PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday, Robin Ventura

soltrain21
07-14-2010, 07:39 PM
Happy 43rd birthday to my favorite Sox player of all time.

When I was 9 years old we stayed in the same hotel as the White Sox when my dad took me and my brother down for the weekend series against Kansas City. I met many players that weekend, but Robin was the one I wanted to meet most. Late Saturday night I got that chance and he was as nice as could be to me. Great guy.

BadBobbyJenks
07-14-2010, 07:42 PM
First White Sox jersey I ever had was Ventura, one of my favorite Sox players ever.

LongLiveFisk
07-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Oh yeah! :happybday, Robin!

He was one of my favorites. :D:

esbrechtel
07-14-2010, 07:49 PM
He was also my favorite sox player...I used to have a Rockin' Robin poster from Niketown in my room when I was little....I wonder what happened to that poster :scratch:

ChiSoxGirl
07-14-2010, 07:53 PM
:happybday I ♥ Robin -- always have, always will. :bandance:

Brian26
07-14-2010, 08:00 PM
My favorite Sox player of all-time, probably because he was the first real third baseman I ever saw the Sox have. July 31, 1991 is still my favorite Sox memory up until the 2005 season. Happy Birthday to the sweet swinger.

SOXSINCE'70
07-14-2010, 08:06 PM
Happy birthday to the Sweet Swinger.

July 31st marks the 19th anniversary of one of the greatest moments in White Sox regular season history;that night, Robin Ventura took Goose Gossage deep for a game ending grand slam giving the Sox a 10-8 come from behind victory. I can remember Robin rounding the bases doing the same "finger wag" that Fisk used to do when he hit one out. Once Robin touched home plate, The Big Hurt picked him up and threw him over his shoulder as if he were a rag doll. I kept screaming at my TV, "Don't hurt him! Don't hurt him!".I tried to go to sleep right after the game ended after 10:30 that night.No good. I had insomnia for at least 3 hours.I had to work early the next day.Wow, that was one of the longest work days I can remember.

TornLabrum
07-14-2010, 09:16 PM
Robin did a few events during the early years of the late, lamented Windy City Sox Fans, so I got to meet him and his parents. Good people.

#1swisher
07-14-2010, 09:20 PM
:happybday my favorite player, as well.:gulp:

TomBradley72
07-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Happy birthday to the Sweet Swinger.

July 31st marks the 19th anniversary of one of the greatest moments in White Sox regular season history;that night, Robin Ventura took Goose Gossage deep for a game ending grand slam giving the Sox a 10-8 come from behind victory. I can remember Robin rounding the bases doing the same "finger wag" that Fisk used to do when he hit one out. Once Robin touched home plate, The Big Hurt picked him up and threw him over his shoulder as if he were a rag doll. I kept screaming at my TV, "Don't hurt him! Don't hurt him!".I tried to go to sleep right after the game ended after 10:30 that night.No good. I had insomnia for at least 3 hours.I had to work early the next day.Wow, that was one of the longest work days I can remember.

I was there, right behind home plate, it was an incredible experience. With a sold out crowd (a good WSox team in their new ballpark) who had stayed all the way to the end (the Sox were the comeback kids that year, no one left early when they were down by a few)..one of the most "joyous" moments of baseball I'd been a part of until Paulie's slam & Pods' walk off.

Hitmen77
07-14-2010, 10:38 PM
:happybday

Robin Ventura is also my favorite Sox player of all time....although Mark Buehrle has been making a run for that distinction over the past decade. :cool: