PDA

View Full Version : John Heyman ranks the 24 players that might be traded.

Rockabilly
07-19-2010, 04:16 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jon_heyman/07/19/position.players/index.html?eref=writers

My wish is for the Sox to get Fielder or Dunn.

this is for the position players

Rockabilly
07-19-2010, 04:19 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jon_heyman/07/15/pitchers.market/index.html

the pitchers

mjmcend
07-19-2010, 04:31 PM
My wish is for the Sox to get Fielder or Dunn.

this is for the position players

I don't believe we have prospects needed to get either without giving up someone from the majors (i.e. Beckham). On that list I think Adam LaRoche makes the most sense followed by Scott and Cantu.

BleacherBandit
07-19-2010, 04:35 PM
Who else here wouldn't be very excited in the Sox acquiring Dunn this season?

I'd LOVE to see Cantu in a Sox uniform, although I know it's not going to happen. He'd fit in perfectly with our situation next year.

mjmcend
07-19-2010, 04:39 PM

Depends on the price. Behind Fielder, he is the best option for the White Sox this year. However, if the rumored asking price (Beckham + prospects) is true, I would rather go after something cheaper that won't mortgage the future for a run in a year where we are not the best team in the league.

Tragg
07-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Dunn is a .5 year rent; Fielder, with Boras, is a 1.5 year rent. Pass on both.
To go all in with this team is folly.

kittle42
07-19-2010, 05:43 PM
To go all in with this team is folly.

But, but, but...Teahen will be back soon!

Pablo_Honey
07-19-2010, 06:26 PM
But, but, but...Teahen will be back soon!
Who is this Teahen you speak of? Could it be THE Mark Teahen? Last time I checked, there is no way Kenny would have given up two former top farmhands for a crap third baseman and then give him an expensive exten...Oh wait...

tm1119
07-19-2010, 09:08 PM
Who is this Teahen you speak of? Could it be THE Mark Teahen? Last time I checked, there is no way Kenny would have given up two former top farmhands for a crap third baseman and then give him an expensive exten...Oh wait...

A. We gave up nothing for Teahen. Fields is still not in the majors, and Getz is hitting .233 with no real tools to speak of.
B. Teahen is not in anyway expensive. He was going to get the money we gave him in arbitration regardless, all KW did was guarantee it.
C. Teahen had 137 AB's this year. Lets not write him off quite yet. Plus, we should be hoping for him to get back as he is still a much better hitter than Kotsay. Im hoping Ozzie is smart enough to keep the lineup the way it was for the winning streaks and just replace Kotsay with Teahen.

mjmcend
07-19-2010, 09:17 PM
A. We gave up nothing for Teahen. Fields is still not in the majors, and Getz is hitting .233 with no real tools to speak of.
B. Teahen is not in anyway expensive. He was going to get the money we gave him in arbitration regardless, all KW did was guarantee it.
C. Teahen had 137 AB's this year. Lets not write him off quite yet. Plus, we should be hoping for him to get back as he is still a much better hitter than Kotsay. Im hoping Ozzie is smart enough to keep the lineup the way it was for the winning streaks and just replace Kotsay with Teahen.

There in lies the problem. If he didn't sign him to an extension we could have handed him his walking papers at the end of the year with no harm and no foul.

tm1119
07-19-2010, 09:40 PM
There in lies the problem. If he didn't sign him to an extension we could have handed him his walking papers at the end of the year with no harm and no foul.

Again, its early. He makes 10 mil total in '11 and '12. He really doesnt have to do much to earn that. If he hits .270 with 15 hr's he is more than worth the 5 mil he will make, and hes more than capable of doing that. Lets give him a little more time before we deem him worthy of cutting. Our entire offense was awful when he was in the lineup. Plus, that 10 mil will in no way affect our franchise. Its pocket change in the grand scheme of things.

sullythered
07-19-2010, 09:45 PM

I'd LOVE to see Cantu in a Sox uniform, although I know it's not going to happen. He'd fit in perfectly with our situation next year.

Really? Adam Dunn is about a billion times better hitter than Cantu.

y2j2785
07-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Really? Adam Dunn is about a billion times better hitter than Cantu.

I'd take Cantu because he wouldn't be as pricey as Dunn and he can play 1B and 3B.

sullythered
07-19-2010, 10:51 PM
I'd take Cantu because he wouldn't be as pricey as Dunn and he can play 1B and 3B.

Yeah, but the reason Dunn is pricey is because he's way better.

mjmcend
07-20-2010, 08:23 AM
Again, its early. He makes 10 mil total in '11 and '12. He really doesnt have to do much to earn that. If he hits .270 with 15 hr's he is more than worth the 5 mil he will make, and hes more than capable of doing that. Lets give him a little more time before we deem him worthy of cutting. Our entire offense was awful when he was in the lineup. Plus, that 10 mil will in no way affect our franchise. Its pocket change in the grand scheme of things.

Again if we didn't sign him to a long term deal we could have made the decision after the year and on a year-by-year basis. His fielding at 3rd leaves a lot to be desired and even if he gets up to your projection, that is nowhere near enough offense from the 1b or OF. Outside of 2006 he has been below average in every year and while that $5 million a year is not a ton, combine that with Jenks $8 million hopefully coming off the books and the Sox can sign a real, above average major league player.

doublem23
07-20-2010, 08:30 AM

My friend who is a Rays fan assures me Cantu can "play" 1B and 3B because he knows how to stand there and wave at balls that pass him by.

khan
07-20-2010, 09:28 AM
Yeah, but the reason Dunn is pricey is because he's way better.

So what? If the idea is to IMPROVE the team for a postseason run, who gives a rip? Tell us: How can the team IMPROVE, if KW would have to trade away Beckham and perhaps Hudson to get Dunn?

Apparently, washington wants KW to GUT the team to get a half-year out of Dunn. KW is RIGHT to refuse to do this.

PatK
07-20-2010, 10:56 AM
I'd take almost every outfielder on that list

hawkjt
07-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Looking at those lists...yawn. Honestly, I do not want Kenny to make a deal just to look busy. This team has won 27 of their last 35...can they seriously upgrade that performance..guaranteed?

I see their needs as a lefty bat and a lefty reliever.
Those could be filled by a healthy Teahen and Chris Sales...from within.
Would that disapoint me? Not at all. I like our good trading pieces..from Beckham to Viciedo to Lillibridge to Hudson to Mitchell. If it aint broke...do not ruin our future trying to fix it.