PDA

View Full Version : Sox are scouting Dan Haren

Rockabilly
07-10-2010, 02:16 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/MLB-latest-news-from-July-070110

I would rather have a hitter but Haren would be a great fit..

Next year rotation would be. if we were to get Haren

Buehrle
Haren
Danks
Peavy
Floyd

WOW!!

Boondock Saint
07-10-2010, 02:22 PM
If the Sox make that trade, we can all kiss Konerko goodbye next year.

sox1970
07-10-2010, 02:27 PM
It said they could have been scouting Nolasco, too. Plus there was a game going on. Maybe they were scouting a bat...like LaRoche. Sox aren't getting Haren.

Rockabilly
07-10-2010, 02:30 PM
It said they could have been scouting Nolasco, too. Plus there was a game going on. Maybe they were scouting a bat...like LaRoche. Sox aren't getting Haren.

I would be happy with Nolasco or Haren..

I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox get LaRoche but I think to beat teams like the Yankees in a 7 game series, you need top quality pitchers such as Dan Haren or a elite bat like Dunn or Fielder.

Rdy2PlayBall
07-10-2010, 02:32 PM
if the sox make that trade, we can all kiss konerko goodbye next year.why?

Red Barchetta
07-10-2010, 02:34 PM

Buehrle
Haren
Danks
Peavy
Floyd

WOW!!

Wow is right, however I find it interesting how eager we are to get rid of our 9-3 5th starter. I always felt the secret to our success in 2005 was due to the strength of our 5th starter (Jon Garland), and at this point, I have more confidence in Freddy than Jake Peavy. Anytime muscle separates from the bone, scar tissue is involved in the healing. This might be career ending or at least career impacting.

Here's one for Sweaty Freddy! :gulp:

Rockabilly
07-10-2010, 02:38 PM

Couldn't the Sox use Jenks money for next season on Konerko..

TomBradley72
07-10-2010, 03:03 PM

Buehrle
Haren
Danks
Peavy
Floyd

WOW!!

I'm not counting on Peavy for 2011.

They may not be either....might be looking for a replecement for Peavy instead of Garicia...if Peavy makes it back, it's upside.

soxinem1
07-10-2010, 03:16 PM
This is one reason why our minor leaguers rarely reach a successfull trip the the big leagues.

They read all this stuff too, and in a time where we have a kid who pitched a few solid games last year and is among the league leaders in ERA, wins, and K's in AAA this year, all the talk is getting someone who will hold them back.

BOS gave Lester and Buchholz their shots, MIN gave Slowey, Baker, Liriano, and Blackburn their shots, LAAA gave Weaver, Sanders, and Santana their shots, and even NYY refused to buy a starter this off-season and committed to Phil Hughes.

These are the teams that will buy players in a heartbeat, yet realize they have to give their younger players a chance to prove they can do their jobs.

Here, they are lucky to get 2-3 straight starts and if they do it is usually because the team is up ****s creek and has no choice.

Forget Haren or any of his type for now.

Get a bat and let Hudson have his shot.

Coops4Aces
07-10-2010, 03:29 PM
No thanks. Hoping Hudson earns the spot. Haren is overrated and overpaid. His AL ERA would be over 5.

Boondock Saint
07-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Couldn't the Sox use Jenks money for next season on Konerko..

Assuming that the Sox have their personal cap set at a similar level to this year, Haren's salary will take up $12m, about the same as Konerko this year. Jenks made $6m this year, so in order for Konerko to stick around under JR's salary limit, he'd have to take around 6-7 million, and I don't see him taking a 50% discount to stay here after an all star kind of season. He's likely got one more contract left in him, and I don't see him blowing it like that.

mzh
07-10-2010, 03:36 PM
No thanks. Hoping Hudson earns the spot. Haren is overrated and overpaid. His AL ERA would be over 5.
Haren pitched 3 years in the AL, and had 43 wins with a 3.60 ERA. His last year before getting traded to the NL it was 3.07. I want Hudson to get a chance, but Haren is no slouch.

TomBradley72
07-10-2010, 03:50 PM
This is one reason why our minor leaguers rarely reach a successfull trip the the big leagues.

They read all this stuff too, and in a time where we have a kid who pitched a few solid games last year and is among the league leaders in ERA, wins, and K's in AAA this year, all the talk is getting someone who will hold them back.

BOS gave Lester and Buchholz their shots, MIN gave Slowey, Baker, Liriano, and Blackburn their shots, LAAA gave Weaver, Sanders, and Santana their shots, and even NYY refused to buy a starter this off-season and committed to Phil Hughes.

These are the teams that will buy players in a heartbeat, yet realize they have to give their younger players a chance to prove they can do their jobs.

Jenks got a shot in 2005 from AA.

2008- Ramirez, Quentin, Floyd and Danks

In 2009- Beckham

2010- Santos, Viciedo, Lillibridge

How do we not give young players a chance?

We're VERY thin after Hudson....I don't mind looking for another arm, especially if one of the other starters goes down...we're screwed.

Zisk77
07-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Assuming that the Sox have their personal cap set at a similar level to this year, Haren's salary will take up $12m, about the same as Konerko this year. Jenks made $6m this year, so in order for Konerko to stick around under JR's salary limit, he'd have to take around 6-7 million, and I don't see him taking a 50% discount to stay here after an all star kind of season. He's likely got one more contract left in him, and I don't see him blowing it like that.

Normally I'd agree with you. But, with the current economy and how little money most teams are throwing around a doubt anyone would give Paulie a deal where he is currently making for even a one year deal. 6 or 7 mil a year is about what i'd expect he'll get for a year and whose going to give a long term deal...look what Abreu signed for and he's more versitile than Paulie.

Crede24Thome25
07-10-2010, 04:26 PM
I would be happy with Nolasco or Haren..

I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox get LaRoche but I think to beat teams like the Yankees in a 7 game series, you need top quality pitchers such as Dan Haren or a elite bat like Dunn or Fielder.
I'm really leaning towards Laroche over Dunn as of late. He wouldn't cost much and has power.

Lillian
07-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Remember, teams only use their four top starters in the Playoffs, therefore Hudson would not be included. Unless K.W. thinks that there is someone whom he want to upgrade, it doesn't make much sense to give up a lot of prospects for Haren. Moreover, what would you do with him next year when Peavy comes back? That contract is also not within the Sox budget.

Dick Allen
07-10-2010, 04:59 PM
I would be in favor of getting Haren, check out his batting average this year.

BringHomeDaBacon
07-10-2010, 07:50 PM
LaRoche scratched tonight - not in lineup............

soltrain21
07-10-2010, 07:57 PM

Buehrle
Haren
Danks
Peavy
Floyd

WOW!!

It says IN THE ARTICLE that they aren't sure if the Sox were scouting Haren.

Boondock Saint
07-10-2010, 08:04 PM

Pfft. Details.

ilsox7
07-10-2010, 08:05 PM

FYI, Jenks makes $7.5MM this year.

WizardsofOzzie
07-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Wow is right, however I find it interesting how eager we are to get rid of our 9-3 5th starter.
That's what I was thinking. If Freddy is gonna want big time dollars you obviously let him go, but he's been nothing but solid for us since he came back. If we can get a reasonable deal worked out with him, I say re-sign him.

Tragg
07-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Hopefully we aren't scouting him and hopefully Hudson pitches well tomorrow.
To heck with NL "aces"

VMSNS
07-11-2010, 01:46 AM
Hudson needs to be successful in order for the Sox to make the playoffs this year. It's a lot of pressure for a kid, and he may just not be able to handle it. I think the Sox front office is taking the "wait and see" approach with Hudson. If he were to crash in burn, I think Kenny would be ready and willing to make a move for another pitcher. If Hudson does fine in his first few starts, then Kenny might be targeting another bat instead.

If the Sox decide to acquire another pitcher for the rotation, Haren would be an excellent choice, I think.

Domeshot17
07-11-2010, 02:19 AM
Maybe its a 2010 move, not next year. The truth is Buehrle Danks Floyd Freddy/Hudson doesn't match up well in a series with the Yanks or Red Sox.

Foulke You
07-11-2010, 02:44 AM
Hopefully we aren't scouting him and hopefully Hudson pitches well tomorrow.
To heck with NL "aces"
Haren was a pretty solid pitcher for 3 years in Oakland in addition to his time in Arizona. I wouldn't call him an "ace" in either league but definitely a #2 or #3 quality arm.

harwar
07-11-2010, 07:00 AM
Yea, i think that Haren would be a replacement for Peavy since, with the kind of surgery he's having, we're entering unknown waters .. i don't see how we could afford him though, in players or money .. any talks about Haren would probably start with Hudson and Beckham and go from there .. i think we have to see what Hudson can do though ..

Tragg
07-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Haren was a pretty solid pitcher for 3 years in Oakland in addition to his time in Arizona. I wouldn't call him an "ace" in either league but definitely a #2 or #3 quality arm.

Arizona sent like 4 top prospects to Oakland for him, including 2 that had been ours. That trade didn't do Arizona a damn bit of good...probably hurt them.

I just don't think we should trade our young players because we have so few of them. Unless it's some ridiculous offer.

He's a good pitcher; but he's also $13 million for 2 more years.
At some point you've got to use young players.

voodoochile
07-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Arizona sent like 4 top prospects to Oakland for him, including 2 that had been ours. That trade didn't do Arizona a damn bit of good...probably hurt them.

I just don't think we should trade our young players because we have so few of them. Unless it's some ridiculous offer.

Well one thing to consider is that moneywise things may have just loosened up. After today's win, I expect the team to sell a fair amount of partial season plans and single game tickets in the next 3 days.

Tragg
07-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Well one thing to consider is that moneywise things may have just loosened up. After today's win, I expect the team to sell a fair amount of partial season plans and single game tickets in the next 3 days.
I'm thinking about next year's budget. I know Konerko comes off the books, but you can't replace him on the cheap with some Lyle Overbay type. It would be nice if Viciedo could play a position, but he sure can rake.

Maybe they can move Linebrink if they pull 50% of his salary. Nice little showcase today.
Hudson struck out 4 today; I think he'll be a good pitcher, but it takes time.

I would think today's Haren is worth 1 top prospect and maybe a B level if you're picking up all of that money.

kittle42
07-11-2010, 08:18 PM

Don't steal rockabilly's thunder. Rumors are all sports is about!!!

soxinem1
07-11-2010, 08:30 PM
I'm thinking about next year's budget. I know Konerko comes off the books, but you can't replace him on the cheap with some Lyle Overbay type. It would be nice if Viciedo could play a position, but he sure can rake.

Maybe they can move Linebrink if they pull 50% of his salary. Nice little showcase today.
Hudson struck out 4 today; I think he'll be a good pitcher, but it takes time.

I would think today's Haren is worth 1 top prospect and maybe a B level if you're picking up all of that money.

That price for Haren would be cheap considering what we gave up for a hurt Peavy, and picked up his entire contract as well.

tm1119
07-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Id be more than happy to settle for Nolasco. We realistically only need a 3rd or 4th starter behind Buehrle, Danks, and Gavin. And if Freddy is somehow able to keep this up we can definitely afford to get a much lesser pitcher than Oswalt or Haren. Plus Im not giving up on Hudson to be a solid pitcher for us by any means.

I wonder what it would take to get Nolasco and Cantu from the Marlins?

Craig Grebeck
07-11-2010, 10:27 PM
A lot. I'm not big on acquiring a guy the team will either have to give a raise to or non-tender. I'd much rather go after a veteran.

Rockabilly
07-11-2010, 11:14 PM

If the Sox were talking trades with Seattle about Lee and might talk to Houston about Oswalt. I'm pretty sure our scouts were there for Haren and Nolasco.

Tragg
07-11-2010, 11:18 PM
That price for Haren would be cheap considering what we gave up for a hurt Peavy, and picked up his entire contract as well.
We paid top dollar for Peavy.
Maybe there's another way to look at it.

Well, what price did we sell Javy V for?
One top prospect, who had just finished A ball. (and a C prospect; but we also through in Logan).

I guess I would just like to see us give what we get for a change. We got 1 prospect; let's give 1 prospect.

tm1119
07-11-2010, 11:48 PM
A lot. I'm not big on acquiring a guy the team will either have to give a raise to or non-tender. I'd much rather go after a veteran.

Even if that raise still only brings his contract to almost a 1/3 of what Oswalt will make, and 1/2 of Haren's? Just saying.... Nolasco only makes 3.8 mil right now, even if he gets raised to 6 or 7 mil next season thats still very reasonable for a solid starting pitcher.

Craig Grebeck
07-11-2010, 11:49 PM
Even if that raise still only brings his contract to almost a 1/3 of what Oswalt will make, and 1/2 of Haren's? Just saying.... Nolasco only makes 3.8 mil right now, even if he gets raised to 6 or 7 mil next season thats still very reasonable for a solid starting pitcher.
Do we slot him above Hudson? I'd rather see that money go elsewhere with a viable in-house option like Dan.

As far as Oswalt and Haren go: one won't come here and the other is a pie-in-the-sky trade target. I'm on record as being interested in neither.

PatK
07-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Wow is right, however I find it interesting how eager we are to get rid of our 9-3 5th starter. I always felt the secret to our success in 2005 was due to the strength of our 5th starter (Jon Garland), :gulp:

Garland wasn't the #5 in 2005. El Duque was

Carolina Kenny
07-12-2010, 02:17 PM

Not if Konerko hands Chairman another ball at the upcoming Series Winner Rally.

Frater Perdurabo
07-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Not if Konerko hands Chairman another ball at the upcoming Series Winner Rally.

If the Sox win it all this year, maybe we need to start signing Paulie to one-year contracts.

AzureJazzMan
07-13-2010, 01:35 PM
I know it is "unpopular" to feel this way...But, I would definitely be willing to trade Beckham in a deal for Haren. Unlike the Cliff Lee deal, Haren is under contract until 2013 at around 13 mil. per which makes it worthwhile (at least to me :D:).

Additionally, the Dbacks are looking to unload Chad Qualls, and have become impatient with Mark Reynolds. Do you think they would do a trash for trash swap? You know Tehan and Linebrink for Qualls and Reynolds, oe something like that?

DSpivack
07-13-2010, 02:04 PM
I know it is "unpopular" to feel this way...But, I would definitely be willing to trade Beckham in a deal for Haren. Unlike the Cliff Lee deal, Haren is under contract until 2013 at around 13 mil. per which makes it worthwhile (at least to me :D:).

Additionally, the Dbacks are looking to unload Chad Qualls, and have become impatient with Mark Reynolds. Do you think they would do a trash for trash swap? You know Tehan and Linebrink for Qualls and Reynolds, oe something like that?

:rolling:

RockJock07
07-13-2010, 05:08 PM

I'm not opposed to trading Beckham, has to be the perfect deal though.

Referring to Reynolds as trash is a little over the top and he just signed a extension if I'm not mistaken.

AzureJazzMan
07-13-2010, 05:59 PM
I'm not opposed to trading Beckham, has to be the perfect deal though.

Referring to Reynolds as trash is a little over the top and he just signed a extension if I'm not mistaken.

Ok, perhaps you're right...trash was just the first phrase that came to mind.

As for Reynolds, back in March he signed more of a restructured contract than extension. The idea was to buy out his eligibility. Basically, it is a three-year, $14.5 million contract, with an $11 million club option for a fourth year. The deal is backloaded, as Reynolds will earn just $500,000 this season, but his contract escalates to $5 Mil for 2011, $7.5 million for 2012 (he already received his million dollar signing bonus).

I liken it to the 3 year $14 million dollar deal we signed Teahen to. Same disappointment as well from our fans as to theirs regarding both guys. But, if they have no patience, we should give them a sniff and see what they think. Worth a shot at least.

As for the trade... Beckham + Marquez + Torres + Teahen and Linebrink

for

Haren + Chad Qualls + Mark Reynolds and LaRoche (though I would prefer to get Kelly Johnson from them, somehow)

Craig Grebeck
07-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Mark Reynolds, despite his faults, has hit twenty home runs this season. Your proposed deal can't possibly be serious.

AzureJazzMan
07-13-2010, 06:30 PM
Mark Reynolds, despite his faults, has hit twenty home runs this season. Your proposed deal can't possibly be serious.

Why not? Again, it's worth a shot to see where their new regime is coming from, and how much they want to distance themselves from what Josh Byrnes had already put in place.

DiPoto is now the GM and Gibson is the Manager and they want to put their "stamp (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/2010/07/02/20100702diamondbacks-dipoto-gibson-given-free-rein.html)" on the team.

"Gibson said he will use his bench more often than Hinch did, make alterations to the inconsistent bullpen and find a way to have hitters cut down on strikeouts."

So, I would say it's not as far fetched as it may initially appear. It could simply be a matter of finding the right combination.

Craig Grebeck
07-13-2010, 06:35 PM
Why not? Again, it's worth a shot to see where their new regime is coming from, and how much they want to distance themselves from what Josh Byrnes had already put in place.

DiPoto is now the GM and Gibson is the Manager and they want to put their "stamp (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/2010/07/02/20100702diamondbacks-dipoto-gibson-given-free-rein.html)" on the team.

"Gibson said he will use his bench more often than Hinch did, make alterations to the inconsistent bullpen and find a way to have hitters cut down on strikeouts."

So, I would say it's not as far fetched as it may initially appear. It could simply be a matter of finding the right combination.
You are offering five guys. Most of whom have almost no value. The one who has value, Gordon Beckham, is mired in a terrible, no good, awful sophomore slump. Those five in exchange for Danny Haren, their best pitcher, Adam LaRoche, their most realistic and most valuable trading chip, Mark Reynolds, a prolific home run hitter, who in his worst season is putting up an .800 OPS, and Chad Qualls, who is having a godawful season but comes off the books after 2010.

So again -- why would they take back (mostly) trash in exchange for some fairly valuable assets?

JermaineDye05
07-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Heyman tweeting that the Tigers are the favorites for Haren.

Corlose 15
07-23-2010, 06:14 PM
Heyman tweeting that the Tigers are the favorites for Haren.

The Tigers and Twins are both on his no-trade list.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/dan-haren-arizona-diamondbacks-detroit-tigers-minnesota-twins-072310

getonbckthr
07-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Ken Rosenthal basically just said on MLBN that Haren is going to the Yankees just a matter who goes in return. He said Arizona is telling teams they are zeroing in on 1 team and its believed to be the NYY.

kittle42
07-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Ken Rosenthal basically just said on MLBN that Haren is going to the Yankees just a matter who goes in return. He said Arizona is telling teams they are zeroing in on 1 team and its believed to be the NYY.

Let them have him. For this season, I don't see a turnaround. Just my .02.

JermaineDye05
07-23-2010, 06:53 PM

I ****ing hate the Yankees. It's better than the Tigers or Twins, but still, the Yankees? GMAB.

getonbckthr
07-23-2010, 07:09 PM
I wonder if the most over-rated player possibly in the history of baseball, Joba Chamberlain, would be involved.