PDA

View Full Version : Most classic batting stance.

LITTLE NELL
07-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Just thinking while watching tonights game about the player that had the most classic stance. Been a fan since the early 50s and I have to go with Mickey Mantle, not only was his stance classic his swing was such that he looked great even when he struck out. Ted Williams would be right behind the Mick.

Crede24Thome25
07-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Stan Musial without a doubt. Most classic stance ever.

LITTLE NELL
07-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Stan Musial without a doubt. Most classic stance ever.

Wish I still had his autograph which I got at the Urinal in 1958.
He was 3rd after Mickey and Teddy.

GoGoCrede
07-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Youkilis.

PeteWard
07-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Dick Allen's was frightening to pitchers.

Nellie_Fox
07-11-2010, 02:37 AM
Dick Allen's was frightening to pitchers.Yes. Yes it was.

FarWestChicago
07-11-2010, 07:15 AM
Dick Allen's was frightening to pitchers.

Yes. Yes it was.It's a good thing, and almost miraculous, Dick Allen never killed a pitcher.

SI1020
07-11-2010, 10:22 AM
It's a good thing, and almost miraculous, Dick Allen never killed a pitcher. He hit the ball as hard, or harder than any MLB player I've ever seen. He did it swinging a 44 ounce bat.

BleacherBandit
07-11-2010, 12:38 PM
I don't know what classic necessarily means, but Babe Ruth had one of the most iconic stances ever, obviously. Very old school.

pythons007
07-11-2010, 11:23 PM
If we are going strictly by batting stances, I have a couple.

Julio Franco and how he pointed the bat at the pitcher when it was over his head.

Eric Davis and from how I recall his spread stance and where he held the bat near his crotch (similar to Rios)

Tony Batista literally stood completely opposite than how any batter faces a pitcher. His legs were square to the mound, and as the pitch came would take a big step toward the plate.

Craig Counsell use to squat down low and as he stood up raised his bat with his arms extended to the sky.

Mickey Tettleton would stand straight up and almost had the bat fall out of his hands.

Chuck Knoblaugh used to show his entire number to the pitcher while batting.

Ah, the memories of 80-90 baseball. Good times.

chisoxfanatic
07-12-2010, 12:35 AM
My favorite of all time: Nomar Garciaparra

ilsox7
07-12-2010, 12:44 AM
The most beautiful: Ken Griffey, Jr. Even his strikeouts were a thing of beauty.

doublem23
07-12-2010, 12:47 AM
The most beautiful: Ken Griffrey, Jr. Even his strikeouts were a thing of beauty.

I was going to say Ken Griffey, Jr., too. I don't know if it qualifies as "classic," but I think just about every kid in my age group who played baseball modeled their stance after Junior's.

thomas35forever
07-12-2010, 01:09 AM
Chuck Knoblauch for sure.

ilsox7
07-12-2010, 01:12 AM
I was going to say Ken Griffey, Jr., too. I don't know if it qualifies as "classic," but I think just about every kid in my age group who played baseball modeled their stance after Junior's.

His fluid, upper-cut swing with the high follow-through that only lefties seem to have was awesome. I also loved Robin Ventura's open stance.

Nellie_Fox
07-12-2010, 02:05 AM
From my youth, you have to give a nod to Ernie Banks. Every kid would imitate it. Right elbow held out at a 90 angle from the body, fingers on both hands wiggling around on the handle.

white sox bill
07-12-2010, 10:42 AM
From my youth, you have to give a nod to Ernie Banks. Every kid would imitate it. Right elbow held out at a 90 angle from the body, fingers on both hands wiggling around on the handle.
Mr Cub one of the few players I liked on that team.....another was Andre Dawson, he had a menacing way of waving that bat. I was growing up when the A's were winning titles left and right and tried imitating Joe Rudy and his open stance, he almost had that back foot out of batters box.

Red Barchetta
07-12-2010, 11:06 AM
I always liked George Brett. He took the principals of Charlie Lau and executed them perfectly without over-exagerating some of the principals like the players under Walt Hrynak.

Dick Allen
07-12-2010, 02:02 PM
He hit the ball as hard, or harder than any MLB player I've ever seen. He did it swinging a 44 ounce bat.Hence, my favorite Sox player ever. It was actually a 42-ounce bat. I know because he told me.:redneck

Paulwny
07-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Yaz, with the bat held high.

TheVulture
07-12-2010, 04:25 PM
From Sox baseball, how about Harold?

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/subgenius88/baines-harold-4-cws.jpg

Or Robin?
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/subgenius88/rv.jpg

Or from the other side...
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/subgenius88/andre_dawson_expos.jpg

LITTLE NELL
07-12-2010, 04:36 PM

I loved imitating our own Nellie Fox with a big wad of bubble gum instead of that garbage Nellie put in his jaw. I did not own a bottle bat, in fact I never saw one sold in Mages or the other sporting good stores.

HebrewHammer
07-13-2010, 01:15 AM
I'm surprised Frank Thomas hasn't been mentioned yet. I still remember the first time I saw him step into the box. The bat looked like a twig in his hands.

I think Ichiro's is also fairly iconic. It's definitely not a "classic" swing, but he's had a lot of success with it.

Nellie_Fox
07-13-2010, 01:57 AM
I loved imitating our own Nellie Fox with a big wad of bubble gum instead of that garbage Nellie put in his jaw. I did not own a bottle bat, in fact I never saw one sold in Mages or the other sporting good stores.I used a wad of penny Tootsie Rolls to bulge my cheek, because then I could spit brown juice as well. And, of course, I'd start my at bat by acting like I was scraping away the back line of the batter's box.

I saw kid-sized Nellie Fox autograph bats, but they were the same as any other bat. I think they just had generic kids' bats (27, 28, 29 inch) with different names on them. I never owned a new bat anyway. Most of mine were held together with nails and electrical tape.

Paulwny
07-13-2010, 12:52 PM
I loved imitating our own Nellie Fox with a big wad of bubble gum instead of that garbage Nellie put in his jaw. I did not own a bottle bat, in fact I never saw one sold in Mages or the other sporting good stores.

I used a wad of penny Tootsie Rolls to bulge my cheek, because then I could spit brown juice as well. And, of course, I'd start my at bat by acting like I was scraping away the back line of the batter's box.

I saw kid-sized Nellie Fox autograph bats, but they were the same as any other bat. I think they just had generic kids' bats (27, 28, 29 inch) with different names on them. I never owned a new bat anyway. Most of mine were held together with nails and electrical tape.

I waded up black lilcorice into my cheek.
I used a Jackie Robinson bat, it came close to being a bottle bat.