PDA

View Full Version : Minor league question.

Paulwny
06-23-2002, 05:16 PM
A question for you guys who know the sox minor league players.
Jorge Posada was a ss in the yankmee farm system. They wanted a catcher who could hit so they taught him to catch. Is there anyone in the sox system who can hit and have the ability to be converted into a catcher, or is Daver our only hope?

Vsahajpal
06-23-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Jorge Posada was a ss in the yankmee farm system. They wanted a catcher who could hit so they taught him to catch. Is there anyone in the sox system who can hit and have the ability to be converted into a catcher, or is Daver our only hope?

Wow, that's a difficult question. I think Posada moved because the likelihood of him being an effective SS was very little. I realize Jeter was up there, but they let Almonte, Soriano, and that 17 y/o kid (Deivi Mendez??) progess at the position, so I doubt DJ was the reason Posada was moved.

It's hard to say, it was a pretty big gamble moving Posada behind the plate, as opposed to another position. Do you know if he played catcher previously? I'd think it'd be very tough to make that type of conversion. The *safer* bet would be to sign a bunch of kids and hopefully a few pan out.

Chisox_cali
06-23-2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

Wow, that's a difficult question. I think Posada moved because the likelihood of him being an effective SS was very little. I realize Jeter was up there, but they let Almonte, Soriano, and that 17 y/o kid (Deivi Mendez??) progess at the position, so I doubt DJ was the reason Posada was moved.

It's hard to say, it was a pretty big gamble moving Posada behind the plate, as opposed to another position. Do you know if he played catcher previously? I'd think it'd be very tough to make that type of conversion. The *safer* bet would be to sign a bunch of kids and hopefully a few pan out.

Wasn't there a rumor about trying to move Mario Valenzuela to catcher? But I think he's injured if I remember correctly, anyone know if he's progressing on that injury? or am I completely wrong about the injury?

Daver
06-23-2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

I appreciate the plug Paul,but I have a career .190 avg. so I doubt ,at my age,I could help.

Casey Rogowski's name does spring to mind though.....

Vsahajpal
06-23-2002, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by daver

I appreciate the plug Paul,but I have a career .190 avg. so I doubt ,at my age,I could help.

Casey Rogowski's name does spring to mind though.....

That was my immediate thought, but I'd hate to stunt his growth as a hitter. I can't imagine moving from 1b (least important position on Bill James' defensive spectrum

1b - LF - RF - 3b - CF - 2b - SS - C)

to catcher.

*I think Casey's a 1b, anyways.

Paulwny
06-24-2002, 06:00 AM

I don't know about his exp. It was mentioned last year or the year before during a yankmee broadcast that Posada was originally a ss.

Paulwny
06-24-2002, 06:19 AM
I guess it was 2nd base not ss, I found this.

Baserunning & Defense
Posada won't try to stretch many gappers or steal many bases, but he is a converted second baseman with decent speed. What he needs to improve is his receiving. Posada could be an above-average defensive player, but he made a staggering 11 errors and allowed a major league-leading 18 passed balls. That's unacceptable, and although he only threw out 24 percent of runners, the Yankees' staff seems to enjoy working with him.

Randar68
06-24-2002, 09:51 AM

That was my immediate thought, but I'd hate to stunt his growth as a hitter. I can't imagine moving from 1b (least important position on Bill James' defensive spectrum

1b - LF - RF - 3b - CF - 2b - SS - C)

to catcher.

*I think Casey's a 1b, anyways.

Casey's a 1B all the way. He is a VERY good defensive player at 1B and runs well for a pretty big guy. I doubt they would ever try to move him...