PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals seem intent on leaving KTRS; return to KMOX possible

Viva Medias B's
07-16-2010, 05:11 PM
According to Dan Caesar of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Cardinals can opt out of their current radio deal with KTRS-AM (550) after this season. Five years ago, the Cardinals decided to purchase a 50 percent stake in "The Big 550" and move their games there from their longtime flagship station, KMOX-AM (1120). However, five years later, Cardinal Nation continues to be highly critical of the move in leaving "The Voice of St. Louis." KTRS does not have the signal reach of KMOX.

KMOX is probably the early line favorite, but they face competition from WXOS-FM (101.1) which is a sports talk station in St. Louis. If the Redbirds move to WXOS, an AM station would have to simulcast them.

Link (http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/dan-caesar/article_08db0d41-4fca-53a4-9be0-e207dec8c1ee.html)

WhiteSox5187
07-16-2010, 06:20 PM
The Cardinals had been on KMOX forever and were near synonymous with it, they should have never left.

MeteorsSox4367
07-17-2010, 12:29 AM
Go back to KMOX. It was great to be able to listen to their games in Chicago.

MARTINMVP
07-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Around the Plainfield/Joliet area, I can sometimes hear traces of KMOX at night. The KTRS signal is non-existent at all.

I don't understand what the big deal is down in St. Louis. Just like WSCR The Score is the flagship for the White Sox Radio Network, isn't KTRS a flagship to a bunch of other affiliates to the Cardinals? So if the signal of KTRS doesn't go as far as KMOX, why not just add more affiliates in the areas where Cardinal games need to be heard?

Viva Medias B's
07-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Around the Plainfield/Joliet area, I can sometimes hear traces of KMOX at night. The KTRS signal is non-existent at all.

I don't understand what the big deal is down in St. Louis. Just like WSCR The Score is the flagship for the White Sox Radio Network, isn't KTRS a flagship to a bunch of other affiliates to the Cardinals? So if the signal of KTRS doesn't go as far as KMOX, why not just add more affiliates in the areas where Cardinal games need to be heard?

I think that idea was suggested/tried, but it did not satisfy Cardinal Nation. Cardinal Nation overwhelmingly wants its Redbirds on KMOX, according to polling I've seen. In the most recent story, there is an online poll with KMOX carrying 81% of the vote. That poll is not scientific, but it's safe to presume its overall conclusion is correct.