PDA

View Full Version : Girardi to Cubs idea

GoGoCrede
07-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Saw this in the Sun-Times here. (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/2492364,CST-SPT-gordo13.article)Girardi's contract will be up, Cubs will have an opening for manager if Piniella doesn't return. What do you all think? Good idea, bad idea?

BleacherBandit
07-13-2010, 08:10 PM
What says the Yankees won't renew his contract?

Rdy2PlayBall
07-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Why ruin Girardi's track record of being a good coach? :tongue:

GoGoCrede
07-13-2010, 08:11 PM

Dunno. It's mostly speculation on the author's part, but it's an interesting idea.

KnightSox
07-13-2010, 08:19 PM
Saw this in the Sun-Times here. (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/2492364,CST-SPT-gordo13.article)Girardi's contract will be up, Cubs will have an opening for manager if Piniella doesn't return. What do you all think? Good idea, bad idea?Sandberg has been in the minors for a few years and is being groomed for the job, there will be no search for a manager on the North Side.

Boondock Saint
07-13-2010, 08:23 PM
If Girardi leaves the Yankees for the Cubs, I'll eat my hat.

pythons007
07-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Why would he leave the Yankees for that crap organization?

thomas35forever
07-13-2010, 09:21 PM
It should be crystal clear that the Cubs are in line to make Ryno their next manager with him moving up the managerial ranks in the organization so quickly.

g0g0
07-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Yep, Ryno has the best shot at taking it over right now. I hope he gets a shot.

Madvora
07-13-2010, 09:48 PM
I can't believe that's not from the Tribune.

MARTINMVP
07-13-2010, 10:34 PM

That is exactly the type of question I asked myself last year when come late August and throughout September, some Cubs fans were suggesting that Tony LaRussa would leave the Cards and manage the Cubs in 2010.

At that point, it was unknown of LaRussa would return to the Cards or not... certainly it wasn't out of the question. Those same Cub fans showed off a certain type of entitlement that just because the Cubs (or the fans) may want LaRussa, that he would automatically leave the Cards to come to the northside.

dwalteroo
07-13-2010, 11:19 PM
This is ridiculous. Sandburg is gonna be the next Cubs coach.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-13-2010, 11:39 PM
I think the Cubs want Sandberg, IMO.

soxinem1
07-13-2010, 11:51 PM

The bigger question is why would he want to leave a team that is virtually guaranteed to have a chance to win it all every year for a team that has to wait until next year?

Rockabilly
07-13-2010, 11:53 PM
What about Giradi as the Mgr and Ryno as the bench coach?

TDog
07-13-2010, 11:54 PM
From what I hear and read, the Cubs already have the best manager and the best hitting coach in baseball. Replacing their best manager in baseball with a new best manager in baseball won't help them win.

Craig Grebeck
07-14-2010, 12:14 AM
I don't know where you read such bull****.

Sandberg will be the guy, and he will be awful. He and the Cubs deserve each other.

LongLiveFisk
07-14-2010, 12:56 AM
After the way Girardi managed tonight's ASG, I think him going to the Cubs is a wonderful idea!

palehozenychicty
07-14-2010, 01:10 AM
The bigger question is why would he want to leave a team that is virtually guaranteed to have a chance to win it all every year for a team that has to wait until next year?

What was said here.

SOXPHILE
07-14-2010, 09:40 AM

Because the Cubs are historic, and Wrigley Field is beautiful and historic, and in a really neat neighborhood.

PatK
07-14-2010, 10:45 AM
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Everyone knows that every free agent and available manager wants to come to the Cubs.

C-Dawg
07-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Weren't Dusty Baker and Lou Piniella supposed to be the big-name, experienced World Series managers that were supposed to lead the Cubs to the promised land? Each was hired amid enormous hype that this was "the guy" who would get the job done for sure. Same circus, different clowns.

soxfanreggie
07-14-2010, 11:13 AM
Sandberg will likely be there next year. There is no way Girardi leaves the Yankees for the Cubs - why go from a contender to a pretender.

russ99
07-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Sandberg will likely be there next year. There is no way Girardi leaves the Yankees for the Cubs - why go from a contender to a pretender.

With Sandberg as manager, my Cubs hatred will increase exponentially. I can't stand that guy.

At least I respect Piniella or Girardi.

BadBobbyJenks
07-14-2010, 11:47 PM
Isn't it a Yankee policy not to negotiate with guys during the season in their last year?

Jeter is also a free agent at year's end, LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN!

Sam Spade
07-14-2010, 11:51 PM
With Sandberg as manager, my Cubs hatred will increase exponentially. I can't stand that guy.

At least I respect Piniella or Girardi.
Care to elaborate on what about sandberg bothers you? I don't know much about him, and I'm curious.

TDog
07-15-2010, 02:12 AM
Weren't Dusty Baker and Lou Piniella supposed to be the big-name, experienced World Series managers that were supposed to lead the Cubs to the promised land? Each was hired amid enormous hype that this was "the guy" who would get the job done for sure. Same circus, different clowns.

And if you go farther back, you have the Cubs hiring a future Hall of Fame manager to lead a number of future Hall of Fame players. The Leo Durocher thing ended badly, much worse than things ended for Durocher with the Dodgers and Giants, who he took to the World Series. Not all Cubs managers have been glamour guys, but the Cubs have brought in more than their share.

And when a Chicago team did win the World Series, it was led by a manager who had never managed in the majors before he came to the White Sox.

g0g0
07-15-2010, 09:48 AM
And if you go farther back, you have the Cubs hiring a future Hall of Fame manager to lead a number of future Hall of Fame players. The Leo Durocher thing ended badly, much worse than things ended for Durocher with the Dodgers and Giants, who he took to the World Series. Not all Cubs managers have been glamour guys, but the Cubs have brought in more than their share.

And when a Chicago team did win the World Series, it was led by a manager who had never managed in the majors before he came to the White Sox.

I think this just proves that it's still the play on the field that wins ball games and not the manager on the bench. Sure they can affect the outcome in some ways, but when it's all said and done, the players have to produce.

russ99
07-15-2010, 11:05 AM
Care to elaborate on what about sandberg bothers you? I don't know much about him, and I'm curious.

Hmm.. could fill a small book.

Mainly the self-depreciating attitude to stroke his own ego. Dude rubs me the wrong way.

Also, that he won many awards and got into the HOF due to his wind-aided homer prowess and fielding abillty boosted by the tall Wrigley infield grass.

Not saying he's a cheater like Sosa, but he certainly was helped by his home park, then copped the superstar atttitude.

Maybe the guy's different now since he's older, but I'd doubt it.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-15-2010, 01:32 PM
It should be crystal clear that the Cubs are in line to make Ryno their next manager with him moving up the managerial ranks in the organization so quickly.

Let us not forget Ricketts is a lifelong fan. I could see a fan who now owns the team rewarding a favorite player of his with a chance to manage the bigs.

Girardi would be a good manager and it makes sense. Which is why it won't happen.

g0g0
07-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Let us not forget Ricketts is a lifelong fan. I could see a fan who now owns the team rewarding a favorite player of his with a chance to manage the bigs.

Girardi would be a good manager and it makes sense. Which is why it won't happen.

Giradi interviewed with the Cubs and was turned down in 2007. He was fired from the Marlins after 1 season. At the time Lou made more sense with his background.

As for Ryno, he should be given a chance to succeed/fail just like Joe.

Hitmen77
07-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Giradi interviewed with the Cubs and was turned down in 2007. He was fired from the Marlins after 1 season. At the time Lou made more sense with his background.

As for Ryno, he should be given a chance to succeed/fail just like Joe.

Yes, but he was fired because the Marlins owner is an idiot not because he was a terrible manager. IIRC, many thought Girardi did a good job with what he had in Florida.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2611327

I know some Cubs fans at the time who thought Girardi would be the better choice, but that the Cubs were going to pick Piniella instead....and they were right.

g0g0
07-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Yes, but he was fired because the Marlins owner is an idiot not because he was a terrible manager. IIRC, many thought Girardi did a good job with what he had in Florida.

No, I agree. I was saying that he was given his chance (even though he was fired) and I think Ryno should have the same. Most managers have to go through these types of things.