2010, 03:24 PM
As for his replacment, maybe Brenly as a darkhorse?

I think a lot of people are assuming Brenly will be in the running. He's actually shown that he can lead a team to a WS.

I was listening to B&B an hour ago and they were complaining about the whole Ryne Sandberg idea; how there's no solid evidence that he would be considered and how he shouldn't be considered based on his minor-league track record because that's not necessarily a fair gauge.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Despite not being a Cub fan, I feel sorry for whoever walks into that mess.

That said, I'm in no big rush to watch them do better. :D:

soxinem1
07-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Another storied manager crippled by the historical futility of a cursed franchise.

I always liked Lou, just not in CHC blue.....

I think a lot of people are assuming Brenly will be in the running. He's actually shown that he can lead a team to a WS.

I was listening to B&B an hour ago and they were complaining about the whole Ryne Sandberg idea; how there's no solid evidence that he would be considered and how he shouldn't be considered based on his minor-league track record because that's not necessarily a fair gauge.

Never say never. Cito Gaston had a great career here as a manager, remember?? Just like Bobby Valentine was a 'shoo-in' for the FLA job.

Ozzie and Jerry Manuel were dark horses and ended up getting the job here, and no one saw it coming both times.

And regarding Sandberg, the cubs are just copying the White Sox in that 'Bringing Back Former Players As Managers/Coaches Throughout The Organization' thing.

Carneyman14
07-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Talk of Bob Brennley (sp?) too

g0g0
07-20-2010, 04:03 PM

If Ryno is hired then I hope they give him at least 3 years. By then most of the crippling contracts and underperforming players will be gone (most likely replaced with a fresh batch of the same hehe). I like Lou, but you can get a sense when the manager has given up or can't control the clubhouse. I just think Lou gave up.

white sox bill
07-20-2010, 04:03 PM
I could tell a while back Lou was ready to retire. He quite shaving, his hair looked a mess and he that "I don't give a crap" look.

I'm sure he's counting the days until he's golfing

thomas35forever
07-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Ryno, your seat in the Wrigley dugout is waiting.

ernie14
07-20-2010, 04:58 PM
Sandberg is an idiot. Has a terrible temper too. Most of his teammates hated him.

Arrogant creep. Was never good with the media.

Then again maybe the arrogant idiot is perfect for the job.

They deserve each other. Cool.

:bandance:

Dan H
07-20-2010, 05:16 PM
If I were in the Cubs organization, I wouldn't hire anyone that had any long term connection with the team in the past. Why hire someone who would know nothing about winning? Cub fans like that mushy stuff and that mentality will only lead to more losing.

Having said that, I say go ahead and hire Sandberg. If the team wants to turn 102 years in 105 and maybe more, I have no problem with that.

WSox597
07-20-2010, 05:17 PM

Why in the world would Joe Girardi leave NY and come to the Cubs? He'd have to be out of his mind to leave the world champions, to come to the Cubs.

Come on, quit dreaming.

I always liked Piniella when he was a player, I thought he was losing it when he took that job. He had a nice cushy announcing job, and then he thought, "hey, why don't I take the Cubs job? What could go wrong?"

Rockabilly
07-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Why in the world would Joe Girardi leave NY and come to the Cubs? He'd have to be out of his mind to leave the world champions, to come to the Cubs.

Come on, quit dreaming.

I always liked Piniella when he was a player, I thought he was losing it when he took that job. He had a nice cushy announcing job, and then he thought, "hey, why don't I take the Cubs job? What could go wrong?"

maybe Giradi wants the challenge of trying to get the Cubs to the World Series.

SOXSINCE'70
07-20-2010, 06:56 PM
Of course, Dusty's Reds are 1/2 game back of St. Louis right now, so...

How long till Johnny Cueto and Edison Volquez's arms fall off?? :scratch:

Just asking.We all know Dusty doesn't "trusty" his 'pen.

SOXSINCE'70
07-20-2010, 07:00 PM
Favorite Pinella moment:
1992 - Pinella has to be seperated from Rob Dibble
in a locker room scuffle.

g0g0
07-20-2010, 07:17 PM

Come on, quit dreaming.

maybe Giradi wants the challenge of trying to get the Cubs to the World Series.

I think that's exactly what it is. Remember, the Cubs have a new owner and anyone who takes them to the WS win will be immortalized

JB98
07-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Doesn't matter who they hire as manager, since they are going to keep Hendry as GM. He'll hand the new manager another lame roster next year, and the Cubs will keep on sucking.

Brian26
07-20-2010, 07:55 PM
My favorite part of the press conference was when Ricketts explained what goes into building a winning baseball team. I'm not sure how having your dad purchase a franchise for you makes you an authority on building a winning ballclub, but apparently Ricketts is.

ernie14
07-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Bobby Valentine :rolleyes:

Dan H
07-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Favorite Pinella moment:
1992 - Pinella has to be seperated from Rob Dibble
in a locker room scuffle.

That is my favorite Lou P moment, too. Anyone who wants to choke Rob Dibble is all right in my book. If that happened today, I'd vote to make it rate on ESPN's best plays.

MARTINMVP
07-20-2010, 09:38 PM
My favorite part of the press conference was when Ricketts explained what goes into building a winning baseball team. I'm not sure how having your dad purchase a franchise for you makes you an authority on building a winning ballclub, but apparently Ricketts is.

I thought Ricketts came across well in the introductory press conference after the sale became official. Since then, not so much. He hasn't exactly come across as being baseball smart. I have to agree with that more, especially today after pretty much committing to Jim Hendry for next year. :?:

Cub fans have been wanting Ricketts to speak up more this year, in light of the team's misfortunes. A month ago, when it was believed he was vacationing in Africa (which was partially true), some of the fans were livid that he would dare do such a thing while the team is playing so bad. I didn't quite understand that logic to be honest.

Mohoney
07-21-2010, 03:50 AM
Another storied manager crippled by the historical futility of a cursed franchise.

Exactly how "storied" is his career? It seems like a bunch of regular season wins and October failures to me. Piniella has gotten an AWFUL lot of mileage from ONE 20-year-old accomplishment.

Let's put it this way: if Ozzie fails to win another World Series before 2025, but racks up 2000 more regular series wins, would he be looked at the same way? I doubt it. I would think that he would be gone long before that could happen.

Mohoney
07-21-2010, 03:55 AM
Cub fans have been wanting Ricketts to speak up more this year, in light of the team's misfortunes. A month ago, when it was believed he was vacationing in Africa (which was partially true), some of the fans were livid that he would dare do such a thing while the team is playing so bad. I didn't quite understand that logic to be honest.

Ricketts is going to make Cub fans miss the Tribune. They bought that team SOLELY for the profit margin.

VMSNS
07-21-2010, 06:31 AM
http://susanshan.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/lou-piniella.jpg

Bob Roarman
07-21-2010, 07:26 AM
I think that's exactly what it is. Remember, the Cubs have a new owner and anyone who takes them to the WS win will be immortalized

It's a ridiculous notion. Unless something absolutely crazy happens, Girardi isn't going anywhere.

TheOldRoman
07-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Exactly how "storied" is his career? It seems like a bunch of regular season wins and October failures to me. Piniella has gotten an AWFUL lot of mileage from ONE 20-year-old accomplishment.

Let's put it this way: if Ozzie fails to win another World Series before 2025, but racks up 2000 more regular series wins, would he be looked at the same way? I doubt it. I would think that he would be gone long before that could happen.I was talking about that with a friend yesterday. Lou won a title in 1990, was manager of the year a few times in Seattle, including tying the all-time wins record, and failed to even win a pennant despite having Griffey, A-Roid, and Randy Johnson for many of thos years. After leaving Seattle, he went to Tampa to build up the franchise (didn't happen) and then the Cubs to ressurect them (didn'y happen). I know he is widely considered a hall of fame manager, but I am not so convinced. His resume was tarnished with the Devil Rays and Cubs. Many wins, only one title. Nothing to scoff at, but not worthy of accolades. To me he looks like a longer-tenured Jack McKeon.

TheOldRoman
07-21-2010, 04:00 PM
It's a ridiculous notion. Unless something absolutely crazy happens, Girardi isn't going anywhere.Soon enough the Yankees will go 2-3 years without winning a championship and Girardi will be run out of town. He will still be a hot commodity at that point. Maybe he would go to the Cubs then, but there is no way he is leaving the Yankees at this point in his career. He might get mystified by the "aura" of winning a title with the Cubs after many years have passed and he has won several titles, but right now he is young, getting highly paid and actually winning in NY.

MARTINMVP
07-21-2010, 11:42 PM
Soon enough the Yankees will go 2-3 years without winning a championship and Girardi will be run out of town. He will still be a hot commodity at that point. Maybe he would go to the Cubs then, but there is no way he is leaving the Yankees at this point in his career. He might get mystified by the "aura" of winning a title with the Cubs after many years have passed and he has won several titles, but right now he is young, getting highly paid and actually winning in NY.

Hub and Hanley were talking about this on the Score this morning. I think it was Hub who had the gall to say that he is pretty sure Girardi would want to come to the Cubs? He based this off the fact that his wife and family is from Chicago and that he really loved his time as a Cub. Sounds logical. So did the idea that Johnny Damon's wife would have a better life shopping in Chicago as opposed to Detroit, or Dwayne Wade being closer to his children by going to the Bulls instead of Miami. Oops!

MARTINMVP
08-22-2010, 10:44 AM
According to MLBTradeRumors.com... after today's game:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/08/piniella-to-step-down-after-todays-game.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Quitter!

Over By There
08-22-2010, 10:45 AM
The Score is reporting that Lou is done after today's game.

sox1970
08-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Mike Quade interim manager,

sox1970
08-22-2010, 10:52 AM
He's old.
His mother is older.
The team is bad and going nowhere.

It's the right thing to do. He should have left for good when he visited his mother a couple weeks ago.

Over By There
08-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Score also reports that Alan Trammell will not be considered for manager next year, FWIW.

MARTINMVP
08-22-2010, 10:59 AM
Leaving for family reasons?
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/08/cubs-piniella-to-step-down-after-sundays-game.html

I hate spin jobs. Come on Lou, be better than that. If the team was in a different position and had a chance or was contending for the post season, you would not be leaving for family reasons.

I don't expect him to tell people he's leaving because he's bored sitting in a hapless dugout each day... at least spin it by saying that by leaving now, the Cubs can try something new now and see if the players respond to someone else's direction. A LOT more respectable than the typical family reasons. I hate that.

And I don't make this post as a former Cubs fan. I never did warm up to his hiring. Them passing on Joe Girardi was the second "final straw" that broke Cubdom for me after the 2004 season.

getonbckthr
08-22-2010, 11:05 AM
So they told Trammel he isnt being considered? Fire him now as well. Why have Quade be Interim? Just bring up Ryno. Half of the Cubs are rookies anyways.

Coops4Aces
08-22-2010, 11:10 AM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/08/cubs-piniella-to-step-down-after-sundays-game.html

I hate spin jobs. Come on Lou, be better than that. If the team was in a different position and had a chance or was contending for the post season, you would not be leaving for family reasons.

I don't expect him to tell people he's leaving because he's bored sitting in a hapless dugout each day... at least spin it by saying that by leaving now, the Cubs can try something new now and see if the players respond to someone else's direction. A LOT more respectable than the typical family reasons. I hate that.

And I don't make this post as a former Cubs fan. I never did warm up to his hiring. Them passing on Joe Girardi was the second "final straw" that broke Cubdom for me after the 2004 season.

His mom is sick. He took time off a week or two ago. No reason for him to stay, he should go be with her.

Over By There
08-22-2010, 11:24 AM

Disagree. Look at it from the other side - he has family issues to attend to and the team isn't going anywhere. What is the point of sticking around?

ewokpelts
08-22-2010, 11:25 AM
his mom's real sick. i doubt he even cares about baseball right now.

i suspected he was already axed, but the cubs let him ride out the season out of respect. but his uncle just died(who he was close to), and now his mom's in bad health.

that said, sandberg is all but guranteed to be manager.

GoGoCrede
08-22-2010, 11:28 AM
I really can't begrudge him leaving - I would too if my family was having serious issues like that.

All in all, I liked Lou, and I hope his family recovers. Cubs weren't going anywhere this year.

voodoochile
08-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Sorry about your Mom, Lou. You only get one of them and losing them is very tough. You'll never regret being with her at the end.

GoGoCrede
08-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Sorry about your Mom, Lou. You only get one of them and losing them is very tough. You'll never regret being with her at the end.

:(: You're completely right. I do hope he doesn't get a lot of flack from people for not waiting till the end of the season.

jdm2662
08-22-2010, 11:48 AM

From someone who buried a parent at 22 when he was just 45, I don't exactly fault him leaving to be with his sick mother. Believe it or not, there are more important things in life than baseball. Now, would he leave the team if the team was contending? Probably not. But, there is no reason to stick around when the team is going nowhere.

delben91
08-22-2010, 12:57 PM
From someone who buried a parent at 22 when he was just 45, I don't exactly fault him leaving to be with his sick mother. Believe it or not, there are more important things in life than baseball. Now, would he leave the team if the team was contending? Probably not. But, there is no reason to stick around when the team is going nowhere.

Sadly, there are a lot of fans that will disagree with that statement.

All the best to you and yours Lou...

russ99
08-22-2010, 01:16 PM
I hate the Cubs and their usual media spin, but this just seems like the right thing to do.

Why should Lou go through the motions for the next month, when he can spend time with his sick mother?

GlassSox
08-22-2010, 01:43 PM
His mom is sick. He took time off a week or two ago. No reason for him to stay, he should go be with her.

I agree! Sometimes one has to get their priorities correct. Good luck Lou.

Viva Medias B's
08-22-2010, 02:27 PM
Thank you, Lou, and our best wishes for your mother.

Marqhead
08-22-2010, 03:33 PM
The Cubs are really putting on a good show for Lou's last game. That last half inning was hilarious.

russ99
08-22-2010, 03:45 PM
The Cubs are really putting on a good show for Lou's last game. That last half inning was hilarious.

I dunno, that play on Thursday where nobody covered home pretty much takes the cake.

Marqhead
08-22-2010, 03:48 PM
I dunno, that play on Thursday where nobody covered home pretty much takes the cake.

Keystone Cops today. This is great.

Viva Medias B's
08-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Keystone Cops today. This is great.

Falcons 14, Bears 3 (4th Quarter)

cub killer
08-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Watching Lou Pinialla cry right now makes me wish even more that Ozzie Guillen would eventually become our Joe Paterno.

Coops4Aces
08-22-2010, 04:40 PM
I feel bad for Lou. He's in a tough spot right now.

white sox bill
08-22-2010, 04:45 PM
Damn Mrs P must be getting up there, I wonder how old she is? At least Lou has his priorities right. I remember when my Mom was on her deathbed, I couldn't be with her enough.

Go Lou, your doing the right thing.....

DickAllen72
08-22-2010, 04:52 PM
Prayers for Lou Piniella and family. God bless you, Lou and your Mom.

BringHomeDaBacon
08-22-2010, 06:39 PM
**** the Cubs Lou. You are better than that anyway. Enjoy your time with Moms.

ernie14
08-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Best of everything Sweet Lou.

You can always come back to baseball in one way or another, a broadcaster

or whatever you choose. You can always come back to baseball but you

only have one mom. I lost my beautiful mom 5 years ago and it still

hurts.

All the best to you and your family Lou.

doublem23
08-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Spending everyday with your ailing mother is more fun than watching the Cubs everyday, anyway.

Bob Roarman
08-22-2010, 09:03 PM

GoGoCrede
08-22-2010, 09:09 PM
Best of everything Sweet Lou.

You can always come back to baseball in one way or another, a broadcaster

or whatever you choose. You can always come back to baseball but you

only have one mom. I lost my beautiful mom 5 years ago and it still

hurts.

All the best to you and your family Lou.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother. :(: I lost my dad when I was younger and I still think about him every day.

Frankly, if I was Lou, I might have left even sooner than this. **** all the Cubs fans who are berating him for his choice.

LongLiveFisk
08-22-2010, 09:14 PM
It's hard to watch a man cry. :(:

Good luck, Lou. I am hoping for the best for your mom.

GoGoCrede
08-22-2010, 09:18 PM
It's hard to watch a man cry. :(:

Good luck, Lou. I am hoping for the best for your mom.

Re-posting it in case anyone didn't see it: Video (http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5483775) of Piniella's postgame comments. I really don't care about the Cubs organization, but I like Lou and I honestly teared up watching this. I wish he'd been given a better sendoff than the 16-5 loss.

g0g0
08-23-2010, 08:05 AM
Lou doesn't owe anyone anything in baseball. He's had a great career as both a player and manager. If the man wants to spend time with his ailing mother then so be it. I would begrudge anyone doing that. Life's too short and this is just a game after all.

Best of luck Lou. Thanks for leading us to 2 playoffs in 2 of your 4 years.

:tiphat:

TheOldRoman
08-23-2010, 08:57 AM
I heard on the radio this morning that some Cubs fans where whining "I wonder if he would have retired now if the Cubs were in first place." No **** he wouldn't have (although he might have taken a leave). He could have accomplished something by winning a World Series, but there is nothing to accomplish other than overtake Houston for fourth place. He is been around a long time. The Cubs are a joke and a laughingstock, this year an always. The ONLY reason for someone like him to finish out the season would be because he wanted the extra money from his contract.

What difference does it make if it is Lou Piniella or someone else watching the Cubs lose by 11? At least in stepping down he is giving a coach what will likely be his only shot to ever manage in the bigs. Sure, the Cubs are awful, but I think Quade will cherish the 5 weeks he spent watching the Cubs win at a .300 clip. There is nothing here to criticize Lou about.

PatK
08-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Ricketts is going to make Cub fans miss the Tribune. They bought that team SOLELY for the profit margin.

I've been saying that from Day 1.

They didn't get rich by being dumb businessmen.

Notice the only time you hear anything from them is when they are adding a new revenue stream or combating rooftop owners?

beasly213
08-23-2010, 11:35 AM
I heard on the radio this morning that some Cubs fans where whining "I wonder if he would have retired now if the Cubs were in first place." No **** he wouldn't have (although he might have taken a leave). He could have accomplished something by winning a World Series, but there is nothing to accomplish other than overtake Houston for fourth place. He is been around a long time. The Cubs are a joke and a laughingstock, this year an always. The ONLY reason for someone like him to finish out the season would be because he wanted the extra money from his contract.

What difference does it make if it is Lou Piniella or someone else watching the Cubs lose by 11? At least in stepping down he is giving a coach what will likely be his only shot to ever manage in the bigs. Sure, the Cubs are awful, but I think Quade will cherish the 5 weeks he spent watching the Cubs win at a .300 clip. There is nothing here to criticize Lou about.

Bull****. He checked out on his team a while ago and should have just stepped down when he announced his retirment for the end of the year. He is leaving the sinking ship just like he did in Tampa. The guy hasn't won a damn thing since 1990 and just because he cried yesterday everyone is trying to remember him fondly and focus on what a great character he was instead of remembering his teams blew it in 07 and 08 and were even worse in 09 and 10 despite having good teams on paper both those years.

TheOldRoman
08-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Bull****. He checked out on his team a while ago and should have just stepped down when he announced his retirment for the end of the year. He is leaving the sinking ship just like he did in Tampa. The guy hasn't won a damn thing since 1990 and just because he cried yesterday everyone is trying to remember him fondly and focus on what a great character he was instead of remembering his teams blew it in 07 and 08 and were even worse in 09 and 10 despite having good teams on paper both those years.I meant in terms of him leaving now, not his entire time with the Cubs. I don't think he has done a very good job with the Cubs, and I have posted before that this "potential HOF" thing people are throwing around may be a bit of a stretch. I think he did check out early in the season and has pretty much collected paychecks this year. That being said, I don't know if the Cubs would have won any more games had he punted 3rd base a few times. My point wasn't about his managerial accument, just about Cubs fans getting ticked off that he left now and complaining he would have finished the year out if the Cubs were in first. There is no point for him to finish the season.

beasly213
08-23-2010, 12:17 PM
I meant in terms of him leaving now, not his entire time with the Cubs. I don't think he has done a very good job with the Cubs, and I have posted before that this "potential HOF" thing people are throwing around may be a bit of a stretch. I think he did check out early in the season and has pretty much collected paychecks this year. That being said, I don't know if the Cubs would have won any more games had he punted 3rd base a few times. My point wasn't about his managerial accument, just about Cubs fans getting ticked off that he left now and complaining he would have finished the year out if the Cubs were in first. There is no point for him to finish the season.

There absolutley is a point to finishing the season. By that logic every team who isn't making the playoffs this year should just stop playing the games and the managers should all go home. Everyone has familes they want to be with but this is there job and they should finish.

Lou has a lot of baseball knowledge and he could share that with the young players on the team to help them going forward.

TheOldRoman
08-23-2010, 12:30 PM
There absolutley is a point to finishing the season. By that logic every team who isn't making the playoffs this year should just stop playing the games and the managers should all go home. Everyone has familes they want to be with but this is there job and they should finish.

Lou has a lot of baseball knowledge and he could share that with the young players on the team to help them going forward.It is a combination of circumstances. Obviously this is his last year and the Cubs are horrible. Under normal circumstances I would say he should sit in his own mess for the rest of the year. However, it appears his mom is on her deathbed. The only analogy for a player would be if the player was in his 40's, horrible, on an awful team but still playing while announcing his retirement at the end of the season. In that situation I would say it was okay for him to walk away a month early to be with his dying mother, also.

SOXfnNlansing
08-23-2010, 12:52 PM
I wonder what people will say when Lou shows up in October on FOX doing playoff broadcasts and his mother is still alive? Not trying to be insensative, but it's hard for baseball 'lifers' to leave the big stage when opportunities are given. I know why he gave up the opportunity the cubs have given him to finish out the year (because they suck). We will see.

GoGoCrede
08-23-2010, 01:12 PM

Lou has a lot of baseball knowledge and he could share that with the young players on the team to help them going forward.

But not everyone has a family member who is sick or dying. Jeez, cut him some slack.

Bob Roarman
08-23-2010, 01:21 PM
It is a combination of circumstances. Obviously this is his last year and the Cubs are horrible. Under normal circumstances I would say he should sit in his own mess for the rest of the year. However, it appears his mom is on her deathbed. The only analogy for a player would be if the player was in his 40's, horrible, on an awful team but still playing while announcing his retirement at the end of the season. In that situation I would say it was okay for him to walk away a month early to be with his dying mother, also.

....Huh? Maybe I just don't quite understand what you're saying but I'd say it would be okay for anyone in any circumstance to drop what they're doing and be with their dying mom. Even if that player was the MVP in his prime on a first place team going into the playoffs, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Who are we to judge something like that? That's his mom. It's his mom or his job. Anyone here that has the ability to walk away from their job without (financial) worry to be with their dying mother and say they wouldn't do that is a liar.

TheOldRoman
08-23-2010, 01:36 PM
....Huh? Maybe I just don't quite understand what you're saying but I'd say it would be okay for anyone in any circumstance to drop what they're doing and be with their dying mom. Even if that player was the MVP in his prime on a first place team going into the playoffs, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Who are we to judge something like that? That's his mom. It's his mom or his job. Anyone here that has the ability to walk away from their job without (financial) worry to be with their dying mother and say they wouldn't do that is a liar.That is what I meant, I worded it poorly. His mother dying is reason enough to leave now, and it isn't like he is doing much good sitting on the bench.

ComiskeyBrewer
08-23-2010, 01:37 PM
....Huh? Maybe I just don't quite understand what you're saying but I'd say it would be okay for anyone in any circumstance to drop what they're doing and be with their dying mom. Even if that player was the MVP in his prime on a first place team going into the playoffs, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Who are we to judge something like that? That's his mom. It's his mom or his job. Anyone here that has the ability to walk away from their job without (financial) worry to be with their dying mother and say they wouldn't do that is a liar.

This is spot on. Too often people forget that those in the spotlight aren't emotionless robots, they are people. If my mother was dieing, there would be no way i would be able to focus at work, heck, i'd probably be a wreck. None of us know how close to death she is, or any of the intimate details here, so we cannot fully understand his rationale for leaving this exact moment. Is it possible that Lou would do broadcasts for FOX in october? Sure, just like it's possible his mother gets better in that time period, or because he had come to terms with his mother's fate. Criticize him all you want for being an overrated manager who has lived off of 1990 and the seattle job, that's perfectly justified. IMO, i think he deserves a pass right now. The guy lost an uncle and soon to be his mother in a very short period of time. I'm sure he's in no way mentally available to manage a major league team, or really do much else than grieve.

g0g0
08-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Bull****. He checked out on his team a while ago and should have just stepped down when he announced his retirment for the end of the year. He is leaving the sinking ship just like he did in Tampa. The guy hasn't won a damn thing since 1990 and just because he cried yesterday everyone is trying to remember him fondly and focus on what a great character he was instead of remembering his teams blew it in 07 and 08 and were even worse in 09 and 10 despite having good teams on paper both those years.

Good teams onn paper sure, but they are realizing that some of those heavyweight contracts had a breakout year and couldn't follow it up. Lee, Ramirez, Soriano, Theriot, Zambrano, Lilly, Dempster, etc. were all on those teams. Their roster hasn't changed that much. 2010 to me is just the players not getting it done. Plain and simple. Lou's 2 playoff years might be a bust, but they still account for 1/3 of the Cubs postseason showings since 1945.

beasly213
08-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Good teams onn paper sure, but they are realizing that some of those heavyweight contracts had a breakout year and couldn't follow it up. Lee, Ramirez, Soriano, Theriot, Zambrano, Lilly, Dempster, etc. were all on those teams. Their roster hasn't changed that much. 2010 to me is just the players not getting it done. Plain and simple. Lou's 2 playoff years might be a bust, but they still account for 1/3 of the Cubs postseason showings since 1945.

Who cares?
This team was built to win the world series. Not win divisions win the ****ing world series. And lou was brought in to make it happen and he didn't do it.

beasly213
08-23-2010, 01:56 PM
But not everyone has a family member who is sick or dying. Jeez, cut him some slack.

I'm sure if you look around the league there are plenty of players/coaches who have sick family members during the season and yes they take a few days to tend to them.

Lou should have just quit earlier when he announced his retirement a few weeks ago.

g0g0
08-23-2010, 03:02 PM
Who cares?
This team was built to win the world series. Not win divisions win the ****ing world series. And lou was brought in to make it happen and he didn't do it.

I care. So do you about the Sox I'm sure. Yes, the goal is the WS, but it's hard to get there. Sox won it all in '05 and haven't gotten close again yet. You have to peak at the right time. Well, unless your team name is the Yankees.

g0g0
08-23-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm sure if you look around the league there are plenty of players/coaches who have sick family members during the season and yes they take a few days to tend to them.

Lou should have just quit earlier when he announced his retirement a few weeks ago.

Maybe his mother took a turn for the worse? Who knows? Sick is one thing, dying is another. If she passes in 2 weeks and he comes back in October to the broadcast booth, then that's up to him.

downstairs
08-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Sheeeesh some insensitive people on here.

He's doing absolutely nothing on the Cubs bench. He already announced that he's not part of their 2011 plans- so its not like he's all that invested in scouting/trying out new things for next year. The Cubs are totally out of it, so he's just filling out lineup cards and napping on the bench (that's not a criticism- I would be too).

He has the means to be with his mom, so he ought to be with his mom. It's the right thing to do.

GoGoCrede
08-23-2010, 03:49 PM

That's their prerogative. I don't think they're wrong for staying, or wrong for leaving. My point is that each person deals with sickness/death differently, and it's bad form, IMO, to give Lou grief for leaving/staying/not leaving earlier.

beasly213
08-23-2010, 06:09 PM
That's their prerogative. I don't think they're wrong for staying, or wrong for leaving. My point is that each person deals with sickness/death differently, and it's bad form, IMO, to give Lou grief for leaving/staying/not leaving earlier.

I'm not giving him grief for leaving because of his mom. I'm giving him **** because he should have just left much earlier. Instead by sticking around kind of sort of he has screwed over the Cubs even more.
All of this "He wasn't doing anything on the bench anyway" talk is ridiculous. If he wasn't doing anything on the bench then why the hell is he the manager?! Just because the team is struggling doesn't mean there isn't progress that can be made going forward.

beasly213
08-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Sheeeesh some insensitive people on here.

He's doing absolutely nothing on the Cubs bench. He already announced that he's not part of their 2011 plans- so its not like he's all that invested in scouting/trying out new things for next year. The Cubs are totally out of it, so he's just filling out lineup cards and napping on the bench (that's not a criticism- I would be too).

He has the means to be with his mom, so he ought to be with his mom. It's the right thing to do.

Yes, he should be with his mom. But he should have just left much earlier.

soxfanreggie
08-23-2010, 08:54 PM
I feel for Lou as I would with anyone in his position with his Mother. As for the HOF argument, I don't put him in. He had a few good seasons as manager, but he's not far over .500 with a decent playing career (one AS selection, '69 ROY, 2 WS titles as a player).

As far as his WS as a manager, he won with a team he didn't build. His 116-win team didn't even win the ALCS, and his NL playoff run when he won manager of the year was very short-lived. Sure he won with the Mariners and other managers haven't, but it's not like he didn't have great players on his rosters there or a highly compensated team with the Cubs.

Ex-Chicagoan
08-24-2010, 09:17 AM
I took time off to be with my mother before she died. It just didn't make the paper.