PDA

View Full Version : This is my first time heading to the Cell on my own, had a few Q's

chisox616
07-17-2010, 06:00 PM
Me and my girlfriend bought our tickets (section 550) to Monday, July 26 but I completely forgot to ask my sister if she wanted to go (she lives in Chicago and would know more about this kinda stuff, so I'd prefer it if she did). Can she buy a specified seat/row? Or is it too late to have any chance of her sitting near us, without her sitting in someone else's seat?

I'll be leaving from Naperville (house sitting there). Some people are telling me to take I55 straight to the stadium but once I get there, is parking cheap? Last year we parked right next to the stadium but I can't for the life of me remember the price. I'm trying to budget all this stuff out.

Another option I'm hearing about is driving to Union Station and getting my girlfriend from the Mega Bus at 2:30, hang around in the city for a bit, then taking the L train straight to the game. Sounds more plausible but I have no idea about the price range for that, either, or the time it takes.

If anyone could answer some of these questions I'd really, really appreciate it! Sorry if it's a lot to ask for but I'm starting to feel overwhelmed... I'm not actually from Chicago so at best I get to hit up a Sox game once a year. I usually go with relatives who take care of all the logistics, too, so I've never had to buy tickets/drive to the stadium myself.

twinsuck
07-17-2010, 06:15 PM
White Sox parking is $23. yuck... Taking the L is cheaper for what you wanna do...

chisoxfanatic
07-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Me and my girlfriend bought our tickets (section 550) to Monday, July 26 but I completely forgot to ask my sister if she wanted to go (she lives in Chicago and would know more about this kinda stuff, so I'd prefer it if she did). Can she buy a specified seat/row? Or is it too late to have any chance of her sitting near us, without her sitting in someone else's seat?
She certainly can buy a specific seat as long as it's not taken already. She would have to buy it at the box office at the ballpark to do that or do it over the phone with a White Sox ticket representative. She'd have to specify where you are sitting, and then the ticket agent would be able to find the closest seat to you.

Coops4Aces
07-17-2010, 06:59 PM
If they don't have another ticket next to you, then just ask them to cancel your original tickets and give you 3 in a different location. They should do it for free.

doublem23
07-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Sox parking lots are $23 cash. 2 people taking the L there and back would be $9 ($2.25 per individual ride), but if your plan is to park somewhere around Union Station, you're going to lose those savings (and probably more) on parking in a garage or on the street.

A solution is the Metra, the BSNF Line runs from through Naperville to Union Station (not sure how much that costs, I rarely ride the Metra). On the way home, BSNF trains depart from Chicago at 10:40, 11:40, and 12:40. Of course, there is no transfer point between the Metra and L, the closest you can do is walk 2-3 blocks to the Quincy stop on the Loop.

SephClone89
07-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Possibly the cheapest transportation option is...

The PACE US Cellular Field Express. Take it from Bolingbrook. $4 each way per person. Gets you there nice and early too.

october23sp
07-17-2010, 10:07 PM
:TCQ::TCQ::TCQ:

A few Q's.

Brian26
07-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Another option I'm hearing about is driving to Union Station and getting my girlfriend from the Mega Bus at 2:30, hang around in the city for a bit, then taking the L train straight to the game. Sounds more plausible but I have no idea about the price range for that, either, or the time it takes.

White Sox parking is $23. yuck... Taking the L is cheaper for what you wanna do...

Sox parking might suck at $23, but parking downtown near Union Station isn't going to be cheap, and then you have to add the EL fare to and from the game for two people. It's probably comparable, if not cheaper, to just park at the Cell.

Brian26
07-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Sox parking lots are $23 cash. 2 people taking the L there and back would be $9 ($2.25 per individual ride), but if your plan is to park somewhere around Union Station, you're going to lose those savings (and probably more) on parking in a garage or on the street.

Oops, Doub already addressed this perfectly.

Quentin08
07-17-2010, 10:16 PM
Here's another suggestion. If you decide to drive downtown, you should park at the Orange Line's "Halsted/Archer" Park n Ride lot. It's $4 for 12 hours, and it's right across the street from the elevated Orange Line. If the lot's full, just wait around for a couple minutes and someone might get off the Orange Line and leave with their car. Usually there's vacant spots. http://www.transitchicago.com/parkandride/default.aspx#orangeline

From there, you can hop on the Orange Line, get off at Quincy, walk towards the Sears (Willis) Tower, then past the Sears Tower and over the River to Union Station. After 2:30, you can hang around the city for a while, and then take the Red Line to the game.

After the game, take the Red Line to Roosevelt (2nd stop), then transfer for free through the tunnel to the elevated Orange Line. From there, you'll want to take a "Midway" Orange Line train toward the airport, and "Halsted/Archer" is the first stop. Done this plenty of times and it works out great!

http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/clickable_system_map/200806C.htm

twinsuck
07-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Sox parking might suck at $23, but parking downtown near Union Station isn't going to be cheap, and then you have to add the EL fare to and from the game for two people. It's probably comparable, if not cheaper, to just park at the Cell.
yeah, I actually didn't realize he was planning on driving from Naperville to the station... I thought he was taking the metra of something. If you're going to drive all the way there might as well just pay the Sox parking. idk if you want to take the L though maybe you wanna park in Forest Park and take the blue line downtown spend time there.

LongLiveFisk
07-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Possibly the cheapest transportation option is...

The PACE US Cellular Field Express. Take it from Bolingbrook. $4 each way per person. Gets you there nice and early too.

I recommend this as well. I take the one from Oak Lawn but I am pretty sure there is one out your way in the western burbs somewhere.

doublem23
07-17-2010, 10:48 PM
I recommend this as well. I take the one from Oak Lawn but I am pretty sure there is one out your way in the western burbs somewhere.

Here's the list from PACE

http://www.pacebus.com/sub/espd/us_cellular_express.asp

LongLiveFisk
07-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Here's the list from PACE

http://www.pacebus.com/sub/espd/us_cellular_express.asp

Yes, here it is (thanks, doublem :smile:)

Looks like Bolingbrook is the ticket for you if you want to go this route.

DumpJerry
07-18-2010, 12:01 AM
Here's another suggestion. If you decide to drive downtown, you should park at the Orange Line's "Halsted/Archer" Park n Ride lot. It's $4 for 12 hours, and it's right across the street from the elevated Orange Line. If the lot's full, just wait around for a couple minutes and someone might get off the Orange Line and leave with their car. Usually there's vacant spots. http://www.transitchicago.com/parkandride/default.aspx#orangeline

From there, you can hop on the Orange Line, get off at Quincy, walk towards the Sears (Willis) Tower, then past the Sears Tower and over the River to Union Station. After 2:30, you can hang around the city for a while, and then take the Red Line to the game.

After the game, take the Red Line to Roosevelt (2nd stop), then transfer for free through the tunnel to the elevated Orange Line. From there, you'll want to take a "Midway" Orange Line train toward the airport, and "Halsted/Archer" is the first stop. Done this plenty of times and it works out great!

http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/clickable_system_map/200806C.htm

Park there, but don't take the Orange Line, that is heading in the wrong direction and taking up took much time. Take the Halsted bus down to 35th Street and either walk to the Park (6 blocks) or take the 35th Street bus.

chisox616
07-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Holy crap, this is amazing. Haha! So many options...I think I might just print this page off and carry it with me when I go down there.

The ticket stuff worked perfectly, now my sister can actually go. I've never had to change seating like that but good to know it's easy.

We've also made a few plans so we can walk by Sears Tower then Michigan Ave and hopefully make it to see the Bean all before the game.

Honestly this help has been tremendous. Thanks everyone :gulp:I haven't been to the city besides seeing a Sox game since middle school (Senior in college now) so I'm pretty excited.

chisoxfanatic
07-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Honestly this help has been tremendous. Thanks everyone :gulp:I haven't been to the city besides seeing a Sox game since middle school (Senior in college now) so I'm pretty excited.
Since you're not from here, how did you become a Sox fan? Were your parents fans? I always enjoy listening to stories about how non-Chicago people become Sox fans.

Warriorjan
07-19-2010, 11:03 PM
It looks like the Sox still do the Park and Ride, where you can park in Lot A all day and take the Red Line downtown and back if you want. I had to search through the website but I found it. It costs $23. That way you could park by the ballpark but only park once, and have your car there when you are ready to leave.

SephClone89
07-19-2010, 11:48 PM
Since you're not from here, how did you become a Sox fan? Were your parents fans? I always enjoy listening to stories about how non-Chicago people become Sox fans.

Looks like he's from Naperville.

FielderJones
07-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Looks like he's from Naperville.

I thought everyone from Naperville was a Cubs fan.

chisox616
07-20-2010, 11:09 PM

Yep, my dad is a huge Sox fan and my mom...eh, she went to Cubs games as a young woman but was never a huge fan you know?

I moved from Naperville when I was 11 but I mean, I grew up in the 90s so I had Frank Thomas, Ventura, and eventually Albert Belle to make me love the Sox, then WGN took over when I moved to MO. Rest is history :cool:. Actually when I was a kid and didn't understand baseball as much, I thought the Cubs were essentially a different version of the Kane County Cougars--just another team in the area that played baseball, but the Sox were the real Chicago team. I learned much later that the Cubs were the more popular team; I had no idea for the longest time.

I gotta be honest, I've always wondered what would've happened if I didn't have WGN (but before MLB.tv and whatnot)... I couldn't really ever be a Cards fan because its not my childhood team. Nostalgia keeps me going.

Thanks for asking though, you're right, it is always cool to know this kinda stuff. The Sox don't exactly have the same sort of pull the Red Sox/Yankees do.

chisox616
07-20-2010, 11:13 PM
:TCQ::TCQ::TCQ:

A few Q's.

Also, sorry to bump this again, but this post is hilarious. Great stuff, didn't even notice that at first.