PDA

View Full Version : The inevitable return of Teahen

kittle42
07-18-2010, 07:22 PM
So, Hangar18 and I were talking the other night about what happens when Teahen comes back. We are both scared of Ozzie's ridiculousness. I mean, that will give him two guys - along with Kotsay - he can trot out there every day at any of multiple positions who can't hit worth ****.

Opinions?

sox1970
07-18-2010, 07:23 PM
Teahen comes back in a few weeks, I think. Viciedo goes down until Sep. 1.

Of course, they could make a trade before that but I'm not holding my breath.

KMcMahon817
07-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Or Lillibridge even. But that would require Ozzie to play The Tank at DH, which he has yet to do. I really wish he would DH him a couple times a week.

hi im skot
07-18-2010, 07:32 PM
The Sox got hot when Teahen went down. Vizquel had quite a few clutch hits as hit replacement, but obviously, it's his defense that really contributed to the Sox winning ways.

We saw how important defense is this weekend when the Sox gave Minnesota four and five outs due to defensive miscues. Viciedo was responsible for one of the most crucial errors.

Vizquel makes that play, and maybe Teahen does, too. When it's all said and done, Teahen's bat (or lack thereof) doesn't outweigh his questionable defense.

I hope that Friday's game illustrated how important solid defense is. My dream is Teahen getting unloaded in a deadline deal that brings the Sox a solid bat or good arm, but I'm sure we'll be stuck with him for at least the rest of 2010.

I guess...you hope that Teahen sees minimal playing time, with Vizquel taking the majority of the starts at 3rd. I wouldn't be shocked to see Teahen get thrown in right field a couple times, too, which is just as terrifying as Quentin out there.

The short summary of this ramblefest is I have no idea what's going to happen, but I wish Teahen would just go away.

Rdy2PlayBall
07-18-2010, 07:58 PM
I hope he replaces Kotsay.

WhiteSox5187
07-18-2010, 08:22 PM
I hope he replaces Kotsay.

I really suspect that this is what is going to happen. I think Kotsay winds up being DFA'd.

TomBradley72
07-18-2010, 08:42 PM
This is at least the 3rd thread on this topic.

kittle42
07-18-2010, 08:45 PM
This is at least the 3rd thread on this topic.

I think we should go for four.

Rdy2PlayBall
07-18-2010, 08:56 PM
I think we should go for four.We should make one on whether Teahen is going to come back with some Twinki-esque facial hair. I think Teahen could pull off a fluffy mustache. :tongue:

Coops4Aces
07-18-2010, 10:18 PM
I still think Teahen should play everyday, or at least against every RHP. He can play RF as well as 1B, basically let him do exactly what Kotsay is doing. Let Kotsay retire.

Frater Perdurabo
07-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Teahen should not play third base. Period.

Vizquel is the short-term solution. Morel is the long-term answer (not 2010).

Teahen has a decent stick and gets on base.

I would like Quentin to DH more, simply to protect his health.

I'd prefer Teahen, Kotsay and Jones to split time in RF.

doublem23
07-18-2010, 10:22 PM
I think we should go for four.

For a guy of Teahen's caliber, I'd expect nothing short of six.

october23sp
07-18-2010, 11:12 PM
For a guy of Teahen's caliber, I'd expect nothing short of six.

Including VII or VIII in the roadhouse.

Tragg
07-19-2010, 10:23 PM
So, Hangar18 and I were talking the other night about what happens when Teahen comes back. We are both scared of Ozzie's ridiculousness. I mean, that will give him two guys - along with Kotsay - he can trot out there every day at any of multiple positions who can't hit worth ****.

Opinions?
I don't know that Guillen has any love for Teahen. Kotsay - yes; Gullen labelled signing him as his #1 offseason objective. But Teahen's Williams' guy. A bad acquisition and a worse extension. He's kind of tying Ozzie's hands. Pretty bad to have both of those clowns on the team.

PhillipsBubba
07-19-2010, 11:34 PM
I really suspect that this is what is going to happen. I think Kotsay winds up being DFA'd.

OMG...that would mean we gave up Brian Anderson for nothing:(:

Mohoney
07-21-2010, 05:59 AM
Scott Linebrink could always go away. We don't need 12 pitchers.

Chez
07-21-2010, 10:15 AM
If Teahen comes back before roster expansion on September 1, I think Viciedo goes back to Charlotte and Teahen splits time with Kotsay and Vizquel at 3B/Dh. With Konerko and AJ in the line-up, we need to keep Lillibridge around as a late inning pinch runner.

kittle42
07-21-2010, 10:58 AM
If Teahen comes back before roster expansion on September 1, I think Viciedo goes back to Charlotte and Teahen splits time with Kotsay and Vizquel at 3B/Dh. With Konerko and AJ in the line-up, we need to keep Lillibridge around as a late inning pinch runner.

This is most likely at this point. No reason to keep Viciedo up here if he isn't going to play. The only bad thing is if Teahen plays over him at 3B - his defense also blows, at third.

doublem23
07-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Scott Linebrink could always go away. We don't need 12 pitchers.

I can't believe this team is playing so well and still has so many bad players on it. If 20% of the roster vanished tomorrow, I wouldn't lose one second of sleep over it.

kittle42
07-21-2010, 11:33 AM
I can't believe this team is playing so well and still has so many bad players on it. If 20% of the roster vanished tomorrow, I wouldn't lose one second of sleep over it.

All teams have some dead weight, but really, would anyone care if Linebrink, Threets, Teahen, Lillibridge, Jones or Kotsay ever played another game in a Sox uniform? Yes, I included 25th man Lillibridge - don't cite me his .400+ average.

Chez
07-21-2010, 11:34 AM

Most teams can make the same claim. Look at the Yankees. The back end of their bullpen is Dustin Mosely, Chad Gaudin and Boone Logan.

tm1119
07-21-2010, 12:13 PM
I cant wait for Teahen to get back just because that means, hopefully, that Kotsay gets the hell out of the lineup. Seriously, there is absolutely no reason for him to be on this team, let alone getting a lot of playing time. I would have no problem if we DH'd Teahen and kept Omar at 3B for the most part. Teahen would only play 3B a couple times a week and have Jones, Omar, or Dayan(if hes still on the roster) DH the the rest of the time. Seems like an obvious decision to me, but this is Ozzie we are talking about so who knows.

Tragg
07-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Teahen in Kotsay out. Or I guess Lillibridge.
Viceido has hit so far....we need hitters, despite Guillen's clear reluctance to le him hit.

Coops4Aces
07-21-2010, 12:23 PM
All teams have some dead weight, but really, would anyone care if Linebrink, Threets, Teahen, Lillibridge, Jones or Kotsay ever played another game in a Sox uniform? Yes, I included 25th man Lillibridge - don't cite me his .400+ average.

Don't talk badly of the Lillibeast

kittle42
07-21-2010, 12:34 PM
I don't see any way Kotsay is the odd man out when Teahen comes back. They'll get rid of Lillibridge or Dayan first.

SephClone89
07-21-2010, 12:35 PM
I think the most obvious move is Teahen replacing Kotsay, as long as Teahen doesn't go back to third. Keep him as a DH/first base backup, occasionally spelling Quentin in right.

stevemcstud
07-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Dayan is the on who gets sent down hands down. Not that I agree with it though. I would love to see him being rotated around 1B/DH/3B.

The fact that Vizquel is now hitting close to .280 after having a slow start and not getting much playing time in the first month makes him the best free agent signing Williams made.

bigdommer
07-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Most teams can make the same claim. Look at the Yankees. The back end of their bullpen is Dustin Mosely, Chad Gaudin and Boone Logan.

True, but I think you could cut our opening day 3B and DH for nothing and be no worse for it. Yankees can't claim that.

voodoochile
07-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Dayan is the on who gets sent down hands down. Not that I agree with it though. I would love to see him being rotated around 1B/DH/3B.

The fact that Vizquel is now hitting close to .280 after having a slow start and not getting much playing time in the first month makes him the best free agent signing Williams made.

I think he goes back down so he can become a full time 1B and get regular at bats. Teahen becomes the backup at 3B and RF and takes over for Kotsay as the LH DH (at least I hope so) most of the time.

asindc
07-21-2010, 12:42 PM
I think the most obvious move is Teahen replacing Kotsay, as long as Teahen doesn't go back to third. Keep him as a DH/first base backup, occasionally spelling Quentin in right.

Has Teahen ever played 1B in the majors? Not being sarcastic, I really don't know. I know he has played 2B and OF for KC, but I haven't heard anything about 1B.

tm1119
07-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Has Teahen ever played 1B in the majors? Not being sarcastic, I really don't know. I know he has played 2B and OF for KC, but I haven't heard anything about 1B.

he's got 200 + innings logged at 1B in the majors with only 1 error. I'm sure he's more than capable of spot starting there if we want to rest PK

doublem23
07-21-2010, 01:14 PM
He's played 35 G at 1B in his career spread over 2007-2009 in Kansas City, as well as playing 3 innings at 1B earlier this season after he came in to pinch run for Paul Konerko in the 8th inning of a tie game that eventually went into 11 innings.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA201004090.shtml

october23sp
07-21-2010, 01:24 PM
We won't have Dayan or Teahen after the trade deadline. One of them will go, I don't think Dayan will be sent down and I don't think Teahen will be released. I think we should just DFA Kotsay but I don't see that happening.

Tragg
07-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Thanks to his contract, Teahen is Guillen's long-term Kotsay/Wise/Erstad. Just don't know how Guillen feels about that.
Switching he and Kotsay would be ideal, but Oz probably would object.