PDA

View Full Version : A player like CQ or TCQ?

JermaineDye05
07-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Watching the past couple games and going over the highlights the past few days, I'm trying to figure out who this Carlos Quentin really is. Is this just the new Quentin on a tear or is this in fact THE Carlos Quentin that we all remember from 2008?

I tend to lean towards the latter, merely because it makes me feel that much more optimistic about this club. Also just looking at the homeruns he's been hitting. Since 2008 he's had his power still, but it always seemed like balls that only made it because Hawk would throw out one extra "Stretch!" Now he's getting those mammoth line drive homeruns that we remember from 2008.

So I ask you:

Is this simply a player like Carlos Quentin or is this in fact THE Carlos Quentin that damn near won an MVP for us in 2008?

october23sp
07-14-2010, 03:55 PM
This isn't CQ or TCQ, it's the T.

russ99
07-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Watching the past couple games and going over the highlights the past few days, I'm trying to figure out who this Carlos Quentin really is. Is this just the new Quentin on a tear or is this in fact THE Carlos Quentin that we all remember from 2008?

I tend to lean towards the latter, merely because it makes me feel that much more optimistic about this club. Also just looking at the homeruns he's been hitting. Since 2008 he's had his power still, but it always seemed like balls that only made it because Hawk would throw out one extra "Stretch!" Now he's getting those mammoth line drive homeruns that we remember from 2008.

So I ask you:

Is this simply a player like Carlos Quentin or is this in fact THE Carlos Quentin that damn near won an MVP for us in 2008?

He's totally on a tear. But if he keeps it up for another month and a half, then he's earned the "T" back.

I have to admit I was terribly wrong. Dude wasn't washed up.

Rdy2PlayBall
07-14-2010, 04:13 PM
He's been on pace for 100 rbi's almost all season, nothing near bad. Just before, all his RBI's were sac-flys and cheap RBIs (if you want to call any RBI cheap). But now, he's just a monster and nothing can stop him. The only reason people said he was bad is because his low average... but as long as he is responsible for almost 200 runs at the end of the season, who cares about average and OBP? So far, he is having a good season, and if he keeps it up, it could be a GREAT season.

I say the "T" deserves to be put there until we're proven wrong. (which I hope we're not :redface:)

Lillian
07-14-2010, 06:27 PM
I recently posted this in another thread:

Here's an interesting stat:
"In a White Sox uniform, Carlos has now hit a total of 76 homers in 1,093 at bats.
That's a homer every 14 at bats, which projects to 40 homers per season.
This year he is right on that same pace of one home run per every 14 at bats."

Most players go through periods when they struggle, especially if they're dealing with injuries. He was remarkably consistent in 2008, until he broke his wrist. When a young player can amass that kind of production over his first 1,000 plus at bats in the League, through injuries and time on the DL, I'd say that it's fair to give him his due.

It seems reasonable to recognize him as a true slugger, "TCQ", or whatever you like.

Zisk77
07-14-2010, 06:51 PM
I just think its a matter of him being healthy. Healthy = 2008

Frater Perdurabo
07-14-2010, 07:35 PM
I think he is:

1. Immensely talented with the bat;

2. Immensely powerful;

3. Immensely studious in perfecting his swing;

4. Injury-prone;

5. Streaky.

None of these things are mutually exclusive.

guillensdisciple
07-14-2010, 07:44 PM
I don't think any of these apply due to the reason you mentioned. He never showed power in 2008, he showed hitting. He would hit home runs, but they were never mammoth or of this proportion. He was just a hell of a hitter. Right now, he is absolutely MASHING and that is the "monster form of tcq". To me, he is CQE. Carlos Quentin Evolved.

BadBobbyJenks
07-14-2010, 07:44 PM
I think he is:

1. Immensely talented with the bat;

2. Immensely powerful;

3. Immensely studious in perfecting his swing;

4. Injury-prone;

5. Streaky.

None of these things are mutually exclusive.

I will add 6. Self Critical to a fault

SOXSINCE'70
07-14-2010, 07:45 PM
THE Carlos Quentin!!

SoxGirl4Life
07-14-2010, 07:46 PM
I will add 6. Self Critical to a fault

Mitch Talbot got us *3* times? And Lerew has to be deleted from your list. We handled him pretty well on Sunday

BadBobbyJenks
07-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Mitch Talbot got us *3* times? And Lerew has to be deleted from your list. We handled him pretty well on Sunday

Doesn't change the fact that the first time Lerew made us look foolish. I haven't added to this list in weeks!

SoxGirl4Life
07-14-2010, 07:51 PM
Doesn't change the fact that the first time Lerew made us look foolish. I haven't added to this list in weeks!

Fair enough. But Mitch Talbot? I can't even place what team that is.. lol

guillensdisciple
07-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Fair enough. But Mitch Talbot? I can't even place what team that is.. lol

The Indians I believe

SoxGirl4Life
07-14-2010, 07:53 PM
The Indians I believe

Oh. Them. Fourth time will be the charm?

BadBobbyJenks
07-14-2010, 08:16 PM
And yes the Indians, I think we no decisioned him once, but he still dominated us.

SephClone89
07-14-2010, 08:56 PM
And yes the Indians, I think we no decisioned him once, but he still dominated us.

That's right. How the hell could people forget?

Crede24Thome25
07-14-2010, 09:13 PM
THE Carlos Quentin!!
According to The Big Hurt it's Carlos "Bam Bam" Quentin:D: