07-15-2010, 04:26 PM
http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/goodman.post.office.2.1805928.html
:puking:

Rohan
07-15-2010, 04:29 PM
:nocomment:

downstairs
07-15-2010, 04:42 PM
I can't have any hate for Steve Goodman. One of the greatest songwriters of all time. If you wrote "City of New Orleans", I can forgive "Go, Cubs, Go."

MarySwiss
07-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Before anyone launches on this further, I suggest you take a look at Goodman's body of work. "City of New Orleans" speaks for itself, but also check out such songs as "Vegematic," "Lincoln Park Pirates," and "You Never Even Called Me By My Name."

Meanwhile, read the lyrics of "A Dying Cub Fan's Last Request." Not exactly a hymn of praise to the North Side club.

Okay, he was a Cub fan. But he was also a homegrown talent gone way too soon, IMO.

g0g0
07-15-2010, 04:49 PM
I think it's nice he was given the honor of a street sign, but I'm not sure he needs a post office named after him too.

downstairs
07-15-2010, 04:53 PM
I think it's nice he was given the honor of a street sign, but I'm not sure he needs a post office named after him too.

I guess anything can be a memorial, but yeah- a post office is kinda strange. Like... my legacy is... mail?

slavko
07-15-2010, 05:54 PM
I can't have any hate for Steve Goodman. One of the greatest songwriters of all time. If you wrote "City of New Orleans", I can forgive "Go, Cubs, Go."

And yet...He's referred to in all recent stories as the writer of Go Cubs...

The folk anthem/classic City of... is never mentioned. So much for historical accuracy.

MarySwiss
07-15-2010, 05:56 PM
And yet...He's referred to in all recent stories as the writer of Go Cubs...

The folk anthem/classic City of... is never mentioned. So much for historical accuracy.
This is unfortunate, but not his fault. IMO. easily the worst song he ever wrote, but the one he is perhaps best-known for!

soxinem1
07-15-2010, 11:16 PM
I guess anything can be a memorial, but yeah- a post office is kinda strange. Like... my legacy is... mail?

Maybe someone is trying to say that he delivered his tunes to the letter.

TomBradley72
07-16-2010, 12:21 AM
before anyone launches on this further, i suggest you take a look at goodman's body of work. "city of new orleans" speaks for itself, but also check out such songs as "vegematic," "lincoln park pirates," and "you never even called me by my name."

meanwhile, read the lyrics of "a dying cub fan's last request." not exactly a hymn of praise to the north side club.

Okay, he was a cub fan. But he was also a homegrown talent gone way too soon, imo.

+1

BleacherBandit
07-16-2010, 12:43 AM
Seems like he was a good guy. However, Go Cubs Go is probably the worst ****ing song ever.

Boondock Saint
07-16-2010, 01:04 AM

This. I grew up listening to his songs, and he's an amazing songwriter. And for all its sappy Cubbie blue-edness, A Dying Cub Fan's Last Request is a brilliant song.

Sam Spade
07-16-2010, 01:16 AM
I can't forgive go cubs go. Not ever. Not only is it about the cubs, but it is just a terribly cheap song. Any hack could have written that trash. I thought it was some hack that did until right now. I really like that tune "You never even called me by my name". "City of New Orleans" isn't for me.

MarySwiss
07-16-2010, 02:14 AM
I can't forgive go cubs go. Not ever. Not only is it about the cubs, but it is just a terribly cheap song. Any hack could have written that trash. I thought it was some hack that did until right now. I really like that tune "You never even called me by my name". "City of New Orleans" isn't for me.

Try "Vegematic." One of my favorites. Very funny. :cool:

PeteWard
07-16-2010, 06:41 AM
You guys are all nuts. :angry:

He was a great, great songwriter and that Cubs song was just an obnoxious commissioned throwaway which he never played live. Anybody who saw him at the Earl of Old Town back in the day along withthe likes John Prine, Bob Gibson, Fred Holstein et al knows his genius.

A great Chicago artist.

DumpJerry
07-16-2010, 07:55 AM
The guy was talented and died way too soon from an awful disease. Give him a break.

russ99
07-16-2010, 08:25 AM
Steve Goodman was a Chicago icon, and deserves this honor.

However, Go Cubs Go is complete dreck. It's a shame such a talented man has that as the most known part of his legacy.

Sad
07-16-2010, 09:26 AM
The guy was talented and died way too soon from an awful disease. Give him a break.

no ****
I don't get it with the hate for that song...
it's not like it's played at US Cellular...

doublem23
07-16-2010, 09:46 AM
I don't get it with the hate for that song...

Are you serious? I can get behind if you just like Steve Goodman, not my particular taste in music, but hey, to each their own, but how can you not see why we hate Go Cubs, Go? ****tiest. Song. Ever.

g0g0
07-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Are you serious? I can get behind if you just like Steve Goodman, not my particular taste in music, but hey, to each their own, but how can you not see why we hate Go Cubs, Go? ****tiest. Song. Ever.

Not my favorite song either, but if it was "Go Sox, Go" I guarantee it would be a fan favorite on the South Side too lol.

russ99
07-16-2010, 10:17 AM
Not my favorite song either, but if it was "Go Sox, Go" I guarantee it would be a fan favorite on the South Side too lol.

Uh, no.

Lame is lame, no matter the team. The whole "Go Cubs Go" fits in with the cuddly lovable losers and the beer garden attitude up there. Wouldn't fly on the south side.

g0g0
07-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Uh, no.

Lame is lame, no matter the team. The whole "Go Cubs Go" fits in with the cuddly lovable losers and the beer garden attitude up there. Wouldn't fly on the south side.

Have you read the lyrics or really listened to the song? It's folk but that was his style. Tell me what's bad about this song with the Sox inserted:

Baseball season’s underway
Well you better get ready for a brand new day
Hey, Chicago, what do you say
The Sox are gonna win today.
They’re singing …
Go, Sox, go
Go, Sox, go
The Sox are gonna win today
Go, Sox, go
Go, Sox, go
They got the power, they got the speed
To be the best in the American League
Well this is the year and the Sox are real
So come on down to Cellular Field.
We’re singing now …
Go, Sox, go
Go, Sox, go
Go, Sox, go
Go, Sox, go
Baseball time is here again
You can catch it all on CSN
So stamp your feet and clap your hands
Chicago Sox got the greatest fans.
You’re singing now …
Go, Sox, go
Go, Sox, go
Go, Sox, go
Go, Sox, go

I don't see anything about "cuddly lovable losers" or anything that promotes a beer garden attitude.

doublem23
07-16-2010, 11:00 AM

Maybe, but we already have our polka.

TornLabrum
07-16-2010, 11:04 AM
From Wikipedia: "He wrote "Go, Cubs, Go (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/wiki/Go,_Cubs,_Go)" out of spite after then GM Dallas Green (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/wiki/Dallas_Green) called "A Dying Cub Fan's Last Request" too depressing."

I believe that he wrote in in 1984, the year he died. He also died a couple of weeks before the Cubs actually played in a playoff game. One can only speculate on what he would write about the ball that rolled between Leon Durham's legs.

KenBerryGrab
07-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Steve Goodman was a classy, witty guy. So he was a Cub fan. We all have our crosses to bear.

The twin bill shows he'd play with John Prine were classics.

Once he was due to play a double bill with Livingston Taylor at my university. Taylor came down with an illness, and the show was going to be cancelled.

Steve told the concert committee to make it free for the students, and he gave back a good portion of his fee. He then went out and played for two hours, took a bunch of requests and told those some of those great stories he would spin.

I will always love Steve Goodman.

russ99
07-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Have you read the lyrics or really listened to the song? It's folk but that was his style. Tell me what's bad about this song with the Sox inserted:

Baseball season’s underway
Well you better get ready for a brand new day
They’re singing …
Go, Sox, go
Go, Sox, go

:chunks

JohnnyInnsbrook
07-16-2010, 09:52 PM
For those who didn't know, Steve Goodman was believed to have written the the perfect country and western song. This song, however was not the perfect country and western song as it did not mention anything about mama, trains, trucks, prison, or getting drunk. Steve Goodman sat down and wrote another verse to the song making it the perfect country and western song. The verse is included on David Allan Coes fourth Album and goes like this....

WELL, I WAS DRUNK THE DAY MY MOM GOT OUT OF PRISON
AND I WENT TO PICK HER UP IN THE RAIN
BUT BEFORE I COULD GET TO THE STATION IN MY PICKUP TRUCK
SHE GOT RUN NED OVER BY A DAMNED OLD TRAIN

:gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp:

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-16-2010, 11:38 PM
:chunks

+2

Frontman
07-17-2010, 12:23 AM
Speaking as a mail carrier; not as a Sox fan.

I think offices if they are named for anyone; it should be for the men and women who give the ultimate sacrifice to their community and country that we should honor. Those who through their last full measure of devotion give their own lives so we can live ours.

Not songwriters; or anyone else, period.

The man was already honored with a street named for him. That's enough.

C-Dawg
07-17-2010, 09:17 AM

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpgloOssBR4

TheOldRoman
07-17-2010, 01:05 PM
For those who didn't know, Steve Goodman was believed to have written the the perfect country and western song. This song, however was not the perfect country and western song as it did not mention anything about mama, trains, trucks, prison, or getting drunk. Steve Goodman sat down and wrote another verse to the song making it the perfect country and western song. The verse is included on David Allan Coes fourth Album and goes like this....

:gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::thumbsup:

downstairs
07-17-2010, 06:30 PM
Meh. I don't think "Go, Cubs, Go" is any cheesier than "Go Go White Sox". Especially for their relative time periods.

I can't stand the Cubs, but that aside: "Go, Cubs, Go" isn't horrible. Its catchy, and its something everyone can sing along to- which is what you want from a sports anthem.

chisoxfanatic
07-17-2010, 06:38 PM
http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/goodman.post.office.2.1805928.html
:puking:
I find it fitting that they are honoring him by naming a post office after him. The post office loses a lot of our mail, while the Cubs lose a lot of games.

slavko
07-17-2010, 06:59 PM
Meh. I don't think "Go, Cubs, Go" is any cheesier than "Go Go White Sox". Especially for their relative time periods.

I can't stand the Cubs, but that aside: "Go, Cubs, Go" isn't horrible. Its catchy, and its something everyone can sing along to- which is what you want from a sports anthem.

Yes, but Li'l Wally was blessed by Pope John Paul and Steve Goodman wasn't.

Otherwise, you're right, I was thinking the same.

PeteWard
07-18-2010, 12:58 AM
Speaking as a mail carrier; not as a Sox fan.

I think offices if they are named for anyone; it should be for the men and women who give the ultimate sacrifice to their community and country that we should honor. Those who through their last full measure of devotion give their own lives so we can live ours.

Not songwriters; or anyone else, period.

The man was already honored with a street named for him. That's enough.

I nominate this p.o hero and giant of a man:

http://sharetv.org/images/seinfeld/cast/large/newman.jpg

madisonsoxfan
07-18-2010, 01:55 AM
You guys are all nuts. :angry:

He was a great, great songwriter and that Cubs song was just an obnoxious commissioned throwaway which he never played live. Anybody who saw him at the Earl of Old Town back in the day along withthe likes John Prine, Bob Gibson, Fred Holstein et al knows his genius.

A great Chicago artist.

Thank you for bringing Fred Holstein into the mix. My folks got "Fred Holstein: A Collection." I now have this... and it is essentially a Chicago Folk Anthem album for me. Back in the day, my dad took guitar lessons at the Old Town School of Folk. Influences for me certainly include Goodman, Prine and others. I didn't know the influence/support of Fred and Eddie Holstein until I had that CD. Chicago folk history just waiting to be listened to.

I understand some do not like the folk sound etc. But if you do, check out Fred Holstein, dig deep with Steve Goodman, and for crying out loud... John Prine. Youtube it all! Well... not Fred... not yet. :(

Goodman gets regular play on Madison's independent radio station for the folk and country programs and I've never heard "Go Cubs Go." It is not his legacy.

tony1972
07-18-2010, 03:28 PM
Before anyone launches on this further, I suggest you take a look at Goodman's body of work. "City of New Orleans" speaks for itself, but also check out such songs as "Vegematic," "Lincoln Park Pirates," and "You Never Even Called Me By My Name."

Meanwhile, read the lyrics of "A Dying Cub Fan's Last Request." Not exactly a hymn of praise to the North Side club.

Okay, he was a Cub fan. But he was also a homegrown talent gone way too soon, IMO.

I agree with you 100%. He was a young talent who died of cancer way too early. But my god! he was a Cubs fan! So he was a bad person..:scratch:

Seriously...lighten up people!

g0g0
07-18-2010, 04:43 PM
Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpgloOssBR4

LOL! Good stuff! :D:

TheVulture
07-19-2010, 01:31 AM
City of New Orleans is a great song, and Goodman's version is the best. I'm not even a Goodman fan, but I had never even heard of his cub song until I read about it on WSI while CONW alone puts him in the great category of songwriters. I wouldn't think many non chicago baseball fans even think of the cub song when it comes Goodman.

TheVulture
07-19-2010, 01:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXGFKpWUOW0

Foulke You
07-19-2010, 02:44 PM

"Go Go White Sox" is a fight song and nothing like the Cubs song in my opinion. Lots of sports teams have fight songs. Fight songs aren't that cheesy. The Bears have a fight song, most colleges have fight songs, etc. It's very common in sports. What the North Siders have in "Go Cubs Go" is complete pop trash. I won't rip on the singer and writer because I've never heard any of his other songs. However, I hate "Go Cubs Go" with a passion. If there is a White Sox fan section in Hell, that song will be playing in endless loop in the background.

MarySwiss
07-19-2010, 03:43 PM
City of New Orleans is a great song, and Goodman's version is the best. I'm not even a Goodman fan, but I had never even heard of his cub song until I read about it on WSI while CONW alone puts him in the great category of songwriters. I wouldn't think many non chicago baseball fans even think of the cub song when it comes Goodman.

Sadly, if Arizona is any indication, people outside of Chicago never heard of Steve Goodman. (Unless they're musicians, of course; local musicians all seem to know him.) But once you mention he wrote City of New Orleans, they all nod their heads.

I hope that anyone who has read this thread but not heard many of his songs will check some of them out. Many are available on YouTube.