PDA

View Full Version : Cincinnati Ballpark

Jollyroger2
07-14-2010, 09:01 AM
I did some surfing and there's some tidbits here or there, but I'll be going to a Reds game later this month, never been to their park before. Looks nice...any suggestions for anyone who's been there? Good food? Easy to get in and out of?

doublem23
07-14-2010, 09:30 AM
I visited some friends in Cincinnati earlier this summer, and although it was just a for a night, there's a big entertainment complex just across the Ohio River from downtown Cincinnati called Newport that's got plenty of options for food before the game. They've got parking and you can walk across a pedestrian bridge to the ballpark.

TomBradley72
07-14-2010, 09:32 AM
I've been there...great ballpark...give yourself time to walk around outside and in. The Underground Railroad Museum is within walking distance which is very interesting and very well done.

Pretty easy to get in and out of...it's on the river, so can be a little tricky with the bridges, etc. depending on the time of day..but plenty of parking within walking distance.

roylestillman
07-14-2010, 09:41 AM
The park is adjacent to the downtown area and we parked in one of the downtown indoor lots, which made it a bit easier for in and out. Before the game, we kind of stumbled on a neighborhood called Mt Adams that had a ton of bars and restaurants, which ranged from cheap (but friendly) dives to upscale dining. After we went to a mostly open air bar right across the highway (can't remember the name of it) that had some of the most knowledgable baseball fans I have ever met. Nice park, but a little oddly laid out. I don't recall anything special about the ballpark food inside.

Not that I'd recommend it, but we drove there and back in the same day for a Sox game a few years back.

areilly
07-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Skyline Chili more than lives up to the hype.

C-Dawg
07-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Not that I'd recommend it, but we drove there and back in the same day for a Sox game a few years back.

LOL I did that with a game in Cleveland once. That was a long day!

Max Power
07-14-2010, 12:50 PM
The park is adjacent to the downtown area and we parked in one of the downtown indoor lots, which made it a bit easier for in and out.

Both times I've been there I've parked in downtown parking garages for like $5. It was a ten minute walk to the ballpark.

The first time I was there (last year for a Sox game) I thought the stadium was nice, but fairly "generic retro." When I was there a couple of weeks ago I walked around a bit more and gained a greater appreciation of it. It's a nice stadium that does a good job celebrating the Reds.

CPditka
07-14-2010, 01:33 PM

Was going to say the same thing. You can get skyline dogs/2/3 ways in the park. Or you can hit up an actual restaurant, but not to be missed when going to the Queen City.

g0g0
07-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Great ballpark! I saw the Sox there last year for Father's Day and they gave out a pretty cool Reds tie to all of the dads. There is a covered garage just across the street that didn't fill up very fast (we got there about 15 minutes before the gates opened). You just walk across the street/bridge and you are at the front gates. Great site lines in the park. It has that atmosphere of being on top of the field. Pretty good dogs/sausages too. We were lucky enough to be around 3rd base about 10 rows up on the lower level.

soxfan43
07-14-2010, 02:08 PM
Great ballpark. I went to college in Dayton so we used to hit up a bunch of Reds games every spring. Plenty of places to park in the city or across the river. I like the view of the river in the background as well. It was always pretty easy to get tickets the day of the game for pretty cheap. Cincinnati isn't my favorite city in the world but the football and baseball stadiums are both pretty solid.

Jollyroger2
07-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Thanks for all the input everyone. Sounds great. Am visiting a friend at IU in Bloomington that weekend and we're going to drive over to Cincy for the Saturday afternoon game vs Atlanta.

Stormin' Norm
07-14-2010, 04:34 PM
It's been quite awhile since I lived in that area, but they used to have a Montgomery Inn stand that served pulled pork and I believe ribs too. That's local flavor to die for, make an effort to try that if it's still there. If not, there is a Montgomery Inn restaurant up the road that you could check out.

kobo
07-14-2010, 04:48 PM
I didn't think so. Not a fan at all. Like the concept, but the chili is not very good.

ramblermgr9599
07-15-2010, 09:17 AM
Go to the restraunt and get a 5 way Skyline with extra cheese. Its soooo good. I even buy a couple cans at the grocery store when I am in Ohio. there is a skyline in covington ky.

doublem23
07-15-2010, 09:22 AM
I didn't think so. Not a fan at all. Like the concept, but the chili is not very good.

It's still one of those things you should try. Skyline Chili is just a Cincinnati thing, it'd be like visiting Chicago and not having a Chicago style hot dog or Baltimore and not having crab cakes.

CPditka
07-15-2010, 09:32 AM
Recently realized that Skyline is the same chili (or very similar) that is used on Detroit style coney dogs. Coney has more Cumin, where Skyline has more cinnamon.

g0g0
07-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Skyline Chili is just a Cincinnati thing, it'd be like visiting Chicago and not having a Chicago style hot dog or Baltimore and not having crab cakes.

Do they not have them in Chicago? I know Indy has them.

doublem23
07-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Do they not have them in Chicago? I know Indy has them.

Nope, the closest one to Chicago is in Indianapolis, 153 miles away.

That said, there's a Cincinnati chili bar not too far from my apartment. Pretty good.

g0g0
07-15-2010, 10:15 AM
Nope, the closest one to Chicago is in Indianapolis, 153 miles away.

That said, there's a Cincinnati chili bar not too far from my apartment. Pretty good.

Weird. I thought they were a national chain when I lived in Indy. Used to love their 5-Ways!

doublem23
07-15-2010, 10:24 AM
Weird. I thought they were a national chain when I lived in Indy. Used to love their 5-Ways!

Nope, they're just in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, and (for some reason) Florida.

kaufsox
07-15-2010, 10:45 AM

blasphemy!

ChicagoRushFan
07-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Thanks for all the input everyone. Sounds great. Am visiting a friend at IU in Bloomington that weekend and we're going to drive over to Cincy for the Saturday afternoon game vs Atlanta.

I just did the same thing this past week. I couldn't find cheap tickets to the Sox in Minnesota, so I saw a friend at IU on Thursday and then went to the Reds-Colorado game on Friday night.

I stayed at the Travelodge just over the bridge in Kentucky. It is a dumpy old place but I didn't have to park and the walk into the city was easy.

The park itself is very Reds-y. It has a hall of fame for the Reds, lots of Pete Rose quotes everywhere, etc. It gets overlooked compared to lots of other new ones. However I prefer it to St. Louis and Philly.

Once you are in the stadium, if you buy something to eat, walk down the right field line there is a ton of open area with picnic benches, etc.

The Reds have a one dollar concession stand too. The buck popcorn is pretty large and worth the price if you ask me. It was my only purchase food wise, I don't usually buy food at games.

But, I did stop at a Skyline Chili the next day, count me in the "bleh" group.

If you're an amusement park guy Kings Island admission is discounted to 20 bucks after five. They are open to midnight on Saturdays, so seven hours at an amusement park for 20 bucks isn't a bad deal.

soxinem1
07-20-2010, 05:06 PM
The park is adjacent to the downtown area and we parked in one of the downtown indoor lots, which made it a bit easier for in and out. Before the game, we kind of stumbled on a neighborhood called Mt Adams that had a ton of bars and restaurants, which ranged from cheap (but friendly) dives to upscale dining. After we went to a mostly open air bar right across the highway (can't remember the name of it) that had some of the most knowledgable baseball fans I have ever met. Nice park, but a little oddly laid out. I don't recall anything special about the ballpark food inside.

The drive is about the same as going to DET, so it is not too bad.

But this is a great park, IMO. A little too much red in color, but no bad seats and a great looking park in the dark as well.

Parking in the underground garage with quick (two minute walk) stadium access was like $6.

When I was there a couple years ago the security staff and ushers said that CHC fans show up a lot when the cubs are in town, think they own the place, and they can't wait for their obnoxious asses to leave.

And if have some time, you can go across the bridge into Kentucky and see some cool Civil War museums and sites if you like that sort of thing.

ChicagoRushFan
07-21-2010, 12:43 AM
I'll also add a suggestion of going to the top of Carew Tower. It is right in downtown, near Fountain Square.

Its an old brick sky scrapper. You take an elevator from the lobby to the 40th floor, then you take another elevator to the 44th floor and then you walk up stairs to the top. So it is an adventure to get to the top.

It is just two bucks to access the open air observation deck. It's worth it to get good views of Kentucky and the rest of the area. It's a short little visit, but it gives you a good feel for the area.