PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else See This "Votto Hates The Cubs" Thing?

LongLiveFisk
07-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Didn't see this come up using the search function, so hopefully this is not a repeat...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Reds-Votto-dislikes-Cubs-disses-All-Star-teamm?urn=mlb%2C256004

stacksedwards
07-14-2010, 07:58 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Reds-Votto-dislikes-Cubs-disses-All-Star-teamm?urn=mlb%2C256004#remaining-content

Brian26
07-14-2010, 08:01 PM
I like his attitude.

Crede24Thome25
07-14-2010, 08:29 PM
I died laughing when I saw it. I'm a bigger votto fan now then ever. At least he speaks his mind.

Ron Karkovice
07-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Was Votto on the team a few years back when cubs fans were throwing all that trash on the field? I think they were playing the Reds that day. Or maybe I'm making all sorts of things up.

soxfanreggie
07-14-2010, 08:46 PM
Good for him. There's nothing to say you have to get along with your teammates on an All-Star roster.

LongLiveFisk
07-14-2010, 09:13 PM
It's funny reading some of those comments. I am surprised they even let people post comments under stories anymore because sometimes it just gets out of control.

Hendu
07-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Wish more players were like this...it's not Major League Brotherhood. I prefer when the players have the same feeling towards rivals as the fans do, and can be honest about it.

Having said that, how did Votto "diss" Byrd exactly? Because he didn't pat Byrd on the back? Looks like one of those fake outrage to stir **** up opinion pieces.

FielderJones
07-14-2010, 09:55 PM
how did Votto "diss" Byrd exactly? Because he didn't pat Byrd on the back? Looks like one of those fake outrage to stir **** up opinion pieces.

In the old days the media reported facts without opinion. Now it's all about "narrative". The Cubune was masterful in creating the "everyone loves the Cubs" :puking: narrative. Now, when someone goes against the narrative, they have to be pilloried in outrage.

Did you see this in the article: "and also worked a key walk in a seventh-inning rally". Worked a walk. As if not swinging at balls over your head is work.

chisoxfanatic
07-14-2010, 10:51 PM
Was Votto on the team a few years back when cubs fans were throwing all that trash on the field? I think they were playing the Reds that day. Or maybe I'm making all sorts of things up.
I thought that was Victorino they were throwing things at.

Sam Spade
07-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Maybe votto is really fond of his manager. Whatever his reasons are, he is right to hate the cubs.

stockonline2
07-14-2010, 11:00 PM
I thought that was Victorino they were throwing things at.

That was a different time when Cub fans threw crap on the field. This kind of behavior happens all the time. I'll never forget the time AJ hit that three run bomb in the ninth at Wrigley. I was sitting in the bleachers and the fans started throwing garbage on the field. All of the poor grounds crew people were scrambling to pick it up fast enough but it just kept coming. I vividly remember people throwing full water bottles and trying to nail these guys.

But hey, the Cubs have the best fans in the world.

TheVulture
07-14-2010, 11:12 PM
Now, when someone goes against the narrative, they have to be pilloried in outrage.

Well said there Jones.

GoGoCrede
07-14-2010, 11:23 PM

Is that when Marty Brennaman went completely ape**** and called the Cubs, their organization, and the fans out? Pure gold.

WizardsofOzzie
07-15-2010, 08:35 AM
Is that when Marty Brennaman went completely ape**** and called the Cubs, their organization, and the fans out? Pure gold.

Sounds right. Here's the thread about that

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=100045

TheOldRoman
07-15-2010, 08:59 AM
Wish more players were like this...it's not Major League Brotherhood. I prefer when the players have the same feeling towards rivals as the fans do, and can be honest about it.

Having said that, how did Votto "diss" Byrd exactly? Because he didn't pat Byrd on the back? Looks like one of those fake outrage to stir **** up opinion pieces.Exactly. Maybe he was kidding about not patting him on the back. Maybe he said it with a smile on his face. Regardless, Votto apparently has a good head on his shoulders. There is nothing to like about the Cubs.

doublem23
07-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Did you see this in the article: "and also worked a key walk in a seventh-inning rally". Worked a walk. As if not swinging at balls over your head is work.

Yeah, it's so easy, no wonder everyone who plays baseball has an OBP around .900.

Also, he fouled off several close pitches against one of the best relievers in baseball. If Konerko had done the same, down 0-2, we'd all be saying what a great at bat it was.

g0g0
07-15-2010, 09:12 AM
What a putz. You don't have to like your teammates, but you can respect them. I'd might be mad if the Reds had done anything since 1995, but they haven't. They are having a good year so I hope he enjoys it. I don't even think about the Reds when I think about rivalries. It's just the Cards.

cws05champ
07-15-2010, 09:18 AM
What a putz. You don't have to like your teammates, but you can respect them. I'd might be mad if the Reds had done anything since 1995, but they haven't. They are having a good year so I hope he enjoys it. I don't even think about the Reds when I think about rivalries. It's just the Cards.
I think you'll be alone on this board on this one. He never said he didn't respect him. He said he made a good play. He said he just doesn't like the Cubs, and as an opponent there's nothing wrong with that. He just spoke his mind and will be loved by his own fans(and others who hate the Cubs) and lambasted by Cubs fans...big deal.

Craig Grebeck
07-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Yeah, it's so easy, no wonder everyone who plays baseball has an OBP around .900.

Also, he fouled off several close pitches against one of the best relievers in baseball. If Konerko had done the same, down 0-2, we'd all be saying what a great at bat it was.
This. What a moronic thing to say. Pitch recognition is definitely a skill.

I'm not sure, as a Cub fan, you really want to use this line of defense against the Cincinnati Reds.

Tragg
07-15-2010, 09:43 AM
I'd might be mad if the Reds had done anything since 1995, but they haven't. .

True, but 1995 is more recent than 1905.

Craig Grebeck
07-15-2010, 09:53 AM
1990, 1976, 1975, etc.

g0g0
07-15-2010, 10:49 AM
I think you'll be alone on this board on this one. He never said he didn't respect him. He said he made a good play. He said he just doesn't like the Cubs, and as an opponent there's nothing wrong with that. He just spoke his mind and will be loved by his own fans(and others who hate the Cubs) and lambasted by Cubs fans...big deal.

I read that he wouldn't even acknowledge him. The funny thing is players switch teams all the time now. If it's a good player and they get on your team from a rival they normally love the guy. I guess it must be a personal thing. Reds/Cubs just isn't a huge rivalry.

I'm not sure, as a Cub fan, you really want to use this line of defense against the Cincinnati Reds.

I'm just saying they haven't done anything since 1995. That includes the playoffs. Cubs have been there multiple times winning the Central I think 3x during the span.

They didn't win it all in 1995, and I'm not sure where 1905 is from. If you are talking WS wins for the Cubs it's 1908 as the last.

soxfan43
07-15-2010, 11:32 AM

Having said that, how did Votto "diss" Byrd exactly? Because he didn't pat Byrd on the back? Looks like one of those fake outrage to stir **** up opinion pieces.

I wish the NBA less the National Basketball Brotherhood too. Everyone's too friendly now.

Rockabilly
07-15-2010, 11:45 AM
I like his attitude.. Players should hate their opponents.

Noir
07-15-2010, 12:02 PM
I read that he wouldn't even acknowledge him. The funny thing is players switch teams all the time now. If it's a good player and they get on your team from a rival they normally love the guy. I guess it must be a personal thing. Reds/Cubs just isn't a huge rivalry.

I'm just saying they haven't done anything since 1995. That includes the playoffs. Cubs have been there multiple times winning the Central I think 3x during the span.

They didn't win it all in 1995, and I'm not sure where 1905 is from. If you are talking WS wins for the Cubs it's 1908 as the last.

The Reds won the NL Central in 1995.

g0g0
07-15-2010, 01:07 PM
The Reds won the NL Central in 1995.

I know, that's why I said since 1995.

Tragg
07-15-2010, 11:11 PM
1905 just kind of rhymed with 1995 and I figured it was in the ballpark. Thanks for the correction, 1908. And as Grebeck said, 1990, 1976, 1975, etc.

palehozenychicty
07-15-2010, 11:43 PM
Good. It's fine to hate other teams, especially if you need to beat them for a shot at a title.

esbrechtel
07-16-2010, 01:29 AM
That was a different time when Cub fans threw crap on the field. This kind of behavior happens all the time. I'll never forget the time AJ hit that three run bomb in the ninth at Wrigley. I was sitting in the bleachers and the fans started throwing garbage on the field. All of the poor grounds crew people were scrambling to pick it up fast enough but it just kept coming. I vividly remember people throwing full water bottles and trying to nail these guys.

But hey, the Cubs have the best fans in the world.

I was also at the game and many people also threw jerseys onto the field...

PeteWard
07-16-2010, 05:34 AM

I can't remember - it happens so often up there.

theamb
07-16-2010, 07:57 AM

I.E. most of the people here that obsess 24/7 about the Cubs and take as much pride in them losing as the Sox winning.

Pretty dickish move by Votto

doublem23
07-16-2010, 08:10 AM
I.E. most of the people here that obsess 24/7 about the Cubs and take as much pride in them losing as the Sox winning.

:rolleyes:

6,000 threads in the Cubs/garbage forum. 45,000 in the Sox forum.

This place was also so much fun to be around in April and May, when the Sox and Cubs were losing. You know, because we love watching the Cubs more than the Sox win!

Strike 1 for trolling.

theamb
07-16-2010, 09:23 AM

This place was also so much fun to be around in April and May, when the Sox and Cubs were losing. You know, because we love watching the Cubs more than the Sox win!

Strike 1 for trolling.

An entire forum pretty much dedicated to obsessing about every little thing the Cubs do or say. No matter directly or indirectly.

Enough said.

GoSox2K3
07-16-2010, 09:36 AM

An entire forum pretty much dedicated to obsessing about every little thing the Cubs do or say. No matter directly or indirectly.

Enough said.

Riigggghhht. It's so obvious that there are more posts on WSI about Cubs loses than about Sox victories. When the Cubs lost on Sunday in L.A., there were so many posts here about it that I'm surprised the WSI server didn't crash. :dtroll:

"most people here take as much pride in Cubs losing as Sox winning" =:bs:

But since you said "enough said" that obviously makes you right. :rolleyes:

TheOldRoman
07-16-2010, 09:45 AM

Strike 1 for trolling.If that is only strike 1 you haven't paid much attention to him.

doublem23
07-16-2010, 09:50 AM

Enough said.

This forum is the garbage dump for the baseball talk. It's just like the Roadhouse, Cubs talk, idiotic trade rumors, etc. all end up here so they die and don't waste time on the boards dedicated to real baseball talk.

When you're on staff of a fansite that has almost 15,000 registered users and over 2.5 million posts in it's 10+ years of existance, you can tell me how we should run and arrange our message boards. If the way we do things here doesn't suit you, you're welcome to take your holier than thou attitude elsewhere. You've been a registered member for a couple of months, OBVIOUSLY that qualifies you as an expert on how things should be run and make blanket statements that personally insult every single member of this community.

LongLiveFisk
07-17-2010, 11:14 PM

Enough said.

Just an FYI, I posted this thread because I thought it was kind of an interesting story. It just so happens the Cubs are involved.

TomBradley72
07-18-2010, 11:36 AM
So if Votto said he didn't like the Mets,Yankees, Phillies, etc. would this even be a story? No way.

It's analagous to when you tell people you're from Chicago, but you don't like the Cubs, you're a White Sox fan, and they look at you with that "How can you not love the Cubbies?" look.

Same thing with the media, God forbid someone doesn't like the Cubs, their wonderful fans, wonderful Wrigley Field, wonderful Ron Santo, etc.