PDA

View Full Version : A cheaper trade thought

Rockabilly
07-14-2010, 10:42 AM
How about a trade with the Blue Jays for Overbay, Romero and Downs? We wouldn't have to give up to much for these guys and it will fill our 3 needs.

sox1970
07-14-2010, 10:52 AM
You lost everybody at Romero.

DirtySox
07-14-2010, 10:52 AM
How about a trade with the Blue Jays for Overbay, Romero and Downs? We wouldn't have to give up to much for these guys and it will fill our 3 needs.

Romero is anything but cheap. He will require a substantial haul. Downs will be a type A free agent and the Jays would seek something equal to the picks that they might obtain. Nothing about this proposal is cheap except Overbay.

Rockabilly
07-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Romero is anything but cheap. He will require a substantial haul. Downs will be a type A free agent and the Jays would seek something equal to the picks that they might obtain. Nothing about this proposal is cheap except Overbay.

I don't think we would have to give up a lot for Overbay and Downs. The Jays want to trade both of these players by the deadline.. The Jays also haven't been very happy with Romero this year.

My thought a package for these 3 guys might be similiar to a package for Dunn, Haren or any top notch player. Why not fill 3 holes instead of one.

Rockabilly
07-14-2010, 11:02 AM

Downs might be a type A free agent but they aren't going to offer him ARB.

Pablo_Honey
07-14-2010, 11:42 AM
The Jays also haven't been very happy with Romero this year.
Right, because a rebuilding organization will trade a young pitcher who's posting an ERA under 4 with nice peripherals. Come on, let's get real here. There is no way Romero gets traded unless the return was really really really good.

My thought a package for these 3 guys might be similiar to a package for Dunn, Haren or any top notch player. Why not fill 3 holes instead of one.
While your idea makes sense, those 3 guys don't exactly fill the glaring holes. Our rotation is in need of a bona-fide ace, which Romero is not (at least not yet); our lineup needs a strong lefty bat in the middle, something Overbay is not; and our bullpen is fine as it is (Threets is here and Sale is making his way through the minors).

Downs might be a type A free agent but they aren't going to offer him ARB.
Huh, I don't follow the Jays but are you sure about this? It seems stupid to not offer him arb because he won't make all that much in arb and he's been rock solid for them.

Craig Grebeck
07-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Rockabilly -- name one time a team has surrendered three quality pieces at the deadline in the same deal.

Rockabilly
07-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Rockabilly -- name one time a team has surrendered three quality pieces at the deadline in the same deal.

White Sox trade with the Giants

Craig Grebeck
07-14-2010, 12:21 PM
White Sox

Excuse me, three quality Major League pieces. Adam Russell and Aaron Poreda need not apply.

I misspoke.

Your trade idea is pure garbage.

AzureJazzMan
07-14-2010, 12:22 PM

Oh, I can think of one, right off the top of my head, back in '97 with our beloved White Sox... Will that do?

Rockabilly
07-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Excuse me, three quality Major League pieces. Adam Russell and Aaron Poreda need not apply.

I misspoke.

Your trade idea is pure garbage.

Im talking about Danny Darwin , Wilson Alvarez and Roberto Hernandez.. I can't believe a so call Sox fan would forget about the White Flag trade.

pythons007
07-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Yeah, I don't see the Jays trading Romero or Downs at all. Overbay yes, but he sucks and is basically Mark Kotsay.

Craig Grebeck
07-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Im talking about Danny Darwin , Wilson Alvarez and Roberto Hernandez.. I can't believe a so call Sox fan would forget about the White Flag trade.
I can't believe a "so call" baseball fan would imagine a scenario as preposterous as the Jays actually dealing those three together. Ricky Romero is 25, the sky is the limit, and they control him for a significant time beyond 2010. He's not going anywhere by himself.

Also, **** me for the White Flag not coming immediately to mind. Perhaps a cogent sentence or simple year marker would have triggered my senses. But, I know, speed at the expense of clarity is the way of the times.

Tragg
07-14-2010, 12:43 PM

Come on.
Romero's a "Quality piece" but Overbay and Downs are common fodder.

Sox could easily make a trade like that (without Romero), although hopefully not that one: Downs is having a great year though; Overbay is basically useless, imo.

KMcMahon817
07-14-2010, 01:15 PM
I can't believe a "so call" baseball fan would imagine a scenario as preposterous as the Jays actually dealing those three together. Ricky Romero is 25, the sky is the limit, and they control him for a significant time beyond 2010. He's not going anywhere by himself.

Also, **** me for the White Flag not coming immediately to mind. Perhaps a cogent sentence or simple year marker would have triggered my senses. But, I know, speed at the expense of clarity is the way of the times.

Professor Grebeck at it again. :rolleyes: It's a message board, guy. It's not a term paper.

But, I agree. The trade proposal is a little out there. If the Sox could acquire Romero, somehow, I would be absolutely ecstatic. That guy could be unbelievable. But, I cannot imagine the Jays giving him up unless someone was willing to give them a more proven guy for their rotation.

Rockabilly
07-14-2010, 01:22 PM

Well according to Jayson Stark who has said on ESPN radio that Romero might be traded this year or in the off season.. I think he would know a lot more than you would

As far as my english goes. I do a pretty good job since its my 3rd lanuage.

pythons007
07-14-2010, 03:30 PM
By the way if this ridiculous trade did happen, 3/5 of the rotation would be lefties. That is a little too much for my liking.

Craig Grebeck
07-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Well according to Jayson Stark who has said on ESPN radio that Romero might be traded this year or in the off season.. I think he would know a lot more than you would

As far as my english goes. I do a pretty good job since its my 3rd lanuage.
And Romero, should he be moved, will be moved for multiple prospects.

DumpJerry
07-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Can we keep the personal attacks out of this? I know you can......

kittle42
07-14-2010, 06:07 PM
It's a message board, guy. It's not a term paper.

It's this school of thought which is leading to the breakdown of the English language in American society.

Zisk77
07-14-2010, 06:46 PM
By the way if this ridiculous trade did happen, 3/5 of the rotation would be lefties. That is a little too much for my liking.

Yep the Yankees probably breathed a sigh of relief when they didn't acquire Cliff Lee because 3/5 of their rotation would be lefty.:?:

A. Cavatica
07-14-2010, 07:48 PM
It's this school of thought which is leading to the breakdown of the English language in American society.

+1 d00d

soxfanreggie
07-14-2010, 08:57 PM

We wouldn't have to give up much for Overbay and Downs. For Romero, you'd be talking about a lot more. It doesn't mean that this trade wouldn't be worth exploring, but I wonder what we'd have to get up to get it done. I don't think Overbay is the lefty stick I want to acquire though.

pythons007
07-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Yep the Yankees probably breathed a sigh of relief when they didn't acquire Cliff Lee because 3/5 of their rotation would be lefty.:?:

Cliff Lee is a different story. When the majority of hitters are righty in MLB, I'll take my chances with the percentages.

kaufsox
07-14-2010, 10:56 PM

according to some that began around 1776.

KMcMahon817
07-15-2010, 01:03 PM

Hey, I am not against putting forth some effort to make coherent sentences. But, it is stupid to attack someone for not having perfect sentence structure and formatting.

I don't recall reading anything before I signed up for WSI that said one needs to be an English major in order to post.

I would suggest that you tell your child, if you have one, to write a school paper on that subject and lay off the people that may not be fortunate enough to have a college education. Not just talking about this thread.

spawn
07-15-2010, 03:54 PM
If I have to split another thread because people want to derail it to argue about proper grammar, I'm going to be pissed.