PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Manuel?

balboner
06-23-2002, 03:43 PM
Anyone that has followed the Sox this year can tell that this team could care less right now. The question I have is whether or not you think Manuel would have been fired by Lenny if he was a white manager? Not trying to create a bad scenario, but people can't tell me they havent thought of this already

duke of dorwood
06-23-2002, 04:02 PM
Such a big thing is made about "minority" managers, and how our owner likes to crusade for this, it would be the last thing he does. Even though this is a classic underachieving team, and has no heart, he wont be fired.

chisoxt
06-23-2002, 04:03 PM
Well, if KW really wanted to dump Jerry, he could always replace him with another manager of color.

I will say this about Manuel. I was never a big believer of the Point A to Point B and the point B to Point C guy theory until this year and watching Manuel lose the confidence of this team. It is unbelievable how mismanaged this team is on the field (and in the front office I might add too). Think about those two days against the yankees when Manual grossly mismanaged the bullpen to blow two games after we were leading and how much that brought the team down. Think about how Royce Calyton was supposed to be benched but you watch the start game of the game and there is ole' Mr. .190 himself in the starting lineup. You have Gary Glover miscast as a starter and Rocky Biddle miscast as a reliever. He has guys trying to bunt that have never bunted sucessfully in their lives. My God, is Manuel that stupid or is KW making some of these bad decisions.

I have a sinking feeling that this will get much worst before it gets better.

Tragg
06-23-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Such a big thing is made about "minority" managers, and how our owner likes to crusade for this, it would be the last thing he does. Even though this is a classic underachieving team, and has no heart, he wont be fired.

If he wants a minority manager, fine - fire manuel and hire a competent minority manager.

Consistent with that theme, notice that manuel, once again, refused to pinch hit for clayton - that only happens if we are so lucky to have manuel tossed.
And, hey, I thought clayton was supposed to be on long term bench duty, except when facing lefties. Well changed his mind again.

duke of dorwood
06-23-2002, 04:08 PM
It's group stupidity

Jerry_Manuel
06-23-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
And, hey, I thought clayton was supposed to be on long term bench duty, except when facing lefties. Well changed his mind again.

Sorta.

Royce does play vs. lefties. However, Manuel has said that if he hits, he'll play. He had a hit on Friday vs. Glavine, so in our managers head, that means Royce can hit. While in reality it shows that anyone can find a hole.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
06-23-2002, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Tragg

If he wants a minority manager, fine - fire manuel and hire a competent minority manager.

Consistent with that theme, notice that manuel, once again, refused to pinch hit for clayton - that only happens if we are so lucky to have manuel tossed.

What's all this bull***** about keeping manuel cause he's black? I don't care if the guy was purple, he's a *****ty manager. He needs to be replaced & replaced by someone that can get the job done. I don't give a rats a$$ who it is as long as he lights a fire under this underachieving team.

voodoochile
06-23-2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Sorta.

Royce does play vs. lefties. However, Manuel has said that if he hits, he'll play. He had a hit on Friday vs. Glavine, so in our managers head, that means Royce can hit. While in reality it shows that anyone can find a hole.

Not being a Royce supporter myself, I do want to point out that he did come within inches of driving in two runs in the 8th (7ty?) and only a diving stop prevented it from happening...

Sigh... I suppose that means he's on a roll in Manuel's mind...

Jerry_Manuel
06-23-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Sigh... I suppose that means he's on a roll in Manuel's mind...

Only 87 more games till Royce goes away.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
06-23-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Only 87 more games till Royce goes away.

:hitless

"says who!?!?!?"

:jerry

"As long as I'm here my son is staying!!!"

:KW

"got that right & that'll be a long time"

duke of dorwood
06-23-2002, 05:45 PM
Seems like forever