PDA

View Full Version : A couple of facts for your enjoyment...

Ranger
07-12-2010, 04:15 PM
In case any of you had not seen these:

The following White Sox notes are courtesy of the Elias Sports Bureau:
The White Sox were 9.5 games behind AL Central leaders Minnesota and Detroit following a loss on June 8, but they have won eight consecutive games and 25 of their last 30 to end the half in first place only one team in major-league history has been further behind at any point in the first half but entered the break with a division lead the 1973 Cardinals were 11.5 back at one point and in first place at the All-Star Break.

The White Sox went 25-5 to end the first half that matches the best record for any team in MLB history in its final 30 games before the All-Star Break the 1975 Cincinnati Reds and 1990 New York Mets both were 25-5 to end the first half.

sox1970
07-12-2010, 04:17 PM
I say we finish like the 75 Reds, and not the 73 Cardinals or 90 Mets.

BadBobbyJenks
07-12-2010, 04:36 PM
I wonder how many teams have gone 25-5 at any point in the season and how many of those made the playoffs.

Ron Karkovice
07-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Enjoyed you on the score today, Ranger. It was funny to hear Bernstein kind of slowly believing in this team. Hell, it's hard not to with these numbers that you aforementioned!

JermaineDye05
07-12-2010, 04:52 PM
I wonder what those message boards would have looked like had they had access to them.

downstairs
07-12-2010, 05:44 PM
25-5 is amazing. One thing is certain- no one lucks into 25-5. So this team absolutely has something going on.

I pegged them as a .500 team all along.

While they're not going to keep going at an .833 level... lets hope they play to their level: which is clearly NOT a .500 team.

There's no reason we can't best Minny and Detroit in the second half. Peavy or not.

Rohan
07-12-2010, 05:58 PM
25-5 is amazing. One thing is certain- no one lucks into 25-5. So this team absolutely has something going on.

I pegged them as a .500 team all along.

While they're not going to keep going at an .833 level... lets hope they play to their level: which is clearly NOT a .500 team.

There's no reason we can't best Minny and Detroit in the second half. Peavy or not.

Don't be so sure :cool:

pythons007
07-12-2010, 09:36 PM
Wasn't there an A's team in the late 90s or early 00s that won 20 games in a row?

GoGoCrede
07-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Wasn't there an A's team in the late 90s or early 00s that won 20 games in a row?

Yes, I think it was something like 22.

guillensdisciple
07-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Don't be so sure :cool:

We'd have 101 wins that way, that's pretty cool.

FielderJones
07-12-2010, 09:39 PM

Yep (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/OAK/2002-schedule-scores.shtml). Starts Aug 13.

FielderJones
07-12-2010, 09:40 PM

No, just 20 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/OAK/2002-schedule-scores.shtml).

Ron Karkovice
07-12-2010, 09:44 PM

Twins End A's Streak at 20 Games

The Washington Post (http://www.encyclopedia.com/The+Washington+Post/publications.aspx?pageNumber=1) | September 7, 2002 | Dave Sheinin | 700+ words |

chisoxfanatic
07-12-2010, 09:48 PM
I don't know if it's been answered in another thread, but has there been a better 30-game stretch in White Sox history?

Brian26
07-12-2010, 09:55 PM
Enjoyed you on the score today, Ranger. It was funny to hear Bernstein kind of slowly believing in this team. Hell, it's hard not to with these numbers that you aforementioned!

Bernstein had a nice interview this afternoon with Paciorek too, talking about the comparisons between '10 and '83.

sox1970
07-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Bernstein had a nice interview this afternoon with Paciorek too, talking about the comparisons between '10 and '83.

Yes, it was good. And here it is...

http://wscr.cbslocal.com/2010/07/12/tom-paciorek/

Brian26
07-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Yes, it was good. And here it is...

http://wscr.cbslocal.com/2010/07/12/tom-paciorek/

Paciorek had a great story to end the interview (hope this isn't a spoiler, because the interview is really good and should be listened to)...

He was talking about defense. Bernstein mentioned that Paciorek once said, "do you know that feeling you get when the ball is hit to you?" That lead to Paciorek telling a story about Pedro Guerrero and Tommy Lasorda. Guerrero was a butcher and third, but Lasorda had him in the lineup because of his bat. Lasorda asked Guerrero what he was thinking out there at third base when he's in the game. Pedro said he thought about two things. First, he said, "please God, don't let the ball come to me." And, second, he continued, "please God, don't let the ball go to Steve Sax."

:rolling:

rdivaldi
07-12-2010, 10:12 PM
I don't know if it's been answered in another thread, but has there been a better 30-game stretch in White Sox history?

Apparently yes. It looks like the 1951 team went 26- 4 from May 4th to June 7th. 25- 5 ties the 1906, 1917, & 1983 teams for the second best 30 game streaks in history.

SephClone89
07-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Apparently yes. It looks like the 1951 team went 26- 4 from May 4th to June 7th. 25- 5 ties the 1906, 1917, & 1983 teams for the second best 30 game streaks in history.

:gulp:

hi im skot
07-12-2010, 10:29 PM
So, is it OK for us to get excited about this team yet?

GoGoCrede
07-12-2010, 10:34 PM
No, just 20 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/OAK/2002-schedule-scores.shtml).

Twins End A's Streak at 20 Games

The Washington Post (http://www.encyclopedia.com/The+Washington+Post/publications.aspx?pageNumber=1) | September 7, 2002 | Dave Sheinin | 700+ words |

My bad, 20 games. Figures the Twins would louse it all up.

veeter
07-12-2010, 10:38 PM
The Indians put together that unreal stretch in '05, putting huge pressure on the eventual Champion White Sox. I think they put a 30-7 spot up. Whatever it was, they closed a huge gap in a hurry that great season.

WhiteSox5187
07-12-2010, 11:00 PM

Well, it is hard to fault the way they are playing as of late there is virtually nothing to criticize in terms of play. The one thing that I can say that is negative is that they cannot keep winning at an .833 clip, the law of averages states that they have to come back down to earth and the question is, when they do come back down to earth, how are they going to play then?

DSpivack
07-12-2010, 11:00 PM
My bad, 20 games. Figures the Twins would louse it all up.

I remember that well and was thinking that was just a couple years ago, surely. Didn't realize it was 8 years ago!

hi im skot
07-12-2010, 11:07 PM
Well, it is hard to fault the way they are playing as of late there is virtually nothing to criticize in terms of play. The one thing that I can say that is negative is that they cannot keep winning at an .833 clip, the law of averages states that they have to come back down to earth and the question is, when they do come back down to earth, how are they going to play then?

And that's the million dollar question. I like their chances, especially in this division. I'm just thankful that we can look forward to meaningful baseball this summer.

WhiteSox5187
07-12-2010, 11:30 PM
And that's the million dollar question. I like their chances, especially in this division. I'm just thankful that we can look forward to meaningful baseball this summer.

I don't think that they are going to be as bad as they were in the first two months but I don't think they will be as good as they are now (though they could play .600 ball the rest of the way and not be "as good" as they are now). I suspect that when they cool down they will play around .500 ball.

TomBradley72
07-13-2010, 12:04 AM
Our .563 winning percentage so far has us on pace to win 92 games.

I like our chances to win the division. Schedule gets a little tougher in the 2nd half...but we're much improved, especially the pitching and overall defense...I expect those two factors to balance out...we should win 92-94 games which should be good enought to take the Central.

mzh
07-13-2010, 12:07 AM
Our .563 winning percentage so far has us on pace to win 92 games.

I like our chances to win the division. Schedule gets a little tougher in the 2nd half...but we're much improved, especially the pitching and overall defense...I expect those two factors to balance out...we should win 92-94 games which should be good enought to take the Central.
Don't forget the possibility of adding an Adam Dunn-type bat. That would tip the scales for us a lot more :smile:

Ron Karkovice
07-13-2010, 12:08 AM
Anybody know where to find the strength of schedule for each the sox, twins, and tigers for the second half?

HomeFish
07-13-2010, 12:26 AM

If they win 3 games in Minnesota, then I think the green light is on.

mzh
07-13-2010, 12:31 AM
If they win 3 games in Minnesota, then I think the green light is on.
And the 2010 Sox will have the HomeFish seal of approval? :D:

Noneck
07-13-2010, 01:12 AM
I will take .500 ball from here on and see where the chips lay.

hawkjt
07-13-2010, 01:16 AM

I heard that interview also. Bernstein is still too wrapped up in the Sabremetrics analysis of baseball for my tastes. Called Carlos ''a horrible outfielder'' today...and said unless he can hit like crazy he will not get his WAR number into positive territory....to that I say...nuts.
I watch virturally every game live or on tv and I cannot say that Carlos has cost us a single game in right field this year...and he has won us games at the plate...a number of them. That catch he made on last monday was denigrated by B & B as routine for anyone else...BS!

I see many average right fielders these days,and Carlos is no worse than any of them.

WhiteSox5187
07-13-2010, 01:18 AM
I heard that interview also. Bernstein is still too wrapped up in the Sabremetrics analysis of baseball for my tastes. Called Carlos ''a horrible outfielder'' today...and said unless he can hit like crazy he will not get his WAR number into positive territory....to that I say...nuts.
I watch virturally every game live or on tv and I cannot say that Carlos has cost us a single game in right field this year...and he has won us games at the plate...a number of them. That catch he made on last monday was denigrated by B & B as routine for anyone else...BS!

I see many average right fielders these days,and Carlos is no worse than any of them.

He's looked slightly better of late, but earlier in the year he was absolutely brutal. He is not a very good OFer.

DonnieDarko
07-13-2010, 09:38 AM
Yeah...to say that Quentin is a good defensive outfielder is kinda wrong. He's not good by any stretch of the imagination.

hawkjt
07-13-2010, 10:02 AM
I did not say Carlos was a good defensive outfielder,just average. Bernstein says he is a ''horrible'' outfielder,which is not average.
Maybe he will be exposed as the season goes on,but to this point,I just do not remember any games that he has cost us out there.

DirtySox
07-13-2010, 10:12 AM
He's looked slightly better of late, but earlier in the year he was absolutely brutal. He is not a very good OFer.

Agreed. But largely, he has been below average to bad out there.

TheOldRoman
07-13-2010, 10:14 AM

I see many average right fielders these days,and Carlos is no worse than any of them.That is fine because WAR has no basis in reality. Carlos has been shakey in RF this year, but he has looked better of late. However, with the bat this man has, especially with him catching fire recently, you would have to be an absolute moron to believe that all things considered, he is actually costing this team wins, if in fact that is what WAR claims right now. Bernstein is a sniveling moron, but this is stupid even for him.

salty99
07-13-2010, 10:15 AM
I did not say Carlos was a good defensive outfielder,just average. Bernstein says he is a ''horrible'' outfielder,which is not average.
Maybe he will be exposed as the season goes on,but to this point,I just do not remember any games that he has cost us out there.

Carlos has the 2nd worst outfielder stats in major league baseball that is why he calls him horrible. He is definitely a full time DH in the making.

doublem23
07-13-2010, 10:20 AM

That is fine because WAR has no basis in reality. Carlos has been shakey in RF this year, but he has looked better of late. However, with the bat this man has, especially with him catching fire recently, you would have to be an absolute moron to believe that all things considered, he is actually costing this team wins, if in fact that is what WAR claims right now. Bernstein is a sniveling moron, but this is stupid even for him.

A) I don't think you guys know what WAR stands for and what it measures.

B) Carlos Quentin's WAR is already positive, 0.2 for the season according to FanGraphs (http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=6274&position=OF).

DirtySox
07-13-2010, 10:40 AM

B) Carlos Quentin's WAR is already positive, 0.2 for the season according to FanGraphs (http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=6274&position=OF).

I love WAR. I just don't feel like getting into that conversation with Roman/Daver/Lip again.

WAR FTW.

hawkjt
07-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Bernstein said he would have to hit at a very high rate to keep his WAR positive due to his clanky glove.
Now, evidently his stats indicate that he is the second worst outfielder in MLB, so I guess that would mean he is far below average.

My eyes do not tell me that,but maybe they are just old eyes.:smile:
Seriously, what makes Carlos about the worst outfielder in MLB?
His arm? His speed? I think his arm is ok,not great,but not horrible.
I think his speed is ok,not great,but not PK like.
Does he drop balls? Never seen that.
If he is that bad, where did JD rate? JD was definitely slower than Carlos.

I guess I just do not believe the stats capture the truth about Carlos defensive performance. No doubt that Andruw is better out there and vs lefty starters it is huge if Andruw can continue to hit good enough to be out there all season. Even bigger if Andruw could hit vs both rightys and leftys, and Carlos could DH fulltime...but Carlos would be mad.

sox1970
07-13-2010, 10:45 AM
I will take .500 ball from here on and see where the chips lay.

Wait...what?

It's going to take at least 88 wins, and it'll probably be more like 91 or 92. I'm saying 42-33 after the break to win it, including 7-7 against the Tigers, and 7-6 against the Twins.

junkyarddoug
07-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Anybody know where to find the strength of schedule for each the sox, twins, and tigers for the second half?

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?name=olney_buster&id=5372986

For those who don't have insider access, it says Minnesota has easiest 2nd half schedule of the 3.

Minnesota - 38 Home, 36 Away, 33 games against teams over .500
Detriot - 36 Home, 40 Away, 42 games against teams over .500
Sox - 35 Home, 40 Away, 40 games against teams over .500

I think the division is decided by the 27 games (14 Detroit, 13 Minnesota) against our top competitors in the division.

Noneck
07-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Wait...what?

It's going to take at least 88 wins, and it'll probably be more like 91 or 92. I'm saying 42-33 after the break to win it, including 7-7 against the Tigers, and 7-6 against the Twins.

I stand corrected. The Sox cant play .500 ball from here out with 75 left. So I will say 1 over .500, 87 wins. I don't think this division is very good.

TheOldRoman
07-13-2010, 12:23 PM

B) Carlos Quentin's WAR is already positive, 0.2 for the season according to FanGraphs (http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=6274&position=OF).No, I know exactly what it means, which is why I trash it. To look at Quentin's HR and RBI production this year and say his defense is XX bad (arbitrarily created number) that he is no better, or more specifically "0.2 wins" better than a replacement player is asinine. So, over the course of a season, the Sox would have only .5 wins more with Carlos in RF than a random career journeyman? Somebody get Bobby Kielty on the phone! Defensive metrics are nonsense. WAR, what is it good for? Absolutely nothing.:cool:

doublem23
07-13-2010, 12:36 PM
No, I know exactly what it means, which is why I trash it. To look at Quentin's HR and RBI production this year and say his defense is XX bad (arbitrarily created number) that he is no better, or more specifically "0.2 wins" better than a replacement player is asinine. So, over the course of a season, the Sox would have only .5 wins more with Carlos in RF than a random career journeyman? Somebody get Bobby Kielty on the phone! Defensive metrics are nonsense. WAR, what is it good for? Absolutely nothing.:cool:

His WAR is being weighed down by his awful, awful start to the season. It just doesn't reset in July because he's all of a sudden hitting the ball. It's because he has a 2-month statistical anchor attached to anything he produces this year. His defense doesn't help his case, but anybody who understands how WAR works, regardless of how they feel about the stat in general, would understand that the main reason Carlos has only contributed 1/5 of a win to this team so far this year is because he was a win leach during April and May. WAR is not a predictive stat, the fact that he's at .2 today does not mean his stats would univerally translate to a .2 in WAR, that's just where we're at today, based on the cumulative play this season. His 0.2 WAR is not saying the Sox would be better off with Bobby Kielty in the long-run, it's saying that up to this point, Carlos' production has only been slightly better than any AAAA scrub you could find, over the course of the year so far.

Also, his WAR is probably lagging because his recent hot streak has coincided with everyone else's hot streaks, so his hits are not always as valuable as if he would have been hitting earlier in the year when the team was in a funk. A grand slam is great, don't get me wrong, but a grand slam in the 6th inning, when your team is already up 9-5 is less valuable in terms of Win Probablity than say, when he came up with the bases loaded in the 4th inning on May 26, vs. Cleveland, with the Sox leading 1-0. That at bat ended in a strike out. Even though swapping the results of those two plate apperances would cancel out his traditional stats like HR, BA, K, and RBI it would affect his WAR since the grand slam to extend a lead to 5 early in a game is more valuable than a grand slam to extend a lead to 8 late in the game.

EDIT: For what it's worth, Carlos' grand slam on Sunday against Kansas City was worth 3% in terms of WPA. After the at-bat in May when he struck out with the bases loaded, Mark Teahen ripped a double to score a pair of runs. Teahen's double, worth 2 runs less than a GS and also with an added out (from the K) was still worth 17% of WPA. So imagine how much more valuable a grand slam would have been.

UofCSoxFan
07-13-2010, 01:17 PM
No, I know exactly what it means, which is why I trash it. To look at Quentin's HR and RBI production this year and say his defense is XX bad (arbitrarily created number) that he is no better, or more specifically "0.2 wins" better than a replacement player is asinine. So, over the course of a season, the Sox would have only .5 wins more with Carlos in RF than a random career journeyman? Somebody get Bobby Kielty on the phone! Defensive metrics are nonsense. WAR, what is it good for? Absolutely nothing.:cool:

I understand what you are saying, but from the standpoint that thinks sabermetrics are a good tool to support/refute what your eyes are seeing but by no means tell the whole story or replace good old fashioned scouting I'd like to make a couple points:

First, Carlos Quentin is not a good defense outfielder. His best asset is his arm but it's not incredibly accurate. He made a great catch the other day but it was on a ball that a better outfielder gets to sooner and doesn't have to make a ridiculous play on the ball. I don't need zone rating to tell me that. He takes awful routes to the ball and should at most be a LF but most likely a DH. Since defense is half the game, it's understandable it drives down his WAR.

Second, while Quentin had a ton of RBIs for his batting average early in the year his OBP and average were so low that I don't think it was that big of a stretch to say that an average player (Bobby Kielty is not average) would have been prefered. RBIs are great but largely a function of your teammates. Someone with a higher batting average getting the opportunities that Quentin had would have driven in more runs, in all liklihood. It's not a coincidence that the Sox turnaround has coincided with Quentin's.

You seem to trivalize .5 WAR over the course of a year. First of all WAR is not a good thing to extrapolate over the course of the year. I think Q is an example of why that is. The stat is meant to look back on past performance and also to look at historical YEARLY totals for what can be expected in following years.

For reference, Mauer is at 2 for the year. His huge contract that kicks in next year (8 years 186 million) pays him like a 5.5 WAR player. Of course Q is making nowhere near that.

On a whole this year Q has an above average player. If he keeps playing like he has been he will be way more than average and will be invaluable to this team. I'm just not sure he invalidates the use of WAR as a stat.

As another reference point Alex Rios, due largely to his great defense is the 6th best OF in all of baseball in terms of WAR. That kind of seems right to me.

TheOldRoman
07-13-2010, 01:17 PM
His WAR is being weighed down by his awful, awful start to the season. It just doesn't reset in July because he's all of a sudden hitting the ball. It's because he has a 2-month statistical anchor attached to anything he produces this year. His defense doesn't help his case, but anybody who understands how WAR works, regardless of how they feel about the stat in general, would understand that the main reason Carlos has only contributed 1/5 of a win to this team so far this year is because he was a win leach during April and May. WAR is not a predictive stat, the fact that he's at .2 today does not mean his stats would univerally translate to a .2 in WAR, that's just where we're at today, based on the cumulative play this season. His 0.2 WAR is not saying the Sox would be better off with Bobby Kielty in the long-run, it's saying that up to this point, Carlos' production has only been slightly better than any AAAA scrub you could find, over the course of the year so far.

Also, his WAR is probably lagging because his recent hot streak has coincided with everyone else's hot streaks, so his hits are not always as valuable as if he would have been hitting earlier in the year when the team was in a funk. A grand slam is great, don't get me wrong, but a grand slam in the 6th inning, when your team is already up 9-5 is less valuable in terms of Win Probablity than say, when he came up with the bases loaded in the 4th inning on May 26, vs. Cleveland, with the Sox leading 1-0. That at bat ended in a strike out. Even though swapping the results of those two plate apperances would cancel out his traditional stats like HR, BA, K, and RBI it would affect his WAR since the grand slam to extend a lead to 5 early in a game is more valuable than a grand slam to extend a lead to 8 late in the game.

EDIT: For what it's worth, Carlos' grand slam on Sunday against Kansas City was worth 3% in terms of WPA. After the at-bat in May when he struck out with the bases loaded, Mark Teahen ripped a double to score a pair of runs. Teahen's double, worth 2 runs less than a GS and also with an added out (from the K) was still worth 17% of WPA. So imagine how much more valuable a grand slam would have been.And I think that is ridiculous. Even before the current hot streak, Carlos was driving in runs. As awful as his season was, he was coming up with big hits.

Gavin
07-13-2010, 01:46 PM
The Sox attendance figures for June and July are awesome and inspiring... especially compared to say, April and May with were colder and less attended.. and the team sucked:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2010-schedule-scores.shtml

tstrike2000
07-13-2010, 03:59 PM
It's always a nice thing, too to only hear crickets chirping from northside fans while the Sox are doing well.

TomBradley72
07-13-2010, 04:23 PM
[QUOTE=UofCSoxFan;2554061]
First, Carlos Quentin is not a good defense outfielder. His best asset is his arm but it's not incredibly accurate. He made a great catch the other day but it was on a ball that a better outfielder gets to sooner and doesn't have to make a ridiculous play on the ball. I don't need zone rating to tell me that. He takes awful routes to the ball and should at most be a LF but most likely a DH. Since defense is half the game, it's understandable it drives down his WAR.

Second, while Quentin had a ton of RBIs for his batting average early in the year his OBP and average were so low that I don't think it was that big of a stretch to say that an average player (Bobby Kielty is not average) would have been prefered. RBIs are great but largely a function of your teammates. Someone with a higher batting average getting the opportunities that Quentin had would have driven in more runs, in all liklihood. It's not a coincidence that the Sox turnaround has coincided with Quentin's.

/QUOTE]

If you're referring to the catch on July 5th..I disagree..that was a flat out great catch on a frozen rope.

As far as his RBI's go...he's had a great batting average w/RISP all year, even when he was slumping. He's hitting .371 w/RISP for the year. He's 4th in the American League in that category, only Young (Minn), Crawford (TB) and Andrus (Tex) are ahead of him.

TheOldRoman
07-13-2010, 04:38 PM
The Sox attendance figures for June and July are awesome and inspiring... especially compared to say, April and May with were colder and less attended.. and the team sucked:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2010-schedule-scores.shtml Especially with, as Hawk whined about during the games, rain killing the walk up last Tuesday and Wednesday. It cost the Sox at least 5,000 per game.

Hitmen77
07-13-2010, 10:08 PM

Yes!

For all I know, the Sox will stumble out of the gate after the All-Star break and fall flat on their face. But if we can't enjoy this run now (like some of the dark clouds are suggesting), then we're a pretty miserable bunch.

It's always a nice thing, too to only hear crickets chirping from northside fans while the Sox are doing well.

:nod: