PDA

View Full Version : This guy had so much promise and now NY wants to get rid of him.

Rockabilly
07-16-2010, 11:15 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/newyork/mlb/news/story?id=5384499

I wonder what happened to him.. I bet Coop could do wonders with Joba. Maybe he just needs to get out of NY.

ewokpelts
07-16-2010, 11:30 AM
guy was asked to do too much

Boondock Saint
07-16-2010, 11:34 AM
This will happen when ESPN names every Red Sox/Yankee prospect the second coming. *gasp* He isn't Nolan Ryan? Sacrilege!

palehozenychicty
07-16-2010, 11:42 AM
They really did screw him up. He clearly was an ace reliever, then at his behest, they put him as a starter. He was decent, but threw too many pitches and wore down. Then the arrest in Nebraska didn't help matters. Since then, he's been a shell of himself.

I think he can still be a solid arm if used properly.

LoveYourSuit
07-16-2010, 11:43 AM
Joba was the Cesar Carillo/Lance Broadway draft?

I remember all 3 of those guys were talked about so much about in College. All 3 look like complete busts.

pythons007
07-16-2010, 11:52 AM
If this is true, I would like to see the Sox try and pick him up for Linebrink, a bag of used batting practice balls, and a wad of chewed bubblegum.

SephClone89
07-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Coop'll fix him.

october23sp
07-16-2010, 12:17 PM
I could never stand how a crappy Middle Reliever would make ESPN front page whenever he would pitch.

doublem23
07-16-2010, 12:20 PM
I'd take him in 1/2 a heartbeat.

Pablo_Honey
07-16-2010, 12:25 PM
I'd take him in 1/2 a heartbeat.
Seconded. He could turn out to be like Bobby Jenks pre-suckage, which would be nice in case we don't sign Bobby.

october23sp
07-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Depends on his price tag. I'd take him for cheap, I'd take anyone for cheap over Linebrink.

DonnieDarko
07-16-2010, 12:35 PM
Suckage? You do know that Jenks is on pace for the best Save% of his career, right? His Ks are going to be near his career high, as well. I will give you that his WHIP is way up, but what really matters in the end is how many Saves he converts, and so far he's converting 95% of his Saves.

Most of his bad stats come from earlier in the year, when he wasn't doing so well, yeah. And I will readily admit that that one blown Save was the worst loss of the year in my mind. But to say that he's sucking up the joint so far isn't quite true. He's making things interesting, sure, but at the end of the day he's getting the job done, and that's what counts.

kaufsox
07-16-2010, 12:38 PM
Depends on his price tag. I'd take him for cheap, I'd take anyone for cheap over Linebrink.

cheaper than Linebrink or a certain number? I'd take him on a flier, what the heck? he's still, what 26?

g0g0
07-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Sad that he didn't succeed, but it's nice to know that not everything the Yankees touch is gold.

Pablo_Honey
07-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Suckage? You do know that Jenks is on pace for the best Save% of his career, right? His Ks are going to be near his career high, as well. I will give you that his WHIP is way up, but what really matters in the end is how many Saves he converts, and so far he's converting 95% of his Saves.

Most of his bad stats come from earlier in the year, when he wasn't doing so well, yeah. And I will readily admit that that one blown Save was the worst loss of the year in my mind. But to say that he's sucking up the joint so far isn't quite true. He's making things interesting, sure, but at the end of the day he's getting the job done, and that's what counts.
Yeah, I definitely worded that in a way too negative, wrong way. I meant to say Bobby Jenks in his best years with his high 90s heat and a devastating curve, blowing everyone away with his stuff. I agree that Bobby's been rock solid after a rough start to this season, and it just may be that the old Bobby is back, but let's not forget how shaky he has been for some time (Otherwise people would not have coined the term 'Bobby Drama'). I apologize for coming off as a troll in my first post but I assure you I have no problem with Jenks of this season.

DonnieDarko
07-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Okay, looks like I just misread your post, then. No harm done~

Sam Spade
07-16-2010, 01:11 PM
I never really thought that much of Joba. He is over hyped. He could be very good, but New York seemed to think he was already great.

kittle42
07-16-2010, 01:29 PM
This will happen when ESPN names every Red Sox/Yankee prospect the second coming.

Dead on.

SI1020
07-16-2010, 01:31 PM
I'd take him in 1/2 a heartbeat. Me too. I think he is very salvageable.

PatK
07-16-2010, 04:40 PM
I never really thought that much of Joba. He is over hyped. He could be very good, but New York seemed to think he was already great.

Remember the hype for his first start?

There was a countdown clock. It was hyped 10x more than the Strasburg start.