PDA

View Full Version : Nats not getting offers they like for Dunn

doublem23
07-17-2010, 10:45 PM
This according to MLB.com via MLB Trade Rumors. Writer doesn't believe Dunn will be dealt before Trade Deadline.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/07/rizzo-doesnt-like-offers-for-dunn.html

Coops4Aces
07-17-2010, 11:28 PM
LMAO what do they expect to get for a rental DH?

Hitmen77
07-18-2010, 12:08 AM

Seriously. He apparently wanted Beckham from the Sox.

Well, maybe the Nats just hold on to him and then take the 2 draft picks when he leaves via FA.

Baron
07-18-2010, 12:25 AM
Seriously. He apparently wanted Beckham from the Sox.

Well, maybe the Nats just hold on to him and then take the 2 draft picks when he leaves via FA.

They were talking about that on the score yesterday.Thats exactly what it sounds like they are going to do.I think its time to start looking at some lesser options besides Dunn and Fielder

Tragg
07-18-2010, 10:37 AM
We should be able to pick up a decent left handed hitter for salary.
We gave away Thome, Contreras, Iguchi for, to be kind, D+ prospects.
A C prospect will bring in someone who can hit.

doublem23
07-18-2010, 01:07 PM

If they let him walk after this year, the worst they get for him is a pick in the Sandwich Round and a 2nd Rounder. So you'd better be ready to ante up for him.

I don't blame Washington for what they're doing. I just hope this kills future talk about the Sox going into a season seriously deficient at one position and then being able to just magically make trades happen if they need them. Remember when Adrian Gonzalez basically had one foot in Chicago already? Oh, those were the days.

doublem23
07-18-2010, 01:09 PM
We should be able to pick up a decent left handed hitter for salary.
We gave away Thome, Contreras, Iguchi for, to be kind, D+ prospects.
A C prospect will bring in someone who can hit.

Are you pining for Contreras and Iguchi?

:rolleyes:

Boondock Saint
07-18-2010, 01:15 PM
Are you pining for Contreras and Iguchi?

:rolleyes:

No, what he's saying is that we should be able to get competent players for cheap if we know where to look.

Domeshot17
07-18-2010, 01:30 PM
If they let him walk after this year, the worst they get for him is a pick in the Sandwich Round and a 2nd Rounder. So you'd better be ready to ante up for him.

I don't blame Washington for what they're doing. I just hope this kills future talk about the Sox going into a season seriously deficient at one position and then being able to just magically make trades happen if they need them. Remember when Adrian Gonzalez basically had one foot in Chicago already? Oh, those were the days.

I think some people don't get it when they think Dunn is just a rental. He is a rental AND 2 top prospects. Jordan Danks was a 5th round pick, and today wouldn't be drafted any higher really.

Sandwich picks can be really talented. IIRC guys like Joba, Tanner Scheppers, Bowden from the Red Sox among others were Sandwich round picks.

DirtySox
07-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Sandwich picks can be really talented. IIRC guys like Joba, Tanner Scheppers, Bowden from the Red Sox among others were Sandwich round picks.

Don't forget Josh Phegley!

Domeshot17
07-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Don't forget Josh Phegley!

I was naming people who were considered top prospects or have bright mlb futures :tongue:

Phegley over Scheppers still haunts my dreams at night...almost as bad as Poreda over Porcello did until we got Peavy.

DirtySox
07-18-2010, 01:37 PM
I was naming people who were considered top prospects or have bright mlb futures :tongue:

Phegley over Scheppers still haunts my dreams at night...almost as bad as Poreda over Porcello did until we got Peavy.

I'm with you.

I don't trust this organization with draft picks, especially supplemental and 2nd rounders.

Domeshot17
07-18-2010, 01:38 PM
I'm with you.

I don't trust this organization with draft picks, especially supplemental and 2nd rounders.

They are useless to us. You can clean up in the Sandwich rounds if you are willing to go over slot. But when you penny pinch the draft year in and year out the picks become useless.

DirtySox
07-18-2010, 01:48 PM
They are useless to us. You can clean up in the Sandwich rounds if you are willing to go over slot. But when you penny pinch the draft year in and year out the picks become useless.

Hater.

Penny pinching allows us to extend marginal major league talent such as Mark Teahen. You aren't seeing the big picture.

mzh
07-18-2010, 05:57 PM

To be fair to the Sox, Porcello had some ridiculous demands IIRC. He was a top-10 talent who fell to 27 Todd Van Poppel style.

Foulke You
07-18-2010, 10:19 PM
To be fair to the Sox, Porcello had some ridiculous demands IIRC. He was a top-10 talent who fell to 27 Todd Van Poppel style.
Correcto. The Sox weren't the only team to pass on Porcello. Many teams felt they couldn't sign him because Boras was his agent and they were asking for the moon. As I recall, the Tigers ponied up quite a bit of money for his services.