PDA

View Full Version : Daryl Boston

Brian26
07-11-2010, 10:47 PM
Was that Daryl Boston in the dugout this weekend? What exactly is his role with the club right now? Instructional hitting coach?

voodoochile
07-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Maybe he's the designated "don't believe your hype" coach intended to motivate Q and Beckham in particular...

Brian26
07-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Maybe he's the designated "don't believe your hype" coach intended to motivate Q and Beckham in particular...

If that's the case, he needs to stay.

soxfanreggie
07-11-2010, 11:20 PM
Last I knew he was back to being a Minor League roving OF instructor after serving as interim manager of the Intimidators. Maybe he is up working with TCQ.

DrCrawdad
07-12-2010, 12:02 AM
Was that Daryl Boston in the dugout this weekend? What exactly is his role with the club right now? Instructional hitting coach?

Boston is The Friend of The GM guy hanging out in the dugout guy.

LITTLE NELL
07-12-2010, 06:11 AM
Still made one of the greatest catches I ever saw, running towards the left field foul line at full speed he jumped on the low wall, caught the ball and fell into the low boxes.

tacosalbarojas
07-12-2010, 01:34 PM
He came up last year for a while as well as I recall it...maybe the last two years. I think it is sort of an extra hand kind of deal, but there could be something else there too. I seem to remember last year there was a specific reason given or detailed assignment for him.

LoveYourSuit
07-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Boston is one big dude.

soxinem1
07-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Still made one of the greatest catches I ever saw, running towards the left field foul line at full speed he jumped on the low wall, caught the ball and fell into the low boxes.

Wasn't that the catch they showed in the movie 'The Naked Gun'?

DBo also hit one of the longest bombs I ever saw in 1985 off Ken Schrom in MIN. The ball went up three decks in RF. His swing looked like he just flicked his bat.

I also remember him providing one of the few highlights of the 1988 season when Boston was one of three straight White Sox to go yard in a game (against BOS, of all teams, I believe).

They had to delay the game for a few minutes because of all the smoke on the field at Comiskey!

I think Harold will be stepping down soon, and Ozzie will have him on the big club staff. Just MHO.

Ex-Chicagoan
07-12-2010, 05:32 PM
DBo also hit one of the longest bombs I ever saw in 1985 off Ken Schrom in MIN. The ball went up three decks in RF. His swing looked like he just flicked his bat.

OK, I gotta dig out old scorecards tonight, because I also saw Boston hit an insanely long HR in the Dome in '85. We must have been at the same game.

soxinem1
07-12-2010, 05:37 PM
OK, I gotta dig out old scorecards tonight, because I also saw Boston hit an insanely long HR in the Dome in '85. We must have been at the same game.

I'm sure it was. He only hit about three that year. But like you said, that was a missile rocket!!!

jdm2662
07-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Wasn't that the catch they showed in the movie 'The Naked Gun'?

Yes, it was.

I think the Mike Heath they showed catch was against the Sox.

Some player got hit by a car, too!

How about that???

BleacherBandit
07-12-2010, 06:55 PM
http://www.beckett.com/images/pgitems/663250101.jpg

I'm diggin' those glasses.

Brian26
07-12-2010, 09:58 PM
http://www.beckett.com/images/pgitems/663250101.jpg

I'm diggin' those glasses.

Got to love the '87 Topps cards with the wood panel border. Awesome set.

MetroPD
07-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Almost identical to Vance Law's

soxinem1
07-12-2010, 11:45 PM
Almost identical to Vance Law's

Along with Greg Luzinski's, Steve Trout's, and Ron Davis'.

It was the 80's, Baby!!!:bandance::bandance:

broker3d
07-13-2010, 12:20 AM

That was an absolutely phenomenal catch!!! One that I will never forget. Anyone have a link for the video?

tstrike2000
07-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Maybe he was there reliving that catch he made during dare I say, the '87 season perhaps, where I want to say he made a diving catch into the stands down the left field line.

EDIT - Oops, nevermind, I didn't read the rest of the thread and saw someone beat me to it about his catch.

Ranger
07-13-2010, 06:47 PM

Roving outfield instructor. They do that with those minor league instructors where they have them rotate to different locations, including the big club, for a couple of weeks at a time. He's been here since last homestand.

BleacherBandit
07-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Roving outfield instructor. They do that with those minor league instructors where they have them rotate to different locations, including the big club, for a couple of weeks at a time. He's been here since last homestand.

That explains why he isn't filling in for Harold. He's usually the guy that gets that call.