PDA

View Full Version : Game Day Advice

NOLA Sox Fan
07-15-2010, 01:40 PM
I'm coming in for my annual trip to Chicago to catch some Sox games in a few weeks. I have some questions though. What is the best way to go about getting tickets? Since I only get to come to a couple a year, I like to have decent seats. Would Stubhub be my best option? I'm planning on going to the 8/12 and 8/15 games.

Also, I know there isn't anywhere around the stadium, but is there a bar that a lot of Sox fans go to before the games to have a few beers?

While I've been to Chicago 4 years in a row, we are usually with my sister in law who is a huge cubs fan....so she is of little help in these areas.

Thanks guys!

manders_01
07-15-2010, 02:08 PM
I'll comment on the tickets because I too get only a few for the Sox per year and also prefer good seats. I would recommend trying the Sox website first and then StubHub. I don't typically find tickets for face value or below on StubHub so you may be able to find face value with the Sox.

beasly213
07-15-2010, 02:23 PM
There are actually a few places you can go for a few drinks before the game in Bridgeport.

You have to walk a little bit but not too bad from the park.

Rocky's is a bar and Grill on 31st and Wells with decent food and a nice place.

Cork and Kerry's at the Park just opened on 33rd and Princeton

Buffalo Wings and Rings is on 34th and Halsted and provides a free shuttle to and from games. (Although I'm not a fan of that place)

If you're looking for just a drink you can head to my favorite Bar Berneices on 33rd and Halsted.

Enjoy!

WizardsofOzzie
07-15-2010, 02:27 PM
I've hit up Mitchell's Tap (http://www.yelp.com/biz/mitchells-tap-chicago) on Halsted after a game before with ChiSoxGirl (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=4350) and had a lot of fun. Only about a mile away from the park

doublem23
07-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Stubhub is likely the best option for tickets.

As for bars, there's a few good ones not terribly far from the stadium.

Cork & Kerry at the Park just opened in the old Jimbo's (3258 S. Princeton), Wings & Rings (3434 S. Halsted) and Rocky's (234 W. 31st) are both decent choices, too.

GoGoCrede
07-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Check the Ticket Exchange forum to see if any half-price ticket codes are available. If so, good. If not, go with Stubhub.

I would definitely stick with the 100-level if you don't go to too many games - it's really great and the concourse is always worth exploring.

TDog
07-15-2010, 06:43 PM
I've been to a lot of baseball games, and I have never had any trouble during the regular season getting good seats at the ticket windown an hour before the game. Even games that are supposed to be in demand have good seats suddenly show up as gametime approaches.

I'm sure the WSI exchange can be trusted, but I would never patronize Stub Hub under any circumstances.

SephClone89
07-15-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm sure the WSI exchange can be trusted, but I would never patronize Stub Hub under any circumstances.

...Why not? :scratch:

gregoriop
07-15-2010, 07:37 PM
...Why not? :scratch:

Yeah really, I've never had any issues.

kittle42
07-15-2010, 10:16 PM
If you pay over face for tickets this season in Chicago - for either team - you haven't looked hard enough for tickets.

beasly213
07-15-2010, 10:25 PM
if you pay over face for tickets this season in chicago - for either team - you haven't looked hard enough for tickets.

+1

NOLA Sox Fan
07-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I actually had no idea that there were good bars within walking distance. I can't wait to get up there.

DumpJerry
07-19-2010, 12:15 PM
I've sold many tickets there. They have a very trustworthy system where when you buy the tickets and once your payment clears, you get a valid barcode for the ticket(s) you bought. As soon as your payment goes through, the bar code on the hard copy of the tickets is invalidated so the Seller cannot use the hard tickets or sell them elsewhere.

doublem23
07-19-2010, 12:17 PM
I've sold many tickets there. They have a very trustworthy system where when you buy the tickets and once your payment clears, you get a valid barcode for the ticket(s) you bought. As soon as your payment goes through, the bar code on the hard copy of the tickets is invalidated so the Seller cannot use the hard tickets or sell them elsewhere.

Yeah, maybe back in the old days, Stub Hub was totally wild but now they're official partners with MLB, I'd assume the only hang up anyone could have with it now is not liking to use credit card info. over the internet.

RustyKuntz
07-19-2010, 03:36 PM
I always enjoy Schaller's Pump on Halsted. You can park your car there and walk to the game. It's also the oldest continuously operated tavern in Chicago.

It's a no-frills dive...but great Bridgeport personality and really good food at a reasonable price. (the kitchen is only open for dinner)

They don't have a web site, but you can check out a good review here:
http://www.chibarproject.com/Reviews/Schaller%27sPump/Schaller%27sPump.htm

TomBradley72
07-19-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm coming in for my annual trip to Chicago to catch some Sox games in a few weeks. I have some questions though. What is the best way to go about getting tickets? Since I only get to come to a couple a year, I like to have decent seats. Would Stubhub be my best option? I'm planning on going to the 8/12 and 8/15 games.

Also, I know there isn't anywhere around the stadium, but is there a bar that a lot of Sox fans go to before the games to have a few beers?

While I've been to Chicago 4 years in a row, we are usually with my sister in law who is a huge cubs fan....so she is of little help in these areas.

Thanks guys!

I've had luck finding Club Level seats near face value through stubhub this year..ends up being a little more than good 100 level seats at face value through ticket master. If you're traveling a long distance, 300 level can be some nice insurance vs. rain, etc.

Wife and I want on July 5th...great seats, great fans around us, no lines for food, etc...and I like the angle of the game.

NOLA Sox Fan
07-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Thanks Tom. The club level does sound nice. Is there access to the lower levels with club tickets? I'm hoping to walk around the stadium before the game.

I'm traveling a good distance (New Orleans), so the option to go in the lounge if it rains would be a nice insurance policy.

TomBradley72
07-19-2010, 04:56 PM
Thanks Tom. The club level does sound nice. Is there access to the lower levels with club tickets? I'm hoping to walk around the stadium before the game.

I'm traveling a good distance (New Orleans), so the option to go in the lounge if it rains would be a nice insurance policy.

I believe so (since it's considered premium seating), but you may want to check with the White Sox to be sure.