PDA

View Full Version : Ted Lilly

thomas35forever
07-11-2010, 10:57 PM
My Cubs fan friend just texted me and said he'd like to see the Sox trade for Ted Lilly as he'd be good for a team that can score runs. Not a bad idea. He's a free agent after this year, so he could be a good rental.

Craig Grebeck
07-11-2010, 11:03 PM
My Cubs fan friend just texted me and said he'd like to see the Sox trade for Ted Lilly as he'd be good for a team that can score runs. Not a bad idea. He's a free agent after this year, so he could be a good rental.
It depends. If the Sox were to acquire Lilly without any money coming their way, they might be able to give up lesser prospects. That said, he's going to be Type A and might be out of our price range prospect-wise. What else is new?

Jeremy Guthrie is a much better fit, all things considered.

Bob Roarman
07-11-2010, 11:09 PM
He'd also be a fly ball pitcher in a home run friendly park in the AL.

WhiteSox5187
07-11-2010, 11:25 PM
He'd also be a fly ball pitcher in a home run friendly park in the AL.

Wrigley can be plenty friendly to hitters too, but that AL thing might hurt. From what I've read on ESPN it sounds like the Yankees are trying to get him.

Tragg
07-11-2010, 11:26 PM
I cant believe Lilly gets 13 Mill a year. So do Silva and Dempster. Yikes.

kaufsox
07-12-2010, 12:20 AM
I cant believe Lilly gets 13 Mill a year. So do Silva and Dempster. Yikes.

Wow, I wasn't aware the Cubs rotation was that expensive. Silva has been a lucky break for them, but other than Z their starters have been ok-solid. My guess is they will look to dump at least one if not two to get some money off the books. They'd love to be rid of Z, but I don't think many teams want him or will take on his contract. The guy I like in their rotation is Dempster but I wonder what it would take to get him.

Craig Grebeck
07-12-2010, 12:22 AM
Of the Cubs' lefties, I'd love to take Marshall and turn him into a starter again. Never quite understood why they've handled him the way they have.

Foulke You
07-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Of the Cubs' lefties, I'd love to take Marshall and turn him into a starter again. Never quite understood why they've handled him the way they have.
I agree completely. All that kid does is pitch well for them and they keep moving him back and forth from the rotation to the bullpen. In the past when the Cubs were in contention looking to add a piece or two, teams asked about Marshall's availability all the time and they never wanted to part with him. Perhaps the Cubs current situation could change their minds.

PatK
07-12-2010, 12:58 PM
IIRC, Lilly was a .500 pitcher in the AL.

It's easy to look good when you're pitching in the NL Central.

g0g0
07-12-2010, 01:56 PM

Have you looked behind him? Pretty scary this year. He's lucky to be where he's at!

#1swisher
07-14-2010, 09:55 AM
I wouldn't hate this.

SBSoxFan
07-14-2010, 07:09 PM

You're right. I looked up the numbers once and posted them in another thread here. Without delving into all the possible explanations, his W-L record and his ERA significantly improved with his switch to the NL.

Tragg
07-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Here's my question about Lilly. Somehow he's a type A (Peavy is a type B, but okay) which means that whichever team signs him after this year is going to relinquish their top draft choice (unless, I think, it's a real bad team).
what team would relinquish a first round draft choice to sign Lilly?
So, if you trade for him, I'm not so sure you're going to end up with and extra pick.

DirtySox
07-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Here's my question about Lilly. Somehow he's a type A (Peavy is a type B, but okay) which means that whichever team signs him after this year is going to relinquish their top draft choice (unless, I think, it's a real bad team).
what team would relinquish a first round draft choice to sign Lilly?
So, if you trade for him, I'm not so sure you're going to end up with and extra pick.

Elias rankings take into account the current year's performance, and the previous year's performance. With Peavy missing a huge chunk of last year, as well as this year it is easy to see why Lilly has a higher ranking.

A team is only awarded compensatory picks if they offer arbitration to the free agent in question, and that free agent declines it. Type A's who decline will net the first round pick from the eventual signing team and a supplementary pick. If the signing team's 1st round pick would fall in the top 15 picks, the team that offered arbitration will receive that team's second round pick and a supplementary pick instead. Type B's who are offered arbitration and decline it, only garner a supplementary pick to the former team.

All that being said, as you suggest, a team isn't guaranteed to offer arbitration to free agents. It all depends on plenty of factors. GM's need to weigh the risk of a player accepting thereby tying up funds and a roster spot for a player. An example being Jayson Werth, most reports have him 100% set on exploring free agency seeking a significant multi-year deal. The Phillies will absolutely offer him arbitration because they are sure he won't accept it. Lilly's situation might be entirely different. I have no idea what his free agency desires are, but if a team offers him arbitration they are taking the risk that he accepts and remains with that team for 1 year, making a similar amount to the 12 million he made in 2010. With his age, flyball tendencies, and contract, I would assume a team isn't going to offer him arbitration unless they are positive he wants to explore free agency. It is extremely likely that whoever sign's Lilly this offseason won't have to worry about losing picks.