PDA

View Full Version : Looking Ahead: The long road trip

chisoxfanatic
07-11-2010, 09:00 PM
The homestand that was couldn't have gone better. But, after this well-deserved break, our Sox are going to have to turn their attention to the road. How many wins are you predicting?

GoGoCrede
07-11-2010, 09:03 PM
I went with 6, but 5 would be okay with me, I guess.

sox1970
07-11-2010, 09:06 PM
I looked up the Twins, A's, and Mariners rotations. It's going to be:

Danks-Slowey L
Floyd- Liriano W
Buehrle- Pavano L
Garcia-Blackburn W

Hudson-Bedard (if he's ready) W
Danks-Fister W
Floyd-Felix Hernandez L

Buehrle- Cahill L
Garcia-Mazzaro W
Hudson-Sheets W

I voted 5-5. I'll change it to 6-4.

Frater Perdurabo
I think they will split in MIN and win 2/3 in SEA and OAK.

Ron Karkovice
For all of you who are wondering:

4 minn
3 sea
3 oak

2, 3, 2 = 7 wins out of 10

WhiteSox56
07-11-2010, 09:13 PM

:)

Zakath
07-11-2010, 09:13 PM
I think they will split in MIN and win 2/3 in SEA and OAK.

Thinking the same thing. You have to take series against teams like Seattle and Oakland. I think we're going to have a big(ger) target (no pun intended) on our backs heading into Minnesota in first place, and we have to live up to it. Getting a split out of there would mean 4 fewer chances for Minnesota to catch up.

chisoxfanatic
07-11-2010, 09:19 PM
I originally thought we'd split in Minnesota, win 2 of 3 in Seattle, then 1 of 3 in Oakland. But, now, with this huge splurge of victories, add one more win to the Oakland series. I think we'll get 6 wins out of this road trip.

GoGoCrede
07-11-2010, 09:21 PM
To be honest, I don't remember how we did last time we played in Target Field (1 out of 3, I think?) but we seemed to play better there than in the Dome. So I'm hopeful. But I think a split in Minnesota is likely.

sox1970
07-11-2010, 09:22 PM
To be honest, I don't remember how we did last time we played in Target Field (1 out of 3, I think?) but we seemed to play better there than in the Dome. So I'm hopeful. But I think a split in Minnesota is likely.

They split a quick 2-gamer in May.

whitesox4eva
07-11-2010, 10:16 PM
I voted 10 wins. I really don't see any reason we can't win them all if our pitching remains as dominate as it has. We may not score a ton of runs against King Felix, and Pavano but I don't see Seattle scoring many runs against our pitchers either. If we do lose a game (In my mind) it will be against pavano because the twins offense isn't a push over, although it is easier without justin if he is still out. Just my thoughts.

soxfanreggie
07-11-2010, 10:35 PM
I wish we didn't have the All-Star break, as I think we would have done even better on this swing if we didn't have a longer-than-normal break impacting our momentum.

Ron Karkovice
07-11-2010, 10:37 PM
I wish we didn't have the All-Star break, as I think we would have done even better on this swing if we didn't have a longer-than-normal break impacting our momentum.

I hear you, but the MLB season is insanely long with very few days off. I'm glad the guys get 3 days of rest.

BadBobbyJenks
07-11-2010, 11:08 PM
---

WhiteSox5187
07-11-2010, 11:17 PM
I'd be thrilled with five, but this team is capable of winning up to seven...it is also capable of losing seven!

I think the team has to cool down from the pace it is on now and could settle into playing .500 ball.

Nelfox02
07-11-2010, 11:47 PM
[QUOTE

I think the team has to cool down from the pace it is on now and could settle into playing .500 ball.[/QUOTE]

.500 on this trip is okay with me---dont get me wrong I would certianly want to aim for 6 or better, but if they can at least split the twins series and get 3 of the six out west.....that works

if they win 6 or more on this ten game set......pretty nice.

Procol Harum
07-12-2010, 10:04 AM
You'd think that the team would just naturally have a little bit of difficulty kicking it into high gear after a big 3-day break at home and whatnot. On the other hand you gotta hope that they've kinda imbibed winning in their mental memory here of late and their confidence and instincts are still high. I'll go with 6 wins.

Note: normally I'd be too busy eating churros to vote, but I gotta watch those things these days--maybe a half of one later... :bandance:

g0g0
07-12-2010, 10:12 AM
I'm taking 7. I wish they didn't have to stop for the All-Star break!

TheOldRoman
07-12-2010, 10:44 AM
I looked up the Twins, A's, and Mariners rotations. It's going to be:

Danks-Slowey L
Floyd- Liriano W
Buehrle- Pavano L
Garcia-Blackburn W

Hudson-Bedard (if he's ready) W
Danks-Fister W
Floyd-Felix Hernandez L

Buehrle- Cahill L
Garcia-Mazzaro W
Hudson-Sheets W

I voted 5-5. I'll change it to 6-4.

Huh? I understand that anything can happen in baseball and we could lose any of the games above, but unless you are picking at random saying "they are bound to lose a few", I can't see picking those games as losses. The Sox have pretty large pitching advantages in both of those games.

sox1970
07-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Huh? I understand that anything can happen in baseball and we could lose any of the games above, but unless you are picking at random saying "they are bound to lose a few", I can't see picking those games as losses. The Sox have pretty large pitching advantages in both of those games.

You're right. Sox will win all four in Minnesota.

hawkjt
07-12-2010, 02:56 PM
I liked Mark Kotsay's answer when asked about the break taking away momentum...something like; '' a few days does not take away a confidence that is the essence of momentum, it is a mental state,and that will continue until it gets torn down ''

Bottom line, the players ended in a confident and relaxed playing mode, and that will not erode in 3 days of laying around.

TheOldRoman
07-12-2010, 03:06 PM
You're right. Sox will win all four in Minnesota.Well, I am not saying that. I just found it strange that you picked those two matchups in favor of the Twins. I know the Sox likely aren't going to go 10-0 on this road trip, so they are going to randomly lose at least a few games. I am curious why you picked those games as losses.

sox1970
07-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Well, I am not saying that. I just found it strange that you picked those two matchups in favor of the Twins. I know the Sox likely aren't going to go 10-0 on this road trip, so they are going to randomly lose at least a few games. I am curious why you picked those games as losses.

I think I picked those two because-- first, I figured we'd get a split. So I thought the Sox would murder Blackburn, who has been terrible. And then I picked Floyd to win, because he's been dominating. That left the Danks and Buehrle games, but really, the Sox are capable of winning any of them. 3 out of 4 would be great. If the Sox get to Detroit with 60 wins, we're in real good shape.

sox1970
07-17-2010, 12:05 AM
Mariners Series--

Mon: Hudson vs Pauley
Tue: Danks vs Fister
Wed: Floyd vs Hernandez

Might behoove us to win the first two.

chisoxfanatic
07-17-2010, 12:29 AM
Mariners Series--

Mon: Hudson vs Pauley
Tue: Danks vs Fister
Wed: Floyd vs Hernandez

Might behoove us to win the first two.
No problem! I think we'll double fist them. :redneck

harwar
07-17-2010, 10:29 AM
yea, six sounds about right

Hitmen77
07-17-2010, 03:42 PM
So far after two games, the Sox have given up 14 runs. Five of those are officially unearned, but those first 6 runs given up on Thurs. were due to a dropped ball to.

That makes eleven runs given up in two games due to miscues. Wow. Further proof that we need solid defense if we're going to go anywhere. The offense have been good enough to win and the pitching has been good when errors aren't involved.

If we're going to continue flubbing plays, then we'll be lucky to get 5 wins on this trip. If we can get solid defense, then I like our chances.

Hitmen77
07-23-2010, 01:34 PM
We're heading into the last leg of our road trip and the Sox are 3-4 so far. The Twins have gained 1.5 games on us and the Tigers have lost a game in the standings to us.

We could easily have been 6-1 so far on this trip if it weren't for 5 unearned runs in game 2 vs MN and Jenks' two meltdowns. So, it's not like we're 3-4 because the opponent totally outplayed/dominated us in these games. I just hope at the end of the season we're not talking about these "shoulda/coulda/wouldas"

They have to take 2 of 3 in Oakland to come home with a 5-5 record on this trip.