PDA

View Full Version : Who are some of the lower-end trade possibilities?

Harry Chappas
07-19-2010, 09:56 AM
I've seen names like Dunn and Fielder thrown out there, but I don't think we have the farm system or depth to get either without robbing Peter to pay Paul. But, as Stone pointed out on the Score this morning, this division may be won by the GM who makes the best move.

So who are some realistc names that might be an upgrade [gasp] over the Kotsay/Jones/Teaham triumvirate?

khan
07-19-2010, 10:06 AM
I've seen names like Dunn and Fielder thrown out there, but I don't think we have the farm system or depth to get either without robbing Peter to pay Paul. But, as Stone pointed out on the Score this morning, this division may be one by the GM who makes the best move.

So who are some realistc names that might be an upgrade [gasp] over the Kotsay/Jones/Teaham triumvirate?

You got "triumvirate" correct, but confused "one" for "won?"

All kidding aside, I really don't know. This was an issue that should have been solved in the offseason, rather than now.

Taken another way, I'm not sure this team is worth further denuding the minor league system for a run at it. I simply have a hard time envisioning a single player that could put THIS team over the top to win the WS. Even IF the SOX could add Dunn or Fielder, I still would tend to believe that the yankees would likely beat the SOX in the playoffs. There are too many holes to plug to turn this team into a WS favorite, and not enough resources to move to fix them.

But to your question, I'd ask Houston what they would want for the SOX to take on Berkman's contract for the rest of the season. If it's reasonable, I might make that move.

TomParrish79
07-19-2010, 07:03 PM
I'm afraid we're stuck with Kotsay

Domeshot17
07-19-2010, 07:42 PM
Laroche still makes the most sense for us. He shouldn't cost a ton, is a MASSSIIIVVVEEEEEE upgrade over Kotsay, and hes been a solid 2nd half contributor over his career.

tm1119
07-19-2010, 08:56 PM
Luke Scott is nothing special but of course is still better than Kotsay.

And I know he wasnt a popular option here before the season, but Ill bring his name up again. Jack Cust. In 170 PA's so far this season hes got a .287/.388/.441 line. He would more or less cost nothing, just saying....

Lillian
07-20-2010, 07:51 AM
This thread is asking the right question. The Sox don't really need the kind of production from a LH hitter that they would get from a Dunn or a Fielder. What they need is a LH presence in the middle of the lineup.
He doesn't have to carry the offense. There are plenty of capable hitters in the Sox lineup. Rios, Quentin, Konerko, Beckham, Ramirez, and even Jones can all produce. The problem is that they're all right handed.
I've been saying it consistently; "they need a LH hitter to hit clean up, or 5th".

I'd prefer someone just one grade above Teahen to fill that role. I suggested Jim Edmonds, just for 3 months, probably the last 3 of his career, but wouldn't he do? He's still fit enough for DH duty.
If not him, someone like him, just good enough to provide a presence.

AzureJazzMan
07-20-2010, 10:23 AM
As much as I don't care for the player, he is having a pretty decent season, and is one of KW's "targets" from years past. So, he fits the acquisition profile and is speedy, a versatile fielder, and a switch hitter. I present the one and only CoCo Crisp. He shouldn't cost much, and the A's are sellers.

With regard to the pitching front, I would suggest getting in touch with the Pirates (perennial sellers) and see about re-acquiring D.J. Carrasco for his familiarity with our team and pitching versatility (God forbid Freddy should go down)

hawkjt
07-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Luke Scott is nothing special but of course is still better than Kotsay.

And I know he wasnt a popular option here before the season, but Ill bring his name up again. Jack Cust. In 170 PA's so far this season hes got a .287/.388/.441 line. He would more or less cost nothing, just saying....

Pretty impressive numbers for Cust. I would take a flier on him.
Berkman would be worth a call right at the deadline to see if they want to dump salary...I could see him getting inspired in a pennant race.

I am fine with adding a piece as long as Hudson,Beckham,Viciedo and Mitchell are not part of the price. Torres might actually pitch decent in the NL for Houston.

Lillian
07-20-2010, 11:33 AM
As much as I don't care for the player, he is having a pretty decent season, and is one of KW's "targets" from years past. So, he fits the acquisition profile and is speedy, a versatile fielder, and a switch hitter. I present the one and only CoCo Crisp. He shouldn't cost much, and the A's are sellers.

With regard to the pitching front, I would suggest getting in touch with the Pirates (perennial sellers) and see about re-acquiring D.J. Carrasco for his familiarity with our team and pitching versatility (God forbid Freddy should go down)

Yes, however he is not a middle of the order bat. I'm quite confident that he would not be a target at this point. We have enough outfielders.
In fact, I'd love to see Jones get more playing time. If he were a left handed hitter, he would be in there a lot more often.

Tragg
07-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Berkman should come cheap enough. He can spell Paul, play outfield in a pinch and DH. And we don't have to dispose of 1/2 of the young players we have to get him.

getonbckthr
07-20-2010, 01:47 PM
David Dejesus, Jose Guillen, Vernon Wells, Edwin Encarnacion, Carlos Lee, Lance Berkman, Miguel Tejada, Derrek Lee, Adam LaRoche, Jorge Cantu, Dan Uggla.

TheVulture
07-20-2010, 02:55 PM
. I present the one and only CoCo Crisp. He shouldn't cost much, and the A's are sellers.

I seriously doubt the OP was talking about going that low end.

doublem23
07-20-2010, 03:27 PM
I seriously doubt the OP was talking about going that low end.

I don't know, are the Knights making a charge to the International League playoffs?