PDA

View Full Version : Hawk takes a beating from GQ

Rockabilly
07-12-2010, 12:59 PM
http://www.gq.com/sports/lists/201007/five-best-worst-mlb-broadcast-booths#slide=10

Ron Karkovice
07-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Everybody in the world entering this thread thought it was going to be an article on how Hawk dresses terribly...

Coops4Aces
07-12-2010, 01:06 PM
http://www.gq.com/sports/lists/201007/five-best-worst-mlb-broadcast-booths#slide=10

:shrug: He's a homer, we already knew that.

Everybody in the world entering this thread thought it was going to be an article on how Hawk dresses terribly...

Yup haha

Madvora
07-12-2010, 01:06 PM
"Jam City"???

chisoxfanatic
07-12-2010, 01:09 PM
I don't understand why people get their panties up in a wad over "homerism." If he were a national broadcaster, that would be one thing. But, Hawk is a broadcaster of the White Sox. He is speaking to White Sox fans. He can be biased during his broadcasts!

Madvora
07-12-2010, 01:12 PM
I don't understand why people get their panties up in a wad over "homerism." If he were a national broadcaster, that would be one thing. But, Hawk is a broadcaster of the White Sox. He is speaking to White Sox fans. He can be biased during his broadcasts!
You know, I think I have a good explanation for this. The people that complain about this aren't used to hearing their own teams broadcast in this way. They are used to their broadcasters acting like national ones, then when they do hear Hawk it's always him rooting against their own team, so, being an outsider, how could you not hate that?

I think if a lot of other fans had their own broadcaster rooting for their team, they would love it.

34 Inch Stick
07-12-2010, 01:15 PM

I don't mind him being White Sox biased, but Hawk is like the Iraqi PR guy who reported that his troops were beating the infidels as the americans were tearing down Hussain statues.

stevemcstud
07-12-2010, 01:17 PM
Whats funny is everything they name in this article is everything I love about Hawk.

Dan H
07-12-2010, 01:18 PM
I don't mind some of Hawk's homerism. After all, his job is to sell the team as well as broadcast. But he goes way overboard and it's getting tiresome. A few weeks ago when Carlos Quentin made a great catch, Hawk said it was the greatest catch he'd ever seen made by a right fielder. Really? Pop ups to shortstops could have been home runs, but the Sox hitters "just missed it." Fly balls that don't make the warning track, are considered deep, at least when Sox players hit them. I don't expect candor. but I don't want my intelligence insulted. I wish Hawk would stop but he won't. So now I'm hitting the mute button.

JC456
07-12-2010, 01:28 PM
I heard Bert Blylevin working one of the Sox Nationally televised games against Washington, complaining that the White Sox were playing the Washington Nationals, while the Twins were playing Philadelphia. He was complaining that they don't play the same teams during interleague.

All I could think was what a whiner on a national game.

Hitmen77
07-12-2010, 01:38 PM

+1

There are plenty of over-the-top things that Hawk says that annoys me, but the examples given in this write up are very weak. Hawk says "1-0 Good Guys". What a travesty! Funny thing is that the now deified Harry Caray used to say this exact same thing in his broadcasts 30 years ago.

JC456
07-12-2010, 01:41 PM
I don't mind some of Hawk's homerism. After all, his job is to sell the team as well as broadcast. But he goes way overboard and it's getting tiresome. A few weeks ago when Carlos Quentin made a great catch, Hawk said it was the greatest catch he'd ever seen made by a right fielder. Really? Pop ups to shortstops could have been home runs, but the Sox hitters "just missed it." Fly balls that don't make the warning track, are considered deep, at least when Sox players hit them. I don't expect candor. but I don't want my intelligence insulted. I wish Hawk would stop but he won't. So now I'm hitting the mute button.
He calls a lazy fly a can a corn for both teams. Dag gum it!

aryzner
07-12-2010, 01:47 PM
I like Hawk and have grown up with him but even I admit some of his stuff gets old. I hate when he complains and talks about bad calls inning after inning when the call's been over and done with for over an hour.

They fail to mention in this list that when Hawk says, "1-0 Good Guys," one big reason if not THE reason he says that is because of that old Sox slogan that said, "Good guys wear black."

ChicagoRushFan
07-12-2010, 01:54 PM
I understand the criticism of Hawk, and I too get tired of him lamenting a missed call innings later.

However I think the thing most of those criticizing him fail to realize is the place the Sox have in the city's landscape. With the Cubs having a much larger fanbase both locally and nationally, the voice of a diehard White Sox fan on the broadcast is a great contrast. It stants out. It says to a White Sox fan, you're not alone. When I was a young kid I think Hawk always made me feel like the Sox really mattered, even if all my classmates and little league teammates liked the Cubs.

Pear-Zin-Ski
07-12-2010, 01:54 PM
...who does Hawk get his paycheck from?

Rdy2PlayBall
07-12-2010, 01:59 PM
The announcer in MLB the Show says "good guys"... I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of announcers say the same thing. The only reason a Sox fan could hate the Hawk is if they don't like someone rooting the Sox along with them, or they can't stand when someone else notices something bad just happened, and they wish they could just pout by themselves. Many people like to watch games alone, and that's impossible when Hawk is the announcer. He not only an announcer, he's a friend your watching the game with. (some don't like that I guess)

I don't see how a non-Sox fan could consider him a TOP announcer... but I also don't see why a non-Sox fan has a right to consider him the worst, just because he is a "homer."

And I don't think I have ever heard him say "jam city" ... maybe "he just jammed himself" ... but "jam city"? We have to question this source. :cool:

theamb
07-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Glad to see they really didn't include Steve Stone in the equation.

Hawk is just that bad

TomBradley72
07-12-2010, 02:22 PM
I'm a big fan of the Hawk. I lived in Virginia and California for about 5 years, so had the Extra Innings package though DirecTV...most local announcing teams are both boring and generic. I don't mind homers at all...I think they make the game more interesting..escpacially if you're going to end up listening to them 162 times over the course of a season.

Hawks brings some very unique insights to the game...more than most of the other announcing teams combined. Teaming with Stone, they belong more in the "top 5" then the "bottom 5".

hawkjt
07-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Hawk doesn't ''try '' to be folksy...he is folksy. This dbag critic clearly subscribes to the vanilla presentation. The worship of Scully is not for me...he is ok,but not a god like some seem to feel.

If guys like this have their way, games will be done by robots by 2050...no inflection in the voice, no color,nothing to differentiate from any other announcer...interchangable announcers...do any team any nite and no one will notice...

Hawk is a tough listen for non-sox fans...so? Isn't that who watches sox games? I know on WGN they go nationwide,but most of the telecasts are for Sox fans for the most part...so if Hawk caters to them,whats the beef?

I think Stoney and Hawk have settled in well as a team. Stoney guides Hawk gently away from his worst impulses,and adds a solid analyst who does know the whole league.

Agree or disagree,one thing is absolutely a fact...highlights guys on both ESPN and MLBNetwork use Hawkisms and Hawk calls more than any other announcer in MLB. Why? Because it is fun,and that is what baseball is supposed to be,not brain surgery.

DirtySox
07-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Hawk is an embarrassment and a buffoon. The sooner he is gone the better.

Stone is love though.

theamb
07-12-2010, 02:26 PM
I don't mind him being White Sox biased, but Hawk is like the Iraqi PR guy who reported that his troops were beating the infidels as the americans were tearing down Hussain statues.

This.

GoGoCrede
07-12-2010, 02:28 PM
I won't be sad to see him retire, but it WILL be weird to hear whomever his replacement is going to be. I'm so used to hearing him.

TomBradley72
You know, I think I have a good explanation for this. The people that complain about this aren't used to hearing their own teams broadcast in this way. They are used to their broadcasters acting like national ones, then when they do hear Hawk it's always him rooting against their own team, so, being an outsider, how could you not hate that?

EVERY local broadcast I've ever watched had a big dose of "homerism" (which is OK w/me). Including the beloved Harry Caray
on the other side of town, or that Yankees guy.

I've had extensive exposure to the Brewers, Orioles, Braves, Giants, A's..they're all homers...but (other than Jon Miller) really boring/non-descript homers.

soltrain21
They obviously aren't talking about his wardrobe.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/1968/0902_mid.jpg

WhiteSox1989
07-12-2010, 02:32 PM
I just love Hawk because he's so unbiased, it's really refreshing.

WhiteSox1989
07-12-2010, 02:32 PM
They obviously aren't talking about his wardrobe.

Dapper.

Slappy
07-12-2010, 02:37 PM
If it hadn't already, it's getting to embarrassing levels lately. He sounds like he's rooting for his mentally-disabled child at his first pee-wee game or something. The way his voice rises when a fly ball is hit that could get over his head ("Stretch! Stretch!! Nawwwww, DADGUMMIT!!") is really painful to hear every other batter. The juxtaposition between Hawks homerism and Stone's by-the-book analysis only makes Hawk seem more ridiculous.

At least he's not as bad as Santo. :shrug:

theamb
07-12-2010, 02:42 PM
My dream is to see one game broadcasted by Hawk and Santo

Now that would be train wreck tv

Crestani
07-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Hawk doesn't ''try '' to be folksy...he is folksy. This dbag critic clearly subscribes to the vanilla presentation. The worship of Scully is not for me...he is ok,but not a god like some seem to feel.

If guys like this have their way, games will be done by robots by 2050...no inflection in the voice, no color,nothing to differentiate from any other announcer...interchangable announcers...do any team any nite and no one will notice...

Hawk is a tough listen for non-sox fans...so? Isn't that who watches sox games? I know on WGN they go nationwide,but most of the telecasts are for Sox fans for the most part...so if Hawk caters to them,whats the beef?

I think Stoney and Hawk have settled in well as a team. Stoney guides Hawk gently away from his worst impulses,and adds a solid analyst who does know the whole league.

Agree or disagree,one thing is absolutely a fact...highlights guys on both ESPN and MLBNetwork use Hawkisms and Hawk calls more than any other announcer in MLB. Why? Because it is fun,and that is what baseball is supposed to be,not brain surgery.

I love it when you analyze..!!:D:

Over By There
07-12-2010, 02:53 PM
The announcer in MLB the Show says "good guys"... I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of announcers say the same thing.

They do. I was watching one of the Sox games against the Nattionals on MLBN, and they were carrying the Nationals feed. Rob Dibble calls the Nats "the good guys." I made a note of it because I thought it was a Hawkism.

downstairs
07-12-2010, 03:10 PM
I'm beginning to dislike Hawk for lots of reasons, but homerism is not one of them. I'll never understand the dislike for homerism. Do you really WANT your announcer to sound like a national announcer?

While I dig seeing the Sox in a national game, I generally miss the homer announcer.

I hate the Yankees, but have no problem with that "THAAAAA YANKEEES WIN!" dude. He's on their side! Good for him!

Ron Karkovice
07-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Thread HIJACK:

Ranger is on the score and he just mentioned a "guy on the message boards who would put up the number of cubs stories vs. sox stories daily, and I was like what are you doing??"

Who was he talking about?

Madvora
07-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Thread HIJACK:

Ranger is on the score and he just mentioned a "guy on the message boards who would put up the number of cubs stories vs. sox stories daily, and I was like what are you doing??"

Hangar18 had a running total.

TheVulture
07-12-2010, 03:58 PM
A bunch of metros don't like Hawk?:whocares

TomBradley72
07-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Thread HIJACK:

Hangar's legend lives!

Ron Karkovice
07-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Hangar's legend lives!

Is he still on the boards? I definitely remember him posting all the time, but haven't seen him in awhile...

C-Dawg
07-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Do you really WANT your announcer to sound like a national announcer?

Good point. Taken to an extreme, the national guys sometimes sound like they don't like ANY teams. Joe Buck for example.

kobo
07-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Is he still on the boards? I definitely remember him posting all the time, but haven't seen him in awhile...
He hasn't posted in a couple years. I don't know if he was banned or just stopped posting.

pudge
07-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Hawk is an embarrassment and a buffoon. The sooner he is gone the better.

Stone is love though.

Honestly, Hawk haters, just wait until the day he's gone and we have some dull drone behind the microphone.

Not only that, but every once in a while you realize what brilliant insight he has to offer - I don't think we get to hear even half of it on the broadcast... does anyone remember the game earlier this year when Gordon was struggling and had two strikes, and Hawk said something like, "He's going to come at you with the changeup, young man, and when that happens you won't be able to hit it" and sure enough, next pitch, changeup, whiff, strikeout. To be able to call something like that with such confidence shows a knowledge of the game your average PBP guy, and even color guy, does not have.

DirtySox
07-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Not only that, but every once in a while you realize what brilliant insight he has to offer.

Hawk? Insightful? Hilarious.

soltrain21
07-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Hangar18 would tell stories of a Cubs/Sox argument he got into at a funeral.

white sox bill
07-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Is it safe to say that we really don't care what GQ thinks??
Besides I prefer Esquire...

october23sp
07-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Whatever. I love Hawk. "Get back Dayan!"

TomBradley72
07-12-2010, 05:19 PM
I just don't take my local baseball announcers that seriously...all I know is that my wife (a White Sox fan by marriage :cool:), and our group of friends who are Sox fans have alot of fun with Hawk as the announcer...he's a big part of our memories of the team ("C'mon Timo!"), he wears his emotions on his sleeve (like we do as fans), and sometimes makes us roll our eyes (umpire conspiracies)....but overall the games are more fun with him announcing than they would be with the (typically) more generic types you get in the booth..the types I've listened to via Extra Innings/DirecTV).

Carneyman14
07-12-2010, 05:26 PM
I love Hawk. He roots for the White Sox. On a White Sox network. Big Deal. He has a unique style that some people don't like I guess, but i'd take his broadcast over anybody else's.

My least favorite is Joe Morgan and Jon Miller. They don't know crap about the teams they cover (or IMO the game of baseball)

and the Texas Ranger guys.

BleacherBandit
07-12-2010, 07:11 PM
A bunch of metros don't like Hawk?:whocares

POTW. Hawk is our announcer. Any Sox fan that doesn't care to watch Sox games with the sound on obviously doesn't have much of a tolerance for anything. I've been watching him for fifteen years and have seen almost every game. Deal with it.

MarySwiss
07-12-2010, 07:21 PM
The only time I find Hawk annoying is when he isn't being a homer, like when he gushes over a player from some other team. Especially if it's a team in our division. :cool:

Zakath
07-12-2010, 07:45 PM

Don't necessarily agree with this. Yes, Hawk is an unabashed homer who is openly rooting not only for the team but for individual players to do well, but when they're playing bad, you can hear it in his voice. He may not come right out and say "This team sucks today" but you can tell he's disappointed. He won't be on the same level as some soccer broadcasters who can be refreshingly brutal, but he has his moments.

I love hearing other teams' fans bitch about him. Especially Tiger fans. "I can't stand to listen to him... worst ever... If I was a Sox fan, I'd want him fired... etc." Well, you're not. Don't want to listen to him? Good, don't. Hit the damn mute button. Don't watch the game.

Is he the greatest broadcaster ever? Hell, no. Does he bitch for inning after inning about bad calls? Yes, which, surprisingly, most fans do as well, just without a mic. Do we hear too many stories about Alvin Dark and Dick Williams? Way too many.

So what? He's entertaining, and adds a different spin to a White Sox broadcast that you'll get from any other local broadcast in the country. Somehow, being different must be wrong...

Zakath
07-12-2010, 07:46 PM
The only time I find Hawk annoying is when he isn't being a homer, like when he gushes over a player from some other team. Especially if it's a team in our division. :cool:

The M&M boys?

doogiec
07-12-2010, 08:03 PM
I heard Bert Blylevin working one of the Sox Nationally televised games against Washington, complaining that the White Sox were playing the Washington Nationals, while the Twins were playing Philadelphia. He was complaining that they don't play the same teams during interleague.

Id like to hear a tape of Bert at the end of 2008 to hear if he was similarly concerned with strength of schedule. While the Sox played 6 against the 97 win Cubs, the Twins had six against the 90 win Brewers. The Twins also had series against the last place Padres (63 wins) and Nationals (59 wins). The Twins had the easiest interleague schedule in the AL (each opponent averaged almost 6 less wins than the Sox opponents), a piece of luck that probably enabled them to make it to a one game playoff in the first place. But all we hear is whining about the coin flip costing them a chance to play the tie breaker in their rubber coated, air inflated, **** hole of a stadium.

I hope the Sox and Twins tie, and the Sox get the tie breaker at home as a result of one extra head to head win. The Twins will probably whine that strength of schedule should give them home field.

tstrike2000
07-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Not ironic that a couple of the other broadcasters in the bottom 5 are former Cubs broadcasters, Brennaman and Staats.

fram40
07-12-2010, 09:31 PM
Don't necessarily agree with this. Yes, Hawk is an unabashed homer who is openly rooting not only for the team but for individual players to do well, but when they're playing bad, you can hear it in his voice. He may not come right out and say "This team sucks today" but you can tell he's disappointed. He won't be on the same level as some soccer broadcasters who can be refreshingly brutal, but he has his moments.

I love hearing other teams' fans bitch about him. Especially Tiger fans. "I can't stand to listen to him... worst ever... If I was a Sox fan, I'd want him fired... etc." Well, you're not. Don't want to listen to him? Good, don't. Hit the damn mute button. Don't watch the game.

Is he the greatest broadcaster ever? Hell, no. Does he bitch for inning after inning about bad calls? Yes, which, surprisingly, most fans do as well, just without a mic. Do we hear too many stories about Alvin Dark and Dick Williams? Way too many.

So what? He's entertaining, and adds a different spin to a White Sox broadcast that you'll get from any other local broadcast in the country. Somehow, being different must be wrong...

great post.

p.s. - I like Jon Miller. For a national announcer he is pretty damn good at PBP. Makes the games exciting. His call of Thome's first homer as a Sox was spectacular (imo). Don't forget his calls for the Gooch's homers vs. the Astros when the Sox rallied from that 9 - 1 deficit to tie the game.

SephClone89
07-12-2010, 09:40 PM
great post.

p.s. - I like Jon Miller. For a national announcer he is pretty damn good at PBP. Makes the games exciting. His call of Thome's first homer as a Sox was spectacular (imo). Don't forget his calls for the Gooch's homers vs. the Astros when the Sox rallied from that 9 - 1 deficit to tie the game.

Jon Miller's great. I love hearing him do Giants games. It's unfair that people think he's bad just because he works with Joe Morgan every week.

pearso66
07-12-2010, 09:49 PM
The announcer in MLB the Show says "good guys"... I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of announcers say the same thing.

I asked my friend who plays with the Tigers on the Show, and he says he's never heard them say that once. The way he says it to me makes it sound like it's a Hawkism. I wonder if anyone else here who plays with other teams has heard it for that team.

fram40
07-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Jon Miller's great. I love hearing him do Giants games. It's unfair that people think he's bad just because he works with Joe Morgan every week.

I kind of like Joe Morgan as well. He seems to like the Sox, he certainly loves Nellie Fox, and he dismisses Ryno.

rdivaldi
07-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Snore, another lame article about baseball announcers. Seriously, who in their right mind finds this important? It's laughable at best when critics try to shove their opinion of what makes a good announcer down our throats. Would they rather all of them be the same? Maybe we could just have identical robots call every local broadcast. This article will make a nice covering for the bottom of a birdcage somewhere...

SephClone89
07-12-2010, 10:01 PM
I asked my friend who plays with the Tigers on the Show, and he says he's never heard them say that once. The way he says it to me makes it sound like it's a Hawkism. I wonder if anyone else here who plays with other teams has heard it for that team.

Yeah, I'm pretty damn sure that Vasgersian only says that during Sox games.

chisoxfanatic
07-12-2010, 10:12 PM
I won't be sad to see him retire, but it WILL be weird to hear whomever his replacement is going to be. I'm so used to hearing him.
I will be very sad when he's done broadcasting. It will take a LONG time adjusting to his replacement. It will be even harder than adjusting to broadcasts without Wimpy. Fortunately, he probably is going to be in the booth for a long time still.
Hangar18 would tell stories of a Cubs/Sox argument he got into at a funeral.
I've personally seen some of Hangar18's "Stupid Cub Fan Moments," so I wouldn't be surprised if he DID get into an argument at a funeral.

Slappy
07-12-2010, 10:55 PM

Well done.

MARTINMVP
07-12-2010, 10:56 PM
Thread HIJACK:

I heard that too today... there are other Sox message boards, so he could be talking about someone from another board, if not this one. He did sound like he was referring to one particular poster, and not an entire group of posters.

I'm only on my 2nd year of watching Sox baseball regularly... I understand how some people can find Hawk annoying. His particular style of broadcasting will not appeal to everyone, whether they like the Sox or not. I happen to like Hawk and Stoney. Without getting personal, I find Brenly and Kasper to be boring. I always hear Danny Mac mention that he finds them to be more insightful and entertaining than the Sox television broadcasts - I just don't get it, but that is his prerogative.

Speaking of not getting it, how did Ron Santo not make the "worst" list. I don't get how some people find his act to be cute.

Whitesox029
07-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Guilty.
Honestly though...that's the only credibility GQ would have in talking about sports. On top of the fact that Hawk does dress terribly, who wouldn't think that?

Slappy
07-12-2010, 11:02 PM
I heard that too today... there are other Sox message boards, so he could be talking about someone from another board, if not this one. He did sound like he was referring to one particular poster, and not an entire group of posters.

I'm only on my 2nd year of watching Sox baseball regularly... I understand how some people can find Hawk annoying. His particular style of broadcasting will not appeal to everyone, whether they like the Sox or not. I happen to like Hawk and Stoney. Without getting personal, I find Brenly and Kasper to be boring. I always hear Danny Mac mention that he finds them to be more insightful and entertaining than the Sox television broadcasts - I just don't get it, but that is his prerogative.

Speaking of not getting it, how did Ron Santo not make the "worst" list. I don't get how some people find his act to be cute.

I think I've listened to Santo once this year on accident, and I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. His act, if it is one, is super ****ing annoying.

I don't watch the Cubs often but this year I started to watch a couple games when guys on my fantasy team were playing them. But yeah, I went from thinking Brenly/Kasper were very good to thinking they are a little on the boring side recently. I don't know if this has to do with my dislike of most everything Cubs, their terrible play this year or what, but I feel like they could stand spice it up a little. "Dead-ass team" was a step in the right direction, I guess.

Ron Karkovice
07-12-2010, 11:17 PM
Guilty.
Honestly though...that's the only credibility GQ would have in talking about sports. On top of the fact that Hawk does dress terribly, who wouldn't think that?

I honestly was expecting different pictures of Hawk in ugly fisherman hats, hawaiian shirts, eye patches...

Crede24Thome25
07-12-2010, 11:25 PM
POTW. Hawk is our announcer. Any Sox fan that doesn't care to watch Sox games with the sound on obviously doesn't have much of a tolerance for anything. I've been watching him for fifteen years and have seen almost every game. Deal with it.
:clap:, could not have said it any better.

cards press box
07-13-2010, 12:27 AM

I heard that too and thought the same thing. What made Blyleven's comments even more ridiculous was that the Sox had faced Stephen Strasburg the night before. It's hard to see how a team caught a break by facing that guy!

Hawk is just that bad

Hawk is a colorful and interesting broadcaster in an era in which the newer announcers are pretty bland and boring. What's more, Hawk is one of the few, if not the only, current broadcaster who carries on the long tradition of broadcasters developing nicknames for players. And Hawk's nicknames are among the very best in the last twenty years: the Big Hurt, El Caballo, One-Dog, the Deacon, the Little Hurt, the Little Bulldog, Black Jack and his most recent one, Mr. Souvenir (Juan Pierre).

One more thing: Hawk will someday be inducted into the announcer's wing of the Hall of Fame and he should be.

EVERY local broadcast I've ever watched had a big dose of "homerism" (which is OK w/me). Including the beloved Harry Caray
on the other side of town, or that Yankees guy.

I've had extensive exposure to the Brewers, Orioles, Braves, Giants, A's..they're all homers...but (other than Jon Miller) really boring/non-descript homers.

This is a good point, too. Hawk seems to be singled out for this and I don't really understand why.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-13-2010, 12:47 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty damn sure that Vasgersian only says that during Sox games.

Yeah, he'll say "Good Guys held in check" sometimes if the Sox don't score in an inning.

I heard Rongey talk about that too, and I assumed he meant someone on WSI, since he does post here. But this Hangar18 guy was before my time...but from the sound of things, it doesn't seem I missed a whole lot.

I like Brenly/Kasper, but if I had to be stuck calling that trainwreck of a team this year, I'd lose some of my edge too.

theamb
07-13-2010, 04:58 AM
Hawk is a colorful and interesting broadcaster in an era in which the newer announcers are pretty bland and boring. What's more, Hawk is one of the few, if not the only, current broadcaster who carries on the long tradition of broadcasters developing nicknames for players. And Hawk's nicknames are among the very best in the last twenty years: the Big Hurt, El Caballo, One-Dog, the Deacon, the Little Hurt, the Little Bulldog, Black Jack and his most recent one, Mr. Souvenir (Juan Pierre).

So, we essentially have our very own(and lesser known) Chris Berman?

Terrific...just terrific

The Immigrant
07-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Reading this thread makes me wish Hawk sticks around for another 10-15 years. He's as genuine as they come and is the perfect antidote to the bland brand of sportscaster that the Boo-Yah network is so good at pumping out. If you believe there is any legitimate comparison between Hawk Harrelson and Chris Berman, I don't know what to tell you.

DirtySox
07-13-2010, 09:20 AM
Reading this thread makes me wish Hawk sticks around for another 10-15 years. He's as genuine as they come and is the perfect antidote to the bland brand of sportscaster that the Boo-Yah network is so good at pumping out. If you believe there is any legitimate comparison between Hawk Harrelson and Chris Berman, I don't know what to tell you.

There is certainly a middle ground between loud, obnoxious, biased, unprofessional, cliche, hackneyed, and "bland."

It doesn't have to be one or the other.

chisoxfanatic
07-13-2010, 09:20 AM
They asked Hawk when he was thinking of walking away from the broadcast booth during his special on CSN last month, and he told the interviewer that he'd basically have to be dead before he walks away...he's having too much fun.

The Immigrant
07-13-2010, 09:26 AM
There is certainly a middle ground between loud, obnoxious, biased, unprofessional, cliche, hackneyed, and "bland."

It doesn't have to be one or the other.

What you see is what you get with Hawk. He's not going to change and the team is not going to replace him anytime soon.

So just sit back, relax, and strap it down for at least another decade with the Hawk.

ewokpelts
07-13-2010, 11:23 AM
listen to seattle's broadcast team. you'll be begging for hawk after that snoozefest inseattle.

34 Inch Stick
07-13-2010, 12:28 PM
What you see is what you get with Hawk. He's not going to change and the team is not going to replace him anytime soon. .

I'd love that to be true. The knife in Paciorek's back tells me differently as does the full team effort in response to Mariotti. Warranted or not, Hawk is a much more calculated person than his corn pone image would lead you to believe.

sox84
07-13-2010, 01:41 PM
As has been pointed out already a number of times, there's nothing wrong with being a homer on your teams broadcasts. I like his passion for the Sox, and am disappointed when he he doesnt spout a 'Hawkism' in a situation calling for one. That article sounds like elitist crap to me, but the turkey better look behind him and notice not evryone is following him!:?:

areilly
07-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Too bad the GQ folks weren't watching on Sunday. Hawk would've gift-wrapped their write-up when he declared, on the air mind you, admist a discussion of the All-Star game, that Dan Plesac was the best left-handed reliever ever.

I cringed, and hoped no one else heard that.

tstrike2000
07-13-2010, 03:30 PM
I'd love that to be true. The knife in Paciorek's back tells me differently as does the full team effort in response to Mariotti. Warranted or not, Hawk is a much more calculated person than his corn pone image would lead you to believe.

I'm not defending Hawk, but was there really a true reason why Wimpy left? I've heard a couple of different versions; Hawk basically forced him out, that Wimpy got sick of Hawk's ego and simply quit, or he left to be closer to wherever he lives. Outside of Hawk's ego and broadcasting style, which is obviously not everyone's cup of tea, I never really heard of him being calculating.

soltrain21
07-13-2010, 03:45 PM
I just wish he would shut the **** up about the umps once in a while. It's embarrassing.

Also - he really needs to stop his double "yes" on homeruns. He completely ruined that call.

MeteorsSox4367
07-13-2010, 03:47 PM
As much as some people dislike Hawk, at least he brings some enthusiasm to the broadcast unlike some national announcers who sound bored out of their minds and local guys like Len Kasper.

I'm sure Kasper is a nice man, but he is as exciting as lowfat, sugar-free vanilla ice cream. Brenly is insightful, but he also complains too much about balls and strikes.

If the Sox could somehow trade DJ to the Cubs for Pat Hughes, they would be all set.

Zakath
07-13-2010, 05:25 PM
So, we essentially have our very own(and lesser known) Chris Berman?

Terrific...just terrific

Sorry, but if you listened to Berman last night at the HR Derby, you'll realize how good Hawk is in comparison. At least Hawk played the game, and he's doing a local broadcast.

Berman is now just a caricature of himself. I can't wait for the inevitable Maggie Mae reference that we're going to get on NFL Gameday around Week 4...

Rikirk
07-13-2010, 06:13 PM
I like Hawk, and Stoney.
As for GQ and their article...they can suck it.

I dont mind Hawks homerism, his hawkisms, and what he did in the past is the past and none of my concern.

He entertains during a broadcast....thats all I want.

doublem23
07-13-2010, 06:15 PM

Which I think we all know would have been a lie.

TomParrish79
07-13-2010, 06:24 PM
maybe Hawk will be in the Human Centipede sequel

SCCWS
07-13-2010, 06:29 PM
Have any of you heard a Boston Celtic TV broadcast? Tommy Heinsohn( color) may be the worst "homer" to ever do a game. Considering Johnny Most did Celtic games years ago and it says a lot about how bad TH is. Heinsohn is adored by Celtic fans.

BleacherBandit
07-13-2010, 06:30 PM
maybe Hawk will be in the Human Centipede sequel

I saw that movie and associating anyone with it as a joke is kinda questionable.

TheCommander
07-13-2010, 07:17 PM
Sorry, but if you listened to Berman last night at the HR Derby, you'll realize how good Hawk is in comparison. At least Hawk played the game, and he's doing a local broadcast.

Berman is now just a caricature of himself. I can't wait for the inevitable Maggie Mae reference that we're going to get on NFL Gameday around Week 4...

:tealtutor:

PeteWard
07-14-2010, 07:17 AM
Harrelson is a joke and should retire. I've despised him since he joined in the 80's and it's too bad be did not leave with the clown he arrived with, Don Drysdale -- who seemed to actually dislike the Sox and Chicago. I hate Hawk's accent, his silly macho Texas phrasing & posturing, his home run call :(:, and I hate that bad calls against the Sox are harped on for innings afterwards while bad calls against their oppents are ignored.

Harry & Jimmy were openly pulling for the Sox -- as fans almost-- but were not homers. Hawk is a homer.

PeteWard
07-14-2010, 07:21 AM

I am dealing with it. By saying he sucks!:rolleyes:

Railsplitter
07-14-2010, 10:35 AM
GQ is a waste of paper and ink anyway.

Mohoney
07-14-2010, 12:51 PM

In an interview given on the Score a few years ago, Jon Miller suggested that the intentional walk rule should be changed. He wanted to allow each team to designate one batter in the lineup that would receive 2 bases on any intentional walk.

I'll pass on Jon Miller.

Ron Karkovice
07-14-2010, 12:55 PM
In an interview given on the Score a few years ago, Jon Miller suggested that the intentional walk rule should be changed. He wanted to allow each team to designate one batter in the lineup that would receive 2 bases on any intentional walk.

I'll pass on Jon Miller.

haha if this were the case, bonds would have hit 100 homers back in whatever year he "broke the record"

Bob Roarman
07-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Too bad the GQ folks weren't watching on Sunday. Hawk would've gift-wrapped their write-up when he declared, on the air mind you, admist a discussion of the All-Star game, that Dan Plesac was the best left-handed reliever ever.

I cringed, and hoped no one else heard that.

Yeah my problem with Hawk isn't really with his catch phrases or anything like that, it's him talking out of his ass more than half the time. There are a lot of times where he is just wrong. Just flat out ****ing wrong.

PatK
07-14-2010, 02:23 PM
If there one place that you go to for accurate, critical reviews of sports, it's a men's fashion magazine.

mbwhitesox
07-14-2010, 03:44 PM
For the most part I like Hawk, but I am getting a little weary of his "Don't stop now boys" he uses seemingly every time the Sox get an RBI.

Point is, love him or hate him, Hawk is a part of the White Sox and will always be remembered as such, especially since he is tied to the 2005 team. His homerism can grate sometimes, but I much prefer that to someone who has no passion whatsoever for the team. Things definitely won't be the same once he retires.

MarySwiss
07-14-2010, 03:45 PM
If there one place that you go to for accurate, critical reviews of sports, it's a men's fashion magazine.

Exactly! :D:

sachin
07-14-2010, 03:49 PM

Stoney? Who are you, his girlfriend? The man's name is Steve Stone.

Zakath
07-14-2010, 03:51 PM

I'll pass on Jon Miller.

He wanted to turn baseball into co-ed softball?

SoxandtheCityTee
07-14-2010, 03:55 PM
And Hawk's name is Ken Harrelson, Paulie's is Paul Konerko, TCQ's is Carlos Quentin . . . I've never dated any of these guys, or the zillions of other sports figures that have nicknames.

Hawk uses several nicknames for the Stone Pony on the air. So what if someone here uses nicknames?

sachin
07-14-2010, 04:02 PM
And Hawk's name is Ken Harrelson, Paulie's is Paul Konerko, TCQ's is Carlos Quentin . . . I've never dated any of these guys, or the zillions of other sports figures that have nicknames.

Hawk uses several nicknames for the Stone Pony on the air. So what if someone here uses nicknames?

It is a lack of respect to Steve Stone, who is thought highly of in the worlds of baseball.

Ron Karkovice
07-14-2010, 04:07 PM
It is a lack of respect to Steve Stone, who is thought highly of in the worlds of baseball.

You're looking too much into it sachiny

MarySwiss
07-14-2010, 04:07 PM
Stoney? Who are you, his girlfriend? The man's name is Steve Stone.

I really think that if Stoney objected to any of the nicknames, he'd let Hawk know. And if he doesn't object to them, why should we not feel free to use them? :scratch:

boiker
07-14-2010, 07:00 PM
I just wish he would shut the **** up about the umps once in a while. It's embarrassing.

If he could do this. I'd stop complaining about him. Yes, the umps suck sometimes, but 99% of the time, they are right. It goes both ways, things even out. It's baseball. He should know that of all people.

I'll never forget the final call of the 3rd game of the AL wildcard playoff against the BoSox. The White Sox had just recorded the final out and Chris Berman says "Congratulations to the Boston Red Sox for a great season.............and congratulations to the Chicago White Sox."

WHO THE F*CK congratulates a team who loses in the playoffs? This is a national broadcast. Show some damn neutrality.

longshot7
07-14-2010, 08:05 PM

We're elsewhere - but that's nothing against WSI (anymore).
:smile:

Ron Karkovice
07-14-2010, 09:10 PM
We're elsewhere - but that's nothing against WSI (anymore).
:smile:

Come again?

SOXSINCE'70
07-14-2010, 09:18 PM
My favorite "Hawk"- isms:

1. "You can put it on the boarrrrd,yyyesss!"
2. Stretch!
3. Ducksnort.
4 "That's a Matt Abatacola" (on any pitch a Sox hitter gets jammed on)
5."HE GONE"!

october23sp
07-14-2010, 09:23 PM
my favorite "hawk"- isms:

1. "you can put it on the boarrrrd,yyyesss!"
2. Stretch!
3. Ducksnort.
4 "that's a matt abatacola" (on any pitch a sox hitter gets jammed on)
5."he gone"!

joe creeeeddddee!
Alexei! Yes!!!!!! Yes!!!!!!!!!! Yes!!!!!!!!!!

Jurr
07-14-2010, 09:39 PM
If any of those writers cared about ANYTHING as much as Hawk cares about the Sox, they would not be stuck writing about sports in a magazine dedicated to upscale fashion, which I may add is a subject outside of the interests of most male sports fans.

FielderJones
07-14-2010, 09:47 PM
4. "That's a Matt Abatacola" (on any pitch a Sox hitter gets jammed on)

I'm pretty sure you have to break the bat for it to be a Matt Abatacola.

SoxandtheCityTee
07-14-2010, 09:51 PM
I'll never forget the final call of the 3rd game of the AL wildcard playoff against the BoSox. The White Sox had just recorded the final out and Chris Berman says "Congratulations to the Boston Red Sox for a great season.............and congratulations to the Chicago White Sox."

WHO THE F*CK congratulates a team who loses in the playoffs? This is a national broadcast. Show some damn neutrality.

IIRC Berman's first words after the final out were ". . . and the Red Sox dream to repeat is over" and then he mentioned that the White Sox had won. Not to nitpick -- just sticks in my mind as I still hate his guts for this. :D:

Nellie_Fox
07-15-2010, 01:09 AM
IIRC Berman's first words after the final out were ". . . and the Red Sox dream to repeat is over" and then he mentioned that the White Sox had won. Not to nitpick -- just sticks in my mind as I still hate his guts for this. :D:That's not nitpicking. That was absolute favoritism by a "national" announcer. The sadness in his voice was palpable. I wanted to kick him in the groin. Repeatedly.

SOXSINCE'70
07-15-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm pretty sure you have to break the bat for it to be a Matt Abatacola.

My mistake.You are correct.:redface:

SOXSINCE'70
07-15-2010, 10:49 AM
joe creeeeddddee!
Alexei! Yes!!!!!! Yes!!!!!!!!!! Yes!!!!!!!!!!

Add this to the list:

1."Dadgummit!"

soltrain21
07-15-2010, 11:21 AM
If any of those writers cared about ANYTHING as much as Hawk cares about the Sox, they would not be stuck writing about sports in a magazine dedicated to upscale fashion, which I may add is a subject outside of the interests of most male sports fans.

Hello there, presumption.

mjmcend
07-15-2010, 11:53 AM
That's not nitpicking. That was absolute favoritism by a "national" announcer. The sadness in his voice was palpable. I wanted to kick him in the groin. Repeatedly.

Agree wholeheartedly. Whenever I hear his voice now all I think of if that and the blood rushes to my head. I hope for the sake of my assult-free record that I never meet him in person.

Smokey Burg
07-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Who gives a rats *** about what some east coast biased, metrosexual, euro-fop oriented mens fashion magazine has to say about anyone? And as such, I want them to dislike me.

Smokey Burg
07-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Mercy!

Hitmen77
07-15-2010, 01:20 PM

IIRC Berman's first words after the final out were ". . . and the Red Sox dream to repeat is over" and then he mentioned that the White Sox had won. Not to nitpick -- just sticks in my mind as I still hate his guts for this. :D:

That's not nitpicking. That was absolute favoritism by a "national" announcer. The sadness in his voice was palpable. I wanted to kick him in the groin. Repeatedly.

Agree wholeheartedly. Whenever I hear his voice now all I think of if that and the blood rushes to my head. I hope for the sake of my assult-free record that I never meet him in person.

I totally agree. Having to listen to that crap was a complete insult to me as a Sox fan. Berman is a complete ass. I didn't watch the HR Derby on Monday because I can't stand hearing his voice and his tired cliches and stupid "backbackbackbackback....." on every damn hit. I'm not a fan of everything Hawk does, but to complain about him being a homer on a local broadcast is a ****ing joke.

If they're going to make us listen to a total Boston "homer" in the playoffs, then MLB should go back to allowing local broadcasters cover the playoffs like they did in 1983. I'm am sooooo glad that Fox and TBS have the playoffs now. It's not guaranteed that their announcers would be any good, but at least they won't be a total joke like Chris Berman.

october23sp
07-15-2010, 01:26 PM
The big thing about Hawk is that he isn't ALWAYS a local broadcaster. When they play on WGN he is the same way. I love it, but I'm just sayin.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-15-2010, 01:27 PM
I wanted to kick him in the groin. Repeatedly.

Why is this in the past tense? :D:

Iwritecode
07-15-2010, 01:54 PM
Come again?

Henry is on another message board with about 3 other posters.

WizardsofOzzie
07-15-2010, 02:10 PM
The big thing about Hawk is that he isn't ALWAYS a local broadcaster. When they play on WGN he is the same way. I love it, but I'm just sayin.
He still gets paid by the White Sox regardless of the game being on WGN, CSN, or WCIU right? If that's the case, then his homerish ways don't matter. If you get paid by a team to broadcast their games, it gives you the right to root for that team until you are blue in the face IMO.

TheOldRoman
07-15-2010, 02:22 PM

Also - he really needs to stop his double "yes" on homeruns. He completely ruined that call.Yeah, I don't like that either. In the past, the color commentator would always jump in on "yes". Stone refuses to do it (though I seem to remember him doing it once and sarcastically overexaggerating it when he covered for DJ back in 07 or so). I guess Hawk figured he needed to spice up the call since nobody joins him anymore.

If there one place that you go to for accurate, critical reviews of sports, it's a men's fashion magazine.Well, they did have the interview with Tom Brady telling us why it isn't cool to wear pleated slacks anymore. So that is kinda like sports, right? Eh?

Harry Chappas
07-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Hello there, presumption.

I agree. GQ is actually a solid magazine with great feature stories that have nothing whatsoever to do with fashion. The writers are first-rate too.

I also don't have a problem with Hawk making the list, but the writer's reasons are all wrong.

Frankfan4life
07-15-2010, 06:53 PM
I understand the criticism of Hawk, and I too get tired of him lamenting a missed call innings later.

However I think the thing most of those criticizing him fail to realize is the place the Sox have in the city's landscape. With the Cubs having a much larger fanbase both locally and nationally, the voice of a diehard White Sox fan on the broadcast is a great contrast. It stants out. It says to a White Sox fan, you're not alone. When I was a young kid I think Hawk always made me feel like the Sox really mattered, even if all my classmates and little league teammates liked the Cubs.

I'm a big fan of the Hawk. I lived in Virginia and California for about 5 years, so had the Extra Innings package though DirecTV...most local announcing teams are both boring and generic. I don't mind homers at all...I think they make the game more interesting..escpacially if you're going to end up listening to them 162 times over the course of a season.

Hawks brings some very unique insights to the game...more than most of the other announcing teams combined. Teaming with Stone, they belong more in the "top 5" then the "bottom 5".

I just don't take my local baseball announcers that seriously...all I know is that my wife (a White Sox fan by marriage :cool:), and our group of friends who are Sox fans have alot of fun with Hawk as the announcer...he's a big part of our memories of the team ("C'mon Timo!"), he wears his emotions on his sleeve (like we do as fans), and sometimes makes us roll our eyes (umpire conspiracies)....but overall the games are more fun with him announcing than they would be with the (typically) more generic types you get in the booth..the types I've listened to via Extra Innings/DirecTV).

So what? He's entertaining, and adds a different spin to a White Sox broadcast that you'll get from any other local broadcast in the country. Somehow, being different must be wrong...I couldn't agree more. I'm glad the Hawk is a Sox homer. I think its great that he makes the Sox stand out. You can put it on the Board, yessss, yeesss!

gaelhound
07-17-2010, 05:05 PM
Hangar18 had a running total.
I love Hangar18