PDA

View Full Version : Steinbrenner RIP, age 80

CLR01
07-13-2010, 09:43 AM
In extremely critical condition following heart attack last night/this morning.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5375561

07-13-2010, 09:47 AM
RIP. Wow. At least he got to see the Yankees win one last time.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2010/07/13/2010-07-13_yankees_owner_george_steinbrenner_suffers_a_mas sive_heart_reports.html

Hitmen77
07-13-2010, 09:47 AM
NBC is reporting that he has died. :rip:

Viva Medias B's
07-13-2010, 09:52 AM
:rip:
Requiescat in Pace, George.

VenturaFan23
07-13-2010, 09:53 AM
RIP George. :(:

Viva Medias B's
07-13-2010, 09:54 AM
This has been a tough week for our friends in the Yankee family. First Bob Sheppard leaves us, and now this. Of course it does not need to be said, but this casts a great pall over tonight's All Star Game.

soltrain21
07-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Wow. RIP George. Baseball truly lost a baseball icon today.

soxfanatlanta
07-13-2010, 09:57 AM
ESPN had a report that he was brought to a Tampa hospital after a massive heart attack.

Linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5375561).

Sad day for the Yankees.

RIP.

Rockabilly
07-13-2010, 09:57 AM
RIP George.. This has been a tough week for the Yankees franchise with 2 legends passing away.

Viva Medias B's
07-13-2010, 09:58 AM
In spite of all his controversy and bluster, how many of us at one time or another wished George owned our team? This is not a slam at Jerry Reinsdorf, Bill Veeck, or any other Sox owner. But George had a mystique about him that, well, we would never find boring.

Domeshot17
07-13-2010, 09:59 AM
So fitting he goes out on the day of the All Star Game! Was there a better owner in baseball?

If there was an all star game for owners he would have started every year.

I have to say, If it can't be our White Sox, I am hoping for a Yankee repeat now.

I am not happy he is gone, sorry if it seemed that way, just kind of, something peaceful about it being today of all days.

VenturaFan23
07-13-2010, 10:01 AM
In spite of all his controversy and bluster, how many of us at one time or another wished George owned our team? This is not a slam at Jerry Reinsdorf, Bill Veeck, or any other Sox owner. But George had a mystique about him that, well, we would never find boring.

I do. Although he wasn't popular in the beginning back when I was following them as a kid in Jersey, the Yankees wouldn't be hugely successful from a baseball and business standpoint if it wasn't for him.

God now has the perfect owner and PA announcer to start a baseball franchise up there.

doublem23
07-13-2010, 10:03 AM

He also had the New York metropolitan area to build his empire. Steinbrenner was a good owner, who took his earnings and reinvested them in his team. Baseball would surely be for the better if the other 29 acted like him, but he still had incredible resources that 29 other teams simply do not have.

theamb
07-13-2010, 10:03 AM
No surprise really..the man has been in failing health the past few years

RIP

soxfanreggie
07-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Love him or hate him, the man was the icon of baseball owners.

RIP George, a tough week for the Yankees organization.

chisoxfanatic
07-13-2010, 10:08 AM
So fitting he goes out on the day of the All Star Game! Was there a better owner in baseball?
I think he's the best owner in sports history!

RIP George...I'd imagine a moment of silence will be had for him at the All Star game.

GoGoCrede
07-13-2010, 10:11 AM
No surprise really..the man has been in failing health the past few years

RIP

I know he's been in ill health, but this still came as a shock to me. Wow. RIP.

theamb
07-13-2010, 10:17 AM
He also had the New York metropolitan area to build his empire. Steinbrenner was a good owner, who took his earnings and reinvested them in his team. Baseball would surely be for the better if the other 29 acted like him, but he still had incredible resources that 29 other teams simply do not have.

Winning in New York is not as easy as everyone thinks. In addition, he helped create those resources and took advantage of them

SoxGirl4Life
07-13-2010, 10:24 AM
RIP, George. You definitely left your mark on the game.

tstrike2000
07-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Definitely one of the characters of the game and he loved his Yankees. Rest in peace George.

doublem23
07-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Winning in New York is not as easy as everyone thinks. In addition, he helped create those resources and took advantage of them

Oh, I know, he was a clever businessman who turned the Yankees into the powerhouse they are today, but let's be real, had he owned the Pirates, Cardinals, or even the Sox... None of them would have turned into the juggernaut that he built in the Bronx. Not saying he wasn't a brilliant businessman and a great owner, but I think a lot of people overvalue how difficult it is to win in New York. You've got everything you need, you just need to know how to utilize it.

Rockabilly
07-13-2010, 10:30 AM
George was the reason that Eddie DeBartolo wasn't the owner of the Sox.. I wonder how many championships we would have won with Eddie as the owner.

g0g0
07-13-2010, 10:38 AM
I will never have a heart attack. I give them.
-George Steinbrenner

He's come full circle.

soxinem1
07-13-2010, 10:46 AM

He also made the resources and took the risks.

Steinbrenner was the one who jumped on free agency at a time when virtually all of the other owners loathed it.

And you are right, he invested in that team and built it into an amazing franchise, which it was not when he first acquired them.

Baseball was on a much more level playing field when Steinbrenner Era began, and remained so until the mid-90's. So hating him for making his team into a winning and revenue producing powerhouse is ridiculous. He is the reason NYY fans can be upset when they win 88 games in an 'off-year' and come back to win it all the following season.

While careless in the beginning, he toned his 'buy, buy, buy' act down eventually and stopped throwing ridiculous money at second tier players and put that money into developing a minor league system that cranks out quality players on it's own, even more amazing when you consider that they have had low slot draft position, or none at all, for over a decade.

George was at his best when he realized that it was time he left his GM and field staffs alone, at least to the point when the dugout phone calls during games stopped and new GM's, managers, and coaches were not being shuttled in every two months.

He also took the risk and saw the $$$$ with MSG and YES, which basically gives the Yankees the dollar advantage they have.

I would have loved to have Steinbrenner own the White Sox.

I will never have a heart attack. I give them.
-George Steinbrenner

He's come full circle.

Hard to believe that Ralph Houk, who was the manager when he bought the Yankees, out-lived Steinbrenner in both years and time, considering remarks like this applied to those in Houk's position. Houk noted many times he came close to punching out Steinbrenner or having a heart attack because of his, which is why he quit the year after Steinbrenner bought the Yankees.

Boondock Saint
07-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Wow, that's shocking. RIP to a man who cast a shadow as large as, if not larger than the game itself.

october23sp
07-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Hated the Yankees because they spent so much money to win championships. He was willing to spend money for World Series titles. Everyone wishes he was their team's owner. RIP.:(:

CPditka
07-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Adam_Schefter (javascript:void(0);): RIP, George Steinbrenner. Bob Sheppard already is there to announce your arrival.

Also interesting, Steinbrenner was an asst football coach Purdue prior to owning the Yanks.

...love him or hate him, theres no denying he was a great owner.

RIP George.

areilly
07-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Oh, I know, he was a clever businessman who turned the Yankees into the powerhouse they are today, but let's be real, had he owned the Pirates, Cardinals, or even the Sox... None of them would have turned into the juggernaut that he built in the Bronx.

I know he had originally wanted to buy the Cleveland Indians, and have always wondered how that would've played out for both sides.

khan
07-13-2010, 11:57 AM

Steinbrenner was the one who jumped on free agency at a time when virtually all of the other owners loathed it.

And you are right, he invested in that team and built it into an amazing franchise, which it was not when he first acquired them.

Baseball was on a much more level playing field when Steinbrenner Era began, and remained so until the mid-90's. So hating him for making his team into a winning and revenue producing powerhouse is ridiculous. He is the reason NYY fans can be upset when they win 88 games in an 'off-year' and come back to win it all the following season.

While careless in the beginning, he toned his 'buy, buy, buy' act down eventually and stopped throwing ridiculous money at second tier players and put that money into developing a minor league system that cranks out quality players on it's own, even more amazing when you consider that they have had low slot draft position, or none at all, for over a decade.
1. The majority of homegrown players [Jeter, Rivera, Posada, etc..] were drafted when he was suspended in the 90s for acting like an ass.

2. Many, if not MOST Yankee farmhands end up being overrated. [See the two polished turds the SOX got in exchange for Swisher as exhibit A; See Seattle trading Lee within their own division instead of with the Yankees as exhibit B of many many examples of this.]

3. The yankees' financial might enables them to pay over slot whenever they want, thereby nullifying their "lowish" draft spots to a great degree.

4. The yankees' financial might also enables them to buy youngsters from the DR, Venezuela and elsewhere that other franchises can't.

I'll agree that the yankees under Steinbrenner did a lot of good things, but let's not credit them for things that actually didn't happen.

He also took the risk and saw the $$$$ with MSG and YES, which basically gives the Yankees the dollar advantage they have.
He also twisted a lot of arms in NY state to get the entire state to have to pay YES/MSG a ****-ton of cash in cable TV fees, even for upstate types that don't give a rip about NYC teams. As an aside, didn't Einhorn have the same idea BEFORE steinbrenner?

I would have loved to have Steinbrenner own the White Sox.
Agreed.

RIP, Boss.

BadBobbyJenks
07-13-2010, 12:33 PM
No doubt in my mind, he was the greatest owner in all of sports.

RIP

voodoochile
07-13-2010, 12:34 PM
:rip: Mr. Steinbrenner.

You were definitely a giant in the sporting world...

Frontman
07-13-2010, 12:51 PM
To paraphrase:

"Like him, love him, or hate him; you'll never forget him." He made following baseball interesting to say the least.

RIP Boss. You were one of a kind; and I wonder if you've gotten into an argument with Billy Martin already. :wink:

:gulp:To the Boss!!!:rip:

russ99
07-13-2010, 12:52 PM
George was the reason that Eddie DeBartolo wasn't the owner of the Sox.. I wonder how many championships we would have won with Eddie as the owner.

Yep. And if I recall correctly, DeBartolo was voted down for reasons that were not too dissimilar from Steinbrenner's other line of work.

But wasn't there a rumor that DeBartolo would have moved the team to Denver? Calling Lip...

RIP George. Didn't like the guy, but he was certainly one of the characters of the game.

Thome25
07-13-2010, 01:00 PM
WOW just wow........I know that Yankee fans everywhere are mourning the loss of "The Boss" and "The Voice".

To lose both of those iconic guys within days of each other is both unbelievable and tragic. My heart and prayers go out to their families as well as Yankee fans everywhere.

Steinbrenner was a true Yankee because of the fact that he was born on the 4th of July. How fitting is it that he died the day of the All-Star Game?

Viva Medias B's
07-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Yep. And if I recall correctly, DeBartolo was voted down for reasons that were not too dissimilar from Steinbrenner's other line of work.

But wasn't there a rumor that DeBartolo would have moved the team to Denver? Calling Lip...

RIP George. Didn't like the guy, but he was certainly one of the characters of the game.

I'd have to check my Bill Madden book about George to be sure, but I think Bowie Kuhn was more responsible for DeB not owning the Sox than George. IIRC, George personally supported DeB but voted against the sale of the Sox to him.

havelj
07-13-2010, 02:17 PM
He also twisted a lot of arms in NY state to get the entire state to have to pay YES/MSG a ****-ton of cash in cable TV fees, even for upstate types that don't give a rip about NYC teams. As an aside, didn't Einhorn have the same idea BEFORE steinbrenner?

Yes.
The national media keeps mentioning that George was the person who first had the idea of a single network for a team. They are wrong; the Sox were the first.

thomas35forever
07-13-2010, 02:47 PM
However you felt about him, the man knew how to win. Strange that he leaves us the day of the All-Star Game. RIP Mr. Steinbrenner.

07-13-2010, 02:47 PM
dzeuvZc1KI8&

KV-GJ9iNX8g&

palehozenychicty
07-13-2010, 02:54 PM

Exactly.

The Knicks haven't won a title in nearly forty years, which is almost the equivalent of the Cub's century long drought, with similar revenue streams.

The Jets are The Jets, despite their offseason spree.

The Mets ownership often hires poor management that hinders their resources.

The Giants are consistently competitive, and sometimes great. The Maras have been scions in the NFL for years as well.

The Nets are a sports vagabond.

The Devils have been successful, but garner little attention, even in Jersey.

Glen Sather is more incompetent than Isaiah Thomas for the Rangers. Nobody cares, even in New York.

He was belligerent and preposterous, but he wanted to win, and did everything possible to achieve that end. He used his resources intelligently and returned the Yankees to prominence. He always had my respect. RIP.

chisox616
07-13-2010, 02:56 PM
He was the first owner I ever knew about, thanks to Seinfeld. I wonder what Steinbrenner thought of Larry David's portrayal, was he flattered or did he never have an opinion about it? Anyways, you have to respect him for the legacy he created.

...I wonder if his death had something to do with an eggplant calzone :(:

VenturaFan23
07-13-2010, 03:04 PM
He was the first owner I ever knew about, thanks to Seinfeld. I wonder what Steinbrenner thought of Larry David's portrayal, was he flattered or did he never have an opinion about it? Anyways, you have to respect him for the legacy he created.

...I wonder if his death had something to do with an eggplant calzone :(:

During the show's run I remember reading somewhere that Steinbrenner loved it. He said that if you can't laugh at yourself, then you're not a human being...or something to that effect. IIRC, I think it was rumored that he was supposed to be in the show's finale too, but either the scene got cut or it didn't happen.

My favorite Steinbrenner scene was when he thought George was dead and had to tell the Costanzas and the first thing Mr. Costanza says...."What the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for?!".

DumpJerry
07-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Also interesting, Steinbrenner was an asst football coach Purdue prior to owning the Yanks.
Northwestern as well as Purdue.

So, let's see now.....Writz dies and his son takes the opposite approach to running the Blackhawks. Get the team on TV, spend money.

Pohlad (Twins' owner) dies and his son takes an almost opposite approach to running the team (spending money instead of trading studs for prospects).

Steinbrenner dies and his son fully takes over.

Next year, the Yankee's payroll will be $30,000,000.

palehozenychicty
07-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Northwestern as well as Purdue.

So, let's see now.....Writz dies and his son takes the opposite approach to running the Blackhawks. Get the team on TV, spend money.

Pohlad (Twins' owner) dies and his son takes an almost opposite approach to running the team (spending money instead of trading studs for prospects).

Steinbrenner dies and his son fully takes over.

Next year, the Yankee's payroll will be $30,000,000.

:kneeslap:

theamb
07-13-2010, 03:26 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/151/206/08222004130709cg2_display_image.jpg?1265339721

cub killer
07-13-2010, 03:46 PM
During the show's run I remember reading somewhere that Steinbrenner loved it. He said that if you can't laugh at yourself, then you're not a human being...or something to that effect.
Yup. In the early 90s, Saturday Night Live's Weekend Update had a recurring segment called "The George Steinbrenner Death Watch". In it, Kevin Nealon would inform the viewers of minor accidents that Steinbrenner had had recently, in hopes that they would kill him.

Steinbrenner wasn't offended. He ended up guest hosting Saturday Night Live shortly thereafter, mocking his "greedy tyrant" ways in a number of skits.

TornLabrum
07-13-2010, 04:14 PM
I wish the Sox would have had owners like Steinbrenner who were willing to spend the money to build a dynasty...more than once.

FielderJones
07-13-2010, 04:38 PM
I had thought that Larry David always portrayed George Steinbrenner on Seinfeld, but apparently not (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LD3udSurzw).

WhiteSox5187
07-13-2010, 04:46 PM
I had thought that Larry David always portrayed George Steinbrenner on Seinfeld, but apparently not (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LD3udSurzw).

It was Larry David's voice.

I will say this about Steinbrenner, he loved to win and invested his revenue into his product on the field which is a good thing for an owner. But, I don't think I would have liked to have worked for him. This is a guy who spied on one of his star players in order to dig up dirt on him, he was near psychopathic with his managers and GMs. Also what people tend to forget is that he ran that Yankee organization into the ground in the 1980s, while their recent success has come off of high priced free agents their initial success in the late 1990s came from the farm system with guys that were brought in while he was out of baseball.

Still, I'd love to see a Chicago organization (namely the White Sox) have the prolonged success of the Yankees.

Zakath
07-13-2010, 05:16 PM

Curt Flood may have unlocked the door but George kicked it open and busted it off the hinges. While it may have turned out to be in the best interest of the Yankees and the players, I'm not sure it's been in the best interest of baseball and the fans, especially those that have to shell out $35 for nosebleed seats, $23 to park, and $5 for a hot dog.

The hate comes from the fact that George did it at the expense of the other (currently) 29 teams, who don't have the resources to do what he did. Part of this comes from the fact that MLB has never learned that the sport (or the leagues) are bigger than the teams. The NFL learned this a long time ago, and as a result has a sport where a small-market team like Green Bay, Oakland, and Pittsburgh can compete with a large-market team like Dallas.

George played well within the rules that MLB set up, where there was no salary cap and no revenue-sharing, that benefited his large-market team vs. the small-market squads. Most forget (or wouldn't believe) that the Yankees' major competition for a good portion of the early Steinbrenner era were the today-lowly Kansas City Royals.

George was at his best when he realized that it was time he left his GM and field staffs alone, at least to the point when the dugout phone calls during games stopped and new GM's, managers, and coaches were not being shuttled in every two months.

He learned not to micromanage, which is a lesson that all-too-many supervisory people throughout our workforce should learn...

DonnieDarko
07-13-2010, 06:32 PM
No, I don't have a link. I saw it as breaking on MSNBC.

So...yeah. I can't believe that this guy is dead. O_o

DonnieDarko
07-13-2010, 06:34 PM
Whoops. Please delete, someone. >_>

sox1970
07-13-2010, 06:37 PM

The scenes with the real Steinbrenner were cut. They're on the DVDs as a bonus.

Steinbrenner was played by Lee Bear, and the voice was played by Larry David.

LongLiveFisk
07-13-2010, 07:59 PM
I have to say, If it can't be our White Sox, I am hoping for a Yankee repeat now.

I won't go that far, but RIP, George.

Viva Medias B's
07-13-2010, 10:54 PM
George was very cool when it came to making fun of himself. I haven't been able to find it on YouTube, but there is a classic skit from when George hosted "Saturday Night Live." In it, George played the owner of a hardware store. His store manager, played by Phil Hartman, urges George to get rid of an underperforming employee. The skit turns into a satire of how George ran the Yankees with George's character in the skit criticizing that style or managing.

Nellie_Fox
07-14-2010, 01:17 AM
...he helped create those resources and took advantage of them

He also made the resources and took the risks.He was responsible for creating a metropolitan area of 22 million in the media center of the United States?

cards press box
07-14-2010, 04:10 AM
He was responsible for creating a metropolitan area of 22 million in the media center of the United States?

I'm glad somebody said it. Under George Steinbrenner's stewardship, the Yankees were really the great corporate socialists in major league baseball. They wanted no spending restraints in order to capitalize on the vast sum of local media revenue that came from owning the Yankees in New York City. But the Yanks are not real capitalists for one simple reason -- they wanted to spend like there were no restraints but there was a huge restraint that antitrust law would normally prohibit: no one could move a financially struggling franchise to North Jersey or Brooklyn.

So the Yankees (and the Steinbrenner) family wanted to have ot both ways. They have a payroll that is almost 50% higher than the next closest franchise and in a totally free system, I would have no problem with that because other franchises would be free to move into New York. So the Yanks are capitalists when that suits them and are anything but pure capitalists when that suits them.

Let me sum up the Yanks' legacy in two ways: (1) they will be more responsible than any other entity for the next work stoppage in baseball and (2) other than Pete Rozelle, Mr. Steinbrenner has been more responsible than anyone else for the growth of the NFL and its popularity.

I wish the Sox would have had owners like Steinbrenner who were willing to spend the money to build a dynasty...more than once.

Unless Mr. Steinbrenner could have brought New York, its media market and many generations of Yankee fans with him, he would have been a disaster in Chicago, Kansas City, Cleveland or any city other than New York. Jerry Reinsdorf has shown he can win with a budget based upon the local media revenue that the White Sox actually generate. Mr. Steinbrenner's bluster and demands for excellence would have meant little to nothing if his team had to operate on the shoestring budget of the Royals, Pirates or Marlins.

All the Yankees have proven is that a team who routinely spends two, three or four times the money available to other franchises will make the playoffs. Shoot, if you put the Green Bay Packers in ther Chicago Catholic League, they could prove essentially the same point. Big deal.

PeteWard
07-14-2010, 07:33 AM
God now has the perfect owner and PA announcer to start a baseball franchise up there.

Huh? How would you know that? Or that there's evan an "up there"?
Please share your source. :D:

Anyway here's a great tribute: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/13/george-steinbrenner-on-se_n_644728.html

PeteWard
07-14-2010, 07:44 AM
delete

PeteWard
07-14-2010, 08:14 AM
During the show's run I remember reading somewhere that Steinbrenner loved it. He said that if you can't laugh at yourself, then you're not a human being...or something to that effect. IIRC, I think it was rumored that he was supposed to be in the show's finale too, but either the scene got cut or it didn't happen.

My favorite Steinbrenner scene was when he thought George was dead and had to tell the Costanzas and the first thing Mr. Costanza says...."What the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for?!".

Awesome scene--you can see him just bursting to yell it out beforehand. Try #10 of 14 here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/13/george-steinbrenner-on-se_n_644728.html

"He wasn't really a sultan!" :D:

Balfanman
07-14-2010, 09:39 AM
I'm glad somebody said it. Under George Steinbrenner's stewardship, the Yankees were really the great corporate socialists in major league baseball. They wanted no spending restraints in order to capitalize on the vast sum of local media revenue that came from owning the Yankees in New York City. But the Yanks are not real capitalists for one simple reason -- they wanted to spend like there were no restraints but there was a huge restraint that antitrust law would normally prohibit: no one could move a financially struggling franchise to North Jersey or Brooklyn.

So the Yankees (and the Steinbrenner) family wanted to have ot both ways. They have a payroll that is almost 50% higher than the next closest franchise and in a totally free system, I would have no problem with that because other franchises would be free to move into New York. So the Yanks are capitalists when that suits them and are anything but pure capitalists when that suits them.

Let me sum up the Yanks' legacy in two ways: (1) they will be more responsible than any other entity for the next work stoppage in baseball and (2) other than Pete Rozelle, Mr. Steinbrenner has been more responsible than anyone else for the growth of the NFL and its popularity.

Unless Mr. Steinbrenner could have brought New York, its media market and many generations of Yankee fans with him, he would have been a disaster in Chicago, Kansas City, Cleveland or any city other than New York. Jerry Reinsdorf has shown he can win with a budget based upon the local media revenue that the White Sox actually generate. Mr. Steinbrenner's bluster and demands for excellence would have meant little to nothing if his team had to operate on the shoestring budget of the Royals, Pirates or Marlins.

All the Yankees have proven is that a team who routinely spends two, three or four times the money available to other franchises will make the playoffs. Shoot, if you put the Green Bay Packers in ther Chicago Catholic League, they could prove essentially the same point. Big deal.

I could not possibly agree more with this post. If I owned a Pizza restaurant in a large metro area, and the law said that no other Pizza restaurant could be located within 50 miles of me, I would be virtually assured a financial windfall.

The real test of how Stienbrenner would of been as an owner would of been to allow other teams to move into his market. To bad we'll never know.

wilburaga
07-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Old George sure did right by his kids. Because the federal estate tax lapsed as of January, and will not be re-implemented until 2011, the Steinbrenners will save up to 500 million (according to one article I read - I don't know if the figure is right, but it's a ton of $$$) in estate taxes, and will likely prevent the family from having to sell the team.

Fenway
07-15-2010, 04:01 AM
I had some brief interactions with GWS - he yelled at me once for wearing a Boston hat in the YS press area

I was offered a job with YES when they launched some 8 years ago and I turned it down. In Tampa that spring GWS asked me why...and I said to him I could work for any other team in baseball but NYY simply because of my late Dad.

GWS understood and shook my hand. It was the last time I ever saw him.

Reaction in Boston was mixed

BAD

http://bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/view.bg?articleid=1268054&srvc=sports&position=3

GOOD

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/other_mlb/view/20100714boss_steinbrenner_a_winner_he_did_anything _to_help_his_team_fans/

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2010/07/14/actually_there_was_a_lot_to_like_about_steinbrenne r/

doublem23
07-16-2010, 10:29 AM
The Guardian goes off on Steinbrenner.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2010/jul/15/george-steinbrenner-loser-baseball

Wow.

g0g0
07-16-2010, 11:00 AM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2010/jul/15/george-steinbrenner-loser-baseball

Wow.

He certainly didn't pull any punches!

tebman
07-16-2010, 11:46 AM

Wow.

Wow, indeed. It was a surprise to read that because I felt much the same way. Steinbrenner was obviously a significant figure in baseball but he certainly was no hero.

WhiteSox5187
07-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Wow, indeed. It was a surprise to read that because I felt much the same way. Steinbrenner was obviously a significant figure in baseball but he certainly was no hero.

He was certainly a man with many flaws and the Guardian did an excellent job pointing out those flaws. To be honest, I'm surprised that Steinbrenner's death is a story in England.

Viva Medias B's
07-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Bill Lee (former Red Sox pitcher) went off on George too, saying that if Hell froze over, George would be skating.