PDA

View Full Version : Jays and Braves trade

Rockabilly
07-14-2010, 12:06 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/07/blue-jays-acquire-yunel-escobar.html

I like the trade for the Jays

GAsoxfan
07-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Are the Jays' prospects legit? If not, this is basically an attitude trade for the Braves b/c Escobar is a much better player than Gonzalez.

Pablo_Honey
07-14-2010, 12:29 PM
They must have really hated his attitude because it is downright stupid to sell low on a shortstop who is still young and has shown the ability to both hit and field well. This deal looks like an absolute highway robbery by the Jays right now.

DirtySox
07-14-2010, 12:31 PM
They must have really hated his attitude because it is downright stupid to sell low on a shortstop who is still young and has shown the ability to both hit and field well. This deal looks like an absolute highway robbery by the Jays right now.

Agreed. Talk about selling low.

34 Inch Stick
07-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Are the Jays' prospects legit? .

One of them is a 5'7" pitcher. You don't see that too often.

PaleHoser
07-14-2010, 12:35 PM
The double-whammy on this deal is that the Braves moved Elvis Andrus in the Texiera trade and handed Escobar the job.

Huisj
07-14-2010, 12:37 PM
Collins (the lefty reliever) in the trade is kind of fascinating player. I saw him pitch a lot here in Lansing for the Lugnuts a few years ago when he was 18. He went undrafted because he's so little, but he just blew guys away with crazy stuff. He's tiny (seriously, looks like a high school team batboy), but guys were always behind on his fastball and his curve was just nasty. He comes straight over the top with a big motion and a big long stride. He was incredibly fun to watch pitch.

Granted, that was only the low-A midwest league, but the kid was 18 years old and dominated people, and he's had success at each level since then too.

delben91
07-14-2010, 12:45 PM
One of them is a 5'7" pitcher. You don't see that too often.

How tall was Jim Parque? I'm sure he was taller than 5'7" but he was on the short side.

WhiteSox5187
07-14-2010, 12:47 PM
]One of them is a 5'7" pitcher. You don't see that too often[/B].

I'm 5'7! That means I can be a pitcher! Woohoo!

tstrike2000
07-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Though listed at 5'11" Cliff Politte was only like 5'8" in reality and even though he didn't have a long career as a reliever could whistle that ball up there mid to low 90's in part by using that strong lower body he had.

Huisj
07-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Though listed at 5'11" Cliff Politte was only like 5'8" in reality and even though he didn't have a long career as a reliever could whistle that ball up there mid to low 90's in part by using that strong lower body he had.

Interesting article about Collins (with some pictures) here:

http://mopupduty.com/index.php/tim-collins-bio/

He looks significantly smaller than Politte. Having seen Collins pitch from seats 5 rows behind the plate and having seen Politte pitch from seats 30 rows back down the third base line, I'd have to say Politte looked a lot bigger than Collins.

shes
07-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Agreed. Talk about selling low.

Agreed again. Kind of a strange trade.

RockJock07
07-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Collins (the lefty reliever) in the trade is kind of fascinating player. I saw him pitch a lot here in Lansing for the Lugnuts a few years ago when he was 18. He went undrafted because he's so little, but he just blew guys away with crazy stuff. He's tiny (seriously, looks like a high school team batboy), but guys were always behind on his fastball and his curve was just nasty. He comes straight over the top with a big motion and a big long stride. He was incredibly fun to watch pitch.

Granted, that was only the low-A midwest league, but the kid was 18 years old and dominated people, and he's had success at each level since then too.

This Collins kid has insane numbers at AA too in the eastern league.

BadBobbyJenks
07-14-2010, 08:14 PM
I laughed at seeing the Sox sign Jeremy Reed story to the right of this trade article.