Frater Perdurabo
07-16-2010, 10:20 PM
Oh well. Start a new streak tomorrow.

GoGoCrede
07-16-2010, 10:21 PM
Too bad, Gavin.

Boondock Saint
Sox win if the defense doesn't play like absolute dog****.

Viva Medias B's
We're still 1 up on Detroit.

GoGoCrede
LOL three threads at once. Gavin with only 1 ER. Bummed for him.

spongyfungy
Paulie was 2 for 14 with 6 k's against crain before that AB.

tdwiek
07-16-2010, 10:22 PM
Sox win if the defense doesn't play like absolute dog****.

Lots of sloppiness and too many runners left on... but let's get them tomorrow.

KnightSox
Damn errors, but we didn't say die.

CWSpalehoseCWS
Horrible AB by Paulie, but it isn't his fault they lost.

hi im skot
Glad they made it interesting; hopefully it's a bit of a wake-up call for Ozzie and KW - DEFENSE IS CRUCIAL.

No more Viciedo at third, please.

Zakath

That one should count as two K's against him, because that was downright fugly.

Patrick134
It always frustrates me when batters take the good pitch and swing at 2 garbage pitches.

thomas35forever
Can't say we deserved this one, but at least we didn't lose ground. Get 'em tomorrow.

Domeshot17
07-16-2010, 10:23 PM
****ty Game, Defense and Bullpen let us down. Offense needs some help.

whitesox4eva
Hernadez was good tonight, its not every year you go on an 11 game winning streak and a 9 game winning streak in about one month. Yeah this was a bit frustrating but I am still thrilled with where the Sox are and where they are going.

Rdy2PlayBall
Is anyone allowed to post a gameday thread? :?:

Good finish, everything was good except PK there. Someone should have told him to go into the at-bat looking for a walk, swing if you need to. Oh well. We gave them a scare, just to give them a taste of what tomorrow and Sunday are going to be like.

LoveYourSuit
Hawk was right, this was shades of April and May.

Very ugly game by our Sox, very ugly:mad:

PhillipsBubba
07-16-2010, 10:24 PM
Hope this bad defense doesn't become chronic. KW needs to tweak this team a little. They can win it all with some help.

hi im skot
Hernadez was good tonight, its not every year you go on an 11 game winning streak and a 9 game winning streak in about one month. Yeah this was a bit frustrating but I am still thrilled with where the Sox are and where they are going.

Hernandez? Was he the official scorer or something? :tongue:

WhiteSox5187
We gave away this game. Oh well, it was damn near a must win for the Twins. The bad defense has to stop. Would have been cool to have won this. I am kind of surprised Kotsay didn't PH there.

hi im skot

Good finish, everything was good except PK there. Someone should have told him to go into the at-bat looking for a walk, swing if you need to. Oh well. We gave them a scare, just to give them a taste of what tomorrow and Sunday are going to be like.

Paulie's gotta swing the bat there - I trust him over Jones any day of the week.

Zakath
07-16-2010, 10:25 PM
The Beckham error and the Pena error were the killers. Gordon has to learn to eat that ball on that play, and just concede the one run.

Boondock Saint
Damn errors, but we didn't say die.

I don't know...it was more like the Twins not saying "live". A wild pitch on strike three in the eighth and three walks in the ninth put us back in it just as much as the two singles in the ninth.

GoGoCrede

Yes. Gamethreads, no.

whitesox4eva
07-16-2010, 10:26 PM
Hernandez? Was he the official scorer or something? :tongue:

Woops. lol I must have been thinking of Livian Hernandez.

Rdy2PlayBall
Hawk was right, this was shades of April and May.

Very ugly game by our Sox, very ugly:mad:In April and May, it probably would have come with getting 2-hit and not the near comeback in the end. Only bad things about this game were the errors. I just hope the Sox don't get "this stadium is a cursed too" mentality the rest of the series.

guillensdisciple
Man, Paulie went through that at bat way too fast.

I did my rant, but the White Sox did not deserve to win this game. They gave it away through horrid defense. Vizquel would have helped today- it is in situations like these that match ups are kind of stupid. BUT, I trust Ozzie's judgment.

Regardless, we are still 1 game up in the division. Take the series from here on out. We're the better team at our best- today we had a melt down. Would have been huge if Pena did not make that mistake- we could have won had Gordon tagged up.

Alas, laziness caused it and he deserved it. I think Ozzie should have a sit down with Pena for that play.

Anyway, win the series. I love these winning streaks, but we just need to win series to get into the playoffs. 45-28 gets us 95 wins. We can do that if we don't collapse mentally.

LoveYourSuit
07-16-2010, 10:27 PM
The Alexei DP after Piere lead off with a walk in the 8th, that was the back breaker for me.

Quentin08
07-16-2010, 10:27 PM
Well, now we're down to 11 games under .500.. I mean over .500.. :D: That doesn't sound too bad.

Hope TCQ is ok, we definitely need him to be healthy in the 2nd half.

Rdy2PlayBall
07-16-2010, 10:28 PM
Paulie's gotta swing the bat there - I trust him over Jones any day of the week.Well yea, he's got to swing, but not at what he did. If he went in looking for balls, it could have been a 2-1 count. I would have loved a 2-1 count in that situation.

SoxSpeed22
Bleh. A stinker like this happens. Let's just win the next two.

Coops4Aces
We gave away this game. Oh well, it was damn near a must win for the Twins. The bad defense has to stop. Would have been cool to have won this. I am kind of surprised Kotsay didn't PH there.

Kotsay? For Paulie? Really?

whitesox4eva
I actually think we can still win these next two. Why? Because these past two games would have been low scoring games for the twins if it wasn't ONE play in each (Rios missed catch in center-right yesterday, and Dayan's missed double play ball today). If we can show some good D tomorrow, I'm confident we will win.

hi im skot
07-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Well yea, he's got to swing, but not at what he did. If he went in looking for balls, it could have been a 2-1 count. I would have loved a 2-1 count in that situation.

Crain pitched him well, and PK had an awful history against him.

Rdy2PlayBall
07-16-2010, 10:30 PM
Kotsay? For Paulie? Really?How could you not PH your number 3 hitter when he's just having a day of rest? :tongue:

Patrick134

There isn't a manager on earth that pinch-hits for PK there.

Zakath

Kotsay's 2-4 lifetime vs. Crain with 1 HR. Paulie's 2-15 now with 7 K's.

Just sayin'...

LoveYourSuit

I hope this game today doesn't force Gardenhire to go with Crain to close the rest of the way.

Crain >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rauch.

WhiteSox5187
07-16-2010, 10:31 PM

The only reason to do that is because Crain is rough on RH hitters but is killed by LH hitters.

hi im skot
07-16-2010, 10:32 PM
There isn't a manager on earth that pinch-hits for PK there.

I'm not advocating pinch-hitting for Konerko. I'm pointing out that Konerko had a tough at-bat, but giving Crain some credit as well.

Rdy2PlayBall
07-16-2010, 10:33 PM
I'm surprised Kotsay didn't PH at all this game. There were plenty of moments where I would have been just fine with him pinch-hitting.

Coops4Aces
07-16-2010, 10:33 PM
Kotsay's 2-4 lifetime vs. Crain with 1 HR. Paulie's 2-15 now with 7 K's.

Just sayin'...

Say Ozzie pulls the trigger and Kotsay fails...the earth no longer exists

hi im skot
07-16-2010, 10:34 PM

At the very least, WSI gets burned to the ground.

Zakath
07-16-2010, 10:35 PM

Not really, as it's a game we deserved to lose anyway.

I just find it interesting that whenever Kotsay's name gets mentioned in any situation, 2/3 of this board goes into conniption fits, as if he's the Anti-Christ.

mcsoxfan
The only thing the Sox can't overcome is their reliever Pena. He once again puts a winnable game beyond reach. This time he did it with his bad defense as well.

GoGoCrede
At least this game wasn't drawn out? And I'm also glad the team showed some heart and made it exciting. It certainly bodes well. And hell, scoring a lot of runs is a good thing, I feel like we didn't score a whole lot in Minny in past years (could be wrong, though).

GoGoCrede
07-16-2010, 10:36 PM
The only thing the Sox can't overcome is their reliever Pena. He once again puts a winnable game beyond reach. This time he did it with his bad defense as well.

Pena has been pretty solid for us in recent weeks.

hi im skot

Pena has done more good than bad this season.

Rdy2PlayBall
Who agrees the Sox will come out with a warriors attitude, and will get another winning steak going? I can't image seeing Ozzie not put out his best defensive lineup tomorrow.

Coops4Aces
07-16-2010, 10:37 PM
At the very least, WSI gets burned to the ground.

That goes without saying. :tongue:

I'm surprised Kotsay didn't PH at all this game. There were plenty of moments where I would have been just fine with him pinch-hitting.

I don't think there has ever been a moment where I would have been fine with Kotsay batting. Maybe if we were up 20 runs, but still, highly doubtful

hi im skot
07-16-2010, 10:37 PM
Who agrees the Sox will come out with a warriors attitude, and will get another winning steak going? I can't image not seeing Ozzie put out his best defensive lineup tomorrow.

I'm hoping for a decent Ozzie rant tonight. Vizquel will be back at short (ER, THIRD), no doubt.

BleacherBandit
07-16-2010, 10:38 PM
Does anyone else feel rather unscathed from this? If the Sox didn't make those errors they could have won this game easily. Liriano was great tonight but Minnesota's bullpen is shaky at best.

Don't make those errors...that's certainly do-able.

SephClone89
07-16-2010, 10:38 PM
...Seriously?

Rdy2PlayBall
07-16-2010, 10:39 PM
That goes without saying. :tongue:

I don't think there has ever been a moment where I would have been fine with Kotsay batting. Maybe if we were up 20 runs, but still, highly doubtfulKotsay starting <<<<<<<<< Kotsay pinch-hitting. Kotsay is actually good at coming in to pinch-hit.

Imagine this game happening a month ago, and what this thread would be like. Winning streaks can't make everyone happy during a loss, but no one seems angry right now.

I'm hoping for a decent Ozzie rant tonight. Vizquel will be back at short, no doubt.
Well Alexei doesn't really need to be moved. I was thinking Vizquel back to 3rd, maybe Jones in right, and with CQ or Viciedo at DH.

hi im skot
Does anyone else feel rather unscathed from this? If the Sox didn't make those errors they could have won this game easily. Liriano was great tonight but Minnesota's bullpen is shaky at best.

Don't make those errors...that's certainly do-able.

Win tomorrow and today will be forgotten about.

Brian26
Vizquel will be back at short, no doubt.

A little doubt, unless you meant third.

hi im skot
07-16-2010, 10:40 PM
A little doubt, unless you meant third.

hi im skot: -1

tstrike2000
07-16-2010, 10:42 PM
We didn't give up, just too much to overcome. Lets take the next two and get the heck out of dodge.

slavko
07-16-2010, 11:00 PM
I hope this game today doesn't force Gardenhire to go with Crain to close the rest of the way.

The Rauch I remember used to aim the ball. This one throws it. Still doesn't get much above 90. Least intimidating 6'11" guy I ever saw, even if he is trying to look like a skinhead now..

That's what I saw. Remember the last Peavy game?

Ozzie has to be thinking No More Viciedo at 3B for awhile. Just maybe when Teahen is back here, Dayan gets sent back.

Boondock Saint
07-16-2010, 11:13 PM
Ozzie has to be thinking No More Viciedo at 3B for awhile. Just maybe when Teahen is back here, Dayan gets sent back.

Viciedo has been hitting very well since he's been called up. He should be part of a new DH rotation with Konerko, Quentin and Kotsay.

Hitmen77
07-16-2010, 11:41 PM

Yep. I know that our streak can't continue forever, but I still hate the fact that we gave away the game with 4 errors. 7 runs by the Twins....FIVE UNEARNED. :mad:

I hope this was just a rare sloppy game for the 2nd half Sox. Yeah, we won 9 in a row, but a win is a win....and we threw this one away. Now I think odds are against us winning tomorrow with Pavano on the hill....don't want to give the Twins any momentum here.

Hitmen77
07-16-2010, 11:45 PM

Pena has done more good than bad this season.

Yeah, no kidding. How quickly we forget how he bailed us out by pitching well in long relief when Peavy went down and again when Hudson had a short outing.

BleacherBandit
07-17-2010, 12:04 AM
Yeah, no kidding. How quickly we forget how he bailed us out by pitching well in long relief when Peavy went down and again when Hudson had a short outing.

Any animosity directed at Pena is probably derived from the fact that it's his role we hate to see needed in a game. He's the long reliever/workhorse---you usually don't want to see him in the game! But he gets the job done, doesn't he?

russ99
07-17-2010, 12:46 AM
Viciedo has been hitting very well since he's been called up. He should be part of a new DH rotation with Konerko, Quentin and Kotsay.

Viciedo won't be DHing anytime soon. Ozzie wants him to play a position.

You may disagree, but that doesn't mean it will happen.

One error isn't going to get him sent to AAA...

DumpJerry
07-17-2010, 01:17 AM
This game has made it easy for Kenny and Ozzie to decide what happens when Teahen comes off the DL. Viciedo, say hello to Charlotte. It is becoming very clear.

guillensdisciple
07-17-2010, 01:43 AM
You know what's great about all of this guys, even with the loss we suffered, the Sox are the toast of Chicago!

The first place team in the city in BASEBALL!!!! Right now. Look at our story guys, look at where we came from. **** this loss, who cares, man I am happy to be a White Sox fan. I am happy to watch this team play baseball. This is the reason why baseball is a hell of a game.

While there are no guarantees, and the odds are stacked against us I am a believer that this team is the real deal. We came back, we did the hardest part. The Yankees, everyone picks them, but we were at the absolute bottom and now we are running away from the people behind us.

Critics still think we won't be there in the end. Ozzie does not believe it, and you know damn well no one in that locker room believes it. Keep the faith, believe in this team, and they will make you proud.

There is only one baseball team in Chicago, and I mean this with no offense to the Cubs, but the White Sox are the spirit of Chicago- they are Chicago. A city overlooked, that triumphs in the end.

Bring glory to the city of Chicago White Sox, make us proud!!!!

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!!!!

oeo
07-17-2010, 03:41 AM
I think Pena overthrows the ball in his late-inning appearances. Extra adrenaline, perhaps? When he comes in for his late-inning appearances, he starts rolling that slider.

He's the least necessary guy on the roster. While he's been okay with the bat, I still don't even know why he was called up to begin with.

I'm just speculating here, but I think they hoped Morel would get off to a fast start in AAA and they could hop him straight up to the big leagues, a la Beckham last year. Since he got off to a slow start, they brought up Viciedo instead. Yes, I know, not the same talent, but everything lines up as if that was the case. He was promoted right after Teahen's injury, and Viciedo's promotion came two weeks later.

doublem23
07-17-2010, 05:39 AM

All that flip flopping Crain and Rauch means is that Rauch gets to blow the game in the 8th now.

doublem23
07-17-2010, 05:40 AM
Not really, as it's a game we deserved to lose anyway.

I just find it interesting that whenever Kotsay's name gets mentioned in any situation, 2/3 of this board goes into conniption fits, as if he's the Anti-Christ.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration isn't it.

:kneeslap:

The Anti-Christ is Andruw Jones.

doublem23
07-17-2010, 05:42 AM
Any animosity directed at Pena is probably derived from the fact that it's his role we hate to see needed in a game. He's the long reliever/workhorse---you usually don't want to see him in the game! But he gets the job done, doesn't he?

Maybe, but it is pretty much proven that while he's an effective long man out of the bullpen, he's tuuuuuuurrible in short work sessions.

Pena's got a role on this team. For whatever reason, giving them 1 inning isn't it.

doublem23
07-17-2010, 05:43 AM

Well somebody has to go down when Teahen's back. If Ozzie's not going to DH Viciedo then it's likely going to be him.

Frater Perdurabo
07-17-2010, 05:46 AM
I can't image seeing Ozzie not put out his best defensive lineup tomorrow.

I agree, Ozzie will stress defense when he puts Kotsay in as DH, because, as we all know, the ability to field multiple positions well is the single most important characteristic of a good DH.

SCCWS
07-17-2010, 07:37 AM
Well somebody has to go down when Teahen's back. If Ozzie's not going to DH Viciedo then it's likely going to be him.

Viciedo had the huge error that led to the 4 runs. But he also made a poor play on another double-play chance by giving Beckham a poor throw( short hop) which he couldn't turn.

pythons007
07-17-2010, 08:09 AM
Does anyone else still notice how many cheap ass hits the Twins still seem to get? Span with the bases loaded, are you ****ing kidding me!?!?!?! I really ****ing hate that team.

Now if they were line drives or balls that found a hole, fine. That is a legit hit. I can't stand swinging bunts and it seems like the Twins get at least 1-2 of those per game.

Frater Perdurabo
07-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Does anyone else still notice how many cheap ass hits the Twins still seem to get? Span with the bases loaded, are you ****ing kidding me!?!?!?! I really ****ing hate that team.

Now if they were line drives or balls that found a hole, fine. That is a legit hit. I can't stand swinging bunts and it seems like the Twins get at least 1-2 of those per game.

The Twins are taught to do those things in the minor leagues, and even though it's not what major league managers are supposed to do, Gardenhire makes them practice those things, too.

harwar
07-17-2010, 09:28 AM
If your pitcher gives up runs because he's catching too much of the plate or can't find it then ok .. if you can't score runs because their pitcher is painting the corners then ok .. that's acceptable .. but if you give up 5 unearned runs .. that is not ok .. that is totally unacceptable .. i like Viciedo's bat and i realize that Vizquel is no longer a young man and that he can make an error now and then but maybe a return of Omar to the field will calm the defense a bit .. no more stupid error's because our pitchers just don't seem to deal with them very well .. tighten up that D and let's roll ..

TDog
07-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Glad they made it interesting; hopefully it's a bit of a wake-up call for Ozzie and KW - DEFENSE IS CRUCIAL.

No more Viciedo at third, please.

About the same time Viciedo was making the error that led to the four-run Twins inning, Inge was making an error at third for the Tigers that opened the gates for a four-run Indians inning. Errors happen sometimes.

I don't think this game is a wake-up call at all. It isn't like the White Sox have been getting away with lousy defense while winning. In fact, they have been playing great defense, even with Viciedo at third. If the Sox don't get an error by Beckham, if they don't get the Pena error in the eighth, and the Twins had played as sloppily as they played Friday night (the Sox even got something of a three-out rally with Rios scoring on a Konerko double after Liriano struck him out with two outs and none on), the Sox might have won.

The Sox didn't play the great defense they played in their 1-0 wins, although Vizquel made an error at third in the most recent. Liriano was tough, and Floyd didn't pitch as well as he has of late. The Sox didn't give up, though, and forced Gardenhire to go deeper into his bullpen than he had planned. Pavano had two complete-game wins in June and has pitched into the seventh in every start since late May, so the Twins might not need a well-rested bullpen Saturday night.

It was a sloppy game, more sloppy for the White Sox than the Twins, certainly, but it was hardly a microcosm of the season. It wasn't a game that showed the White Sox for the team they really are. They have been playing much better than that.

Hitmen77
07-17-2010, 09:53 AM
This game has made it easy for Kenny and Ozzie to decide what happens when Teahen comes off the DL. Viciedo, say hello to Charlotte. It is becoming very clear.

....because Teahen makes our defense better? :dunno:

I wonder what the chances are that KW can package Teahen in a mid-season trade once he's healthy. Too bad, the Sox signed him to a nice, generous 3 yr contract extension.

He's the least necessary guy on the roster. While he's been okay with the bat, I still don't even know why he was called up to begin with.

I'm just speculating here, but I think they hoped Morel would get off to a fast start in AAA and they could hop him straight up to the big leagues, a la Beckham last year. Since he got off to a slow start, they brought up Viciedo instead. Yes, I know, not the same talent, but everything lines up as if that was the case. He was promoted right after Teahen's injury, and Viciedo's promotion came two weeks later.

Morel has really been lighting it up in AAA. I wonder if the Sox could try to find a spot for him on the roster at some point before Sept. call ups.

bigdommer
07-17-2010, 09:59 AM
It always frustrates me when batters take the good pitch and swing at 2 garbage pitches.

That's a sign of a pitcher that owns a hitter. Had him all backwards, keeping Paulie guessing. It happens.

tstrike2000
07-17-2010, 10:14 AM

Ok, I know what people are going to say, but can we just leave Vizquel in at 3B as the everyday player? Yes, I know he's 43 and needs rest, blah, blah, but we need his defense and scrappiness at the plate. Ozzie's lineup juggling would mean Vizquel will get the majority of the time there and not get burnt out. This is nothing against Viciedo or Teahen other than the fact I don't really want either one at 3B.

JB98
07-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Sox gave that one away last night. When the Sox play at Minnesota, it doesn't seem like they ever get away with giving the Twins an extra out. When we play them in Chicago, sometimes it all works out. But the Sox need to play clean baseball to win in Minny. If you give the Twins extra baserunners, their infield hits and their ground balls with eyes really hurt.

Essentially, last night's loss boiled down to an error by Viciedo, followed by an 80-foot chopper that produced two runs for Minnesota.

Frankfan4life
07-17-2010, 10:43 AM
The streak had to end sometime. I'm glad it happened on a day when the Tigers also lost. My hope is that we win all three road series and make this a very successful trip. Of course, fielding the ball like a major league team will help.

Hey, you Sox fans at the game in Minnesota this weekend, I want to hear you! :tongue:

TomBradley72
07-17-2010, 10:49 AM
I'm not giving up on Viciedo for one bad game at 3rd...this was his first game in the field vs. Minn/Detroit....he may have had some nerves as he's still in his first 4-5 weeks in the big leagues.

Hitting .295 in his 1st 44 Ab's is proof he can contribute. I like the way he moves overall at 3rd, has a good arm, but is clearly "very raw", so the errors will be there, as they are with many rookies.

Tragg
07-17-2010, 11:27 AM
sloppy, sloppy.
They can clean that up.

Viciedo is struggling in the field, but he can hit. The usual suspects of veterans people want to dump him for are lousy fielders too.

They COULD put him at DH anyway...move Beckham to 3rd and let Lilibridge play 2nd for a game; or let Vizquel play 3rd and leave Beckham at 2nd.

The sloppiness in the 8th inning was just as costly.

Frater Perdurabo
07-17-2010, 11:43 AM
They COULD put him at DH anyway...

You're plan is wrong from the beginning. You need DEFENSE from your DH!!!

chisoxfanatic
07-17-2010, 12:10 PM
You know what's great about all of this guys, even with the loss we suffered, the Sox are the toast of Chicago!

The first place team in the city in BASEBALL!!!! Right now. Look at our story guys, look at where we came from. **** this loss, who cares, man I am happy to be a White Sox fan. I am happy to watch this team play baseball. This is the reason why baseball is a hell of a game.

While there are no guarantees, and the odds are stacked against us I am a believer that this team is the real deal. We came back, we did the hardest part. The Yankees, everyone picks them, but we were at the absolute bottom and now we are running away from the people behind us.

Critics still think we won't be there in the end. Ozzie does not believe it, and you know damn well no one in that locker room believes it. Keep the faith, believe in this team, and they will make you proud.

There is only one baseball team in Chicago, and I mean this with no offense to the Cubs, but the White Sox are the spirit of Chicago- they are Chicago. A city overlooked, that triumphs in the end.

Bring glory to the city of Chicago White Sox, make us proud!!!!

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!!!!
I really love the enthusiasm in your post! And I for the most part agree with all that you said. But, we aren't quite "running away" just yet. Perhaps that can start happening when we play that huge 4 games in 3 days series in Detroit the first week in August. I think that's the biggest series so far.

LoveYourSuit
07-17-2010, 12:55 PM
The Story of last night to me was your 3,4,5,6 hitters:

1 for 16 w/ 12 LOBs :o:

I think this shold be evidnece to Kenny that we are still a big bat short in the middle of the order. When Quentin is out (which appers to be a min twice per week now), we are very soft in the middle.

Jones is done, finished. Kotsay is not the answer.

Kenny has to find a legit bat out there to anchor that middle. I don't expect Rios and Konerko to hit .300+ the second half, other guys need to step up.

oeo
07-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Morel has really been lighting it up in AAA. I wonder if the Sox could try to find a spot for him on the roster at some point before Sept. call ups.

I don't know. Remember, at the time, the Sox were extremely close to becoming sellers. Bringing him up in August in the midst of a pennant race to be our starting third baseman might be a bit much. Unless of course there's an injury to Teahen or Vizquel, I don't think he's called up until September. Of course, he may also be a part of a trade in the next couple weeks.

GoSox2K3
07-17-2010, 02:51 PM
The Story of last night to me was your 3,4,5,6 hitters:

1 for 16 w/ 12 LOBs :o:

I think this shold be evidnece to Kenny that we are still a big bat short in the middle of the order. When Quentin is out (which appers to be a min twice per week now), we are very soft in the middle.

Jones is done, finished. Kotsay is not the answer.

Kenny has to find a legit bat out there to anchor that middle. I don't expect Rios and Konerko to hit .300+ the second half, other guys need to step up.

True, but in the end we still would have won the game if we didn't give up 5 unearned runs.

Was the 12 LOBs disappointing? Yes. But the key to the game was the 4 White Sox errors that gift-wrapped that game to the Twins.

LoveYourSuit
07-17-2010, 03:06 PM
True, but in the end we still would have won the game if we didn't give up 5 unearned runs.

Was the 12 LOBs disappointing? Yes. But the key to the game was the 4 White Sox errors that gift-wrapped that game to the Twins.

I disagree.

Unearned runs to me are scapegoat. Pitchers still have a chance to get the next batter out. A run is a run, regardless if earned or unearned. That's why to me ERA is not a great stat to look at at.

chisoxfanatic
07-17-2010, 03:20 PM
I disagree.

Unearned runs to me are scapegoat. Pitchers still have a chance to get the next batter out. A run is a run, regardless if earned or unearned. That's why to me ERA is not a great stat to look at at.
But, a pitcher should not have to be forced to make 4 or 5 outs in an inning because his defense doesn't get it done. When a defense gives a team extra outs, they're asking for trouble.

GoSox2K3
07-17-2010, 03:21 PM
I disagree.

Right, giving the Twins 4 or 5 outs in an inning has nothing to do with our chances of winning. :?:

When did I say anything about ERA or about the pitcher still needing to get the last out? I'm talking about the team and wins here. You want to win, don't give up ELEVEN gift runs in two days! Period. If you disagree with that notion then I'm glad you're not Ozzie or Kenny.

GoSox2K3
07-17-2010, 03:22 PM
But, a pitcher should not have to be forced to make 4 or 5 outs in an inning because his defense doesn't get it done. When a defense gives a team extra outs, they're asking for trouble.

Agreed. It's not a coincidence that our defense has been generally solid during our 25-5 run.

LoveYourSuit
07-17-2010, 03:25 PM

Yeah, but this Defense has been a flaw from day one. This should not come to anyone's surprise

chisoxfanatic
07-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Yeah, but this Defense has been a flaw from day one. This should not come to anyone's surprise
You're giving the defense a free pass while putting all of the pressure on the pitcher. That's just not right. Giving more than 3 outs in an inning is dangerous.

TDog
07-17-2010, 03:39 PM

The defense hasn't been a problem. There are 14 teams in the American League, and 10 have more errors than the White Sox.

Hitmen77
07-17-2010, 03:41 PM

Defense on this team has been much better over our winning stretch.

october23sp
07-17-2010, 05:38 PM
2 games, 2 eggs laid by starting pitchers.

Hitmen77
07-18-2010, 12:05 AM
2 games, 2 eggs laid by starting pitchers.

If that was the biggest problem you saw in the first two games, you weren't paying too close attention.

Rdy2PlayBall
07-18-2010, 12:45 AM
If that was the biggest problem you saw in the first two games, you weren't paying too close attention.It was Konerko got getting hit's in the 9th. :club:

:tongue:
Actually, Buehrle pitched pretty well, and if your talking about the 1st and 3rd game... the 1st was a win, so Danks gets a break. Floyd also didn't get much defensive help. So far, it's just a Twins-type series.